Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fiction posted:

I like how the Freedom Caucus won't pass it unless the Republicans do this, effectively meaning either there's no repeal or the whole party commits seppuku during the 2018 elections.

trump's been arguing that not passing it would be political suicide because it goes against most popular president ever donald trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

You can't pass complete clean repeal with reconciliation because it wouldn't be deficit neutral between restoring the borrowed Medicare funding and removing all the taxes.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Schnorkles posted:

Ryan's problem is the suicide caucus. They will not govern and will happily blow up anything, and there's no reason for the democrats to give them any help.

This rules and it is a thing that makes me happy. They are so hosed.
Well we are hosed too but whatevs :shrug:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Watching 80s movies today can be so hosed up. Half of them involve just gunning down people living in cities to stop crime and drugs. It's a really bizarre fantasy version of the world.

at least robocop understood this and was straight satire

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
It's almost like they are trying to do something that's impossible and having a lot of problems coming up with a way to do the impossible. Strange. :hmm:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

pretty irresponsible to use a baby walker, doctors today discourage their use because they can fall over

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Fiction posted:

Is the CBO report if it ever comes out gonna mention how bad this bill would tank our economy?

I think it depends on how they request information from the CBO. I remember some bill, maybe Ryan's, from a few years ago where the request was just "assume this bill gives us massive job growth and is revenue neutral".

The press fell for it, because of course they did, but anyone that read past the first few pages saw what actually happened

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

hes probably not wearing pants or else he would have gotten up

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

zegermans posted:

You can't pass complete clean repeal with reconciliation because it wouldn't be deficit neutral between restoring the borrowed Medicare funding and removing all the taxes.

There's also tons of "incidentals" that can't be touched via reconciliation. (see: all of the private insurance regs, pre-existing conditions, non medicaid expansion "essential care".) They theoretically can do a rule change, but no one seems interested in doing that.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Watching 80s movies today can be so hosed up. Half of them involve just gunning down people living in cities to stop crime and drugs. It's a really bizarre fantasy version of the world.

This is also the recent Dredd movie. People tell me it was actually clever satire, and I wasn't paying much attention so that might be true, but I'm really suspicious because what I saw when I was looking was an unironic right-wing fever dream.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/840159977016836096?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I can't stop laughing at this.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Shageletic posted:

Is the Criminal Division under a military commander's authority (I don't know what I'm talking about, just thinking about that Gillibrand bill to put the prosecution of sex crimes outside the regular military heirarchy).

They are. But their command authority line is 100% outside of that of tenant units on post or, IIRC, even the post commander outside of basic poo poo like post policies. Likewise, military prosecutors work with commanders, but technically don't work "for" those commanders. This allows them to pursue charges even if a brigade commander doesn't want to.

I can see Gellibrand's point, but in the state I'm posted in there are some backward laws and attitudes and lack of funds that make the local DA office quick to back away from a sexual assault case that isn't a slam dunk. Off-post offenses by military members can be tried on post if civilian authorities don't want the case. If a service member is a victim to a civilian off post we're out of luck if the civilian agencies don't pursue charges.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

ayyyyy nice, gently caress this guy, but, nothing matters

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Serf posted:

if someone asked me to name my favorite movie of all time, i would say robert cop

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Serf posted:

Yeah Robocop 1 was a good movie. I just remember one of the death wish movies was quite literally him just declaring war in the ghetto. Like with machine guns and his own little army

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

lol

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
it baffles me that "well, now if someone reports sexual assault we will investigate it" is seen as a cultural shift

the cultural problems are rooted far more in social backlash against those who speak up and the way declaring who you want to gently caress is seen as just boys being boys rather than loving gross

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Feminasty Slut posted:

Well ya see you got your coffee shitposts. Then you got your booze shitposts. Then over there you got your gently caress everything smoke weed everyday hail satan screaming into the abyss nihilism.

:coffeepal:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Crusader posted:

if someone asked me to name my favorite movie of all time, i would say robert cop

:vince:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fiction posted:

Is the CBO report if it ever comes out gonna mention how bad this bill would tank our economy?

would it matter?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Coolguye posted:

would it matter?

yes

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

This is also the recent Dredd movie. People tell me it was actually clever satire, and I wasn't paying much attention so that might be true, but I'm really suspicious because what I saw when I was looking was an unironic right-wing fever dream.

That was a good action movie but I don't remember the details so I can't say for sure.

Dredd seems to really suffer from this problem where the difference between satire and outright fascism is razor thin.

I'm not sure if it's possible to have clever satire of fascism at all. So many people look past all subtext and just see bad rear end dudes in armor and go whole hog for authoritarian bootlicking.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

mormonpartyboat posted:

it baffles me that "well, now if someone reports sexual assault we will investigate it" is seen as a cultural shift

the cultural problems are rooted far more in social backlash against those who speak up and the way declaring who you want to gently caress is seen as just boys being boys rather than loving gross

Under UCMJ nowadays if I poked you in the mouth with an index finger and the right person saw or you reported it, it would get investigated as a sexual assault. Some people are slow to embrace that.

I don't say this to minimize more severe instances but poo poo is fuckin' serious nowadays.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

dredd involved a woman doing things so it wasn't right-wing

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

pretty sure thats the point of judge dredd yeah

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Yinlock posted:

Like dishes and laundry?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

Like dishes and laundry?

no she killed the poo poo out of a lot of dudes

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/840233543657771008
hmmmm

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Feminasty Slut posted:

Well ya see you got your coffee shitposts. Then you got your booze shitposts. Then over there you got your gently caress everything smoke weed everyday hail satan screaming into the abyss nihilism.

All three, every day, until I die (tomorrow).

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Put me in it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Combine this with Mean World Syndrome (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_world_syndrome) and you can see how we've arrived at the modern white consensus that cities are death traps. I was in Chicago on the South Side last week and one of my coworkers unironically asked me if I saw anyone get shot.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The other proposed cemetery would have 284 lots for sale to the public. There, buyers could pay for a kind of eternal membership in Trump’s club — even if it isn’t clear Trump himself would ever join them.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Going to be a growth industry when this healthcare bill passes

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I love 80's/90's cheesy action flicks. They're the best, even the bad ones. I recently enjoyed predator 2 for the first time in years.

The opening sequence is a gun fight between columbian drug lords whose faces are white with cocaine dust facing off against Danny Glover and his female hispanic partner with some lesser fat white cannon fodder cops. (The latina parter's gun has a lot of sweet rear end attachments) The two groups are constantly shooting at each other 20 yards apart behind their respective car barricades while Danny Glover has time to open his trunk and pick the perfect gun after considering a few that are "too small." Scenes like that just don't work anymore because everyone's been playing counterstrike for 20 years and knows how real gunfights happen.

Then everyone gets loving owned by a space monster and Gary Busey shows up. It rules.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

i dont think it would friend

That was a good action movie but I don't remember the details so I can't say for sure.

Dredd seems to really suffer from this problem where the difference between satire and outright fascism is razor thin.

I'm not sure if it's possible to have clever satire of fascism at all. So many people look past all subtext and just see bad rear end dudes in armor and go whole hog for authoritarian bootlicking.

poe's law is a thing, so you can only talk to the originators of the source material for the real story - and the 2000AD writers, both past and present, will quickly say that Dredd is first and foremost supposed to be fun, not a role model.

same basic thing with like Warhammer 40k. that universe is basically a far-right wet dream where you always have someone who's Wrong to shoot and you can place you unwavering faith in the biggest, strongest daddy that ever daddied ever, but if you bring up politics to any games workshop writer they will basically start laughing at you.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Reminder that he visited him this week, and upon walking out the building and being asked what he just did, responded with "I forgot."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Yinlock posted:

The part where the second she's left alone with the black dude they haul around in chains for the entire movie, he attempts to use her mind powers to rape her was.... interesting.

Like can anyone explain where the actual satire was?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Feminasty Slut posted:

Well ya see you got your coffee shitposts. Then you got your booze shitposts. Then over there you got your https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/746803108949409793

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Serf posted:

Robocop was one of the finest movies ever made.

The new Dredd owns but I didn't really take away a message that Dredd etc were especially the 'good guys'

• Locked thread