Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cerv posted:

on a scale of 9 to 10 how much do you love Attack of the Cybermen?

9 to 10? 9.7, but that's probably getting some bonus in contrast to The Twin Dilemma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cerv posted:

on a scale of 9 to 10 how much do you love Attack of the Cybermen?

We using video game scaling? If so, I'd give it an 8.8

(actually, probably a four)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/doctor-who-torchwood-audiobooks

Humble Bundle selling Destiny of the Doctor, The Churchill Years, 8th Doctor Adventures, and some Torchwood for $15.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

egon_beeblebrox posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/doctor-who-torchwood-audiobooks

Humble Bundle selling Destiny of the Doctor, The Churchill Years, 8th Doctor Adventures, and some Torchwood for $15.

Ehhh. I have all the 8DA and Torchwood stuff and half of the Destiny of the Doctor audio books but I'm kind of tempted to go all in to fill out the Destiny line and try out the first Churchill volume. 15 for that wouldn't be too bad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I've been going back through all the Doom Coalition episodes before listening to the 4th box. (New Zelda game got in the way of me finishing them before release of 4). Absent Friends is still a really powerful episode and absolutely deserves that award it won.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I actually kinda like Attack of the Cybermen- for all the flaws the script has it's stylish as hell.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Lukewarm takes now that I've finished listening to all the McCoy novel adaptations

Nightshade - pretty neat premise as essentially an ersatz Quatermass/Doctor Who crossover but ultimately felt like the story never really went anywhere. Reasonably interesting for the first half but then just kind of peters off.

Love and War - great introduction for Benny. I really like the genderfuckery going on with Christopher. "Puterspace" is such a terrible 90s scifi thing that you almost have to love how bad it is as you groan at it. More of Ace's broken home life is kind of good I guess? Don't really buy how quickly she fell for the traveler dude, but that seems to be a recurring thing for these early NAs?

The Highest Science - honestly don't really remember much about this one. Benny's in it, so that's something at least, right?

Theatre of War - I really liked the start of this one! Really intriguing concept and mystery. Didn't entirely like the way it resolved in the last episode tho, from memory.

All-Consuming Fire - Now this was good! I haven't heard any of BF's Sherlock Holmes range, but having recently started listening to the Simon Vance narrated audiobooks, I felt like they captured the feel of the characters pretty well. And the Doctor and Sherlock teaming up! How cool is that?

Original Sin - Decent introduction to the new companions, I suppose. When the big reveal of the villain came up I was a bit confused and figured it must have been vestigial elements of an unadapted book, though once i looked it up and realised who he was meant to be I kind of clicked like "oh, so that's why that particular element was such a part of his reveal."

Cold Fusion - I know this was more of a Davison novel that featured McCoy, but it ties in to the rest of these, so whatever. Pretty neat! The confusion of the Doctor's identities amongst all the different characters was fun and the finial coming together of the two was good. I guess the ancient Gallifrey stuff would be interesting if you're one of those people that go in for Looms and Others and whatever but it isn't really my cup of tea so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Damaged Goods - kinda brilliant. A council estate and a Tyler family, but not the ones you were expecting. Dark but not in the kind of gratuitous sex and violence edgy way I've always imagined when I heard about the NAs. Handles its heavy themes fairly deftly. Please come back and write the occasional episode for the show again, Rusty

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Box of Bunnies posted:

Please come back and write the occasional episode for the show again, Rusty

I really wished he had during the Moffat era but can understand why he didn't even beyond the personal tragedy he was dealing with, still hoping he'll do one during the Chibnall era.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Box of Bunnies posted:

All-Consuming Fire - Now this was good! I haven't heard any of BF's Sherlock Holmes range, but having recently started listening to the Simon Vance narrated audiobooks, I felt like they captured the feel of the characters pretty well. And the Doctor and Sherlock teaming up! How cool is that?

I know I listened to the first half, but damned if I can remember listening to the second. I thought McCoy played it too light and 'Season 24' a bit for the subject matter, and Briggs' Sherlock is the most bland take on the character.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
So I want to ask, in what situations do you guys listen to Big Finish stuff? I'm struggling to find a place to fit it into my normal routine, because while I put podcasts on when I'm doing work or playing a game that doesn't need 100% of my attention, the podcast tends to fall back in importance and I sort of drift out of things occasionally. I don't feel like that's a good suiting for Big Finish, since it should be getting most of my attention but I don't feel like I can only do that.

Commutes are out of the question since I live so close to work , which is a shame because it'd be a perfect fit otherwise.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cleretic posted:

So I want to ask, in what situations do you guys listen to Big Finish stuff? I'm struggling to find a place to fit it into my normal routine, because while I put podcasts on when I'm doing work or playing a game that doesn't need 100% of my attention, the podcast tends to fall back in importance and I sort of drift out of things occasionally. I don't feel like that's a good suiting for Big Finish, since it should be getting most of my attention but I don't feel like I can only do that.

Commutes are out of the question since I live so close to work , which is a shame because it'd be a perfect fit otherwise.

If you don't want to sit and listen to it and you don't have a commute, I recommend going for a walk. I get much of my podcast/audiobook/big finish listening done when walking the dog.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cleretic posted:

That's kind of a bugger because the half hour walk to work for me is a big part of where I fit my listening in each day. Other than that I'll maybe put an episode on when I go to bed. Or specifically dedicate an hour or two to it on the weekend; make a nice cup of tea, throw on some headphones, and lay back and listen to a few episodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I used to listen to mine on my commute, but I'm much closer to work now so that no longer works out. I try to fit it in around exercise, doing errands or just going for a walk now along with all the other podcast stuff I listen to, so I'm listening to less in a week/month than I used to.

Speaking of which, I just listened to the second episode of the latest (and last :smith:) War Doctor boxset and they finally actually delved a bit deeper into the potential weirdness of the Time War. I also suspect the creatures they were facing will end up being the Could-Have-Been King and his Army of Meanwhiles and Never-Weres. Hopefully the weirdness factor isn't confined to just that story.

They're still mostly writing the War Doctor in a way where almost any other Doctor could easily slot into his place though, which is a bit of a waste really.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That's been my one foible with the War Doctor stuff. He's not the dark incarnation of the Doctor doing dark things he'd rather forget. He's not the warrior, he's a fairly generic gruff Doctor like 3 or 6.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yeah, BigFin's War Doc material was really light on both "not in the name of the Doctor" and time fuckery stuff (there was a bit of the former in the first set, and the Neverwhen and Lady of Obsidian stuff for the latter), I was mostly just too happy to have more of John Hurt playing the Doctor to complain too much tbh. And now I'm thankful we got even that. As middling and wasteful of the concept as it could be, Sir John always put in a good performance

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I think the real problem with the War Doctor is that if he goes far enough that the other incarnations would disown him, it wouldn't feel like listening to a Who story. I've rationalised it in my head that it was the use of The Moment that was the only time he really crossed that line, but then yeah, all the rest of his stories are going to be ones that any incarnation could slot into.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, it would be pretty hard being angry and calling yourself "Not The Doctor I Have No Name" for an entire incarnation, especially since due to the physical aging we're led to believe he existed in this one for centuries, longer than any other (besides 11).

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fil5000 posted:

I've rationalised it in my head that it was the use of The Moment that was the only time he really crossed that line, but then yeah, all the rest of his stories are going to be ones that any incarnation could slot into.

I don't think that's entirely unreasonable, and in fact is kind of supported by the text. The whole point of Day of the Doctor is that he's built up to be more than he really was by the incarnations that followed him and at the end of the day he was actually just like the rest of them but got dealt kind of a bum hand.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

Yeah, it would be pretty hard being angry and calling yourself "Not The Doctor I Have No Name" for an entire incarnation, especially since due to the physical aging we're led to believe he existed in this one for centuries, longer than any other (besides 11).

Isn't there some suggestion that 3 spent, like, years and years dying in the TARDIS between getting irradiated and showing up back at UNIT and regenerating?

Fake Edit: Just checked, it was only ten years, and it's only mentioned in Love and War.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Astroman posted:

You could argue that by the time of the audios he's done all the Warrior stuff when he was younger, and now he's feeling his age, and is slipping back into regular softer Doctor-y ways.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

Fake Edit: Just checked, it was only ten years, and it's only mentioned in Love and War.

Not quite true, it's also a key plot point in Simon Guerrier's Time Signature.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So I went to look up the 3rd Doctor entry on the TARDIS wiki, and found this

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Man, Colon of the Parentheses is so good.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Fil5000 posted:

Isn't there some suggestion that 3 spent, like, years and years dying in the TARDIS between getting irradiated and showing up back at UNIT and regenerating?

Didn't Eight spend, like, 600 years living with jelly fish?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Shiftypenguin posted:

That was... Orbis? Also, about 100 years living through the 20th century with amnesia (again).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Shiftypenguin posted:

That's why I'm saying he was in the War body a long time. The Doctor can regularly do a few centuries without any overt appearance of aging.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cleretic posted:

Big Finish has become my constant companion for any kind of menial activity: dishes, housework, gym, snow shoveling, boring tasks at work, you name it. Now, I'm able to do all this because I've listened to a lot of Big Finish, so it's a lot easier for me to compartmentalize what I'm hearing vs. what I'm doing. It's one reason I tell people to start with the earlier, simpler audios to train themselves up. I'm sure I don't have the retention I would if I gave an audio 100% of my attention, of course, and I should go back and really give the good ones the attention they deserve.

Speaking of earlier Big Finish, the thread recently reminded me of a project I began a while ago to help people starting out with the audios. It's a chart of the first 50 releases that includes any continuity or connections a particular story may have, and is (hopefully) more spoiler-free than Wikipedia. At some point, i may add comments and thread ratings, but for right now, it's purely navigational. Let me know any tweaks I can do with it!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I have a walking route by my house that's exactly an hour, so it's really good for most BF audio segments/ podcasts. Line one up, press play, get walkin'!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

After The War posted:

Big Finish has become my constant companion for any kind of menial activity: dishes, housework, gym, snow shoveling, boring tasks at work, you name it. Now, I'm able to do all this because I've listened to a lot of Big Finish, so it's a lot easier for me to compartmentalize what I'm hearing vs. what I'm doing. It's one reason I tell people to start with the earlier, simpler audios to train themselves up. I'm sure I don't have the retention I would if I gave an audio 100% of my attention, of course, and I should go back and really give the good ones the attention they deserve.

Yeah, I listen to the audio plays almost exclusively at the gym, now. It gives me something to look forward to. When it gets too distracting, I tend to turn it off, though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

After The War posted:

Speaking of earlier Big Finish, the thread recently reminded me of a project I began a while ago to help people starting out with the audios. It's a chart of the first 50 releases that includes any continuity or connections a particular story may have, and is (hopefully) more spoiler-free than Wikipedia. At some point, i may add comments and thread ratings, but for right now, it's purely navigational. Let me know any tweaks I can do with it!

I've a "few" additions, some are pretty nerdy, but I hope they're helpful / interesting.

There's a loose Nyssa Psi-powers arc in her first few stories, which ends up climaxing in Primeval. It certainly features in Land Of The Dead and Winter For The Adept, not sure about The Mutant Phase though.

The Martians in Red Dawn end up forming the backstory in some of the later Ice Warrior stories; I'm pretty sure they're mentioned in The Judgement Of Isskar, for one.

The Fires Of Vulcan feature a cameo by Muriel Frost, a UNIT comics character from the Andrew Cartmel Seventh Doctor comics.

There's an arc with a captive Vortisaur on board the TARDIS over the course of the Eighth Doctor's first radio season. Vortisaurs go on to make the occasional reappearance, particularly in No More Lies, so it might be worth mentioning that they're introduced there.

Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but Bloodtide also features the Myrka.

There's an arc with Ace's increasing emotional trauma that starts in Dust Breeding, carries over into Colditz, which ends on a cliffhanger leading into The Rapture (which is when she starts calling herself McShane).

The Sandman is the first appearance of the Galyari and the Clutch, who go on to appear in another three or four Doctor Who and Bernice Summerfield stories.

Erimem's cat, Antranak (sp?) is possessed by an alien intelligence at the end of The Eye Of The Scorpion, and that plot is resolved in No Place Like Home.

It's been quite a while, but I think that The Dark Flame is the first appearance of Joseph, Bernice's robotic drone (and the man who would build him). Joseph was a recurring presence in the Benny NA's and her radio stories.The Dark Flame cult also recurs in her stories.

Omega establishes some Timelord backstory that's used in Zagreus and the Gallifrey Series.

Zagreus also features the followers of Pythia from The Brain of Morbius, the Forge, the Vampires, and the Death Zone from The Five Doctors.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There's been a shiny new trailer leaked, over in the Spoiler thread.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

There's been a shiny new trailer leaked, over in the Spoiler thread.

Yeah but you can't actually watch it because it's been viewed by too many people

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well it looks like the general idea of the season may be to utterly terrify children, thus sating the ghost of Robert Holmes for a few months at least.

Excellent :neckbeard:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've a "few" additions, some are pretty nerdy, but I hope they're helpful / interesting

Thanks for going through all that! Since this is primarily to help folks getting into BF, I wanted to limit the internal continuity to those first fifty stories. Good call on the character arcs, though! The "Serious Ace" stuff is essentially dropped when Hex shows up, so I'd actually forgotten about it.

I've made some additions, hopefully it won't look too overwhelming for the newbie. Down the line, I'll try to figure ways to include recommendations without it getting too cluttered.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I listened to "The Churchill Years." The first two parts were fun, but I disliked the other two. Ian McNeice's Doctor voices were pretty entertaining. The Nine story really made me wish Eccleston would play The Doctor again.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Trip Report: Doctor Who and The Keys of Marinus

There's at least one BF story that follows up to this episode, and I hadn't watched it since I was a kid, going back almost 30 years. The last time I saw it was on a black and white, 13 inch tv on PBS, the best way to consume classic Doctor Who. :smug: So I wanted to refresh my mind and see how it held up and prepare me for the audio.

First Episode

A tiny TARDIS lands on a tiny beach in a tiny world.

Cuter than Baby Groot!

The model work in this episode is...ambitious. The results...not so much. The gang gets out to check the surroundings, since the Doctor's color television is on the fritz. Ian is still sporting his silk getup from Marco Polo, gently caress that changing clothes poo poo, the man is comfortable and not stuck in stodgy modern London don't you dare judge him!

"One day, if I'M ever in charge of Coal Hill School, I won't make the teachers wear ties!"

Walking around they find there's glass all over the beach, and the sea is made of acid. A man in a not very convincing Rubber Monster Suit is skulking around the TARDIS and nearly captures Susan. She spots his footprints and does the smart thing, swanning off on her own to the bigass building on the center of Death Island.

"Hey little girl, wanna buy some Space Drugs?"

There's some badass glass boats on the beach, all empty except for one which was cracked and contains an also empty wetsuit--turns out the Rubber Monster Suit is really actually a suit in universe, and the poor schlub wearing it had a cracked sub AND a ripped suit so he got eaten by acid. Equipment checks people!

The Doctor, Ian, and Barbara wander back to the TARDIS and find Susan gone, so they decide to look for her at the building, which appears to be made of badly done matte paintings and plywood that totally looks like stone on black and white tv. Susan gets captured wandering around the building, as does the others, one by slow one.

"Where did everyone go oh well I'll just sit here a bit."

Everyone gets captured by an old guy in a robe except Ian, who stops one of the Rubber Suited Men from ganking him with a knife by throwing said Rubber Man down a shaft which looks like tossing a paper doll down a box (which is probably how the special effect was done). In gratitude, the old dude Arbitan lets the rest of the gang out of puppy jail and takes them through a triangle door to his badass control room where he lays down some exposition. Turns out this is a planet called Marinus, and 2000 years ago they invented a computer called "The Conscience of Marinus" This was a "flawless judge and jury" but then they did the even cooler thing and used it to control everyone's minds so they would never do badthought or bad things. Then some rear end in a top hat named Yartek ruined paradise for everyone by creating a biker gang called "The Voord" who wear those badass suits and aren't under control of the Conscience and started running rampant, lying cheating and stealing (oh my!). So for Reasons, they shut down the machine and took the 5 controlling keys and hid them.

"Where are they?"
"Well one is right here, in the machine!"
"Oh."

They also put the machine on Death Island in the Sea of Death with the Beach of Glass and made an impregnable fortress where you enter by leaning up against a wall and it randomly swings open and you fall in, which is how The Doctor, Ian, Barbara, Susan, and a shitload of Voords got in. Arbitan has been doing sick mods to his machine and now thinks he can control the Voords, so he wants to turn it back on. He needs the other 4 keys, and asks the TARDIS crew to help him because everyone else he sent, including his daughter, never came back. They politely decline, despite being weirdly cool with this "benevolent" guy who runs a machine which controlled the minds of his entire planet. Like hearing the exposition dump, if this were a modern episode, the Doctor would have immediately hooked up with the Voords IMO. I'm hoping by the end of the serial they address this, or do so in the sequels on Big Finish because the Voords sound like the good guys here.:colbert:

So they head back to the TARDIS, but find it's encased in an "invisible force barrier" ie "let's all do that first year acting class exercise where you're trapped in a glass box." Arbitan reveals, via loudspeaker, that he's blocked their access til they help him. They go back, the Doctor bitches a bit, but they agree to go anyway using teleportation bracelets, predating Blake's 7 by a few years. Once gone, Voord #4 walks into the room and knifes Arbitan in the arm which is deadly to a Mariner, apparently. The Doctor, Ian, and Susan arrive a bit after Barbara who couldn't wait to blink out, and find her "travel dial" on the ground with blood on it! :ohdear:

"Hey guys don't worry about me, I'm just going to stand in front of this black area that we have to stand in front of for the teleport effect to work on camera and teleport first. Smell ya later!"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Keys of Marinus is certainly a serial. It's been a few years since I've seen it, but I can firmly say that it leaves no opinion.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

No name check for Yartek, leader of the alien Voord?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Keys is weird because there are actually some really strong moments in it (and some hilarious ones) but overall it's disjointed and the overarching narrative doesn't really gel with the individual episodes. From memory, the whole thing happened because a story they were working on fell through and they asked Terry Nation to come up with something quick, and he just strung together 3-4 skeletons of ideas for other stories he had lying around.

It does include the rather fantastic segment where Ian gets accused of murder and the Doctor shows up and bravely declares he will act as his lawyer despite:

A. Having no legal background whatsoever
B. Having zero familiarity with the actual case at hand
C. Having done nothing to get to grips with even the basics of the laws of the zone they're in.

Also the incredible laboratory of amazing futuristic equipment, with no expense spared by the props department.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Episode 1 of Keys owns if for no other reason than the random stagehand that does a really bad job of not being seen

• Locked thread