Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ImpAtom posted:

"John Carmack hosed up unbelievably, desperately struggling to find a way to salvage it.

Or they actually do owe him money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

"John Carmack hosed up unbelievably, desperately struggling to find a way to salvage it.

"Man who thinks that minimum should be outlawed now upset that he is not paid what he feels he is worth."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would like to see David Fincher film the rise and fall of Oculus

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

John Carmack, the chief technology officer of Facebook-owned Oculus, sued ZeniMax Media on Tuesday, saying it still owes him money from buying the video game studio that he founded. Maryland-based ZeniMax bought id Software, a Richardson-based video game studio, in 2009. Carmack left the company in 2013 to become Oculus' CTO.

ID Software's first good game since Quake II (Doom) is without John Carmack is pretty funny to me. He is probably feeling pretty salty.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I said come in! posted:

ID Software's first good game since Quake II (Doom) is without John Carmack is pretty funny to me. He is probably feeling pretty salty.

I'm not sure the man actually feels anything.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Are you actually suggesting Quake II is better than Quake III Arena

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Training posted:

Are you actually suggesting Quake II is better than Quake III Arena

I was a Unreal Tournament person myself. I never really saw the appeal of Quake III Arena.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Scrublord Prime posted:

The Rumplestiltskin puzzle is at least optional, if you can't guess his hosed up name in three tries you can take an alternate route to the cloud/mountain area and you'll just miss getting a perfect score. It's no deadly snake that you need to randomly throw a bridle you got from a genie on to transform into a flying horse so it'll give you a sugar cube that will protect you from poisonous brambles you need to cross later on. Or the classic throw a boot at a cat chasing a mouse in a timeframe of a second or two else you leave the game in an unwinnable state when you enter a random inn and get tied up by a bunch of bandits! Or my favorite from another Sierra adventure game Gold Rush: While traveling by ship you can randomly get a disease and die or the ship will randomly sink and you die and the game will literally tell you "There was nothing you could've done!" The only way to survive is to load a save before getting on the ship and hope the RNG won't kill you next time.

Sierra games except Quest for Glory are all rear end in a top hat games. QfG is good.

gabriel knight owns gently caress u

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Forgot about Gabriel Knight, Gabriel Knight owns (never played 3 though)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHHxjzfzfXQ

Got stuck in GK1 in the preinternet days when trying to leave a message in the cemetary. It also spooked me when you find the dead body of that professor in Tulane :ghost:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
3 has the infamously-bad moustache puzzle.

It was a pretty interesting game though, and got the whole Da Vinci code thing well before the book.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

I was a Unreal Tournament person myself. I never really saw the appeal of Quake III Arena.

Same but its still awesome

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Psa: Dont dismount a moose the wrong way in nier.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I remember getting stuck for a long time at the final puzzle on Leisure Suit Larry 2, a game chock full of bullshit puzzles and even bullshittier ways to die, because even though I knew exactly what to do, I didn't know the exact phrasing the game wanted me to type in to make that happen.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm glad homefront 2 is 75% off so i can spend ten dollars to go to the part of the game that has a demo of a remake of a game i actually like that will never be fully rereleased

unfortunately, i'm not actually going to spend ten dollars to play two levels of timesplitters 2 with mouse aim

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have died 40 times in the processing area of RE7.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What difficulty are you playing it on?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

OK, maybe it's more like ten but with the checkpointing it feels like much more.

I'm playing on normal :( It takes me about a dozen bullets and half a first aid kit for each enemy. I think I have a perfect shot lined up on their head and then I hit nothing, repeat three or four times before I panic and just unload in the chestal area while I get mauled

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm a UT person, and Q3 might be the single most perfect multiplayer shooter ever created.

Q3 ctf puts all other games to shame. Q3 dm? What's better?

I don't play pc twitch shooters anymore. I can't cope with it. But Q3 is heaven made manifest.

UT2k3/4 is what I was raised on, and it's really good, but it's like, q3 is perfect.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So I think I am no longer allowed to make fun of game reviewers who die on stream
https://twitter.com/cleargatewest/status/840108570356064256

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK, maybe it's more like ten but with the checkpointing it feels like much more.

I'm playing on normal :( It takes me about a dozen bullets and half a first aid kit for each enemy. I think I have a perfect shot lined up on their head and then I hit nothing, repeat three or four times before I panic and just unload in the chestal area while I get mauled

Normal bullets are pretty worthless unless as a last resort, the shotgun is available as soon as you find the key in that area and makes fighting the molded a lot more viable. Until then two to three bullets at the leg should drop them to the floor and make them an easier target, though not a defenceless one, and also easier to avoid.
Watch out for ones with a larger arm though, they're tougher.
The knife is also insanely powerful though obviously dangerous to use.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I think I am no longer allowed to make fun of game reviewers who die on stream
https://twitter.com/cleargatewest/status/840108570356064256

:darksouls:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Snak posted:

I'm a UT person, and Q3 might be the single most perfect multiplayer shooter ever created.

Q3 ctf puts all other games to shame. Q3 dm? What's better?

I don't play pc twitch shooters anymore. I can't cope with it. But Q3 is heaven made manifest.

UT2k3/4 is what I was raised on, and it's really good, but it's like, q3 is perfect.

https://ql.syncore.org/

Nowadays I mostly just spectate other people. It's fun to watch and they added voice chat so you can laugh at people eating grenades in the face.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

All 3 Quakes had amazing multiplayer but for different reasons. Q1 was the most brutal one imo.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Quake II multiplayer is still my favourite of all Quakes. It was my first 3D accelerated game. I bought an Nvidia Riva TNT2 Ultra for it.
I used to play botmatches endlessly because I'd go round computer fairs and find Quake 2 addon discs with tons of maps downloaded from the internet. (I didn't quite have it at the time).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I played Quake 1 multi in the computer class at school, we would regularly play 10 person LAN matches, it was amazing. The game was tough because maybe 2 rocket hits would kill you so you had to stay extremely vertically mobile at all times which was pretty groundbreaking at the time (I think Duke3D's multi was the first one to put so much emphasis on mobility).

I played Quake 2's multi already via the internet and that was the poo poo because people online were way better than my buddies. I remember even playing some total conversions like Chaos that gave you all sorts of weird weapons from crossbows to 10 types of weird grenades - multi was pretty fun there too.

It's the enormous success of Quake 2's multi that made Quake 3's multiplayer-only idea even possible because Q2 had an insane online following.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I only had Quake 64 which I'm assuming was the definitive Quake experience

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

RCRU Patch Notes posted:

Balance Highlights:

Milk bottles now have the ability to withstand around three throws worth of collateral damage before breaking. This should alleviate a large portion of the pain in the milk run quest. It's still a challenge with multiple players, but hopefully a more fair one
You will no longer trigger crime events if your character is thrown into citizens or civic property, since it was clearly not your fault
Added more starting moves to all heroes
Added substitution grapple moves that now allow all hero characters to participate in attacks when holding enemies from the front or back
Rudy now enjoys increased grab duration time so he can perform more grapple combos
Nerfed character throws from prone position (a.k.a "canon throws") so they no longer do damage, but are still effective for throwing enemies into pits or for crowd control

Bug Highlights:

Fixed Chris' ability to perform combos and avoid charging moves during flurries
Fixed move unlock mismatch causing Glen and Provie to not start with valid jump kicks
Fixed bug where adopting one cat was unlocking the reward for adopting all cats
Many move fixes across the board for all hero fighters
Improved our ability to diagnose and fix network desynchronizations

This is a huge one. They're still not letting characters start with the full punch/kick combos, but now they all have a limited number of special moves they start with that are all meant to highlight their character specialties. The wrestler has a piledriver, the luchador has an aerial move, etc. The milk run quest is the dumbest poo poo in the game and now it's 1/3rd as obnoxious, characters no longer have grapple positions that are useless to them.... There's still some bugs, including the pretty major online save bug they've been working on fixing since launch, but we're reaaaally close to where I can say "They fixed the game".

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna be charitable and say they sometimes make cool games but uh FF13 wasn't great shakes, they had to remake their MMO because it was kinda bad, and as a publisher they seem to make a lot of shall we say questionable decisions like what happened with Mankind Divided. Maybe Hitman depending on how strongly you feel about always-online. Nier Automata might be the best thing with the Square name on it to come out recently but it's also worth pointing out that Square didn't make that one, they just published it, Yoko Taro and Platinum were the ones responsible for making it.

Okay, but it can't be overstated how goddamn good FF14 is post-reboot, which is why I keep stating it in these threads. It was a really gutsy decision and really paid off.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

This is a huge one. They're still not letting characters start with the full punch/kick combos, but now they all have a limited number of special moves they start with that are all meant to highlight their character specialties. The wrestler has a piledriver, the luchador has an aerial move, etc. The milk run quest is the dumbest poo poo in the game and now it's 1/3rd as obnoxious, characters no longer have grapple positions that are useless to them.... There's still some bugs, including the pretty major online save bug they've been working on fixing since launch, but we're reaaaally close to where I can say "They fixed the game".

Is the movelist that's supposed to explain how your character's moves work any more explanatory than it was the last time I checked? It seemed a bit opaque before.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I woke up today

Woke up at like 5:30~ AM from another nightmare. Another 12~ hours of sleep. No clue how much longer I'll be up before my body loses energy and I need to rest some more, but until then, thought I'd pop in here and ask how everybody's doing.

So uhhh

How's everyone doing this morning? Anybody got anything fun planned for today/the weekend?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
After work today I have next week scheduled off for Spring Break. Been looking forward to just relaxing and playing video games all week

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Nier is coming in today. Can't wait to play it. 6 more hours of work and I can induldge myself on that game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am trying my god damnedest to avoid buying Nier on PS4 because it comes out on PC in exactly a week but it's proving to be pretty difficult to resist.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've been going between Spelunky and Root Double tonight and having a good time! They're good games, even if it's time for Root Double to stop taunting me and just give me some freaking answers already. (...Also I need to relax about trying to get all of the bad endings, but.... I like completing things, especially when they're easy like visual novels. Just hit skip scene a bunch, pick the right choices, bam, I'm dead again!)

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Here's some spoiler-free Nier advice:
You can use the d-pad the quickly change weapon sets or use consumables, or press the left side of the touch pad to pause the game and bring up a truncated menu that lets you weapons in your sets or use additional consumables.
Holding the attack button will perform a different combo than tapping it, and there are unique combos for going from a light attack of one weapon type into a heavy attack of another
There is a fast travel mechanic that becomes available after completing some story missions. Took me around 5 1/2 hours to get there, which was long enough for me to nearly weep tears of joy at getting it.
You don't have to hold the dash button to run. Just tap it and hold the analogue stick, and 2B will continue to pick up speed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Is the movelist that's supposed to explain how your character's moves work any more explanatory than it was the last time I checked? It seemed a bit opaque before.

No, but fixing that is on their to-do list. They're also planning on adding descriptions of moves to the dojos so you know what the gently caress you're buying.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's snowing outside. Winter weather advisory.

Make up your goddamned mind, weather.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lurdiak posted:

No, but fixing that is on their to-do list. They're also planning on adding descriptions of moves to the dojos so you know what the gently caress you're buying.

#earlyaccess

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Being early access would've made this launch not a disaster. I think they honestly ran out of money and released an unfinished product knowing they could patch it later. Which is kind of lovely, but if they actually keep fixing the game it's forgiveable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Speaking of Early Access the real successor to Descent Overload is coming out to early access on March 13th. The playable Teaser was really good so I have high hopes for the project overall.

• Locked thread