Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeah, they literally had Martian marine armor right loving there 5 feet from them.

None of the suits are fitted for them though. Like, that's probably a serious issue for power armor.

Also Diogo you piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I hate Dawes because he has his own agenda which is usually at odds with our protagonists.

HOWEVER, his arguments and justification make total sense to me. OPA's actions are a slave revolt, or if I'm being generous, could be said to be similar to the events that led to the American Revolution.

He's a fantastic character. He's the antagonist I sympathize with.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 10, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

flosofl posted:

I hate Dawes because he has his own agenda which is usually at odds with our protagonists.

HOWEVER, his arguments and justification make total sense to me. OPA's actions are a slave revolt, or being generous, could be said to be similar to the events that led to the American Revolution.

He's a fantastic character. He's the antagonist I sympathize with.

That's an odd way of being generous. Slave revolts are less justified than tax revolts?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That's an odd way of being generous. Slave revolts are less justified than tax revolts?

Generous in the chain of reasoning to link it. Meaning if I only look at the broad brush strokes of the two, I can see similarities.

EDIT: OK, I probably should have put "or if I'm being generous" in there instead. I'll edit.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 10, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Barreft posted:

There's no way Venus isn't currently being colonized by the Proto-thing. I'm most excited to see the exploration force on the planet they talked about a few episodes ago.

And no I haven't read the books, maybe it's just because I'm a veteran of early GOT threads and have PTSD from posters bitching about spoilers, but no I'm not saying any spoilers, there's just no way Eros ended there. That thing is going to explode and send blue particles everywhere.

As a non book reader (for now, I'll probably read them after this season) I totally agree with you. However, I've gone out of my way not to mention it, because I have no doubt some asshat will come into the thread and post like an entire chapter from one of the later books behind a spoilers tag in response, which has happened several times already in this thread.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Fister Roboto posted:

None of the suits are fitted for them though. Like, that's probably a serious issue for power armor.

Also Diogo you piece of poo poo

Alex wears one every time they suit up now, though.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think... I think Dawes is a good guy.

He's an antagonist, but I don't think he's been wrong about anything.

The only real criticism of him is that he's power hungry or something, but he seems to pretty responsible and community oriented with his power, so that's not so bad? He's right about Johnson having a more barter/property based kind of logic, while Dawes is working with the whole gift economy mentality of the Belt. I think that Belter mentality of sharing what you can, and ostracizing hoarders is... probably a pretty solid basis for a non-exploitative economy. Johnson doesn't really seem to get that aspect of things intuitively.

Dawes has a more adversarial view of the system than Johnson or Holden, but he's not a dumb belligerent nationalist. He agreed about returning the nukes, even those are really tempting to hold on to as a symbol of power. He realized, no matter how it feels, they're kind of useless in achieving their goals.

So I think I'm actually on Dawes side here. Is there anything terrible about him I'm forgetting?

counterfeitsaint posted:

As a non book reader (for now, I'll probably read them after this season) I totally agree with you. However, I've gone out of my way not to mention it, because I have no doubt some asshat will come into the thread and post like an entire chapter from one of the later books behind a spoilers tag in response, which has happened several times already in this thread.
As a book reader I cringe whenever this happens. Someone asks a question like, "what's going on with this crazy mystery?" and a book reader takes them literally and posts the answer behind spoilers.

Like, I get that it's fun to explain things, but still, not every question that you know the answer to needs to be answered.

Plus, I like to see show watcher speculate and offer their own opinions and it sucks if you feel discouraged because you see the real answer has already been posted in spoilers.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Alex wears one every time they suit up now, though.

maybe he got trained on them when he was in the military.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dawes is good you're all just Earther scum.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Opening an airlock to a ship you just shot with no armor or EVA suits on was really, really dumb.

If your ship can fire a precision shot at another ship tens of thousands of miles away and disable its engines without destroying the ship itself, then it also probably has advanced sensors that can tell you whether it is safe to open an airlock to it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It would make sense power armor requires some sort of training, and probably custom fitting as well. The fact that a gunship just has spare suits in the first place is kinda weird. Chekovs power armor maybe?

Dawes is a compelling dude, but he was still happy to murder Miller is cold blood for digging too much into Julie's situation, so still a bad guy.

enraged_camel posted:

If your ship can fire a precision shot at another ship tens of thousands of miles away and disable its engines without destroying the ship itself, then it also probably has advanced sensors that can tell you whether it is safe to open an airlock to it.

A few kilometers more like. Not 1,000s of miles away.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

A few kilometers more like. Not 1,000s of miles away.

Don't patronize me!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

counterfeitsaint posted:

It would make sense power armor requires some sort of training, and probably custom fitting as well. The fact that a gunship just has spare suits in the first place is kinda weird. Chekovs power armor maybe?

I think the book mentions that the Tachi/Rocinante could carry a complement of 6 marines depending on the mission.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't think the suits in the airlock are powered armor, just armored vac suits. They mentioned having the Martian powered armor designed and built for season 2 on twitter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

uber_stoat posted:

I think the book mentions that the Tachi/Rocinante could carry a complement of 6 marines depending on the mission.

The Tachi was designed to carry two persons traind in each role, and a few more in addition to that. Like, Naomi does tech and weapons, but in the MCRN, they’d have two people for that (and two alternates).

I think the total is at least twelve.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I hope we get to see the tiny forearm mounted miniguns in action. They looked pretty cool.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Eiba posted:

The only real criticism of him is that he's power hungry or something, but he seems to pretty responsible and community oriented with his power, so that's not so bad? He's right about Johnson having a more barter/property based kind of logic, while Dawes is working with the whole gift economy mentality of the Belt. I think that Belter mentality of sharing what you can, and ostracizing hoarders is... probably a pretty solid basis for a non-exploitative economy. Johnson doesn't really seem to get that aspect of things intuitively.

Dawes has a more adversarial view of the system than Johnson or Holden, but he's not a dumb belligerent nationalist. He agreed about returning the nukes, even those are really tempting to hold on to as a symbol of power. He realized, no matter how it feels, they're kind of useless in achieving their goals.

So I think I'm actually on Dawes side here. Is there anything terrible about him I'm forgetting?

There are two things that characterize the Belters: being essentially indentured servants to Earth and Mars since they were "other" enough to be called Belters, and the good-of-the-community, measure-twice-cut-once mentality of putting environmental considerations before all else. These two have condensed into a multitude of factions that all call themselves OPA, all hating the Inners to varying degrees--which obviously doesn't help the perception of them.

Johnson is trying to legitimize the OPA, using the nukes as a bargaining chip to try and get a seat at the table when it comes to negotiations with Earth and Mars. Dawes wants to unite the Belters as well, but under the banner of independence, without needing to be all buddy-buddy with the Inners.

Dawes is the bad guy from the viewer's point of view, because he's working against what Holden and Johnson (who serves as Holden's patron) are standing for. But that's what makes him compelling--the best villains are right.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dawes is being disingenuous on the nuke issue.

Holden wants nuclear disarmament because nukes are bad.

Dawes wants to deny power to his rival.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

404notfound posted:

There are two things that characterize the Belters: being essentially indentured servants to Earth and Mars since they were "other" enough to be called Belters, and the good-of-the-community, measure-twice-cut-once mentality of putting environmental considerations before all else. These two have condensed into a multitude of factions that all call themselves OPA, all hating the Inners to varying degrees--which obviously doesn't help the perception of them.

Johnson is trying to legitimize the OPA, using the nukes as a bargaining chip to try and get a seat at the table when it comes to negotiations with Earth and Mars. Dawes wants to unite the Belters as well, but under the banner of independence, without needing to be all buddy-buddy with the Inners.

Dawes is the bad guy from the viewer's point of view, because he's working against what Holden and Johnson (who serves as Holden's patron) are standing for. But that's what makes him compelling--the best villains are right.
Yeah, this seems right. I would say though that Johnson and Holden are Inners who are basically good people who are sympathetic to the Belt... and so they vastly over estimate how kind the Inners in general are.

It'd be nice if we were all on the same side, but will an Earth corporation ever not exploit whatever resources it can? And will people on Earth ever care enough to rein them in? Will Martian interests ever make concessions to the needs of their terraforming project? The Belt is full of poor vulnerable people who will not be benevolently looked after by the majority of the Inners. It needs to represent its own interests as a matter of basic security for the people living there.

Dawes is right and Johnson is naive.

Edit:

Platystemon posted:

Really? Because there was an alternative people were calling for- dividing the nukes among the factions and letting each one choose.

If Dawes just wanted the most personal power he'd champion that option to get grateful faction leaders behind him.

But he realized that that option is really dumb because any group could ruin everything for everyone by starting a war.

I think he legitimately realized that there was no good way to use the nukes and agreed with the plan to return them for goodwill as the only moderately beneficial course of action.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 10, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Platystemon posted:

if by "rival" you mean Fred Johnson, it was Fred who first suggested returning the nukes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

enraged_camel posted:

if by "rival" you mean Fred Johnson, it was Fred who first suggested returning the nukes.

No he didn’t.

All he said was “we have their missiles, and that is our ticket to the table”.

Holden is the first to suggest returning the nukes.

e: Okay, fine, Fred does murmur “yes” after Holden makes the suggestion.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I can't imagine anyone gives serious consideration to "Every OPA faction gets a city killer." That's like, the worst possible plan. It justifies just about anything the Inners wants to do to the belt. Certainly Dawes wants to be rid of them to be rid of Fred Johnson, but Johnson's not wrong in wanting to be rid of them too -- he just wants to extract value from them first. I suppose Dawes does too, but he wants his own value extracted first. I think he's sincere about putting most of his questionably-acquired-wealth back into Ceres and the belt. That's how the more organized crime stays in power.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Fringe taught me to treat Jared Harris characters as villains, and I'll be doing the same here. gently caress Dawes :colbert:

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Eiba posted:

The only real criticism of him is that he's power hungry or something, but he seems to pretty responsible and community oriented with his power, so that's not so bad?

He left Julie to die as soon as she was no longer useful to him, then tried to murder Miller because the truth about the Scopuli would have been personally damaging to him. His responsibility is to himself and his concept of community extends only to whoever useful to him. He's not a good guy.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Varam posted:

He left Julie to die as soon as she was no longer useful to him, then tried to murder Miller because the truth about the Scopuli would have been personally damaging to him. His responsibility is to himself and his concept of community extends only to whoever useful to him. He's not a good guy.

Yeah, and he only "invests his bribes and money into the community" because it gives him good publicity.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Varam posted:

Seriously this. Everyone's ignoring the trail of bodies behind this guy.

Good villains are the ones that have a lot of good points and are sympathetic. The problem with good villains is half the audience ends up mistaking them for good guys. See: DS9

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 10, 2017

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, you can say the problem with Dawes isn't ideals but his methods. Trying to undermine Johnson so flagrantly is always essentially undermining the entire cause since both Johnson (as a spokesman) and Tycho station are both necessary for the OPA cause. Trying to spark a inter-OPA civil war is only going to keep them irrelevant until either Mars or Earth comes out on top and subsequently reoccupies the belt by force.

Also, to be honest, Johnson seems more cut out for high-level negotiation with Earth/Mars than Dawes, at least Johnson has a history behind him outside the OPA while everyone outside the belt probably sees Dawes as some petty warlord that throat-cut his way to the top of the OPA.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Seriously this. Everyone's ignoring the trail of body's behind this guy.

Good villains are the ones that have a lot of good points and are sympathetic. The problem with good villains is half the audience ends up mistaking them for good guys. See: DS9

This makes Clarke an absolute villain in "The 100".
Checks out yep.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't think the suits in the airlock are powered armor, just armored vac suits. They mentioned having the Martian powered armor designed and built for season 2 on twitter.

Right, powered armor is supposed to be rare, semi-custom fitted, and used for ground actions or "we don't care how many holes we punch in this ship" boarding actions. Standard navy and light marine duty armor is the armored vac suit. Rocinante shouldn't be carrying powered armor.

Platystemon posted:

The Tachi was designed to carry two persons traind in each role, and a few more in addition to that. Like, Naomi does tech and weapons, but in the MCRN, they’d have two people for that (and two alternates).

I think the total is at least twelve.

Both this and the plus 6 marines comment are right.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The problem is, book power armor is written to make its wearers 1.5 times taller, 2-3x as strong, and 2-3x faster than show power armor does.

In the books, resident-toughguy Amos sees Bobbie in full armor for the very first time and immediately puts his gun down, even before any of the other Roci crew does. When asked why, he makes a quip about how he's been professional muscle his whole life, but Bobbie in her suit is an expert at a game he could never compete in.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

I hope we get to see the tiny forearm mounted miniguns in action. They looked pretty cool.
We did, in literally the first scene of the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r42q6l49Bb4

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
What's the harm in dropping sounds going through hard vacuum?

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
Will somebody explain to be how what Chrisjen Avasarala did made any difference in the end. I mean the missiles didn't solve anything. - Don't get me wrong. With the information they had it was the best move. It just turned out not to make a difference.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Jarl posted:

Will somebody explain to be how what Chrisjen Avasarala did made any difference in the end. I mean the missiles didn't solve anything. - Don't get me wrong. With the information they had it was the best move. It just turned out not to make a difference.

The working theory is the missiles could have further provoked proto-Eros thus jeopardizing Miller's negotiations with Julie.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Eiba posted:

Really? Because there was an alternative people were calling for- dividing the nukes among the factions and letting each one choose.

If Dawes just wanted the most personal power he'd champion that option to get grateful faction leaders behind him.

Absolutely not. Every other person who has a nuke instantly becomes a rival. Johnson said it: "They're good for a lot of things. Deterrence. A bargaining chip." Left unstated: blowing something up and making everyone think someone else did it.

So long as it's just Mars and Earth with nukes, it's MAD, it's stable. MAD becomes exponentially less stable for each additional player at the table. Giving them back to Earth maintains the status quo in that regard, he loses nothing. Splitting them up among different factions of the OPA (who no doubt have their own internecine rivalries and grudges, if they didn't they wouldn't be different factions) is the worst thing he could do if he was just interested in power.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I think he's sincere about putting most of his questionably-acquired-wealth back into Ceres and the belt. That's how the more organized crime stays in power.

Nah, that's only half of it. The more organized crime spreads a tiny fraction of its wealth as the carrot. It also uses the stick of taking anyone who challenges it, kidnapping them and their families, and chopping the families up with chainsaws in front of them.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 10, 2017

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Blind Rasputin posted:

I feel really lovely about improperly identifying Bobby as a buff blond caucasian when I read the books. Sorry about that thread.

If it makes you feel any better, I was reading Seveneves around the same time as the second book. Now my mental picture of Bobbie and Tekla are irreparably swapped despite the explicit descriptions of either.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
Isn't Dawes also trying to weaponize the protomolecule? He knew supporting the return of the nukes was the smart play, because it would deny them to Johnson while he was already working on how he could get his hands on something even more powerful.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder why they're changing so much. Are they cutting the monster/prax/Ganymede or are they mixing things up to add drama for TV and save Ganymede for later in the season

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oh come on. How hard is it to use spoiler tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Question about timekeeping off-world, since Dawes had a line to the effect of "even our time comes from the inners." Is it established what kind of time folks use? Like, I imagine that Mars keeps its own time, since it has a day/night cycle that's not incompatible with human life. And that official things probably still keep Earth GMT or some equivalent for scheduling purposes. But is there a day/night cycle on Ceres or Tycho, even an artificial one?

• Locked thread