Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if it'll help you get abs - go for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
edit: agh joke is ruined by being on a diff page than the referenced post

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i'm also applying for a 16 hour a week alcohol and drug clinician job. i kinda like rehab tbh, well the idea of it, never worked rehab but plenty of exposure to methadone peeps etc.. not a clue if it'll pay well or not? not a clue

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Luigi Thirty posted:

good news: this local company with an office 10 minutes from my house wants to fill 12 positions of all experience levels with C# people and Angular people to build a new ecommerce platform and they pay $60k which is good for this area

bad news: it's a weight loss MLM operation

I'm morally conflicted here

come write mumps and get payed 50% more than that

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

cis autodrag posted:

come write mumps and get payed 50% more than that

I'd have to move to some garbo part of the country to write MUMPS

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
what do you guys put for job titles on resume if you were at a tiny company where you wore a million hats and nobody had an actual formal job title?

titles suck in general, but what's the guidance here? big companies have stuff like junior senior front-end react developer II, but is it fair to claim "Full-Stack Software Engineer" or something if literally everybody in development at the company just called themselves software engineer with no adjectives or business cards?

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
I just put Software Developer with a couple lines of cool stuff I knocked out at that company. Really it's just to get past HR drones, once I'm talking to another engineer we can figure out where I can do the most damage.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

good news: this local company with an office 10 minutes from my house wants to fill 12 positions of all experience levels with C# people and Angular people to build a new ecommerce platform and they pay $60k which is good for this area

probably a pretty easy gig you could do in ur spare time. angular sucks tho.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i went from Associate Software Engineer to Software Engineer after like 9 months at my first job which impresses people for some reason when in reality i went from "support turd" to "maintenance turd"

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Twerk from Home posted:

what do you guys put for job titles on resume if you were at a tiny company where you wore a million hats and nobody had an actual formal job title?

titles suck in general, but what's the guidance here? big companies have stuff like junior senior front-end react developer II, but is it fair to claim "Full-Stack Software Engineer" or something if literally everybody in development at the company just called themselves software engineer with no adjectives or business cards?

unless youre leader of thing titles have no meaning so nobody cares. just put whatever you think is cool and useful for the future

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

i went from Associate Software Engineer to Software Engineer after like 9 months at my first job which impresses people for some reason when in reality i went from "support turd" to "maintenance turd"

the first company i was at changed me from "software developer" to "development manager" because everybody who made over an insultingly low number needed to be a "manager" even if they had 0 reports

i don't put that on my resume because i've never managed anyone and it's dumb as heck

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Twerk from Home posted:

the first company i was at changed me from "software developer" to "development manager" because everybody who made over an insultingly low number needed to be a "manager" even if they had 0 reports

i don't put that on my resume because i've never managed anyone and it's dumb as heck

this was likely intended to force you to work copious amounts of overtime as a salaried "manager" position

:911:

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

poty posted:

unless youre leader of thing titles have no meaning so nobody cares. just put whatever you think is cool and useful for the future

Yep, this.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

note: dont put stupid gimmick titles. if you list yourself as a growth hacker or grand poobah or tech evangelist or something your resume belongs in the trash

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Bloody posted:

note: dont put stupid gimmick titles. if you list yourself as a growth hacker or grand poobah or tech evangelist or something your resume belongs in the trash

junior knob slobber II

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

dev evangelist is a million times less bullshit of a title than growth hacker tbh

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Chief Strategy Officer

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

'growth hacker' is only a vaguely suitable title if you are a surgical oncologist

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

my title was technically "software support engineer" until a couple weeks ago but i just put "software developer" because gently caress that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

'growth hacker' is only a vaguely suitable title if you are a surgical oncologist

lmbo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

note that this depends on what you're applying to of course; one company's "field applications engineer" is another's "tech evangelist"

or maybe tech evangelist is marketing, who loving knows with these titles.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
big companies have levels that correspond to pay grades and titles certainly do matter to them. they are roughly something like this:

engineer 1, junior x engineer
engineer 2, x engineer
engineer 3, senior x engineer
engineer 4, senior x engineer
engineer 5, principal x engineer
engineer 6, x architect
engineer 7, scientist / chief architect
engineer 8, distinguished engineer / fellow

things get fuzzy at the top but that doesn't matter because most people don't make it past 4

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

oh poo poo is that principal x engineer collab is dropping soon its flame emoji

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Be like Valve where nobody has a job title :smug:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sapozhnik posted:

or does anything ever

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sapozhnik posted:

no titles, lots of hats

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Luigi Thirty posted:

new ecommerce platform as in written from scratch, or new ecommerce platform as in hacking on magento or opencart or whatnot?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

or does anything ever

sounds heavenly

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

cis autodrag posted:

fyi, yoga pants are actually significantly warmer than jeans in the winter. women's denim is super thing compared to men's stuff but most yoga pants (lulu aside) are decently thick. it's all anyone wears in the winter around here. if u gents arent ashamed of ur junk u should try them on because they are comfortable as gently caress too.

I got a pair of those jeans with the flannel lining on the inside they are warm as gently caress

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Management posted:

big companies have levels that correspond to pay grades and titles certainly do matter to them. they are roughly something like this:

engineer 1, junior x engineer
engineer 2, x engineer
engineer 3, senior x engineer
engineer 4, senior x engineer
engineer 5, principal x engineer
engineer 6, x architect
engineer 7, scientist / chief architect
engineer 8, distinguished engineer / fellow

things get fuzzy at the top but that doesn't matter because most people don't make it past 4

At small companies the titles are made up and the experience doesn't matter.

Just like the president. :v:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

my company is small-ish and does that too, I don't necessarily think im any better at my job than my peers but I have a bunch of qualifiers on my title which I presume maps to my salary band

or maybe it's just imposter syndrome :ohdear:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
you only have defined titles and a set salary band if your job has a public counterpart or is otherwise dictated by industry standards and/or union regulation

if not, you're just being paid as little as the boss thinks he can get away with and being given madeup titles only specifically defined by your company

discrepancies surrounding stuff like that is literally glassdoor's business model

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my previous company had job titles with some semblance of ordinality

their magic trick was having different titles within those ranks worded in a way that you wouldn't think much about the differences between them, and their job duties might be pretty much indistinguishable, but they linked to different compensation plans

like one guy might be a senior application developer when another person on the same project was a senior systems engineer and another was a senior project engineer and they would all be performing about the same duties but have completely different compensation plans

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we just set our pay bands to roughly double from bottom to top and then to also overlap by 50% or so so it was all meaningless garbage

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im a pharmacist and techs get paid like half of what I do but also do all the hard work and I just sign poo poo because of "responsibility"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

we have about 10 bands but every developer starts at band 6

i work with devs who have been here 20 years and who are band 8, because moving up to band 9 means being a senior technical leader and they don't want to do that

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just found out my friend applied for the same job a month before me without any response, and it's been listed since July 2016. I'm just going to call them because this is dumb.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

If anyone is looking for a python/big data dev position in Seattle we're hiring. The pay is pretty meh but its an exciting time at the company, we're slowly moving off our farm of postgres databases to some kind of big data analytics solution.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
there is only one dev title here: "R&D". the only way to "move up" is to become a manager. instead some kind of ranking system determines your raises. it feels like bullshit to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

• Locked thread