Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Palpek posted:

All 3 Quakes had amazing multiplayer but for different reasons. Q1 was the most brutal one imo.

Quakeworld/q1 has absolutely insane movement. The players were really good back then but it was still a really tiny community, would've been fun to see just how crazy the game would've gotten with a larger playerbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Klaus Kinski posted:

Quakeworld/q1 has absolutely insane movement. The players were really good back then but it was still a really tiny community, would've been fun to see just how crazy the game would've gotten with a larger playerbase.

Basically Quake 3 match videos.
Some of those rocket predictions in the really large maps are pure wonder.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

This is a huge one. They're still not letting characters start with the full punch/kick combos, but now they all have a limited number of special moves they start with that are all meant to highlight their character specialties. The wrestler has a piledriver, the luchador has an aerial move, etc. The milk run quest is the dumbest poo poo in the game and now it's 1/3rd as obnoxious, characters no longer have grapple positions that are useless to them.... There's still some bugs, including the pretty major online save bug they've been working on fixing since launch, but we're reaaaally close to where I can say "They fixed the game".

What does the boxer start with now because I loved playing as him but did not love his bottom-rung pitiful starting moveset. Do we now get info on what items and foods do what as well? Terrible starting movesets and deliberately obtuse items were what soured me but if those get fixed up enough I'll dive back in

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Can anyone recommend any real good Nier (1) LPs? I never finished it and I'm not sure I got very far (I found Emil I think?) and I'm not going to find my 360 to play it again but want to go into Nier 2 prepared.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

suuma posted:

Can anyone recommend any real good Nier (1) LPs? I never finished it and I'm not sure I got very far (I found Emil I think?) and I'm not going to find my 360 to play it again but want to go into Nier 2 prepared.

Darkid's let's play of nier was pretty good
https://lparchive.org/NIER/

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Sweet, thanks!

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

VideoGames posted:

Basically Quake 3 match videos.
Some of those rocket predictions in the really large maps are pure wonder.

I don't think you played qw if you think q3 movement is in any way comparable.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Klaus Kinski posted:

I don't think you played qw if you think q3 movement is in any way comparable.

I played a lot of Q1 when I was younger.
Each iteration Q1 > Q2 > Q3 felt like an upgrade and evolution of the original deathmatching abilities.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

suuma posted:

Sweet, thanks!

Darkid's lps are pretty good, but in case you want a video lp, I liked super best friends Nier lp

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

VideoGames posted:

I played a lot of Q1 when I was younger.
Each iteration Q1 > Q2 > Q3 felt like an upgrade and evolution of the original deathmatching abilities.

With Quake 4 being the absolute zenith, natch.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't agree that consecutive Quakes felt like evolution, it's more like those games branched out. There's a reason why Quakeworld was still its own thing long after Q3's release, it just played differently imo. It's a faster game where you had to balance how much damage you can do to yourself in order to get a mobility edge over others.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mordja posted:

With Quake 4 being the absolute zenith, natch.

What's Quake 4?

EDIT: I only ever played Quake 1 with a keyboard. This was back in my Doom and Wolf3D days. Quake 2 was my first mouse FPS. This might have affected how I felt about the evolution, but the changes definitely felt as though they contributed to the growth of the genre.

VideoGames fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 10, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I played the poo poo out of Q3 Arena first on Dreamcast and then properly on PC. I remember looking at previews for it in Game Informer and thinking "how can graphics get any better than this." Despite all odds graphics have found a way to get better since then but I was totally blown away at the time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I laugh at how I use to think playing Quake 2 with a mouse was odd to me. Quake, Command & Conquer: Red Alert, and Warcraft II were my first multiplayer games.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

quake 4 is a very very bad game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is that new Quake in development too, but it's an arena shooter. I want a new single player remake of Quake and I want Trent Reznor to do the soundtrack again.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

exquisite tea posted:

I played the poo poo out of Q3 Arena first on Dreamcast and then properly on PC. I remember looking at previews for it in Game Informer and thinking "how can graphics get any better than this." Despite all odds graphics have found a way to get better since then but I was totally blown away at the time.
Everybody list your game-graphics shock moments:

Doom 2 (at the time second 3D game I've ever seen after Wolfenstein 3D)
Quake 2 (woah you can't see pixels, how is this possible)
GTA 3 (oh my god, you can run in any direction in a giant 3D city with no loading screens, what?)
Burnout 3 Takedown (I told my cousin that this is how real-life cars look and it will be hard to get better than this)
Oblivion (the classic out-of-the-cave moment many people had)
LA Noire (facial animations)
Battlefront (I was actually shocked how much this game literally looked like Star Wars movies at all times)
Uncharted 4 would be the latest one where I really felt a jump in quality in comparison to other games

There were probably a few others that I forgot.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

happy mario day to all, wahoo

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Palpek posted:

GTA 3 (oh my god, you can run in any direction in a giant 3D city with no loading screens, what?)
Burnout 3 Takedown (I told my cousin that this is how real-life cars look and it will be hard to get better than this)
Battlefront (I was actually shocked how much this game literally looked like Star Wars movies at all times)
Uncharted 4 would be the latest one where I really felt a jump in quality in comparison to other games

For me, it's Half Life 2. I've only ever really been a PC gamer, but it's the first game I associate with "Next Gen" graphics, even though I'm sure Doom 3 was more advanced technically. While yes, a lot of the game's visuals have aged, they've done it relatively gracefully and I can always go back to it without thinking it looks primitive.

I've got similar feelings for STALKER, although that's 100% because of the environment, atmosphere and lighting.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

happy mario day to all, wahoo

What's mario about it

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Help Im Alive posted:

What's mario about it

Mar 10

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

wake me up when warch 10th rolls around

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I remember being impressed by the scale of Fallout 3 when you step out of the Vault.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Palpek posted:

When my neighbor down the street got a dream cast and I still had a SNES and he showed me ready 2 rumble boxing and I poo poo my pants.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Mario 64 was probably the biggest :aaa: moment for me: Giant 3d levels that you could freely explore with a camera that you could move and look around with blew lil' me's mind. gently caress around on a stage exploring every little nook and cranny and eventually you'd even find a star! I can't think of any other game that fascinated me that way just by being in 3d.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I remember showing Final Fantasy VII summons to my friends, "Check this out! The future is now!"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Choco/Mog was the funniest goddamn thing to 9 year old me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Scrublord Prime posted:

Mario 64 was probably the biggest :aaa: moment for me: Giant 3d levels that you could freely explore with a camera that you could move and look around with blew lil' me's mind. gently caress around on a stage exploring every little nook and cranny and eventually you'd even find a star! I can't think of any other game that fascinated me that way just by being in 3d.

Yeah, Super Mario 64 was huge for me, as was Ocarina of Time. After that I don't know if I ever had any graphics :aaaaa: moments after that until maybe The Witcher 2, where I found the environments to be really, really impressive. And then again in The Witcher 3, then Uncharted 4, and I've had some times in Horizon where I just stop and go, "God drat."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Seeing the giant bullet bills in screenshots of Super Mario World in magazines.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

realizing that yes, i COULD marry shadow the hedgehog

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I do remember thinking "It's never going to get better than this" while playing Oblivion.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

MinibarMatchman posted:

What does the boxer start with now because I loved playing as him but did not love his bottom-rung pitiful starting moveset. Do we now get info on what items and foods do what as well? Terrible starting movesets and deliberately obtuse items were what soured me but if those get fixed up enough I'll dive back in

I would guess that the boxer comes with the rushing punch, which is the neutral special move. Adds a lot of mobility and feels nice, but I'm still not happy about the combo chain being mostly guesswork. I think that some of the move commands are mislabeled, too, with some commands triggering with a K instead of a P, but it's impossible to tell what move is activating when they're all variations of punches. The item thing bugged me to and I get that it's a call back to the original and requiring me to make mental or physical notes on what items do isn't a deal breaker, but I bought the most expensive thing at the comic store and I don't think it gave me any feedback on how it affected my character.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Doom, Final Fantasy 7, Golden Eye, Unreal, Doom 3, MGS2, Halo, Dead Rising, Final Fantasy 13, and more recently Uncharted 4 and HZD have all sort of caused me some future shock with graphics and design. It's rarer these days just because that poo poo is expected I guess. Growing up playing on an Apple II, Atari 2600, and Nintendo and now playing on a PS4,WiiU, and gaming PC means I have experienced nearly the entire gamut in real time and it kinda feels weird.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Cross posting this cuz lol

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Playing games in HD on a PC after a lifetime of consoles played on fuzzy old CRTs was probably the most I've been blown away by graphics but it was also incredibly bittersweet because it made me realize how ugly almost everything I had played up to that point was beneath the blur and the fuzz.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Palpek posted:

First time seeing Super Mario Bros 1, it was on a friend's big screen TV. Their TV was bigger than me :v:

Doom was another pretty big one because up until that point I had been living off of Wolf3D running on a 286, in that tiny postage stamp sized window.

The return to 120Hz+ after a decade or so of the shitheap that was 60Hz high persistence LCD monitors is probably the biggest one as of lately.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

bloodychill posted:

Cross posting this cuz lol

This video starts off funny with the kids barging in but then the dad just kind of casually pushes one back and then the mom or babysitter (?) come rushing in and just yank that one little girl by the arm really hard. It's like jesus christ these kids barging into your super important news broadcast is not THAT big of a deal man

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Besides the aforementioned Q3, my other moments of "how can graphics possibly get any better" were Doom, Descent II, Final Fantasy VIII, Half-Life 2, Assassin's Creed, and both nu-Tomb Raiders.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Choco/Mog was the funniest goddamn thing to 9 year old me

Choco/Mog owned and I got to see every little detail because my PC couldn't play the game any faster then 10 FPS. For similar reasons it froze during the movie when you escape the northern crater but I still got to see Neo Bahamut in glorious 3d. :pcgaming:

Guy Mann posted:

Playing games in HD on a PC after a lifetime of consoles played on fuzzy old CRTs was probably the most I've been blown away by graphics but it was also incredibly bittersweet because it made me realize how ugly almost everything I had played up to that point was beneath the blur and the fuzz.

This is good too, replacing old CRTs with HD TVs, games, and HDMI cables made everything look nice and crisp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Macaluso posted:

This video starts off funny with the kids barging in but then the dad just kind of casually pushes one back and then the mom or babysitter (?) come rushing in and just yank that one little girl by the arm really hard. It's like jesus christ these kids barging into your super important news broadcast is not THAT big of a deal man

Hey man, I'm on TV, I don't have time to raise my childen. That's what underpaid immigrants are for.

• Locked thread