Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

hifi posted:

irc is good though. mellenials are mad they cant post memes in it but gently caress that
especially since hipchat is full of reddit ragefaces

i do like slack though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I hope the forums rewrite is going well

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

jony ive aces posted:

especially since hipchat is full of reddit ragefaces

i do like slack though

rage faces are useful because they help you identify who you should never associate with

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last week I followed for a while on the highway a motorcyclist wearing a leather jacket with a gigantic troll face on the back. His turn signal was stuck on and he was splitting between traffic at 90 miles an hour.

yellow borders
Jan 7, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Last week I followed for a while on the highway a motorcyclist wearing a leather jacket with a gigantic troll face on the back. His turn signal was stuck on and he was splitting between traffic at 90 miles an hour.

how does it feel to get epically loving owned by a high level troll lord

pram
Jun 10, 2001

yellow borders posted:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

yellow borders posted:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

jira and confluence have been a massive improvement over what i used at my last job: rally and phabricator

rally is really bad

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Arcsech posted:

rally is really bad

if you want a laugh, open up rally with the dev tools open sometime and watch it load 7 megabytes of javascript, including no fewer than 3 different ui frameworks

at least now i know why it's painfully slow

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Why is no one talking about what is going to happen to the sa wiki after the migration?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

yellow borders posted:

poor sagebrush, two brutal owns in one week

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

yellow borders posted:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I'm migrating a long lived vBulletin 2.whatever forum right now, it's going alright. I tested out Xenforo and IPS Community Suite and decided IPS seemed better for some reason I can't remember (it seems OK but not great)

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

The Management posted:

rage faces are useful because they help you identify who you should never associate with
except hipchat also uses parentheses for emoticons (instead of the correct way with colons like sa or slack and like that goon set up on facebook) and it turns out i tend to end sentences with (lol) a lot and hipchat mangles it (lol)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
everyone knows the colon is the source of all emoticons, and also posts

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

zen death robot posted:

smythe said he's writing the wiki

not sure how i feel about the first update since 2007

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

zen death robot posted:

smythe said he's writing the wiki

he said he'll start the wiki, that's different

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
has anyone considered this newfangled “microservices” thing I keep hearing about from Thought Leaders?

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

a microservice that reads ur posting off of a queue and then puts a "vote 1" action on a different queue

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
like twitter but for shitposting

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

will i still be able to post by sms?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it bugs me when a chat program hijacks my _underlines_ or -hyphens- or *asterisks* and replaces them with bold/italic/strikethrough/whatever rich text. i want the drat asterisks, that's why i put them there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
asterisks are the new bbcode

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
remember when the rewrite was going to use markdown instead of bbcode, because reasons?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
if we're rewriting the saclopedia, can't we integrate it with statpedia?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
ian it's your time to shine!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Syncopated posted:

if we're rewriting the saclopedia, can't we integrate it with statpedia?

the saclopedia is stupid tvtropes/wikia poo poo and should not be preserved in any form

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

but how will the forums survive without the completely mis-remembered accounts of the lovely in-jokes gbs ran into the ground for a week in 2001?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

infernal machines posted:

remember when the rewrite was going to use markdown instead of bbcode, because reasons?

it was going to be compatible with every formatting syntax known to man because of the sheer power of functional programming

pram
Jun 10, 2001
which, i might add, was production ready. believe me. we're talking big league production. but my life is a mess. sad!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oh, right, yeah.

that would have made for some fun parsing. the sheer number of combinations and accidental markdown/up triggers would be incredible.

probably half of the existing posts would wind up formatted into unreadability

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

now i kinda wish he had released something

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
he can't show you the code because you wouldn't understand it anyway

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
obviously you can't just give production ready code away

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Sweevo posted:

but how will the forums survive without the completely mis-remembered accounts of the lovely in-jokes gbs ran into the ground for a week in 2001?

I use SAclopædia to goatse people without repercussions.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

emoji posted:

I use SAclopædia to goatsæ people without repercussions.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Gazpacho posted:

the saclopedia is stupid tvtropes/wikia poo poo and should not be preserved in any form

saclopedia owns. respect your forum history.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Proof of SAclopedia ownage: https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

isnoop was the best maintainer of the code

• Locked thread