Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Can I actually get a full OOB and officer list? It's annoying having to chase it all over the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It's here but it would be convenient to have it ITT. Also, your banner for me is wrong, I'm the 40th division apparently.

IV Corps:

Flesnolk

Bavarian Cavalry:

Saros

1st Cavalry Brigade:

Ikasuhito

2nd Cavalry Brigade:

The Sandman (Being replaced)

3rd Cavalry Brigade:

mossyfisk

4th Cavalry Brigade:

Koolkevs666

40th Saxon Infantry Division:

aphid_licker

86th Infantry:

HEY GAIL

87th Infantry:

Capfalcon

88th Infantry:

RaffyTaffy

89th Infantry:

Fathis Munk

Engineers:

Steinrokkan

Artillery:

sniper4625

Unassigned:

LLSix
Cokerpilot
Triskeli

Staff officers:

glynnenstein
Tias
Jaguars
Comerade Cheggorsky
Oystertoadfish
Nastytoes
Disjoe

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 13, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Flesnolk posted:

It's here but it would be convenient to have it ITT. Also, your banner for me is wrong, I'm the 40th division apparently.

According to the German Army, yes. But the Saxon Army says you're number 4. That is A Thing.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Flesnolk posted:

Bavarian Cavalry:

Saros

1st Cavalry Brigade:

Ikasuhito

2nd Cavalry Brigade:

The Sandman

3rd Cavalry Brigade:

Koolkevs666

We have four brigades of Bavarians; I've got 3rd and Koolkevs666 has 4th

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Unsure how I managed to miss that.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

This is an excellent post and I recommend it wholefartedly, but there is one important clarification to make, and one less important one.

Jaguars! posted:

-Towns are very hard to see into, you might see units firing from the edge, but you basically have to move into the outskirts, to see anything hiding inside.

If you are not in a town, you do not see into the town. If you are in a town, you do not see out of the town. The Outskirts are not part of the town. Yes, this is a massive pain in the arse; it is a pain in the arse by design.

Jaguars! posted:

Specify if you want the unit to start entrenching.

This is not required. Units set to Defend will automatically entrench if they are able to do so and it does not affect their ability to do anything else.

Crazycryodude posted:

I don't think it's ever actually been cleared up. I've been assuming it's "you used X% of your move on the road so you get the remaining fraction at your new speed" but maybe it's a secret. Trin, are you allowed to tell us?

This is correct, with a healthy dose of "what looks like an easy percentage to add up?" If you used about half your movement, you've got half your movement. If you used about three quarters, you've got a quarter left.

Flesnolk posted:

Does this mean our brigades are not slowed down going over the bridges outside La Dand in marching order? Because if the single file thing does slow them down then we have to completely recalculate who gets where when.

I will only apply the single file rule if you are going to get fired on because I have better things to do than spend ten minutes having your men fall out of marching order to cross the bridge and then falling back in afterwards to no effect - remember that when a brigade is in Marching Order, all its companies are assumed to be on the road and all spotting related to it is calculated from the road.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 9, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Two more banners:

memes

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Will there be a traffic jam if both brigades try to march through the south bridge?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Don't think there'd be. In marching order brigades are abstracted to points on a road, as long as they don't try and squeeze across at the same time they'll be fine.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

CAV DIVISION ORDERS:

First Bde:
Proceed in marching order along the southern road and occupy Stethoscope as fast as possible. Shake down into combat order there Inside the town to prevent spotting then charge down the sunken road to clear it of any hostles as far as being able to confirm the crossroads is empty. After that move to occupy the forest of Tallis Douche. Consider leaving MG/AH beind in outskirts of steth to provide fire support and have them move to join you in the forest after you sweep the road.

Make sure to have contingency orders for early enemy contact and orders to move to assisst 2 Bde if they get into combat. Generally fleeing enemies should be pursued as long as you can catch them.

Second Bde:
Proceed in marching order to Stethoscope and shake down into combat order the in the western outskirts of Stethoscope unless it would take an extra turn to reach them then any outskirts/town is fine, the most important thing is to be as fast as possible. Your orders are to hold the town until new orders can be given but if 1 Bde gets into combat you are to have contingency orders for those units not able to fire upon enemies to move to assist. The dotted line is a suggestion for a cavaly company sent to watch the Fords but I leave this up to your discretion.

Make sure to have contingency orders for early enemy contact and orders to move to assisst 1 Bde if they get into combat.

Division HQ:

Deploy on the south road and move along it to the shown position just off the road and start digging in/connecting telephone wires, if Stethoscope is succesfully occupied and there is no combat or visible enemies around it move into the town and set up a command post in its Eastern part.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 9, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Just as a heads up, Trin, I think as room-maker you're the only one who can GM people, and our brigadiers (and Sniper) need to be GMed so they can move the chits etc. in room20

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Orders look good!

I'm still worried about the spotting cover from CC meaning their men can blast our cav at short range while our cav reforms, but I suppose there's no good way to control that.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The convergence is more or less our cover for that. They can't realistically attack both brigades at once if our guesses are correct, and one brigade will be in position to help the other. Also, if they're able to deploy in such a way that they have troops in CC and in battle order by turn four, or at least there in such a position as to blast us while still on the road, we were hosed from the word go anyway.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Saros posted:

CAV DIVISION ORDERS:

Okie dokie, I'm on it!

Ed. Uh, Sir.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Thanks! I've corrected in turn.

If you missed my rules summary that I edited into a post last night, it is here. please check through it, espcially the last section, which will allow you to bluff your way through the first few turns.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Helpful Advice for Brigadiers who are Writing Orders

Here is a link to my advice post for brigadiers who will be writing orders. Please read it. In addition to this, I want to make or emphasise a few points.

First, and most importantly: collecting everyone's orders is both time-consuming and boring, and I reserve the right to be pig-headed, overly literal, and to deliberately not interpret orders in your favour while adjudicating them, if it took a million years to work out what you wanted to do in the first place. Meet me halfway and I will do the same thing for you when well-meaning orders run into an unforeseeable little snag during the adjudication, as they often do.

Standing Orders

You may not vary or alter the Standing Orders; you must use the options and permutations available to you. If you want your brigade to react in fashion X when encountering situation Y, that is a conditional order. If you include conditional orders in the same part of your post as Standing Orders, they will very likely go astray because I keep track of conditionals and Standing Orders in a completely different way. Likewise, if you dribble your Standing Orders throughout your orders, I will get very irritated; keep them in a separate group, it's much easier for my bookkeeping.

When setting your standing orders, I very strongly recommend that you use the exact form of words that I used. If you write "Break off automatically: No surrender!", I will probably understand what you mean, but I have to take a bit longer to translate that into the form of words that I use. It is much, much, much better to say "Fight to the last man", since that is the exact form of words and that is what I am expecting to see. If you do not set a Standing Order, the default is used; but once you have set a Standing Order, it remains set until you explicitly tell me to change it.

(I will take suggestions for additional and alternative Standing Orders, but they will only be added if I think it's likely that they will see significant use on both sides of the battle.)

Please note that Autonomous Brigades will have different Standing Orders, appropriate to their roles, to the ones listed in that post. I will provide the Standing Orders for Autonomous Brigades before the first such brigade enters the field. Again, if you will be in charge of an autonomous brigade, let me know what Standing Orders you think might be useful and I'll see what I can do.

How Not To Miss The Deadline

Deadlines are usually 5pm GMT. Once again, this means that if you are in an American or similar time zone, you will struggle to get orders in on deadline day itself, and should always get them in on the night before the deadline. If you can't, go have a pop at higher command and tell them to decide faster. Barring exceptional circumstances, you will always have at least 48 hours between updates; one day for your bosses to decide what to do, one day for you to decide how to do it.

Look to your front! Get your own poo poo straight before you go jumping into other people's ponds with well-meaning advice.

Model Orders

I liked the orders contained in this post very much, and I encourage you to write your own orders in a similar fashion.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

from Jaguars!' helpful rules post, which he linked just a few posts ago, i think i see an incorrect link. both of the following links go to the movement post:

Jaguars! posted:

If you're a new player, scrub up on the basic rules, especially if you are on the field straight away. Here are trin's tutorial posts from the previous game:

Movement, cover and spotting

Firing and combat (some stuff about engineers, but some of the rules on engineers have changed recently)

i believe that this is the firing and combat post which the second link should link to: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=469265445

hope this helps :unsmith:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Alright so I just finished driving for 8 hours and skimmed through the Roll20 + thread. Disorganized ramblings in response:

Saros has some interesting ideas that I'm certainly not opposed to - a northern thrust in particular is enticing. I think we're pretty solidly committed to the south at this point, though, and I still think it's the best option.

Splitting up our cav brigades to go do X or Y isn't really my place to comment on, so I'm not about to micro who goes where, but I will say that Saros' idea of sending both along the southern route, with 1 rushing into Steth and 1 heading for Taillis Sud is interesting. It makes sure we aren't overcrowding the relatively small town of Steth and allow us to nab anything hiding in the CC in a pincer movement.

Whatever we end up doing, DEFINITELY give the cav orders to charge any enemies in range. With such limited forces we can't afford to be on the receiving end of a cavalry charge, and it's always better to charge than be charged. If anything bigger than a company or two (especially enemy cav) strays within 12 inches drop the hammer on them.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Yeah I had the northern idea but it was mostly just spitballing. It revolves around the fact that anyone can see the northern fords are horrible to deal with so likely they will only get a token force initially which could possibly be swept aside by a concerted push. However it could also end in total disaster and might mean we don't hold stethoscope.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

oystertoadfish posted:

from Jaguars!' helpful rules post, which he linked just a few posts ago, i think i see an incorrect link. both of the following links go to the movement post:

i believe that this is the firing and combat post which the second link should link to: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=469265445

hope this helps :unsmith:

dammit, thought I'd caught that the first time round! I promise at some point I will start helping new players instead of sowing misinformation :smith:

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Flesnolk posted:

Here, I'm marking down the major roads on the enemy's side of the map. Be it infantry, cavalry, Mark V landships, whatever, see if you can figure out how long it would take forces starting from these points to get to Steth and CC:

hey just for the sake of posting and posterity, let me throw down the approximate road inches separating A, B, and C on this map from the Northern intersection with CC, Steth, and the Southern CC intersection, just by looking at my map from yesterday and performing the technique that the boys at the old war college used to call addition

code:
  N   St  So 
A 190 160 178
B 143 113 83 
C 94  116 134

C   A   B  
N  94  190 143
St 116 160 113 
So 134 178 83 
arguably those should be rounded to the tens place, but just don't take the exact numbers too seriously. maybe they'll be useful as ratios, in comparison to each other

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 10, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Well, ladies and gents, I'm afraid I have to resign. I hosed up. I hosed up bad. I read something I wasn't supposed to, and although it wasn't more than a few posts it's more than enough to cast doubt on anything and everything I do now and forever. This is entirely my fault, I should have self-reported earlier and just taken my drat medicine.

I'm sorry.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I put my name forwards for the vacant spot if someone's willing to take my place among the infantry. The Saxons still need a leader.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 10, 2017

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Please people, bookmark this thread and this thread alone while the game is going. We have lost our drat seer. :negative:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
If he was ever a seer at all.

The ethical thing to do would probably be to surrender the battle, but since the Kaiser would have us all shot, we should maybe keep going.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

let's not forget that we're

invading
loving
belgium

here.

this is corps hq, your orders are as follows: :siren: MAKE SAROS' PLAN WORK :siren:. it's like 20 inches above this post

edit: what else does the corps have to do? the airplane? we get one a day (refreshes at 0800?), and we've got another full update's worth of 8 day turns followed by a 6 day 2 twilight update before this day is over, right?

would the plane be better used in those phases? we can make that decision when we have a corps commander. it won't be me. while you're :siren:MAKING SAROS' PLAN WORK:siren: you can talk about who gets to wear the big ribbon if you want, i don't care. i just do the numbers around here

edit: i hope this doesn't seem rude; i just don't want there to be any confusion. i'm suggesting that these recent events have not changed the situation, and everybody should continue to make progress on their planning from yesterday

after all im just a staff officer and the generals are going to wake up soon

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 10, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Nothing's official yet so I'm not going to go around acting like I've already got the job, but cav brigades, :siren:try to get your orders in by Saturday:siren:. Saros' plan still stands, so we might as well make the best of it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Eh, surrendering the battle - it's only one person, and before shots have been fired. Unfortunate, but not game breaking.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Advice to brigadiers before first turn, just in case:

If you plan to move to a formation different than the marching box, remember to switch orders to attack at least a turn before reaching the general area where you want to set up. Trying to get companies to proper spots once they had stopped would be a major pain, and would also likely expose you for prolonged periods of time.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Eh, surrendering the battle - it's only one person, and before shots have been fired. Unfortunate, but not game breaking.

?

steinrokkan posted:

Advice to brigadiers before first turn, just in case:

If you plan to move to a formation different than the marching box, remember to switch orders to attack at least a turn before reaching the general area where you want to set up. Trying to get companies to proper spots once they had stopped would be a major pain, and would also likely expose you for prolonged periods of time.

I agree with the general idea, but I would still like 1bde to change formations after they reach the town. They'll be in cover in Steth by turn 4 if our calculations are correct, and ready to give a nasty surprise to any BEF who show up.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

we keep hearing warnings not to take measurements and calculations too literally, so i wouldn't assume the brigade will reach its destination exactly on time

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

response to cryo's announcement and the various repíies

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Nobody mentioned surrendering though, I think? I made an offhanded joke about it in the roll20 but it wasn't a serious suggestion.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Flesnolk posted:

If he was ever a seer at all.

The ethical thing to do would probably be to surrender the battle, but since the Kaiser would have us all shot, we should maybe keep going.

I assume he meant this post

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Ah, yeah, that's the remark I was talking about. I just forgot if I said it in the thread or the roll20.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Anyway. Y'all have brigade orders to draw up.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Agreed, hop to brigadiers. While we're dawdling and mulling over Cryo's indiscretions, Tommy's probably coming up with a plan to push us all the way back to Berlin.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
So being the forth Brigade I won't be turning up till turn 20 so I guess I don't need to put in orders quite yet.

Also Tevery I just saw my banner, I love it and thank you for giving me a good laugh on what has been a very annoying day.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Obviously. However, I urge you to watch the situation closely as it develops, and think on how you can make the most use out of your brigade when it arrives. Keep in communication with Saros for this purpose, especially since as the battle proceeds he'll probably have ideas for what he needs from you.

Ikasuhito and The Sandman need to see to their brigades, everyone else can relax for the moment.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i'll post a map with several notable firing ranges marked from all the major landmarks tonight. as our two on-map brigadiers put together their orders we can all discuss and finalize, practice our workflow for when we've got more to worry about. and then, as soon as ikasuhito and the sandman are ready i think but nobody would blame us for using our originally allotted time to give everything its due diligence, we can actually start this thing

i believe the deadline is all the way off on monday, so really let's consider sunday the latest possible. if we've got two sets of orders we think will hold up for 8 turns and every time zone's gotten a chance to chew them over, then i think we could pull the trigger early and see if trin and the other side are ready to go. but the first priority is making good orders, and the second priority is working through the process of doing so to prepare ourselves for the long grind

• Locked thread