Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Why would I read scribblings from Tolkien's math notebook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kwyndig posted:

Because Chris Tolkien got to get paid, yo

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kwyndig posted:

Antivehicular posted:

Because Chris Tolkien got to get paid, yo

Look at these scrubs who probably couldn't even be bothered to learn Mercian.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
LotR is the only geek thing more boring than anime. Both just suck terribly. Hope this helps.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Arivia posted:

LotR is the only geek thing more boring than anime. Both just suck terribly. Hope this helps.

- A Forgotten Realms Fan :irony:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Arivia posted:

You know, there are easier ways to get clicks.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I love the poo poo out of LotR because it's awesome

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Simian_Prime posted:

:thurman:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Simian_Prime posted:

I think we can all agree that Forgotten Realms is easily the most boring official D&D setting

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

drrockso20 posted:

I think we can all agree that Forgotten Realms is easily the most boring official D&D setting

Forgotten Realms vs Dragonlance is a real Sophie's Choice

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The elves from the most recent Laundry novel are pretty good.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I'm going mostly off memory, but the big thing with Tolkein elves is that they cannot stop themselves. Once they've given an oath, or they make a passionate declaration, or they even just cared too much about something, it becomes an obsession for them. It doesn't matter what's in their way, and this is not in a rad or badass haha accomplish anything sense, but in the "they will eagerly murder their family on the spot" sort of way. Their "spirit" is also stronger then their actual body because they are not entirely physical beings, so you get stuff like elves literally dying because they were too emotional, or in the case of Feanor, who get so angry at their own approaching death that their body bursts into flames. After telling his sons, even though he knew that their mission would end in failure and misery, to hold true to their oaths.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I like TES elves because every race embodies a standard elf trope so hard that it becomes novel.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hey N'wah you a S'wit or what?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

drrockso20 posted:

How can it be the most boring? It has like ten goddamn kinds of elves! There are sun elves! Moon elves! Wingaling elves! Elves that are kind of like werewolves except just the cool "turn into a big rad dog" part and not the inconvenient cursed part!! FORGOTTEN ELFS

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Elves in LotR are pretty nuanced, especially with how they damned everyone by holding onto their rings.

I'm sure it's nowhere near the quality of the works of Elaine Cunningham and R.A. Salvatore though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Drizzt could beat Gil-Galad in a fight

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I love the Dunmers because even though they are the dark elves and their entire culture is based on being douches they are still the objectively less evil elves of TES lore

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Drizzt could beat Gil-Galad in a fight

don't even start this poo poo i swear to god

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

More like Forgettable Realms.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Plutonis posted:

I love the Dunmers because even though they are the dark elves and their entire culture is based on being douches they are still the objectively less evil elves of TES lore

This is objectively true, but I would nominate TES Orcs for at least second place here.
Yes, they like fightan, but for the most part just want to be left alone. They don't ever start poo poo, they just get dragged into everyone else's poo poo.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Antivehicular posted:

How can it be the most boring? It has like ten goddamn kinds of elves! There are sun elves! Moon elves! Wingaling elves! Elves that are kind of like werewolves except just the cool "turn into a big rad dog" part and not the inconvenient cursed part!! FORGOTTEN ELFS

It has devil elves called fey'ri because somebody thought they were awfully clever.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
One FR concept I did like was the Time of Troubles and the idea of the gods getting kicked down to the mortal plane with a fraction of their power for a divine Battle Royale. The concept was underutilized, though; I'd like to make a Godbound campaign where each PC is an Avatar during the Troubles and give them a chance to tear down the FR setting from the ground up and rebuild it to their whims.

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 10, 2017

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Plutonis posted:

Do the Bosmer rank above or below the Dunmer on this scale?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Why are we not discussing dwarves, The Best Species?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

To bring this full circle Warhammer Dark Elves are evil white guy slavers.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Serf posted:

Why are we not discussing dwarves, The Best Species?

What is there to say about dwarves? They're like three jobs, the species. They have a role and they fit into it well, but in a way you can easily tell stories about them because they're still relatable. None of this immortal half-spirit crap or post-scarcity perfect human crap you get with elves.

Dwarves like fighting, digging, and making stuff. They fill the time in between with ale and sometimes being stodgy codgers. There's nothing you need to fix about them unless for some reason you want them to have more nuance. Dwarven communities are basically less rambunctious mining towns that are actually built into the mountain.

Now that would be a fun take, get rid of the dwarven reserve and just go full mining town with dwarven gambling and prostitutes alongside the ale halls.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

Do the Bosmer rank above or below the Dunmer on this scale?

Bosmer are cannibals who might be responsible for every non-dragon monster roaming around the World.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Simian_Prime posted:

One FR concept I did like was the Time of Troubles and the idea of the gods getting kicked down to the mortal plane with a fraction of their power for a divine Battle Royale. The concept was underutilized, though; I'd like to make a Godbound campaign where each PC is an Avatar during the Troubles and give them a chance to tear down the FR setting from the ground up and rebuild it to their whims.

Libertad did a writeup of just that on his blog. It's a great way to redeem the ToT I think.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Dwarves are more relatable because, much like us, they make constant huge fuckups and ruin everything around them for everybody. People don't repeat the "dug too deep" thing for nothing.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

drrockso20 posted:

Forgotten Realm seems like Glorantha or Tekumel, when compared to the deadly-dull Greyhawk.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Greyhawk: Meek Mill (zuhh??)
Forgotten Realms: Vanilla Ice (lame-o)
Ravenloft: Jay-Z (hmm getting better)
Dark Sun: Eminem (oh hell yeah good)
Eberron: Wu Tang Clan (simply epic, a pic of the transcendent human brain)

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

What is there to say about dwarves? They're like three jobs, the species. They have a role and they fit into it well, but in a way you can easily tell stories about them because they're still relatable. None of this immortal half-spirit crap or post-scarcity perfect human crap you get with elves.

Dwarves like fighting, digging, and making stuff. They fill the time in between with ale and sometimes being stodgy codgers. There's nothing you need to fix about them unless for some reason you want them to have more nuance. Dwarven communities are basically less rambunctious mining towns that are actually built into the mountain.

Now that would be a fun take, get rid of the dwarven reserve and just go full mining town with dwarven gambling and prostitutes alongside the ale halls.

Hence why they are The Best.

In terms of interesting species, I've always had a soft spot for the "monstrous" ones. Orcs, goblins, kobolds, bugbears etc. I always disliked how they were presented as acceptable targets for players to just kill without thinking. I remember reading the 3.0 Monster Manual in middle school and finding it odd that they given less intelligence and were always some flavor of evil. I guess the latter is more an issue with the whole alignment system, which is a dumb thing in general but even dumber to apply to a sapient species. Maybe it's just the contrarian in me, but I always thought that the "monstrous" species got a bad rap.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

Forgotten Realm seems like Glorantha or Tekumel, when compared to the deadly-dull Greyhawk.

Greyhawk isn't so much a setting as it's a series of scraps of paper and stained spiral notebooks edited into a document with "campaign setting" written on it.

In related news, Chaosium's new RuneQuest edition is almost done from what they've said and the cover image is pretty great.

The cover of the last Chaosium edition, the second edition.

The box for Runequest 2 from a small UK company called Games Workshop.

I'll definitely be picking this up at Gencon.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 10, 2017

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Serf posted:

Hence why they are The Best.

In terms of interesting species, I've always had a soft spot for the "monstrous" ones. Orcs, goblins, kobolds, bugbears etc. I always disliked how they were presented as acceptable targets for players to just kill without thinking. I remember reading the 3.0 Monster Manual in middle school and finding it odd that they given less intelligence and were always some flavor of evil. I guess the latter is more an issue with the whole alignment system, which is a dumb thing in general but even dumber to apply to a sapient species. Maybe it's just the contrarian in me, but I always thought that the "monstrous" species got a bad rap.

Agreed. I especially like goblins, don't really know why but they just appeal to me.

One of my favorite D&D-likes, Old School Hack, does away with halflings and replaces them with goblins, which is cool because I love goblins.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Goblins are cool and good because they're little green living pretexts for fun shenanigans, regardless of whether you're framing them as comic reliefs or clever schemers.

Now, gnomes are bland goblin knock-offs for babies.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Greyhawk isn't so much a setting as it's a series of scraps of paper and stained spiral notebooks edited into a document with "campaign setting" written on it.

In related news, Chaosium's new RuneQuest edition is almost done from what they've said and the cover image is pretty great.

The cover of the last Chaosium edition, the second edition.

The box for Runequest 2 from a small UK company called Games Workshop.

I'll definitely be picking this up at Gencon.

I might be wrong, but I think the new image is for their Free RPG Day offering. Which, granted, is going to be a New Runequest quickstart booklet.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Runequest and Monstrous PC chat makes me want to play in a Trollpak game.

I know! The Last of Uz, where you play a grizzled old Great Troll warrior and the teenaged first surfaceborn Mistress race troll he's bodyguarding for reasons.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 10, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So what would the stats be for shitpost elves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

gradenko_2000 posted: