Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
dredd, the movie that opens with a mall shooting where multiple people die and they just get out the blood zamboni and corpse wagon and announce over the speakers that they're sorry for the inconvenience but the mall will be reopening five minutes after the shooting stops?

yeah i dont get how thats satire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

punchymcpunch posted:

its satire so black that it never breaks character. youre sposed to work out on your own that dredd is a monster from the way he acts - he frequently does stuff that's needlessly cruel, like when he shoots that thing in the guy's mouth or when he drugs up whats her name before he throws her off the thing. theres a reason he never shows his face - because hes a slasher villain monster man.

Alt satire

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

FactsAreUseless posted:

IDK that there's evidence this kind of thing happens. Megachurches are still a minority of American churches, and most church donations go to keeping the church up and running various programs. Obviously there's issues with church-based charity, but it's not a cover for crime.

Evangelicalism has had a large scam component since at least the 80s which renders the actual crime part redundant. People are already legally giving you their money, why risk that with something that can get you arrested?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

paranoid randroid posted:

Jesus is coming, and he looks pissed

"he must be here to kill the gays and mexicans"

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

America elected Donald Trump president. He wants to declare war on Chicago. Those aren't obviously satirical phrases in 2017

What if Chicago wins?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

orange sky posted:

Well I knew Brazil had this kind of stuff but I had no idea there was such an enterprise in the US as well, I thought it was all kind of regular same old churchgoing.

This reinforces my idea that the best way to launder money is through churches, in these kinds of organizations a couple million dollars that you want to launder is just a blip

gently caress, Walter White, you're dumb af, a car wash?

depends on the church. ironically one of the ways prohibition era money got busted in kansas and further south is that gangsters would set up small, lovely churches (since becoming a baptist minister in the USA is literally a matter of walking down to city hall and filling out 4 pages of forms) and then try to launder lots of money through it as 'donations' to that church.

turns out bible belt states tend to get kinda pissy if you use jesus as a shield TOO obviously, you need to be sufficiently subversively evil about it to gain acceptance.

i have zero doubt that fuckers like creflo dollar have taken lots of mob money over the years to quietly sluice it back in a 'clean' way though. his rates are higher than just making your own church over the weekend, i'm sure.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 10, 2017

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

TRUMP

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

do a compare and contrast with dredd vs stallone's judge dredd and youll see that one is satire and one is a standard fascist action movie

or read a textbook about judge dredd

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

mormonpartyboat posted:

dredd, the movie that opens with a mall shooting where multiple people die and they just get out the blood zamboni and corpse wagon and announce over the speakers that they're sorry for the inconvenience but the mall will be reopening five minutes after the shooting stops?

yeah i dont get how thats satire

okay that's an actual example of satire and I will drop it until I at least watch the movie again because it sounds hilarious

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

yes create more job openings in the federal government that currently is so desperate to fill them that they're hiring worldnetdaily editors and 19 year olds.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Dredd made me wish slo-mo was real. I'd use it to do baller quake speed runs.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

a.lo posted:

Can I stay in your condo for 4 days

if you provide me with fresh orphan blood, we can make a deal

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

punchymcpunch posted:

do a compare and contrast with dredd vs stallone's judge dredd and youll see that one is satire and one is a standard fascist action movie

or read a textbook about judge dredd

stalone dredd is the fascist action movie, but stalone demolition man is loving art

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Can I just say I'm really mad that Tucker Carlson's show has been such a success because all he does is book the world's worst straw liberals, stare at them slackjawed for 10 minutes, and then kick them off the show

I mean poo poo why don't I do that

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

zegermans posted:

yes create more job openings in the federal government that currently is so desperate to fill them that they're hiring worldnetdaily editors and 19 year olds.

Government...just...doesn't....work

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Rah! posted:

if you provide me with fresh orphan blood, we can make a deal

I'm poor. Not a monster

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Feminasty Slut posted:

Dredd made me wish slo-mo was real. I'd use it to do baller quake speed runs.

Man Dies From Slo-Mo Overdose Trying To Break Ocarina Of Time Speedrun World Record

"In His Defense, It Was A loving Sick Run" Says Investigator

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

a.lo posted:

I'm poor. Not a monster

this is america so :lol:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Hodgepodge posted:

okay that's an actual example of satire and I will drop it until I at least watch the movie again because it sounds hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKeWMykgEio&t=438s

i remembered wrong, it was 30 minutes :(

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

demolition man owns and in my opinion its a satire

benjamin bratt is in it and i think he eats a rat

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

America elected Donald Trump president. He wants to declare war on Chicago. Those aren't obviously satirical phrases in 2017

as far as i can tell, there is a significant block of Trump voters who thought his campaign was satire

and Vermin Supreme still can't get elected smdh

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

punchymcpunch posted:

sandra bullock mmmmm

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Gringostar posted:

stalone dredd is the fascist action movie, but stalone demolition man is loving art

stalone demolition man literally has the lady love interest named "lenina huxley", and i know people who read and loved brave new world and still didn't get that demolition man had its tongue firmly in cheek the entire time.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

punchymcpunch posted:

he sings about hotdogs

stalone eats the rat

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Looks like someone got too close to the piss tape and got pissed on

https://twitter.com/grynbaum/status/840241710223544320

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah churches absolutely hide some super illegal poo poo. Pat Robertson used his TV parishioners to raise money and used that to fund a blood diamond mine in Liberia I think. The only reason he isn't in jail is because he is a good ol'boy and they wouldn't bring charges against him.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Tainen posted:

Looks like someone got too close to the piss tape and got pissed on

https://twitter.com/grynbaum/status/840241710223544320

we further note that diplomatic immunity does not extend to poison

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

blocked in my frozen backwards igloo country :argh:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Hodgepodge posted:

So no takers on how the Dredd movie was satirical?

Like, if it was a poo poo film ideologically but a good action flick, that's okay. That's at least half of all action flicks :shrug:

judge dredd literally tortures a dude underneath an American flag

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

a.lo posted:

I'm poor. Not a monster

i think you mean "I'm lazy. Not a job creator"

:smug:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Hodgepodge posted:

blocked in my frozen backwards igloo country :argh:

:rip:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

a.lo posted:

I'm poor. Not a monster

We will all be both in the irradiated wasteland

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Feminasty Slut posted:

Well ya see you got your coffee shitposts. Then you got your booze shitposts. Then over there you got your gently caress everything smoke weed everyday hail satan screaming into the abyss nihilism.

:coffeepal:

Lmao

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
americans: "uhh we love this bad thing.. haha this bad thing is so great"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Fullhouse posted:

judge dredd literally tortures a dude underneath an American flag

these examples of actual satire warm my cold canadian heart

Serf
May 5, 2011

geez now i wanna watch starship troopers again

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Real life nihilism update.

Some missionaries just knocked on my door asking me if I'd like to know about the kingdom of god. I told them to come back and talk to me after they stop electing moron presidents. :thurman:

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
even as a child i knew there was no way taco bell would win the franchise wars that part was just completely ridiculous

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
someone post that judge dredd thing about ending yet another cycle of violence some idiot posted on these very forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Dredd seems to really suffer from this problem where the difference between satire and outright fascism is razor thin.

I'm not sure if it's possible to have clever satire of fascism at all. So many people look past all subtext and just see bad rear end dudes in armor and go whole hog for authoritarian bootlicking.

Yep that's Dredd. It's nearly flawless as far as satire goes.

• Locked thread