Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I really enjoyed that even with all of Debbie's crazy, she saw through Cirie like she was made of glass.

Same with Cirie seeing through Tai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

To be fair Tai was doing everything he possibly could to tell her without telling her.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Fast Luck posted:

To be fair Tai was doing everything he possibly could to tell her without telling her.

Hmm, I didn't get that impression at all. But I don't think we got to see very much of the overall workings of blue tribe so the alignments there might be way lost on me.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I've seen every episode of this show and I still barely remember a few of the contestants. Imagine someone coming in blind as a prospective new fan having no clue of the backstory but being expected to know it, and not even consistently getting a name card for each character when they're shown.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Poque posted:

Hmm, I didn't get that impression at all. But I don't think we got to see very much of the overall workings of blue tribe so the alignments there might be way lost on me.
Iirc their conversation was preceded by a confessional of Tai saying he liked Cirie. But whether it was intentional or not, even before he admitted the "vibes" were against her, she asked if she was okay and he kinda went uhhh and stared at his feet literally not answering, which is pretty much a giant flashing :siren:, I don't know how any player would miss it

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

I've seen every episode of this show and I still barely remember a few of the contestants. Imagine someone coming in blind as a prospective new fan having no clue of the backstory but being expected to know it, and not even consistently getting a name card for each character when they're shown.

its season 36. How many new viewers could there be, I wonder?

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Ozzy holding a grudge against Cririe for Fans vs Faves is amazingly petty.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

DutchDupe posted:

Ozzy holding a grudge against Cririe for Fans vs Faves is amazingly petty.

Ozzy's a douche, but only in retrospect, somehow. I enjoy watching him but I don't like what I saw afterwards.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

blue squares posted:

its season 36. How many new viewers could there be, I wonder?

Millennials vs Gen X brought in at least some new viewers, just due to the theme. It was the first season that one of my coworkers watched, and he's now watching this season too.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Can we all appreciate how Brad Culpepper got like, zero confessionals.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Max posted:

Can we all appreciate how Brad Culpepper got like, zero confessionals.

he got one with his own dumb hashtag in the first hour. but otherwise, shockingly low visibility for one of Jeff's random favorites.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Watching Malcolm's favorite moments from Survivor, it's clear he HATES Skupin.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

What's the go-to place for non-Americans to see secret scenes?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Kaoh Rong 1st time watchthrough: lol this motherfucker got pulled from the game and took an idol with him instead of giving it to his buddy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ozzy's a petty douche but there's absolutely nothing wrong with him not trusting Cirie. Cirie admitted as much. Ozzy may be motivated too much by petty revenge or something but the thought process is the right one. A player with a legendary reputation for manipulating people screwed you over so you don't want to trust them again.

I love Cirie so I'm not hating on her. She's just in a really difficult spot because her rep precedes her. The only way you can really combat that is to go against type and convince players you're different (at least until you see an opening for a bigger play) That's tough but if you act the exact way everyone expects you to then you're just reinforcing that reputation. That's part of what Tony did. That's part of what Ciera did. Cirie has to stop scrambling and send a different impression before it's too late.

Or, you know, it's early so someone could gently caress up big or there could be a swap and that could kick her out of the spotlight.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Max posted:

In hindsight, that's a very valid position to have.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

In hindsight, that's a very valid position to have.

Oh for sure. It's just funny when he lists "Skupin falling in the fire" and "Skupin getting hit in the head with a coconut" as some of his favorite moments.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Was Skupin in hot water by the time they all went out to Fiji?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Propaganda Machine posted:

Was Skupin in hot water by the time they all went out to Fiji?

Wiki says he was arrested in Feb 2016, so yeah

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Max posted:

That's the bare minimum for being human

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

STAC Goat posted:

Ozzy's a petty douche but there's absolutely nothing wrong with him not trusting Cirie. Cirie admitted as much. Ozzy may be motivated too much by petty revenge or something but the thought process is the right one. A player with a legendary reputation for manipulating people screwed you over so you don't want to trust them again.

I love Cirie so I'm not hating on her. She's just in a really difficult spot because her rep precedes her. The only way you can really combat that is to go against type and convince players you're different (at least until you see an opening for a bigger play) That's tough but if you act the exact way everyone expects you to then you're just reinforcing that reputation. That's part of what Tony did. That's part of what Ciera did. Cirie has to stop scrambling and send a different impression before it's too late.

Or, you know, it's early so someone could gently caress up big or there could be a swap and that could kick her out of the spotlight.

Ozzy says in the episode "The thing with me and Cirie, it really wasn't anything because she just went along with what my alliance decided to do, so I can't hold that against her." That doesn't really sound too bad to me, I don't get why people are holding that against him.

Also, getting personal revenge on people who voted you out is a tale as old as Survivor time. Jerri really wanted to vote out Boston Rob in All-Stars. Kass really wanted to vote out Woo in Seocnd Chance. Rob C has talked about how he wanted the satisfaction of voting out Jenna in All-Stars. What's being human without being at least a little petty.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It seems pretty normal to not trust the person that voted you out of another season in the past. It's not petty, it's just common sense that they probably aren't someone you want to ally with again.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm also not totally sure "I know I voted you out last time, are we good?" is the best way to make it good. Maybe "It's really nice to see a familiar face here, you'd better believe I'm planning to work closely with you!"

I'm honestly not sure but I do think the latter works better

Fallen One
May 1, 2007

" Whoa! Death? He's come for me!... Death is sleeping too..."

Fast Luck posted:

I'm also not totally sure "I know I voted you out last time, are we good?" is the best way to make it good. Maybe "It's really nice to see a familiar face here, you'd better believe I'm planning to work closely with you!"

I'm honestly not sure but I do think the latter works better

And Cirie is a big enough threat that she probably should want to work with alpha males who could shield her a while. If she joins lesser players like, say, Sierra, Sarah, Troyzan and Caleb is there any way she isn't first out of that group?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Bigass Moth posted:

Westeros ain't got poo poo on Survivor's convoluted history.

I tend to skip the all-newbie seasons these days, so I'm neither a novice nor a constant viewer.

I just remember Sandra as the one who somehow beat Pavarti (Robbed! To this day!) way back in the day. Always thought she was over-rated, but every episode she survives just increases her legend.

Tony and Sierra playing themselves out of the game is a perfect start.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Not overly enthused about the first episode, I found myself occasionally just putting it on "background tab" on PC and doing other stuff simultaneously. It's just extremely uninteresting to put guys like Tai or Caleb back in the game right away, and I really would prefer to spend my free time doing something other than watching Cirie year after year.

I don't recall watching the season that Tony won. How did that happen anyway? I mean really, there were like five people or something who felt that this guy should have million dollars? Please clarify :cheerdoge:

Also, how am I supposed to tell Malcolm and Ozzy apart? Ozzy has some slight curl in his hair that Malcolm doesn't? Maybe I'll just need to learn their island clothes.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 12, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bolivar posted:

Not overly enthused about the first episode, I found myself occasionally just putting it on "background tab" on PC and doing other stuff simultaneously. It's just extremely uninteresting to put guys like Tai or Caleb back in the game right away, and I really would prefer to spend my free time doing something other than watching Cirie year after year.

I don't recall watching the season that Tony won. How did that happen anyway? I mean really, there were like five people or something who felt that this guy should have million dollars? Please clarify :cheerdoge:

Cagayan is the season you're thinking of. What happened was that Tony made it to F3 with two other people, Kass and Woo (both of whom appeared in Second Chances). Woo (who had done very actual little in the game) had the deciding vote on who to take to F2: his ally Tony, or the easy win with Kass. He picked Tony.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Cagayan is the season you're thinking of. What happened was that Tony made it to F3 with two other people, Kass and Woo (both of whom appeared in Second Chances). Woo (who had done very actual little in the game) had the deciding vote on who to take to F2: his ally Tony, or the easy win with Kass. He picked Tony.

Oh ok, missed that season entirely. Which is probably for the best, seeing how Kass is clearly the worst human being of all time among the cast history.
I've seen this ending referred to a bunch of times in later seasons, for sure. Always refreshing when some one doesn't just "play the game", but oh man Woo.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It was a final 2 against Woo. He definitely deserved to win under the circumstances but Woo completely blew it.

Tony's ugliest play was having a special idol (playable after votes are read) and lying at Tribal about it being playable at the final 4. Jeff agreed it was a special idol but would not comment on the lie. "Jeff did a great job of not jeopardizing my game. He just went along with it."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bolivar posted:

Oh ok, missed that season entirely. Which is probably for the best, seeing how Kass is clearly the worst human being of all time among the cast history.
I've seen this ending referred to a bunch of times in later seasons, for sure. Always refreshing when some one doesn't just "play the game", but oh man Woo.

To re-iterate the mistake, Tony won 8-1 against Woo. Probst polled the jury at the reunion how the vote would have went if it was Woo and Kass in the F2. Woo would have won 8-1.

Tony had admittedly way too much power in the game, with his special idol (that could be played after votes were read), but he did still use it intelligently; we've seen advantages that have been squandered in the past (extra votes have never been used correctly, for instance).

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Tony had admittedly way too much power in the game, with his special idol (that could be played after votes were read), but he did still use it intelligently; we've seen advantages that have been squandered in the past (extra votes have never been used correctly, for instance).

Ok now the whole scene with "I'm off to find an idol, WOOWOOWOOWOO" sounds funnier :D I was happy to see Ciera gone right away before she can ruin the season, but Tony could have stayed a bit longer for sure...

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Bolivar posted:

this is really unfair to kass when colton still exists.

also cagayan is a very good season.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tony winning is one of my favorite what if's, where if somehow Tony had won final immunity, I think Woo actually had a shot at winning the whole thing (provided Tony didn't drop kick him on to the Jury.) I think everyone saw it as someone's unambiguous chance to finally get rid of Tony, and he didn't take the shot because he'd rather sit next to someone that deserved to make it to the end, in his own words. Kass immediately saying Woo would have beat her in her exit confessional was pretty indicative of what was going to happen.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My favourite 'what if' would actually have been if David hadn't played his idol for Jessica last season, just because of all the potential ramifications that could have happened afterwards.

Come to think of it, there's never been a rock draw before the merge, right? If someone gets eliminated by rock draw when there are still separate tribes, does Probst still goes 'X voted out last tribal council' when the tribes meet for the challenge?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

ApplesandOranges posted:

My favourite 'what if' would actually have been if David hadn't played his idol for Jessica last season, just because of all the potential ramifications that could have happened afterwards.

Come to think of it, there's never been a rock draw before the merge, right? If someone gets eliminated by rock draw when there are still separate tribes, does Probst still goes 'X voted out last tribal council' when the tribes meet for the challenge?

Probably "X Drew a rock." But there is no way in my mind that people's loyalties would be that solid pre-merge to force a rock draw.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I bet Jeff wouldn't reference the Rock Draw. You aren't supposed to know what happens on the other tribes. You know what the others tell you during swaps or merges.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Bolivar posted:

Also, how am I supposed to tell Malcolm and Ozzy apart? Ozzy has some slight curl in his hair that Malcolm doesn't? Maybe I'll just need to learn their island clothes.

Are you colour blind? Ozzy's hair is way darker than Malcolm's

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Haha, rewatching the first episode, Ciera's "I don't want to be the first person voted out" line is even better.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

Are you colour blind? Ozzy's hair is way darker than Malcolm's

No, they both have nice green hair :regd09:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Max posted:

Haha, rewatching the first episode, Ciera's "I don't want to be the first person voted out" line is even better.

Everyone said it in a confessional. They used hers because she got voted out.

Except Malcolm. No way in a thousand games of this cast would he go home first.

• Locked thread