Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Truga posted:

I guess I'm just super lucky, not even my exchange backup has failed to restore yet.

Well, if you are going to test them regularly and make sure they work, of course they will work!

They only fall down if you never check them and then need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I asked my msp if they ever tested mountability of exchange backups. "We CAN but I don't see why we would. Veeam says the backup has been completed, and we have a snapshot on the SAN. We haven't tested restoring in the past because bringing up the whole VM could cause network problems and we don't want to create issues that aren't there now."

A horrified me asked to schedule DR testing and they never got back to me.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Every backup is Schrodinger's Backup. It is both restorable and not restorable until a restore is tested. Only then will its true status be known.

It doesn't mean two loving cents if the backup was marked as successful in the product. There are a million things that could impact if the backup is ACTUALLY restorable, some of which are product specific, some which are platform specific, and some that are application specific.

I can think of, off-hand, two or three instances for Windows platforms where VSS can return false positives to the backup application in such a way that the backup application will believe everything is well. Then the goddamned backup isn't restorable, but the backup app didn't know anything was wrong so marked it success.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Anybody who mentions they are using Veeam and that they haven't tested the backups in the same breath should be shot. Veeam practically makes it zero-effort.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Thanks Ants posted:

Office hell is an open-plan hotdesking environment with a company culture that doesn't lend itself to that - so you just get people fighting over lovely desks that are smaller than they should be.

The past two days have been my personal hell :byodood:

Open plan with no plan in regard to company expansion so it's ridiculously overcrowded, we don't hot-desk but yet again management have decided to shuffle everyone around AGAIN. Folder redirection and common software isn't enough because not everyone has the same version of MS office, some people have laptops only meaning I need to pull out the dock wiring and someones desktop wiring to switch around, the hardware is all different since we've never bought stuff in bulk, and our network is poo poo since there aren't any proper cable drops.

Ideally I would like to:
- Get everyone on O365 with AD Connect setup
- Roll out mini desktops for every single desk with WDS setup to image them all
- Have the proper amount of cable drops installed backed up by matching core switches (thereby getting rid of our mishmash core and edge switch collection, likely need to wait for new building)
- Get Exclaimer setup (I had this ready ages ago but we didn't want to pay, we seriously commission a graphic artist to make E-mail signatures by hand)

But hey, this is the kinda place which prefers to gank a person's CRM licence to use for another person rather than buying in extra. I also need to get home working rolling when we currently have an aging Server 2008R2 RDS bare metal box, fun times.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

Anybody who mentions they are using Veeam and that they haven't tested the backups in the same breath should be shot. Veeam practically makes it zero-effort.

Veeam backups are amazing. Sadly we are not doing regular testing of backups, but we do have 2 geographically separate environments that mirror* each other. I have had to restore some AD objects, like GPOs that just exploded when someone edited and some other stuff, but I'd like my management to approve time to do testing at least 2-4 times a year, preferably once a month.

*essential services are mirrored, non-essential services, some live on one side some on the other.

We DO monitor the poo poo out of the backups and I've made it my personal mission to actively check the monitoring and log into Veeam every so often to make sure things are on the up and up, but I'm still concerned that we don't actually do regular testing and would like to start it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MF_James posted:

We DO monitor the poo poo out of the backups and I've made it my personal mission to actively check the monitoring and log into Veeam every so often to make sure things are on the up and up, but I'm still concerned that we don't actually do regular testing and would like to start it.

It's very possible for your backup software to say SUCCESS! Files 0 size 0kb I've seen tons of setups. I check for expected file size if it looks okay in the weekly fulls nothing gets a test restore until the quarterly restore where everything is restored and several files are checked. I'd like to do it monthly but there isn't time. Critical things are checked monthly even if everything looks fine. Databases love to produce the correct file size and be corrupt.

Monitoring is NOT enough. I've told the story before I got taken off looking at backups and someone else was given the responsibility at my last job. The backup software had a green light but the backups did not restore several months after the responsibly was moved. Backups need to be checked.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 9, 2017

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

SCCM's Software Center still requires Silverlight to run ITY 2017.

Hi, skype for business administrator here.

edit: to be fair, I do 80% of my work in powershell.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

pixaal posted:

It's very possible for your backup software to say SUCCESS! Files 0 size 0kb I've seen tons of setups. I check for expected file size if it looks okay in the weekly fulls nothing gets a test restore until the quarterly restore where everything is restored and several files are checked. I'd like to do it monthly but there isn't time. Critical things are checked monthly even if everything looks fine. Databases love to produce the correct file size and be corrupt.

Monitoring is NOT enough. I've told the story before I got taken off looking at backups and someone else was given the responsibility at my last job. The backup software had a green light but the backups did not restore several months after the responsibly was moved. Backups need to be checked.

Preach it, brother.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
We had 365 successful backups last year and only 3 failed restores stop complaining so much about a 1% failure rate!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

pixaal posted:

Yeah that's why I log into it every so often (this being once a week) and check the actual backup job. "Ok, what was a full backup from a few weeks ago, 100GB? What was the one from last night, 100GB? Looks good" etc. If nothing changed on our critical servers, I would be extremely concerned because we have stuff written constantly.

but yeah again, that's why I'm pushing for us to do some sort of restore quarterly, at least, because I don't want everything to explode and then nothing actually restores.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 10, 2017

LupercanaliusAB
Oct 21, 2008
I don't know if this is Larches' old station, but I like to imagine that it is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nah the graphics are working

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Malek posted:

A former co-worker told me that he had his password set as a small word and a number at the end. Every password change day, he just increased the number by 1.

Told me it was depressing when he was on the equivalent of Password30. :smith:

I have a passphrase, and the password is the first letter of each word. New password time, second letter of each word. Fourth, fifth etc (wrapping around when I get to the end of a word).

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I have a passphrase, and the password is the first letter of each word. New password time, second letter of each word. Fourth, fifth etc (wrapping around when I get to the end of a word).

I'm surprised your password policy let's you get away with just repeating the same letter 8 times... Not to mention the repeat in there.

BbBbbbBb
uuuuuuuu
ffffffff
ffffffff
aaaaaaaa
llllllll
oooooooo

Speaking of password policies, the company I used to work for had a policy where the first 6 to 8 characters had to be different from the previous password.
So MyPasswrd01 to MyPasswrd02 would fail, but MyPass01 to MyPass02 would be fine. (Actual example they used.)

Am I right in thinking this probably means they stored the passwords in plaintext somewhere?
And also that this is really dumb because it invites weaker passwords, plus you can just defeat it by putting your incrementing number at the front.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Generally when a system says your password can't be similar to a previous password then yes, it stores your password in plain text.

It is theoretically possible that it generates a small rainbow table of possible permutations when you set your password and checks against that, but I think that's giving people who think that enforced password changes is good security too much credit.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 10, 2017

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
What about system comparing the input from old password field to the input from new password field?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Collateral Damage posted:

Generally when a system says your password can't be similar to a previous password then yes, it stores your password in plain text.

It is theoretically possible that it generates a small rainbow table of possible permutations when you set your password and checks against that, but I think that's giving people who think that enforced password changes is good security too much credit.

Uh no they don't.

Either: You have type in your previous password to change your password. So trivial to check the with the last one. Or they use the method that you think is only theoretical. Do you seriously believe AD is storing passwords in plain text ?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Well if you're providing the old password it's obviously easy to compare. But if it says "Your password can't be similar to your 5 previous passwords" then you know it has at least 4 of those stored in clear text.

But if you have the password "Password01" and then change it to "Awful123" and then try to change it to "Password02" and it tells you it's too similar to Password01, then it has Password01 stored in clear text somewhere. e: Unless you have generated rainbow tables, of course.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Well if you're providing the old password it's obviously easy to compare. But if it says "Your password can't be similar to your 5 previous passwords" then you know it has at least 4 of those stored in clear text.

But it only has to store previous passwords not current one, and I guess from a certain point of view that kinda makes it not terrible?

please don't make users constantly change passwords or store their old passwords

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Comparing to older ones than the last means it's stored in plain text, but if you have to enter your current one alongside setting a new one, it can compare the two, then check the hash matches the old one for what you entered, then say it can't be the same as your old one.

No idea if anyone bothers doing it, or if everything is just stored plaintext, but it is a solution.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

But if you have the password "Password01" and then change it to "Awful123" and then try to change it to "Password02" and it tells you it's too similar to Password01, then it has Password01 stored in clear text somewhere. e: Unless you have generated rainbow tables, of course.

No, it has the hash of the Previous x passwords stored

You take the new password , repeatedly mutate it , generate the hash and compare to previous hashes

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

jre posted:

You take the new password , repeatedly mutate it , generate the hash and compare to previous hashes
That makes more sense than having hundreds of hashes for each previous password stored. I'm a dumb. :downs:

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

jre posted:

Uh no they don't.

Either: You have type in your previous password to change your password. So trivial to check the with the last one. Or they use the method that you think is only theoretical. Do you seriously believe AD is storing passwords in plain text ?

Am I seeing this? Am I living in the matrix or have we literally not had this conversation three times over now?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

LordVorbis posted:

Am I seeing this? Am I living in the matrix or have we literally not had this conversation three times over now?

But that was a page or two ago.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

LordVorbis posted:

Conversations here tend to go in cycles, but this one has been particularly short. This exact conversation happened in one of the other threads ~3 weeks ago.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does anyone have an experience with software to track/manage legal cases?

Right now we have two people in the company who handle our legal matters. Usually people that are using our product and either get hurt or hurt someone with it. So we get sued all the time and we track who the plaintiff is, who their lawyers are, blah blah. They're just cramming all this poo poo into ACT right now and it's the wrong tool for the job. We're also in the process of switching to new ERP software, and now they're trying to cram all that poo poo in there, which is also not the right tool for the job.

So, I said let's find something that's actually meant to store legal case information. We'd really like a $299 piece of Windows software instead of a $39/month cloud solution. The problem is most of the stuff I'm finding is for actual law firms to use, who need to bill clients and track time and all that - we don't really need that functionality, we just need to track cases.

Any suggestions?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

The Fool posted:

Conversations here tend to go in cycles, but this one has been particularly short. This exact conversation happened in one of the other threads ~3 weeks ago.

You know, there hasn't been an alcohol derail in the ticket or pissoff thread lately.

THIS IS AFFECTING DRUNKINATION!

Currently awaiting my order of Tyrkisk Peber (Turkish Pepper) salmiakki candies to add to the cheap vodka for home-made salmiakki liquor. (Had some at the Helsinki bid party at Worldcon locally, enjoyed it, and found it's loving impossible/ludicrously expensive to get stateside.)

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

LordVorbis posted:

Legitimately thought I was crazy for a minute there.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Does anyone have an experience with software to track/manage legal cases?

Right now we have two people in the company who handle our legal matters. Usually people that are using our product and either get hurt or hurt someone with it. So we get sued all the time and we track who the plaintiff is, who their lawyers are, blah blah. They're just cramming all this poo poo into ACT right now and it's the wrong tool for the job. We're also in the process of switching to new ERP software, and now they're trying to cram all that poo poo in there, which is also not the right tool for the job.

So, I said let's find something that's actually meant to store legal case information. We'd really like a $299 piece of Windows software instead of a $39/month cloud solution. The problem is most of the stuff I'm finding is for actual law firms to use, who need to bill clients and track time and all that - we don't really need that functionality, we just need to track cases.

Any suggestions?

Every law firm I've worked with has used a program called TimeSlips, but that's purely used for tracking and billing time for clients, not really case management.

These firms were all small enough that they could get away with just using a shared folder structure as their case management process.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

You know, there hasn't been an alcohol derail in the ticket or pissoff thread lately.

THIS IS AFFECTING DRUNKINATION!

Currently awaiting my order of Tyrkisk Peber (Turkish Pepper) salmiakki candies to add to the cheap vodka for home-made salmiakki liquor. (Had some at the Helsinki bid party at Worldcon locally, enjoyed it, and found it's loving impossible/ludicrously expensive to get stateside.)

My Glenmorangie 18, which was unopened, was stolen from my apartment last week, alcohol consumption has been affected greatly :(

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
How dangerous is your product that apparently everyone who uses it either fucks themself up or does somebody else in? I'm sure you don't want to out yourself on the internet but I'm going to spend the rest of the day wondering. Crazy Dave's Discount Ninja Stars? Chainsaw and Machete Jugglers Emporium?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Fool posted:

Every law firm I've worked with has used a program called TimeSlips, but that's purely used for tracking and billing time for clients, not really case management.

These firms were all small enough that they could get away with just using a shared folder structure as their case management process.

TimeSlips is also a loving nightmare pile of garbage never use it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

TimeSlips isAll Sage products are also a loving nightmare pile of garbage never use it.

ftfy

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Beat me to it.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bob Morales posted:

Any suggestions?
Not entirely, but we went through the same deal as you.
We need to track legal cases/employment law cases/health & safety cases as we already had customised Salesforce to handle the service delivery side of the business. We brought in a bunch of prospective companies for better software and most of the on-prem stuff looked like it never left the era of Windows 95, we pretty much went down the road of another CRM... but built from the ground up completely custom.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Oh god Timeslips. gently caress Timeslips forever.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

gently caress I totally forgot Timeslips was Sage.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Tyrkisk Peber (Turkish Pepper) salmiakki candies

I discovered these in January and they're so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Nards Pan posted:

How dangerous is your product that apparently everyone who uses it either fucks themself up or does somebody else in? I'm sure you don't want to out yourself on the internet but I'm going to spend the rest of the day wondering. Crazy Dave's Discount Ninja Stars? Chainsaw and Machete Jugglers Emporium?

Maybe they're app developers:

• Locked thread