Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Belichick frequently makes players appear better than they are, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm not a sharp eyed football mind but I heard multiple times that Butler would only be left 1 on 1 with the #2 receiver the times when he was in single coverage.

I dunno how much someone who shuts down the #2 receiver is worth.

A lot, if you've also got a guy who can shut down the #1 receiver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm really excited for the eagles this year. Wantz has NFL weapons now that can win one . I love huge wide outs .

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I didn't see it actually posted here, but the Browns did sign JC Tretter. So they signed the #2 rated FA Center and the top two FA guards (including extending Bitonio). Maybe they can package Osweiler and Cam Erving and pick up a 2019 7th rounder from someone.

Possibly relevant, Jimmy G's Instagram has a farewell message
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRc6C27BuMq/?taken-by=jimmypolo10&hl=en

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Volkerball posted:

Bill is the least loyal son of a bitch in sports. The poo poo he pulled on Mankins and Seymour was next level cold.

But Mankins and Seymour were on the downside of their career and it make sense to ship both out while they still had value. Butler is entering his prime years and if he could be retained for what they gave Gilmore, well, why not do that instead?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

But Mankins and Seymour were on the downside of their career and it make sense to ship both out while they still had value. Butler is entering his prime years and if he could be retained for what they gave Gilmore, well, why not do that instead?

I'm wondering if it's simply that they can keep him for one more year at $4m and aren't willing to give that year of low pay up.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
DJ Hayden to the Lions apparently

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Gilmore is younger than Butler and they might view him as a better player

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

89 posted:

Hey, did you guys know that Alshon Jeffrey is a Philadelphia Eagle? :iamafag:

Did you guys know thatttt? :iamafag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prgm4eKq6d4

You're dead to me, 89. You don't go messing around with another guys receiver. It just ain't right. :(

Ehud posted:

Ted Larsen (G) is visiting and probably getting a deal today, so they will probably roll with him instead of Bushrod, but other than that, I agree.

Larsen was pretty solid for the Bears last year. With Long and Sitton constantly injured, he saw a lot of playing time. It was a good signing, I was hoping we'd keep him.

beejay posted:

He could be amazing but he's got nobody to throw to. Also the defense is poo poo. Also Pace doesn't seem to be that great at drafting. DA BEARS

I've had a night to sleep on it and consume some local media and I think the move is fine. All reports say it is a one year prove it deal, for all intents and purposes. That means instead of going the safe route, they are at least trying to hit a home run at QB, while hedging their bets. I respect that.

They've addressed tight end, so between Miller and Sims, we should be all right. I wouldn't mind the Bears going after Pryor so I don't have to worry about the receiver position.

And lol at Pace not seeming to be good at drafting. Which pick from last year's draft makes you think he was bad?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

evilweasel posted:

I'm wondering if it's simply that they can keep him for one more year at $4m and aren't willing to give that year of low pay up.

Yeah, why would you even bother? It requires you to be a bit of a sociopath but you could easily rationalize it to yourself by saying "Well, rules are rules and he's not going hungry!"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/840200684561657857

I like it. Also Jabaal Sheard is visiting Indy today.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah, why would you even bother? It requires you to be a bit of a sociopath but you could easily rationalize it to yourself by saying "Well, rules are rules and he's not going hungry!"

Well, you can use it as leverage to get him to sign a below-market deal, but I expect he's just not willing to accept that and will play for $4m and hit free agency rather than take the below-market deal. Same as anyone who calls a team on their franchise tag, but gets about 10m less out of it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

DJ Hayden to the Lions apparently

addition by subtraction! the only type of addition we're gonna get any time soon from the look of it. :(

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Volkerball posted:

addition by subtraction! the only type of addition we're gonna get any time soon from the look of it. :(

It's Friday, Reggie always wheels and deals on Friday

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/joshnorris/status/840205350984904705

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/840205590173536256

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/840205590173536256

fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

This doesn't even rate in the top 10 of the Pats being sociopaths lol. Butler absolutely should get paid, but there is a good chance that's what happens this year.

If I understand the 1st round tender thing right, any team can give him a big money offer that the Pats either have to match (so he gets paid by them), or don't (so he gets paid by somebody else) in return for giving them a 1st rounder. A 1st rounder isn't nothing, but he's as close to a sure thing at corner as anybody is going to get, and he's only like 26. There is a pretty good chance it happens, I think.

Or they can trade him to somebody who will give him a similarly big deal, which seems to be what they actually want to do by trading him to the Saints for Cooks. I imagine the Saints would back up the money truck to get an actually good cornerback in their prime.

Butler only gets hosed with a low payday if nobody wants to give up a 1st for him or wants to make a trade for him. I think.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 10, 2017

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I assume Belichick just thinks Gilmore is better.

Also, he's notorious for making moves that are too cute by half, but the missteps don't end up mattering because they always win anyway.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

I assume Belichick just thinks Gilmore is better.

Yeah, that's where I am on it.

Also Logan Ryan got 3 years $30m from the Titans :stare:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Butler has nothing to complain, he is going to get a big deal after his 4th season no matter what happens, just like a player who was drafted outside the first round would get. If they signed him to a long term deal right now it would be of course be significantly below market rate for an URFA, because it not only gives him security but he also obligated to play for 3.5m this year.

But, as I said before, it makes no sense for them to sign him to a long-term deal right now, because it would reduce their options (trading would be difficult because of the signing bonus) while not giving them a clear advantage.

I don't get why people think they could be smarter than Bill Belichick.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Kalli posted:

Logan Ryan screams of overrated Pats corner but do ya thang Titans

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kalli posted:

This is #1 CB money and Ryan was good, but not great. Are the Titans that hard up for CBs?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

One year, up to $5.25 million for DJ Hayden. I'm cool with it.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Hot Diggity! posted:

fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Alter Ego posted:

This is #1 CB money and Ryan was good, but not great. Are the Titans that hard up for CBs?

From what I've seen the answer is "yes, absolutely."

Plus I'm pretty sure they have cap space to burn so why not.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Shangri-Law School posted:

Pros: Looked better last year than he had in his first few years

Cons: Jersey grabbing on 3rd and 15

If the Lions use him as a slot corner and never let him on the outside it could work

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

The corners made Matt Barkley and Brock Osweiler look good so you tell me

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shangri-Law School posted:

Not a bad prove it deal, but I bet you he gets let go next offseason.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Since the 2011 CBA have any restricted free agents actually been signed to another team and traded for the pick? I know immediately after for the next couple of years there was a lot of transparent collusion with low round tenders. I haven't paid as much attention the last couple of years so maybe that's changed.

Otherwise Butler's staying on the Patriots for another year. It might make sense to give up the pick but teams have mostly just used it as a way to avoid paying players for a little longer.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

sean10mm posted:

This doesn't even rate in the top 10 of the Pats being sociopaths lol. Butler absolutely should get paid, but there is a good chance that's what happens this year.

If I understand the 1st round tender thing right, any team can give him a big money offer that the Pats either have to match (so he gets paid by them), or don't (so he gets paid by somebody else) in return for giving them a 1st rounder. A 1st rounder isn't nothing, but he's as close to a sure thing at corner as anybody is going to get, and he's only like 26. There is a pretty good chance it happens, I think.

Or they can trade him to somebody who will give him a similarly big deal, which seems to be what they actually want to do by trading him to the Saints for Cooks. I imagine the Saints would back up the money truck to get an actually good cornerback in their prime.

Butler only gets hosed with a low payday if nobody wants to give up a 1st for him or wants to make a trade for him. I think.

I'm not sure Malcolm Butler is worth a first. Or rather, I'm not sure a team would be willing to give him a big contract and have to give up a 1st. So I think it's more likely he just plays out his final year, with a slim chance he gets traded.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Since the 2011 CBA have any restricted free agents actually been signed to another team and traded for the pick? I know immediately after for the next couple of years there was a lot of transparent collusion with low round tenders. I haven't paid as much attention the last couple of years so maybe that's changed.

Otherwise Butler's staying on the Patriots for another year. It might make sense to give up the pick but teams have mostly just used it as a way to avoid paying players for a little longer.

Hogan was signed by the Patriots from the Bills and Sanders got an offer sheet from the Patriots but the Steelers matched it - that's the one I know of the top of my head.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Can't remember exactly how or when the Wes Welker trade happened, but I think he counts?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The Colts apparently are planning to draft 9-10 starters on defense, as well as a WR2, a RB who's under 50, and 2-3 OL.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

Hogan was signed by the Patriots from the Bills and Sanders got an offer sheet from the Patriots but the Steelers matched it - that's the one I know of the top of my head.

Hogan didn't cost a pick.

And Welker was in 2007.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Nail Rat posted:

The Colts apparently are planning to draft 9-10 starters on defense, as well as a WR2, a RB who's under 50, and 2-3 OL.

We may need an upgrade at WR3, but Moncrief is quite good as our WR2.

There are still several guys out there in FA that can fill needs for us and be real upgrades. I'm not sweating too bad yet, even if it sucks to miss out on some of the high-ticket guys.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

ShakeZula posted:

We may need an upgrade at WR3, but Moncrief is quite good as our WR2.

There are still several guys out there in FA that can fill needs for us and be real upgrades. I'm not sweating too bad yet, even if it sucks to miss out on some of the high-ticket guys.

I'm sure they'll get some guys, but Grigson spent five years trying to find the diamonds in the rough after the most-desired guys were taken, and well this is where it got us. Although he also always ended up paying the #8 or #9 LB on the market 90% of what the #1 guy got(when he was bidding against no one else, to boot), so I guess we'll see how much Ballard pays the JAGs.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Hogan didn't cost a pick.

And Welker was in 2007.

And now I feel old :(

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Since the 2011 CBA have any restricted free agents actually been signed to another team and traded for the pick?

Emmanuel Sanders a couple years ago? The Patriots signed him to an offer sheet, but the Broncos swooped in at the last minute.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Alter Ego posted:

Emmanuel Sanders a couple years ago? The Patriots signed him to an offer sheet, but the Broncos swooped in at the last minute.

That was when he was still a Steeler that the Patriots signed him to an offer sheet that the Steelers matched. iirc

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Alter Ego posted:

No it was the Chiefs that had him almost signed, when the Broncos swooped in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

That was for the 2013 season with Steelers and Patriots. He was an unrestricted free agent in 2014 when he signed with the Broncos.

• Locked thread