Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Sappo569 posted:

The problem with the ipd seems to be on can crank the lenses to both ends of the spectrum and not really see any difference , so I usually just leave it in the middle or .65

You should really have it measured by an eye doctor. Or maybe there's an app for it, I dunno. Either way it does actually matter. I'm not sure how it works for the Rift, as I have a Vive, but the principles are the same. What matters most is that the headset is actually situated on your head properly so that the centers of the lenses are aligned properly with your eyeballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So I burned out on the main game before Horizons came out and I'm still generally one of the people who griped about the lack of depth to most of the content. The general response to Engineers I saw in this thread was that it added new stuff to do but didn't fundamentally change the game experience for people like me, but if multicrew works out and they've generally improved the multiplayer aspects of the game such that playing with friends is both practical and rewarding I'd probably be interested again. Any news on general coop support?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

apropos man posted:

The CPU must be taking so many different factors into account during this game it's mind boggling.

That's fidelity, brah :smug:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Voyager I posted:

So I burned out on the main game before Horizons came out and I'm still generally one of the people who griped about the lack of depth to most of the content. The general response to Engineers I saw in this thread was that it added new stuff to do but didn't fundamentally change the game experience for people like me, but if multicrew works out and they've generally improved the multiplayer aspects of the game such that playing with friends is both practical and rewarding I'd probably be interested again. Any news on general coop support?

So like.. Take a fully weaponized D rank anaconda with a 6A FSD and it can only jump about 22-25ly. So I take this thing to an engineer and in about 10 minutes the beast of a ship, literally untouchable, has a reinforced D rank shield, dirty thrusters, and a new jump range of 37-39ly. It is huge game changer because I'm now basically flying a dreadnaught with the jump range of an Asp.

I think multi crew is going to make this game so good. The frog goons flying together w/ fighters and ships is just going to be phenomenal fun. I really need to join the frogs.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Blurry text is somewhat normal, shimmery god rays are not

Shimmery rays are perfectly normal with the CV1, especially with something where there's a lot of contrasting light stuff against black (like most of Elite). It's down the the Fresnel lenses they use now.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

You should really have it measured by an eye doctor. Or maybe there's an app for it, I dunno. Either way it does actually matter. I'm not sure how it works for the Rift, as I have a Vive, but the principles are the same. What matters most is that the headset is actually situated on your head properly so that the centers of the lenses are aligned properly with your eyeballs.

The rift has a setup screen with a vertical and horizontal bar. So when it's the clearest it means everything is aligned properly

Like I said before I simply don't know what the baseline is for blurriness and such , maybe it's as good as its going to get I just expect too much coming from a 2d 1440p monitor ?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Mu77ley posted:

Shimmery rays are perfectly normal with the CV1, especially with something where there's a lot of contrasting light stuff against black (like most of Elite). It's down the the Fresnel lenses they use now.

I don't notice it much in other games , but I thihk because of the way the Hud works combined with lighting it really amplifies it in elite

It's kind of like 3d movies you notice how strange it looks for the first 10 minutes but once you're into it you stop noticing and just enjoy the experience

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Any reactions to multi crew from here? The elite forums and reddit have a number of people saying it is incredible and they are speechless at how cool it is. A lot of connection problems right now though.

Also, I guess nebulas got a kick up in their graphics in 2.3. http://imgur.com/a/8McWC

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Blind Rasputin posted:

Any reactions to multi crew from here? The elite forums and reddit have a number of people saying it is incredible and they are speechless at how cool it is. A lot of connection problems right now though.

Also, I guess nebulas got a kick up in their graphics in 2.3. http://imgur.com/a/8McWC

I suspect a lot of folks stateside that would be doing testing are at work right now. I know I plan on logging in and checking it out. Folks are welcome to join.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So you have to be in a wing to do multicrew. Is it possible for example to have a pilot and a gunner in four ships, with the pilots all being in a wing?

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

SkySteak posted:

So you have to be in a wing to do multicrew. Is it possible for example to have a pilot and a gunner in four ships, with the pilots all being in a wing?

No. You're either in a wing or you're in a multicrew session, not both.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Blind Rasputin posted:

Not had a chance to try it yet, too busy watching The Expanse from last night.

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

Trip report from playing multicrew with a friend of mine: It owns bones (when it isn't crashing).

Turrets have instant travel time when controlled by a player and a lock on style that ignores chaff. Gunners can easily have 100% time on target when the third person aiming reticle which fixes the problem that AI turrets currently have (they are awful at tracking moving targets). It's easy to look at the damage difference between turrets and fixed/gimbal weapons on coriolis and dismiss turrets due to having lower 'DPS', but in reality player turrets are very competitive due to the aforementioned time on target. We even had some really successful PVP encounters vs other Engineered players outside of The Dweller's home.

The third person perspective gunners have really helps drive the sense of scale and detail that Elite has. Being stuck in the pilot's seat already feels so restrictive to me.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

If you're flying a ship that can mount one, put the 2 bay hanger on your ships. Waiting for a fighter to respawn from the single bay is boring as h*ck.

Edit: you're going to want to double up on fighters because both human crew can fly one :getin:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 10, 2017

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
So is it possible to have another player fly a fighter, and have you, the owner of the ship, fly another fighter while your AI crew member flies the main ship?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Is it possible to bring two friends into multicrew, have two of you hop in fighters and one in guns, and have an AI pilot the main ship for your gunner? Or do the AI count against your multicrew crew limit of 3.

On a related note, which of the fighter capable ships that can actually fight (big three and gunship, I think?) has the best turret sightlines?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Insert name here posted:

So is it possible to have another player fly a fighter, and have you, the owner of the ship, fly another fighter while your AI crew member flies the main ship?
Unfortunately not as the Helm role (owner of the ship) is always limited to flying the ship. You can let both players take the fighter con role (meaning two human controlled fighters) and leave the turrets in control of the AI as previously though.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Is it possible to bring two friends into multicrew, have two of you hop in fighters and one in guns, and have an AI pilot the main ship for your gunner? Or do the AI count against your multicrew crew limit of 3.

On a related note, which of the fighter capable ships that can actually fight (big three and gunship, I think?) has the best turret sightlines?
The AI doesn't count against your limit of 3 (you can have you + 2 players + 1 NPC pilot to make 4 total) but while you're in a multicrew session the owner of the ship always has to fly it.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Well that's a really lovely and limiting design decision :argh:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEQTj8dTOC0

Spooky :iiam:

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I wish FD would just add a proper system for racing. All the assets for it are in place (driving around outposts and surface stations in a srv is fun) and people are unofficially doing those already. Looking at that trailer really makes me wonder why they aren't doing it.

Low G planet, in a canyon racing next to a red dwarf or neutron star in the background. If you get bumped hard enough you fly off into space.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 10, 2017

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Mercurius posted:

Unfortunately not as the Helm role (owner of the ship) is always limited to flying the ship. You can let both players take the fighter con role (meaning two human controlled fighters) and leave the turrets in control of the AI as previously though.

The AI doesn't count against your limit of 3 (you can have you + 2 players + 1 NPC pilot to make 4 total) but while you're in a multicrew session the owner of the ship always has to fly it.
That's super lame and I hope they change it at some point. I was hoping to directly fly fighters with friends but since I'm the only one who has ships with hangars I'm stuck flying the space boats. In fact I hope FD eventually lets me give the helm to a buddy so they get to fly the ship and experience the Python/Corvette without having to grind the money/rep.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mercurius posted:

I thought it was explicitly stated that multicrew would have the option of either player taking any of the available roles. One of the devs specifically said you could both be in fighters while the AI drives the ship... :confused:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think you can leave the ship without a pilot and leave an NPC as a gunner, or something along those lines.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
In other news: one of the new mega ships is a "Bowman" class science vessel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLcmQfgV5sg&t=290s

:allears:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

In other news: one of the new mega ships is a "Bowman" class science vessel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLcmQfgV5sg&t=290s

:allears:

There needs to be a voiced passive aggressive co-dependant AI that acts as flight control whenever you request permission to dock.

"I can't open the bay doors... all cradles are full"

(scans indicate no ships docked)

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

I'm getting a heap of "Mission Failed" straight after accepting missions, is this still a bug or is it tied to rank discrepancy between me and the mission?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ElZilcho posted:

I'm getting a heap of "Mission Failed" straight after accepting missions, is this still a bug or is it tied to rank discrepancy between me and the mission?

Sounds like a bug to me sorry.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

ElZilcho posted:

Bug. Quit to desktop and try again.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I thought it was explicitly stated that multicrew would have the option of either player taking any of the available roles. One of the devs specifically said you could both be in fighters while the AI drives the ship... :confused:
Where was that because when I tried it in beta all I could do was order the NPC to fly the fighter when I had someone in group, I couldn't choose myself like normal.

e:

Adam Woods posted:

Hi all,

Just wanted to jump in and clarify:

Helm can launch a fighter with an NPC Fighter pilot only (and give them orders), and have a single human multicrew member fighter at the same time (if the ship can carry two fighters)

OR

2 human multicrew members can each launch themselves into a fighter (if the ship can carry two)

Hope that clarifies.

Thanks,
Adam
From here.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 11, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mercurius posted:

Where was that because when I tried it in beta all I could do was order the NPC to fly the fighter when I had someone in group, I couldn't choose myself like normal.

e:

From here.

Everything I can find now confirms this...no idea where I got my first idea, I swore I read a devpost on the Brown Sea, must've just gotten the wrong impression. :smith:

DancingShade posted:

There needs to be a voiced passive aggressive co-dependant AI that acts as flight control whenever you request permission to dock.

"I can't open the bay doors... all cradles are full"

(scans indicate no ships docked)

:perfect:

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

ElZilcho posted:

I've heard this mentioned a bit recently, and I've had this happen myself when switching instances to find missions. I noticed that it mostly happened when I had gone through Open->Private->Solo and then back to Open again in a short time. I'm wondering if it might be either an intentional but undocumented design flaw to discourage mission stacking, or a bug related to relogging into a different Open instance before the mission set has changed.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

That video. This game is going to be so drat fun with those mega ships. You can land on them? I wonder if they'll have specific mission types or something.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Beta-havers, what kind of Corvette loadout do you think would be most fun for the gunner role? I'm thinking efficient beams and high capacity guided missile launchers for variety's sake. Give the person minimum downtime and some interesting choices to make during fights.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

timn posted:

Beta-havers, what kind of Corvette loadout do you think would be most fun for the gunner role? I'm thinking efficient beams and high capacity guided missile launchers for variety's sake. Give the person minimum downtime and some interesting choices to make during fights.

In my experience people are gravitating more to flying fighters than manning turrets.

Also considering the lack of C4 turrets I think either the Anaconda or the Cutter are more "gunner-friendly".

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Can't imagine why since it seems like the fighter con doesn't really get to do anything they couldn't have more fun with by just being in their own ship. The extra pip they provide doesn't even affect their own gameplay. I think they should at least get command of the NPC pilot to give them something else interesting to manage.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
relax it's a beta

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

timn posted:

Can't imagine why since it seems like the fighter con doesn't really get to do anything they couldn't have more fun with by just being in their own ship. The extra pip they provide doesn't even affect their own gameplay. I think they should at least get command of the NPC pilot to give them something else interesting to manage.

:chloe:

They get to play with friends and make a lot of money. A combat ship plus two human fighters puts out a lot of damage.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

They get to play with friends and make a lot of money. A combat ship plus two human fighters puts out a lot of damage.

...why not fly their own ship, they can do all those things but more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I just wish they'd let you do helm+gunner+2 fighters, kind of sucks that our regular four man wing has to kick somebody out. :smith:

• Locked thread