Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Powershift posted:

I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it turns out that logan guy is actually wolverine from the comic books.

MODS????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KNEW

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InitialDave posted:

Garage has been broken into overnight. Welder and some socket sets stolen.

Luckily it's too messy for them to have had a proper dig in, but still annoying. They've properly trashed the door to get in, too - I have security deadbolts on it, and they've basically just ripped an entire section of door out to make a human-sized hole.

See how cooperative the insurance company feel like being when they open for me to call them.

EDIT: gently caress, they took my mountain bikes too. THAT annoys me.

Ugh, that sucks, hope the insurance is good to you.

I assume it is a garage somewhat remote from your house? Almost all garages around here are attached, and I imagine the noise they would make ripping a hole in it would wake me up. At least I hope it would.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

In the past few years, I've seen exactly one P71 still in active service. Watched it sneak up on someone and pop them for speeding.

Still a fair number of them around here in service, both marked and unmarked. I know the State Troopers still have a good number (one of them parked about 6 houses down from me until about 3 months ago, but he has an SUV now). More importantly everyone has lived with them as police cars for so drat long that it will take a while for people to not assume a Crown Vic is a cop. Now of course, it's mostly Ford Explorers and Tahoes depending on the department, and everyone is getting paranoid of SUV's behind them, although the Sheriff's department here has a lot of Chargers.

The sneaky ones are the random unmarked units that come in all colors and flavors like a maroon F-150 or a blue (with racing stripes) Ford Mustang here in my little town.

Powershift posted:

If you have an electric door with the manual release string hanging down, at the very least remove the handle off the string, if not the string entirely. it takes less than a minute with a coat hanger to poke through the gap at the top of the door and grab that handle.

Sounds like a weird design. A tilting one-piece door? Mine is on tracks which don't even begin to make the curve until above the door opening, so there is no crack above the door and the top of the door when fully closed is over 8" above the top of the opening on the tracks where they start to curve inside.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bolind posted:

gently caress, iDave, that sucks.
It happens. I don't live in the best area, but it takes some balls to do this out front in good lighting, in full view of a main road.

spog posted:

Did the police turn up?
No, but in fairness, I did say to them that there isn't much point in them doing so. I highly doubt there's a lot to be found in terms of evidence, and in the big scheme of things, they have other poo poo to deal with that can't be handled over the phone.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

That loving sucks about the garage. I'd feel violated, and that's a difficult thing to get over.
As I said, it's only the bikes that upsets me on that level. I'm mainly annoyed that the missing kit fucks up my plans for doing stuff at the weekend.

Tomarse posted:

I know how you feel (I had my shed broken into 5 years or so ago).
Luckily, the sheer messiness of the garage has prevented them taking too much. Oddly, they left behind a bright yellow hammer drill and orange cut-off saw, which I would have thought would attract them, but took other bits that are less "interesting" (a £10 recoil air hose for instance. WHY?).

I agree on the "welp, looks like that's missing too" issue on figuring out what's been pinched. Also, my insurers (Churchill) have been great to deal with so far, so hopefully it'll be a straightforward process.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Now I want to look up security reviews of my garage doors when I get home.
Probably not great unless they're specifically "security" ones of some kind. When I get my new one, it'll be getting some extra reinforcement from me, plus other security upgrades around the property.

spog posted:

i am sure that if Dave racks his memory carefully, he'll remember that he had a 3,000 piece Snap-on toolset in that garage as well, it's just that he can't find the receipt for it.

Powershift posted:

adding up the cost of the missing poo poo can be depressing, even when entirely honest. you don't realize you spend $5000 a year on tools until a year's worth of tools gets stolen.
Yeah, I'm at something like £2.5k already for the stolen stuff, plus the cost of replacing the door (I reckon a grand or so).

We'll see what happens. The entire situation is just an unnecessary irritation, frankly, but other than the aforementioned bikes, it's all just generic stuff that can be repurchased easily.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Holy if you have not seen Logan then get the gently caress out of the house and see it NOW

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm seeing it next Friday, and I can't wait!

Powershift posted:

I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it turns out that logan guy is actually wolverine from the comic books.
Seeing it Monday.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Locator posted:

Still a fair number of them around here in service, both marked and unmarked. I know the State Troopers still have a good number (one of them parked about 6 houses down from me until about 3 months ago, but he has an SUV now). More importantly everyone has lived with them as police cars for so drat long that it will take a while for people to not assume a Crown Vic is a cop. Now of course, it's mostly Ford Explorers and Tahoes depending on the department, and everyone is getting paranoid of SUV's behind them, although the Sheriff's department here has a lot of Chargers.

The sneaky ones are the random unmarked units that come in all colors and flavors like a maroon F-150 or a blue (with racing stripes) Ford Mustang here in my little town.

I've seen some staties driving them, but by and large, TX state troopers have moved to Tahoes.

Most of the cities have moved to a mix of Chargers, Explorers, and Tahoes, with a few of the Holden-based police interceptors. The city I'm in has all of the above; I've asked a few cops about them, and they all prefer the Tahoes. They say they have the best compromise of space and power, and tend to be reliable, with the Chargers being the least reliable.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Luckily, the sheer messiness of the garage has prevented them taking too much. Oddly, they left behind a bright yellow hammer drill and orange cut-off saw, which I would have thought would attract them, but took other bits that are less "interesting" (a £10 recoil air hose for instance. WHY?).

I agree on the "welp, looks like that's missing too" issue on figuring out what's been pinched. Also, my insurers (Churchill) have been great to deal with so far, so hopefully it'll be a straightforward process.

Yeah, I'm at something like £2.5k already for the stolen stuff, plus the cost of replacing the door (I reckon a grand or so).

Fortunately most thieves are dicks.

I came to use my LR hub nut spanner over Christmas and realised that it must have been in my stolen toolbox. 5 years later (though 5 years without doing a hub seal - gently caress yes!). I keep meaning to photograph all my garage poo poo sometime so that if it happens again it will be easier.

The Locator posted:

Ugh, that sucks, hope the insurance is good to you.

I assume it is a garage somewhat remote from your house? Almost all garages around here are attached, and I imagine the noise they would make ripping a hole in it would wake me up. At least I hope it would.

Don't count on it :(
I sleep with the window open and didn't wake up when someone smashed their way through the reinforced wooden door of my shed which was under 5M away

Dave - Can you extend your house alarm to cover the garage? Then set the zones up so you can have it on out there all the time even when you are at home. It wont stop them but it will either wake you up or your neighbours!

I am also finding that having one of those Chinese vehicle trackers fitted on a vehicle parked infront of the garage is a drat good alarm for anybody using my gates, walking past the vehicle or parking very close. I know you have a drive full of vehicles too..

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

They're not perfect but anyone who doesn't have security cameras up should look at the Arlo Pro. Completely wireless cameras, got mine setup in an hour and I get alerts on my phone when they sense motion.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Garage is built on the house, but as Tomarse says, you don't hear poo poo, not such that it'd alert you as being something suspicious rather than a lorry going past outside.

I'm planning to sort out a security setup for the garage, plus get CCTV done (well, redone, the kit I had was annoying to use, and so didn't get used. Need a proper recorder setup and multiple HD cameras.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 10, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Coredump posted:

They're not perfect but anyone who doesn't have security cameras up should look at the Arlo Pro. Completely wireless cameras, got mine setup in an hour and I get alerts on my phone when they sense motion.

I just looked these up and a set is nearly a grand. Anyone have suggestions for a setup with mixed wired and wireless cameras? I'm happy to install myself.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

InitialDave - sorry to hear man. It is total ball ache going through that nonsense and the worst part of it all is the feeling of violation.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

might as well toss some sausages on there while you're at it.

or a brisket.

or two...

I am gonna need a bigger boat smoker.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

cakesmith handyman posted:

I just looked these up and a set is nearly a grand. Anyone have suggestions for a setup with mixed wired and wireless cameras? I'm happy to install myself.

I got a set of two and the base station for $420. Flir by Lorex got some wireless cams and a dvr that's more traditional and pretty well regarded. We have a home automation and security thread somewhere around here.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I use Ubiquiti's DVR with these: https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-video/unifi-video-camera-g3/ and https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-video/unifi-video-camera-micro/
Both types of camera work well in low light and provide a good image quality. I have motion based recording setup and I can access the DVR from an app on my phone.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tomarse posted:

Fortunately most thieves are dicks.

I came to use my LR hub nut spanner over Christmas and realised that it must have been in my stolen toolbox. 5 years later (though 5 years without doing a hub seal - gently caress yes!). I keep meaning to photograph all my garage poo poo sometime so that if it happens again it will be easier.

Yeah, I have pics and serials where appropriate of all my high value stuff stashed in a cloud storage just in case. Figure it's easy back up in case of theft or fire.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My security system is a woman in her late 80s that lives next door to me and has a composition notebook for each house on the street with drat detailed records of our comings and goings. She's called the cops on theives a couple of times.

She's that neighbour.

E: Once a few months ago she called my boss to relay a message to me about a pile of ice at the end of the driveway and that I shouldn't just take a run at it like I normally do with plowbanks. I then came home to find out she'd spent two hours trying to remove the ice until other neighbours saw her and my entire driveway was shovelled and cleared.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 10, 2017

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Fermented Tinal posted:

My security system is a woman in her late 80s that lives next door to me and has a composition notebook for each house on the street with drat detailed records of our comings and goings. She's called the cops on theives a couple of times.

She's that neighbour.

E: Once a few months ago she called my boss to relay a message to me about a pile of ice at the end of the driveway and that I shouldn't just take a run at it like I normally do with plowbanks. I then came home to find out she'd spent two hours trying to remove the ice until other neighbours saw her and my entire driveway was shovelled and cleared.

My dad is starting to become that neighbor. He's only 66 but he already fills me in on the comings and goings of the next door neighbor.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Nothing like a morning call from your credit card company reminding you very politely that you missed a payment due 9 days ago! :smith: The mood is slammed further into the ground when you receive a letter from a credit counselor service that has a line that looks like this:

My finances are not a loving joke, Lutheran Social Services. I mean, kinda, in a way, they are, but it's a very serious joke about a very sad man.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

What do you guys call the State Police?

I grew up in MA, and they've always been "Staties". My wife grew up in Upstate NY, and they've been "Troopers" and when we first started dating, she though it was weird that I called them Staties. Now I'm wondering what other nicknames people have for their state police.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Well, North of the border it's a bit different. Some provinces have their own provincial forces, like here in Ontario our "state troopers" are the OPP and we call them OPP. In provinces without their own police force, the "state troopers" are the RCMP and they're well, Mounties.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

No fun nicknames? Also in Provinces with OPP, do you get OPP (yeah you know me) and Mounties?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The Ohio Highway Patrol is the state police, and they're formally called "troopers", and informally called "staties".

E: Very informally called "flying tire salesmen":

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 10, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

scuz posted:

Nothing like a morning call from your credit card company reminding you very politely that you missed a payment due 9 days ago! :smith: The mood is slammed further into the ground when you receive a letter from a credit counselor service that has a line that looks like this:

My finances are not a loving joke, Lutheran Social Services. I mean, kinda, in a way, they are, but it's a very serious joke about a very sad man.

make a new thread in bfc

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Friend of mine called them "the feds" until I corrected him so now he calls em "little feds." :shrug:

BraveUlysses posted:

make a new thread in bfc
:smith: fine. Better to be embarrassed/shamed on the internet instead of in debtor's jail.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

beep-beep car is go posted:

No fun nicknames? Also in Provinces with OPP, do you get OPP (yeah you know me) and Mounties?

Well, only Ontario has the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police if it wasn't obvious), not sure what the other provincial forces are called. We do have RCMP, but basically they fill roles like border protection and federal-level policing here. In say, one of the territories, they will fill almost every role from municipal parking enforcment all the way up to fed.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

In say, one of the territories, they will fill almost every role from municipal parking enforcement all the way up to fed.

No local dudes? Interesting!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

No local dudes? Interesting!

Larger municipalities tend to have their own police too, so some places have local yokels. We have our own municipal force, while the other nearby large towns either rely on OPP or our cops depending on contract.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

scuz posted:

Friend of mine called them "the feds" until I corrected him so now he calls em "little feds." :shrug:

:smith: fine. Better to be embarrassed/shamed on the internet instead of in debtor's jail.

if you don't use YNAB for your spending you might try using a spreadsheet for forecasting your income and known expenses (with due dates) so that this kind of thing doesn't sneak up on you. i own YNAB and just can't deal with the tedium of tracking where every single penny goes but forecasting has worked well for me.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I've been using Mint and am finding the support for Canadian stuff to be really lacking.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I grew up in MA, and they've always been "Staties". My wife grew up in Upstate NY, and they've been "Troopers" and when we first started dating, she though it was weird that I called them Staties. Now I'm wondering what other nicknames people have for their state police.

They've always been DPS here (Department of Public Safety) and everyone just called them "DPS Officers" but last year they decided that they no longer wanted to be DPS and now want to be called "State Troopers" even though the agency is still DPS.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

if you don't use YNAB for your spending you might try using a spreadsheet for forecasting your income and known expenses (with due dates) so that this kind of thing doesn't sneak up on you. i own YNAB and just can't deal with the tedium of tracking where every single penny goes but forecasting has worked well for me.
Budgeting is so loving boring and my ADD is so loving bad that I get distracted the moment I sit down to do anything productive. My plan now is to go through the last three months of bank statements and figure things out. I'll probably do the goddamn spending jar bullshit that a 7th grader would use to budget their allowance/summer job income because I'm so stupid with this poo poo. I'm also pissed that my credit card interest is loving huge and that SoFi rejected me :classiclol:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This all reminds me I need to get DVR systems for the house and hangar.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Safety Dance posted:

Whee, I just landed in New York for an interview tomorrow! Wish me luck!

(Then cheer me up because, ughhhhhhhhhh Manhattan.)

The interview went ok! I wrote a lot of code on whiteboards using dying markers, and they gave me a coffee mug as a lovely parting gift. I'll know how I did next week.

Also, this fuckin' egg roll is the size of a burrito.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

monsterzero posted:

Dishwashers are the worst. I feel like everyone I know replaced a 20-year old washer and are now on their second new one in three years.
Did dishwashers cost a months salary in the early 90s or something?

Enourmo posted:

I think it's just that classic answer of "Back then things were overbuilt to ensure they'd last through the warranty, these days we're much better at engineering exact lifetimes".

I suspect it was a little of both. The one we replaced was not original to the house, but it was close. It still worked but the racks were rusting through and would have cost 90% of a new dishwasher to replace, and the door seal was rock hard. I'm still amazed it never leaked.

The new one is/was much nicer. I never thought the old one was loud, but the new one you can barely hear running until you're right on top of it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I missed a payment of $10.83 on my Amazon Store card a few months ago. They charged me $20 and reported me as delinquent. My credit score dropped 40 points.

I promptly had them reverse the late fee, paid them, then cancelled that card because gently caress you.

That was the first payment I've missed on *anything* in over a decade.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

scuz posted:

Budgeting is so loving boring and my ADD is so loving bad that I get distracted the moment I sit down to do anything productive. My plan now is to go through the last three months of bank statements and figure things out. I'll probably do the goddamn spending jar bullshit that a 7th grader would use to budget their allowance/summer job income because I'm so stupid with this poo poo. I'm also pissed that my credit card interest is loving huge and that SoFi rejected me :classiclol:

Yes while that does seem adolescent to do it beats being broke. Find a system that works for you and then work the hell out of that system.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The state police here are refered to as "highway patrol" or "those loving assholes". Both are equally appropriate.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Door Frame posted:

She said it had 235/55R17's, which sound really thinskinny to me, but I'm too lazy to actually check. She talked to a taxi company that was phasing out their old Vics, looking for a cheap tire/wheel to replace her old one, but they only had 16" wheels. It's apparently cops and whatever "heavy duty" means in this context:

235/55-17 is the stock size for 17"
225/60-16 is stock for 16"

Both of those are civilian or service models.
2008 service model only got the 17s. Civilian could have either.

Mine had 235/60-16s on it, and they looked too big for the wheels. They're only 7" wide. The 225/60-16 on the OEM full sized spare looks fine.
I agree that they're too skinny, but they are right for the wheel width. Part of the reason I went up to 18x8. Looks like I could go to 10" at least in the rear, easily.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Garage theft chat: yeah, it sucks. In my case, I think it was someone associated with a (now former) housemate. The didn't break anything, so they had access to the garage, and they only took stuff that was under shelves and counters, not the obvious stuff on the pegboard or on top of my workbenches. So I lost my circular saw, jigsaw, and reciprocating saw (Milwaukee that used to belong to my late uncle, drat it), a transmission jack, my second full socket set for taking to the junkyard and roadside/friend repairs, and other stuff that was generally stored out of sight. Meaning they also had time to rummage around. I think the total came out to around $1500, so not as bad as it could have been. I've replaced it all - this was several years ago. I'm sure it all ended up in a pawn shop, but they apparently had enough sense to not use one close by. I checked.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Thankfully a TV show gave us a nationally recognized nickname for CHP.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
It's just the Montana Highway Patrol here and I think most people just call them Highway Patrol--I haven't heard any clever nicknames or anything for them.

For theft chat: I had my car broken into several years ago and they stole my little netbook and a couple CDs. Cops apparently found the idiot driving around with a lot of stolen property, including my laptop, in a stolen truck within a couple days but it took them nearly six months to get my laptop back because "my encryption was so strong"--it was running Windows 7 and they had physical access to the machine :raise:. My bet is they were either lazy or were looking at my porn (or both).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

Thankfully a TV show gave us a nationally recognized nickname for CHP.

Chaps?

• Locked thread