Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Chill la Chill posted:

I've only ever run my masterson's wet palette paper under hot water.

I tried this to no avail but I guess my water heater is set to not injure me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

I tried this to no avail but I guess my water heater is set to not injure me.

Then you're doing it wrong. Your hot water heater should be set to "Boil Baby."

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
For my wet pallette i use a flat lunchbox, a spongepad and baking paper. All this talk about boilung special paper has me curious but i've been doing pretty well with my homemade solution so far i feel.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ayn Marx posted:

I knew this was coming :v

I tried drilling a few barrels, but it ended up looking poo poo because I'm too dumb to properly drill in the center

You can just paint a single black dot. It doesn't look as good, but with some guns its necessary as the barrel is too small. (Galvanic Rifles, for example.)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Just get <0.5mm drill bits :shrug:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

Just get <0.5mm drill bits :shrug:

I have some. It's just not worth the effort. You can't see the barrels from that far up from the table, and i'm worried i'm going to split the gun.

I drill on characters and larger weapons. For tiny guns, a dot is fine. You can't tell from the tabletop.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Zuul the Cat posted:

You can't tell from the tabletop.
I can't decide whether your naivete is stunning or refreshing. I can feel undrilled barrels in my very bones from across the room.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ilor posted:

I can't decide whether your naivete is stunning or refreshing. I can feel undrilled barrels in my very bones from across the room.

On every single model? i get it on bolt guns for Space Marines. It makes sense, because the guns are like bricks and have a flat end, so the end of the barrel is quite obvious.

But on thinner guns, like the Galvanic Rifles for Skitarii Rangers or the Radium Carbines on the Vanguard?

I'm just pointing out that there are appropriate times to drill, and there are other times that you can get away with saying "gently caress that, a black dot will do." Especially if you don't have hands steady enough to drill out those tiny barrels or aren't confident enough to do them.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Meanwhile, on GW's official YouTube channel, there's undrilled barrels a-plenty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y2_cCOf_0M

Just sayin'.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Meanwhile, on GW's official YouTube channel, there's undrilled barrels a-plenty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y2_cCOf_0M

Just sayin'.

A scathing indictment.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
SRM - how did you get your BT transfer sheets? I'm getting to that point on most of my mans.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

A scathing indictment.

Eh. I view gun barrels as a case-by-case thing. I'll drill space marine and terminator barrels, but just boop a black dot onto board-game minis (which are usually a much softer plastic than whatever GW's styrene mix is, and also tend to be a lot smaller in scale). Really, it's whatever you're comfortable with.

Bistromatic, where did you get that lunchbox for your wet palette? I'm outgrowing my ancient P3 palette and was looking for something that might fit, say, a ShamWow. don't judge me

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

manchego posted:

SRM - how did you get your BT transfer sheets? I'm getting to that point on most of my mans.

Regular Space Marine transfer sheet has 10 Templar crosses on it. I've amassed a stupid number of these over the years and I'm finally using em. The rest is freehand or sculpted detail.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Zuul the Cat posted:

I have some. It's just not worth the effort. You can't see the barrels from that far up from the table, and i'm worried i'm going to split the gun.

I drill on characters and larger weapons. For tiny guns, a dot is fine. You can't tell from the tabletop.

Better done than perfect.

Paint those mans.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm so disheartened - I really took my time with this guy but it looks like absolute fried dogshit - I'm starting to think I need to realistically review 6mm or 10mm as my main scale because for better or worse I just can't paint like I used to.

1812 Russian Jaeger in Winter dress (Perry Miniatures)

For reference, this is where I used to be:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

A scathing indictment.

It gets better. Iconic model of iconic faction, official studio paintjob:

GrahamBLY
Aug 3, 2006
Better Luck Yesterday
I was at a friend's house not too long ago, and he had just bought a hand painted version of hero quest. It looked amazing and I have a copy from the good old days so I figured what the hell this could be a crazy little hobby.
I bought the Reaper bones learn to paint kit on amazon for $23 and got cracking. I painted the skeleton archer last night following the instructions, I think it took around two hours. My girlfriend asked me if I was having fun about ten times because I guess it looked very frustrating. I wouldn't say it was fun but there was a certain zen aspect to it. I can say that I've never put that much effort into something that looked not so good, but I've also never painted anything besides a wall before. I might post a picture tomorrow but if you google "Reaper learn to paint skeleton" you'll see an assortment of soggy looking bones that are a pretty good representation of what I have.
On to the question! The hero quest guys are hard and sort of shiny plastic not soft and pliable like the Bones guys, will they need any sort of special treatment or do I just start slapping on the paint? I read the OP on spray priming too but it's definitely too cold for that this week. I somehow have one extra hero quest guy so he will be the guinea pig after I paint the next two bones guys.
Wish me luck and thanks in advance for hq painting advice.. on to the big metal knight bone!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Southern Heel posted:

I'm so disheartened
You shouldn't be. That dude looks pretty dope.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Pierzak posted:

maybe the entire front bottom hole included is a cap that rotates as the barrels fire :v:

GrahamBLY posted:

I was at a friend's house not too long ago, and he had just bought a hand painted version of hero quest. It looked amazing and I have a copy from the good old days so I figured what the hell this could be a crazy little hobby.
I bought the Reaper bones learn to paint kit on amazon for $23 and got cracking. I painted the skeleton archer last night following the instructions, I think it took around two hours. My girlfriend asked me if I was having fun about ten times because I guess it looked very frustrating. I wouldn't say it was fun but there was a certain zen aspect to it. I can say that I've never put that much effort into something that looked not so good, but I've also never painted anything besides a wall before. I might post a picture tomorrow but if you google "Reaper learn to paint skeleton" you'll see an assortment of soggy looking bones that are a pretty good representation of what I have.
On to the question! The hero quest guys are hard and sort of shiny plastic not soft and pliable like the Bones guys, will they need any sort of special treatment or do I just start slapping on the paint? I read the OP on spray priming too but it's definitely too cold for that this week. I somehow have one extra hero quest guy so he will be the guinea pig after I paint the next two bones guys.
Wish me luck and thanks in advance for hq painting advice.. on to the big metal knight bone!

First off: Congrats on taking the plunge! I recommend making your painting area nice and cozy, since you're right that it can get frustrating-yet-zen at times. Priming is very helpful for saving on paint/making the paint stick/finding flash lines, but it's not a 100% must; just keep in mind that whatever paint you put on will have a tint acc. to the color of the plastic underneath unless you do multiple layers. Which is to say, if the miniature is white then you're going to have a hard time going for a black/purple/blood red color scheme :v:

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 10, 2017

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pierzak posted:

One of them Monday morning Dreadnought arms.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Crossposting from the Oath thread.

It was my first time needing to paint in parts and then finish assembly. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

There's still stuff I need to work on, mainly adding depth/highlighting to cloth.

Floppychop posted:

Oath Complete

Spring break this past week, I might not be able to go somewhere warm, but I least I have time to paint.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

mango sentinel posted:

One of them Monday morning Dreadnought arms.

I'm more agitated by the hole-dots on the underslung bolter not being aligned.

Oh man those Skaven are really great. But if you keep painting the cool models you'll never get to the 80 clan rats you need to finish a force... :)

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I have 50 of the fuckers done already. Just another 30 to go to finish what I have. I hate painting tons of nearly identical troops, so I'll probably procrastinate them for a while.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Batch painting? I'm prepping a flames of war 15mm US Airborne company

So many tiny mans!

even close up they look decent, considering the very few details i actually pick out on them!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

manchego posted:

SRM already answered how he got his transfers, but Forge World used to sell A4-sized sheets of Black Templars and Crimson Fists transfers. I don't know why they stopped selling them because I would love to get one.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Southern Heel posted:

I'm so disheartened - I really took my time with this guy but it looks like absolute fried dogshit - I'm starting to think I need to realistically review 6mm or 10mm as my main scale because for better or worse I just can't paint like I used to.

For reference, this is where I used to be:

I hear you. At one point, I placed top 10 in all Golden Daemon categories at one of the Games Days. Now I feel like I'm a monkey with a toilet brush mashing paint on my current project.

You're probably out of practice, as well as having dealt with another scale for so long. I do a lot of Epic and Warmaster stuff, and they are far more forgiving, so when you go back to 28mm, you feel like you're flailing. Just take a breath and relax and keep working on it.

Also, your Jaeger looks good, so don't be so hard on yourself.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Still working on cleaning them up and adding details, then it's on to basing! I wish the weather would warm up here in Michigan so I can prime my drones and weapons.

I'm almost done! :woop:

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
54mm Cypher model (a converted Inquisitor 54mm scale metal Artemis model).

I have never worked with GS on this scale before, or used plasticard at all before this project.
Or hobby chain.
Or wet blending (my poor attempt at it anyway, you can see it on the legs).
Or extreme edge highlighting to this degree.

Here's the gallery with my terrible photo-fu:
http://imgur.com/gallery/1eFRO

Note: I have cleaned up the spots on the cloak where the wash pooled, so that has been fixed since these pics were taken.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I need model recommendations.

I have a poo poo load of Dark Souls minis turning up and I want some models to practice painting armour on. Armour as in knight armour and ye olde platey mail. I have lots of models with cloth and so on, but surprisingly none with traditional armour.

Where can I pick up some boxes of angry men in platemail, chainmail, all sorts of male in mail. Kinda like the old Bretonnian models if they had less cloth going on.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I wish the weather would warm up here in Michigan so I can prime my drones and weapons.
Yeah, it's cold here, but that shouldn't stop you from priming. So long as both your primer and the thing you're priming are both room-temperature, you can take it outside, spray it, and bring it back in (or even leave it outside if it's sheltered). I had to prime some stuff for last month's oath and it was like 4 degrees outside when I did it. I had zero issues.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lethemonster posted:

I have a poo poo load of Dark Souls minis turning up and I want some models to practice painting armour on. Armour as in knight armour and ye olde platey mail. I have lots of models with cloth and so on, but surprisingly none with traditional armour.

Where can I pick up some boxes of angry men in platemail, chainmail, all sorts of male in mail. Kinda like the old Bretonnian models if they had less cloth going on.

Perry Miniatures has mounted men at arms, foot knights and agincourt foot knights with lots of plate and chain mail. Something like 35 foot guys or 12 horse guys for £20.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Electric Hobo posted:

Perry Miniatures has mounted men at arms, foot knights and agincourt foot knights with lots of plate and chain mail. Something like 35 foot guys or 12 horse guys for £20.
Seconding this. Historicals are your best bet for cheap decent minis and Perrys have generally excellent quality.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

GrahamBLY posted:

I use rustoleoum spray primer for outdoors. It bites really well into the plastic and I've sprayed well in places i would not consider using hobby grade primer (i clench my teeth when i say that when i see loving drat munchkins on the can).

See would soaking them in simple green or other cleaners that are kind on plastic. Those figures probably have such a high amount of release agent, it will probably still be there ten years in the future.

To add something else to the convo, i got a cheap ultrasonic cleaner and I wanted to strip a malifaux metal teddy which has a cast texture of the fur. It is like a metal file so it was instantly wearing down my spare tooth brushes after the first brush. Even though i always simple greened it, it would always have the old color deep in the file valleys.

I let it soak in simple green and put it in the ultrasonic (with diluted simple) and was amazed all the paint just being dissolved into wisps of colors.

Had to rewire the button which would only allow 1 minute of cleaning but i found out you really don't want to run it for more than a half hour else you will come back to a cleaner filled with hot pine smelling soup.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

EVIL Gibson posted:

I use rustoleoum spray primer for outdoors. It bites really well into the plastic and I've sprayed well in places i would not consider using hobby grade primer (i clench my teeth when i say that when i see loving drat munchkins on the can).

Armory primer is the worst loving poo poo. Every single can of their black I ever used came out fuzzy and awful. Their white was functional but thin. I use Krylon over them every time.

Lethemonster posted:

The Perry recommendations are good, you could also pick up some cheapo Reaper Bones figures of dudes in plate mail. They have tons of D&D types.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I have a ridiculous amount of Perry Miniatures on the way. These things look gorgeous and Im so excited to have loads of decent but inexpensive models to paint. I've been put off painting for ages by the fact the GW stuff has become so expensive and painting it badly seems like too costly a risk.

Welp, here's hoping that enthusiasm lasts until hundreds of Dark Souls models turn up.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Lethemonster posted:

Welp, here's hoping that enthusiasm lasts until hundreds of Dark Souls models turn up.

Oh man, I forgot I got those coming in as well...

I wish I could at least once in my life have more painted stuff then not. I'm a terrible hoarder, painting with one hand while selling some I will never paint with the other and still somehow the painted ratio never changes.

(Striping and repainting things I did 20 years ago sure doesn't help.)

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I just bought a Broadside and these guys:

I'm gonna craft'em up as a replacement for tetras. They're from a game called Warpath by Mantic. 30 bucks for the 4 of them too.

:dance:

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Oh man, I forgot I got those coming in as well...

I wish I could at least once in my life have more painted stuff then not. I'm a terrible hoarder, painting with one hand while selling some I will never paint with the other and still somehow the painted ratio never changes.

(Striping and repainting things I did 20 years ago sure doesn't help.)

I have over 10 boxes of everything on the way to paint and sell and omg what did we do

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

Ilor posted:

You shouldn't be. That dude looks pretty dope.

berzerkmonkey posted:

You're probably out of practice,

I decided to man up a bit and NOT chuck this guy back into the cupboard and ignore him. I made some obvious fixes and bases him and I'm happier, but I think I need to just push through some more man-dollies and see where I end up. I haven't painted anything 'real' in ages...

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I need to find pictures of my last roommate's Space Wolves army. His first model to paint was Logan Grimnar worth the whole sled and it came out loving incredible.

Might be lost forever though, his army was stolen as soon as he moved out. I'm quietly hoping to get him some of what he lost come his birthday/xmas.