Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

I disagree, I live in a major city and used to live directly below the main FM broadcast tower, a good one works perfectly fine and doesn't interfere with anyone else. There is enough unused bandwidth, at least in my country.

YMMV for sure, but Boston and NYC were total no-gos for me.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Good thing nobody's suggested that.

Good thing I was making a generalization regarding car audio options and not specifically singling out a post, then!

My Lovely Horse posted:

We rent cars every few months and it's a complete crapshoot what any given car will have for music connections, or where they'll be hidden. Bluetooth is awful because the only thing that's more of a pain in the rear end than pairing your phone is unpairing it so it doesn't stick around in the device list forever. USB is also terrible because God alone knows what depth of file structure the car's system can handle. And every entertainment system seems to have a different UI and different rules as to what it'll play automatically or where it will look for your files.

Just put in an audio jack. Pure audio signal, no need for communication between car and phone, and everyone's happy. And I can hook up whatever audio source I want. I've more than once thought about bringing a synthesizer but my girlfriend explained she would throw us both out of the car.

USB is annoying because of what you mentioned, but at least it's functional - I've gotten wrong track orders, no folder structure, system that doesn't read disc numbers so it plays disc 1/track 1, then disc 2/track 1, then disc 1/track 2, etc. but at the very least I've been able to get my own music blaring in the car. OTOH I carry a USB drive with nothing but music folders all in the root directory in my travel bag, so I'm more-or-less prepared; I've definitely heard endless complaints about trying to get music on a smartphone to play via USB connection.

In-dash systems are starting to get better though, especially now that Android Auto or whatever is starting to get popular. That's really the only downside to an audio jack, the fact that futzing with the music involves messing with your phone while driving. My Passat has some annoying quirks, but it also has an SD card slot, which is nice because I don't have to worry about breaking off the USB drive sticking out of my center console or dashboard.

Platystemon posted:

The linked product has a direct electric connection to the FM tuner.

Yeah, I was just saying that Transmitters are generally pretty awful is all, I'm sure that thing works well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Kelp Me! posted:

Anyone who recommends an FM transmitter has never tried using one in or around a major city

My old 2000 Suzuki Esteem was perfect for FM transmitters since I could just shove the antenna all the way down and ruin my ability to pick up radio outside the confines of my car.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kelp Me! posted:

That's really the only downside to an audio jack, the fact that futzing with the music involves messing with your phone while driving.

For a while I was running some Cyanogenmod build or whatever that set up the phone so that IIRC a quick double tap on the volume-up button would skip to the next song, and that was a huge improvement over trying to use the screen. It was great when riding the motorcycle too because I could hit the volume button through the outside of my jacket pocket.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Explosionface posted:

For me, having my music on an iPod plugged into my car for highway travel is the only reliable way to get music I want on the go. Long stretches of rural highways in the Midwest aren't nice to internet connections. But that does sound pretty great overall.
You can set songs/albums/playlists to "available offline" and it will download and cache the songs on your device so you can play them without an internet connection. It's limited only by how much storage space you have on your device.

Spotify owns.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Collateral Damage posted:

You can set songs/albums/playlists to "available offline" and it will download and cache the songs on your device so you can play them without an internet connection. It's limited only by how much storage space you have on your device.

Spotify owns.

Technically, there is a limit of like 3,333 tracks or something.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Humerus posted:

Your car's radio might have an aux port in the back of the unit. My 2006 Corolla radio just has a CD player, but around back is an aux port for hooking up a CD changer. I got an adapter that has an iPod dock connector and just a regular 3.5mm jack.

Doubtful. I haven't been able to successfully find any information about adding one for it, anyways. We did have a 2003 silverado that I could have added on onto, though. It had the unit with the in dash 6 disc changer and I was able to find kits to add an aux port to it.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I got an aftermarket deck and use my phone with aux in, and Velcro my phone between the a.c. vents (98 Civic) so I can use my audio controls and GPS on the go.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Technically, there is a limit of like 3,333 tracks or something.

I have a playlist of 3,000 songs exactly (I have 10,000+ songs in iTunes, and I want to cycle out the recently listened stuff, and only have stuff I haven't heard in months). 3,000 songs is 8 days, 20 hours, according to iTunes.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm not sure locally stored MP3 etc. music is obsolete, but streaming is a drat good replacement for most people.

It doesn't really have to be a replacement per se, just a great additional option.

Locally-stored files will always be ready to play in an instant regardless of internet connectivity, server downtimes, RIAA fuckery, contract negotiations, user-end usage rights issues, etc, and big fat hard drives are as cheap as they've ever been, so I don't see local storage becoming obsolete anytime soon.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It doesn't really have to be a replacement per se, just a great additional option.

Locally-stored files will always be ready to play in an instant regardless of internet connectivity, server downtimes, RIAA fuckery, contract negotiations, user-end usage rights issues, etc, and big fat hard drives are as cheap as they've ever been, so I don't see local storage becoming obsolete anytime soon.

I don't want to buy CD's and I can't be bothered to :yarr: music so Spotify is really the only good option I have. It's cheap and it also means I don't have to bother keeping my music in sync between my devices.
I don't really know where else people get their music. I guess Itunes but that is POS on Windows as far as I know.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

My Lovely Horse posted:

We rent cars every few months and it's a complete crapshoot what any given car will have for music connections, or where they'll be hidden. Bluetooth is awful because the only thing that's more of a pain in the rear end than pairing your phone is unpairing it so it doesn't stick around in the device list forever.

I can tell you right now, if you're worried about your BT device name staying in that rental car then you'll be mortified by what else happens without you knowing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Amazon for older stuff on CD, but honestly the last 5 or 6 albums I bought were bought directly from the band or their website (off the top of my head it was Nine Inch Nails, Protest the Hero, the Fall of Troy, Steven Wilson , and this thread just reminded me I need to pre-order the upcoming Between the Buried and Me live CD/DVD/Bluray)

It seems like almost all new bands are either selling stuff themselves via Bandcamp or their own websites, or through their label's site, and the labels seem to have realized they were pricing themselves out of the market. That BTBAM cd/dvd/bluray combo is $20, which is not that bad for a 3-disc set. I think the MP3s are like :10bux: too.

Gromit posted:

I can tell you right now, if you're worried about your BT device name staying in that rental car then you'll be mortified by what else happens without you knowing.

I'm not sure why leaving your device name in a rental is a big deal, mine is just my phone's model number, I doubt they can glean anything relevant off the name XT-1096 :confused:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm not sure why leaving your device name in a rental is a big deal, mine is just my phone's model number, I doubt they can glean anything relevant off the name XT-1096 :confused:

That may be all that’s displayed on‐screen, but your device is uniquely identified internally.

Of course, anyone who could pull that information could get anything they need from the rental agency’s files.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I usually get songs off of Bandcamp et al, and then store them locally on my phone since I can't really use Spotify without it ruining my data cap.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BTW I dunno if I mentioned this in the thread before but Google Play Music lets you upload 20,000 of your own songs and stream them anywhere, also the pay version has Spotify-levels of music and you can also download songs for offline use in either version

I'm so moody with my music that when I go on a trip I'll just clear out my phone and download songs wherever I have wi-fi for listening later.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Explosionface posted:

For me, having my music on an iPod plugged into my car for highway travel is the only reliable way to get music I want on the go. Long stretches of rural highways in the Midwest aren't nice to internet connections. But that does sound pretty great overall.

This is excellent, yes. Especially a retrofitted classic, with an SSD and a new bigger battery. I've got almost 20k songs, 180gb drive, with 52gb free still. That's almost my entire collection of music.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kelp Me! posted:

BTW I dunno if I mentioned this in the thread before but Google Play Music lets you upload 20,000 of your own songs and stream them anywhere, also the pay version has Spotify-levels of music and you can also download songs for offline use in either version

I'm so moody with my music that when I go on a trip I'll just clear out my phone and download songs wherever I have wi-fi for listening later.

Yeah it also, I believe, includes YouTube red which eliminates ads on any platform. I have the family plan for myself, my wife, and my best friend, so each of our accounts is separate but paid by the same bill.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

IUG posted:

I have a playlist of 3,000 songs exactly (I have 10,000+ songs in iTunes, and I want to cycle out the recently listened stuff, and only have stuff I haven't heard in months). 3,000 songs is 8 days, 20 hours, according to iTunes.

How do you seriously listen to all that? You can't even know what you have with a collection that large.
Do you just add random stuff? You hear something and think " well, it didn't make me barf, so I'll add it"?
Do you treat your collection like the radio, where you have a ton of non-offensive, but bland, background noise?

You know how big mine is? 513 mp3s. Curated over a decade. I'm not OCD about it. I just only keep songs that I really enjoy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Johnny Aztec posted:

How do you seriously listen to all that? You can't even know what you have with a collection that large.
Do you just add random stuff? You hear something and think " well, it didn't make me barf, so I'll add it"?
Do you treat your collection like the radio, where you have a ton of non-offensive, but bland, background noise?

You know how big mine is? 513 mp3s. Curated over a decade. I'm not OCD about it. I just only keep songs that I really enjoy.

Some people like to download albums?

Your particular collection expanded to include the full albums would be over 5,000 songs; even if every two songs came from the same album, it would still be 2,500 songs. It's not hard to collect shitloads of music, even if you haven't listened to it all.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

I have 27k tracks, and I've listed to everything in there at least once. Even after filtering the crap out, I can treat it as a personal radio station that can play good stuff nonstop for a month without any repeats.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kelp Me! posted:

50,000 songs, actually.

Unfortunately the upload process is poo poo, and Google refuses to fix even basic categorization errors, they have tons of artists that are just lumped together because they use they share a name. Try looking up Prevail or Savanah in their store.

Or this:

I've reported a bunch of these errors, but they never get fixed. Spotify's support guys usually respond within a week, and they actually fix the issues, instead of ignoring them.

It leaves me with a feeling that Google doesn't really care, it's just another service to them, but to Spotify, the quality of their library is a top priority.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Platystemon posted:

That may be all that’s displayed on‐screen, but your device is uniquely identified internally.

Of course, anyone who could pull that information could get anything they need from the rental agency’s files.

It's worse than that - lots of car Bluetooth connections slurp your contacts from your phone too. And some even keep them (they just hide them) if you tell the interface to delete then all. Yaaaay.

Tl;dr: Don't Bluetooth connect your phone to a hire car.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I've reported a bunch of these errors, but they never get fixed. Spotify's support guys usually respond within a week, and they actually fix the issues, instead of ignoring them.
Huh, I should maybe write them about getting the synthpop project Autumn and the metal band Autumn mixed up in one album.

That was a surprise.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My Lovely Horse posted:

Huh, I should maybe write them about getting the synthpop project Autumn and the metal band Autumn mixed up in one album.

That was a surprise.

I see what you mean, those are... Very different :v:

You have to click through a couple of pages, but this is where you start: https://support.spotify.com/dk/using_spotify/search_play/how-do-i-report-a-content-error-on-spotify/

You need the Spotify URI, which you get from the (...) button and "Share...", it's "spotify:artist:7mdh9mziYyoyx5akHNGFte". I've reported it as well, maybe that gets a quicker response :)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Pham Nuwen posted:

For a while I was running some Cyanogenmod build or whatever that set up the phone so that IIRC a quick double tap on the volume-up button would skip to the next song, and that was a huge improvement over trying to use the screen. It was great when riding the motorcycle too because I could hit the volume button through the outside of my jacket pocket.

Any Android I've encountered lets you skip by either double tapping or holding the volume up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SEKCobra posted:

Any Android I've encountered lets you skip by either double tapping or holding the volume up.

Mine doesn't (Moto X Play) :(

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

legooolas posted:

It's worse than that - lots of car Bluetooth connections slurp your contacts from your phone too. And some even keep them (they just hide them) if you tell the interface to delete then all. Yaaaay.

Tl;dr: Don't Bluetooth connect your phone to a hire car.

It's actually worse than that, so yeah - don't pair your phone with a rental.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

It's actually worse than that, so yeah - don't pair your phone with a rental.

What do they do don't beat around the bush Australian spook guy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kelp Me! posted:

YMMV for sure, but Boston and NYC were total no-gos for me.

Good thing I was making a generalization regarding car audio options and not specifically singling out a post, then!

USB is annoying because of what you mentioned, but at least it's functional - I've gotten wrong track orders, no folder structure, system that doesn't read disc numbers so it plays disc 1/track 1, then disc 2/track 1, then disc 1/track 2, etc. but at the very least I've been able to get my own music blaring in the car. OTOH I carry a USB drive with nothing but music folders all in the root directory in my travel bag, so I'm more-or-less prepared; I've definitely heard endless complaints about trying to get music on a smartphone to play via USB connection.

In-dash systems are starting to get better though, especially now that Android Auto or whatever is starting to get popular. That's really the only downside to an audio jack, the fact that futzing with the music involves messing with your phone while driving. My Passat has some annoying quirks, but it also has an SD card slot, which is nice because I don't have to worry about breaking off the USB drive sticking out of my center console or dashboard.

Yeah, I was just saying that Transmitters are generally pretty awful is all, I'm sure that thing works well

Speaking of USB, apparently Chrysler started using a universal harness for their 2010 lines, so if you didn't pay for a USB port, there's very likely one tied up behind your dashboard. Unfortunately my car is a 2009, so my rooting around was fruitless, despite my stock head unit having USB pinouts.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

legooolas posted:

:words:

Don't Bluetooth connect your phone to a hire car.

Yeah, they might not like it if you do.
:downsrim:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'm at work, so I don't really have the library on me, just my iPhone. But basically I've been using mp3s since the Napster days, and iTunes since 1.0. I don't watch TV anymore other than some HBO or stuff, so I just listen to music. And my work lets me have a bluetooth speaker in front of me, playing whatever I want, for 9 hours a day. So at work, I listen to over 100 tracks a day.

I do add entire albums rather than just singles. Some bands I'll have their entire discography (Foo Fighters, Nine Inch Nails, Queens of the Stone Age, etc), making it like 200 songs per artist. Otherwise I have a few albums from various artists across a number of genres (but not country, dubstep, chiptunes).

Since I listen to so much music each day, I feel like things get stale, so I'll download another album by some other band I like, or something I need to check up on. My most recent stuff is OK Go's first album, Flobot's latest, Massive Attack as I want to check out more Trip Hop, an old Incubus album, a Talking Heads greatest hits CD, Porkupine Tree, etc.

I also have a playlist of 40 of the least recently played music. Right now, that's stuff I haven't played since September. For me, it's nice to have music from the 90s that I may have heard hundreds of times (now playing Stone Temple Pilot's "Kitchenware & Candybars"), but haven't heard in months, so I'm not sick of it.

Here's my Last.fm page to see just how much music I go through:
https://www.last.fm/user/JonFromCT/library
(Yes, I know I listen to some garbage. Also Garbage.)

If I only had 500 songs, I would listen to that in about 4 days, and go crazy from the repetition.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

I heart bacon posted:

That car is so old i feel like a bluetooth joke just doesn't work.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I heart bacon posted:

I could go for a hires float mine are always so pixelated and ugly

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

I could go for a hires float

:agreed: Breakfast of champions :yum:

Kelp Me! posted:

mine are always so pixelated and ugly

seek kelp :haw:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

shovelbum posted:

What do they do don't beat around the bush Australian spook guy

https://berla.co/products/ive/

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I have a dashcam in my car.

One of my fears is that it will record my death and people will learn what poo poo music I listen to.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Didn't realize the canbus peripherals did so much logging, gonna buy another ancient car thanks for this ammo in my ongoing attempts to justify buying horrible vehicl edit do the manufacturers go along with this or are they just incredibly bad at security

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Probably both. Manufacturers are terribly bad at security.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Probably both. Manufacturers are Everyone is terribly bad at security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

spog posted:

I have a dashcam in my car.

One of my fears is that it will record my death and people will learn what poo poo music I listen to.

Same here.

"At the time of your death, you were listening to... Evanescene's 'Bring Me To Life'? Really dude?"