Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

in the story they talk about how even full carrier groups with all of the necessary support ships in perfect defense formations were completely incapable of defending the carrier. aside from submarines theres new missile systems they talk about that are like mirv-style cruise missiles fired in batteries so that they overwhelm missile defense systems

Ok. So carriers only exist to be sunk as an excuse to go to total war then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

thats pretty cool and iget the idea now but i thought hunnerts meant more ahtn 2 like supersonic cshit

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/Seanbabydotcom/status/836295833112866816

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

Ok. So carriers only exist to be sunk as an excuse to go to total war then.

modern carriers arent intended to function in ship-to-ship combat. theyre designed to support ground operations and provide air cover for the carrier group. guided missiles have changed naval combat because ships dont need to see one another to engage and smaller missile boats are much faster and harder to hit than a giant hot floating island

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

man i'm feeling this a lot lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU7gnMSzf_c

:gbsmith:

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Agrajag posted:

HOLY gently caress LEGION IS SCARY AS FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

yeh it owns

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
It'll be another bioware game.

You'll play it. :smugdon:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
somtimes i think about seanbyabys ultimate article that i read inn highschool and gigggle about the team of supeheroes where one can detect evil babies and teh other can kill them in the womb with mind beams and i rmemember how fun it was to be a teenager

seanbaby is like 45 now right? wow

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

cumshitter posted:

somtimes i think about seanbyabys ultimate article that i read inn highschool and gigggle about the team of supeheroes where one can detect evil babies and teh other can kill them in the womb with mind beams and i rmemember how fun it was to be a teenager

seanbaby is like 45 now right? wow

no idea

he still has a library full of the weirdest poo poo though

https://twitter.com/Seanbabydotcom/status/835178539120898049

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Agrajag posted:

HOLY gently caress LEGION IS SCARY AS FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

can confirm Legion is good goddamn TV

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

modern carriers arent intended to function in ship-to-ship combat. theyre designed to support ground operations and provide air cover for the carrier group. guided missiles have changed naval combat because ships dont need to see one another to engage and smaller missile boats are much faster and harder to hit than a giant hot floating island

I assumed that the carriers role was what you said here. I just thought that they could be defended. It sounds like they are theoretically useful at this point, but of no use in actual practice.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

What's up

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

ScrubLeague posted:

Considering Bioware's output since their last good game I'm going to assume it'll be terrible.

Inquisition was cool though.
ME3 not so much(except the citadel DLC)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

zegermans posted:

Speaking of people's whose careers died directly after leaving a prime time NBC show, what the gently caress was Anthony Edwards thinking leaving ER, that he could be George Clooney?

roles like dumb gay batsman only come around once in a lifetime!

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

I assumed that the carriers role was what you said here. I just thought that they could be defended. It sounds like they are theoretically useful at this point, but of no use in actual practice.

Theyre great for beating up on small countries with limited military resources, but against any major modern force they become a massive liability

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I thought the first half of me3 was better than me2. It felt like one continuous story instead of 10 different stories in episodic form

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

all this talk about carriers has me wondering why the gently caress they still havent made a new star wars space combat sim. Just remake XWing v TIE Fighter with modern graphics please

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

no idea

he still has a library full of the weirdest poo poo though

https://twitter.com/Seanbabydotcom/status/835178539120898049

nice

when i was 16-17 working as a bagboy in a grocery store iturned a coupole of slightly younger cowokrers onto seanbayb and we got got together and came up with an idea to pitch to him. it was BIRDMAN and it was the story of a noble eagle man who was shot by his nemesis THE HUNTER and he crashed through the roof of a grocery store itno the meat freezer aisel (which kept him alive) and because all the grocery store clkerks nursed him to health he became teh bagboy/guardian of the store and defended i tfrom evil

we were so confdent in this idea we pitched it to seanbabys email and for weeks weconsoled ourselvves with the idea that seanbby had so many emals he hadnt read it yet until we discovered weeed

cumshitter fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 10, 2017

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

MadJackal posted:

Ever reach the nadir of the night where you're a little too drunk and googling "smash mouth all star"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_jWHffIx5E

yes, that's usually my cue to stop and go to bed, or be a two headed hydra in the morning

choose wisely :wink:

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

zegermans posted:

I thought the first half of me3 was better than me2. It felt like one continuous story instead of 10 different stories in episodic form

I enjoyed the episode style of 2. 2 was a really good game

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I wish game budgets were big enough that you could take really divergent story paths instead of mass effect's "well the character for whom we wrote this line died, so here it is 99% intact from a near-perfect replica and you only get 500 space points instead of 550"

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
good god this legion memory whole thing is trippy and scary as all gently caress. i cant get over how well done this is. OMG

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

GrimGypsy posted:

I think, upon reconsidering Inquisition, you will realize it was, in fact, bad.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
hey. hey. those bioware writers got that one salrian dude to do anok parody fo modern major general thats like reallys mart

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.
Watching Forrest Gump at the bar with a battenderista who'd never seen it before is possibly the best way to watch it

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

GrimGypsy posted:

DA1 was good and like a third of ME3 was good, ME2 is the only game they've made that was All The Way Good since like Jade Empire.

Bioware sucks.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

yes, that's usually my cue to stop and go to bed, or be a two headed hydra in the morning

choose wisely :wink:

Nah, I'm quaffing water like a mother and listening to Chumbwumba's wildly underrated insult-album to Margaret Thatcher's death.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
this is the pinnalce of scifi writing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umN7YOsmGl4&t=33s

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Honestly they should just let you skip the combat in bioware games, just give us the trashy visual novel you fuckin frauds.

btw I'm listenin to a tribe called red & drat they own

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ScrubLeague posted:

DA1 was good and like a third of ME3 was good, ME2 is the only game they've made that was All The Way Good since like Jade Empire.

Bioware sucks.

I wish they'd disguised the "do this quest to make this character survive the finale" mechanism a bit better, like you had to actually pay attention and find the thing to earn their loyalty and not get a big LOYALTY ACHIEVED banner for it

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
WHAT THE gently caress HOW DO THEY MANAGE TO MAKE A loving BEAGAL SCARY ALSO?>!?!?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
omg im loving tripping balls

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
FUUUUUUUUUUUCK that giant headed angriest boy character !!!!!!! wtf!!!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Agrajag posted:

omg im loving tripping balls

their eyes are yellow man, so spooky(?)

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
like uf youre into that poo poo ive been playing age of decadence a lot adn the basic story is you pick one of 8 backgrounds and start off ona journey through 3 towns

half are fighty and half are talky classes. and you can play several and see different sides of of different plots and its like the guys who made it did a 10,000 page cyoa book

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

theflyingexecutive posted:

I wish they'd disguised the "do this quest to make this character survive the finale" mechanism a bit better, like you had to actually pay attention and find the thing to earn their loyalty and not get a big LOYALTY ACHIEVED banner for it

I would legit like to see them redo ME1 with the gameplay of ME3 because that was when they figured out how to make a video game that was nice to play. And I didn't mind the way it wrapped up even though I thought it was kind of cheap, but the only noteworthy thing about 3 for me was how it played like it was a video game.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Yinlock posted:

their eyes are yellow man, so spooky(?)

watch the show you cucknadian

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

Daviiiiidddd

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

fits my needs posted:

Daviiiiidddd

no! no! no! no! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Agrajag posted:

console yourself with a friendly giant headed boy

• Locked thread