Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you really want to experience Drakengard 3, just watch The Dark Id's screenshot Let's Play of it.

Probably the best way to experience Drakengard 1-3 and Nier. one should always click the songs,tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I watched a recap of nier. How essential is understanding Drakengard?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Norns posted:

Nier is the sequel to the last ending of the original Drakengard (Drakengard 2 is the sequel to the first ending and it's also the dullest story wise). It gets referenced a few times but it's not important. Drakengard 3 is a prequel to the whole series and is only related in the most tangential of ways.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

glam rock hamhock posted:

Nier is the sequel to the last ending of the original Drakengard (Drakengard 2 is the sequel to the first ending and it's also the dullest story wise). It gets referenced a few times but it's not important. Drakengard 3 is a prequel to the whole series and is only related in the most tangential of ways.

Not so much the last ending as the weirdest ending. The protagonist and his dragon get sucked through a dimensional vortex along with the final boss into present-day Tokyo, slaying the boss in a hideous rhythm music fight before getting shot down by F-16's. No I am not joking. Nier is based on what results from these events.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

The less you know about Drakengard the more sense it makes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not so much the last ending as the weirdest ending. The protagonist and his dragon get sucked through a dimensional vortex along with the final boss into present-day Tokyo, slaying the boss in a hideous rhythm music fight before getting shot down by F-16's. No I am not joking. Nier is based on what results from these events.

Yoko taro talks alot about how 9-11 really impacted him and inspired his work and the message behind it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

The song being good probably helped.

drakengard.txt

Norns posted:

you don't need to know anything about drakengard to play nier (tho it helps), and you don't need to know anything about nier or drakengard to play nier automata (tho it helps). the stories have nothing to do with one another outside of existing in the same world. there are references but you don't need to know anything about the other games to play the new one

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 10, 2017

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Over halfway through and I would like to update my opinion on the first Uncharted from "awesome" to "awesome mixed with a constant barrage of boring rear end shooting sequences"

Do the sequels improve on that aspect any? Everything else is peaches.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

outside of uncharted 3, naughty dog was very good about making the shooting better every time they put out a new game

uncharted 4 also has more downtime between the shooting sequences and you can actually for real stealth through a lot of them, so if you just don't like the concept of shooting then it'll probably be up your alley :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was better in 4 because there was a lot less of it :v:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
what was the last good demo, anyway? Nier's seems middling, and god knows the FFXV one turned people off of it despite the main game being much better. I used to play the hell out of those jampack demo discs back in the day (Tekken 2 where you only got to choose between Lei and Jun!), but I dunno what the last demo was that actually sold me on a game.

Loutre posted:

Over halfway through and I would like to update my opinion on the first Uncharted from "awesome" to "awesome mixed with a constant barrage of boring rear end shooting sequences"

Do the sequels improve on that aspect any? Everything else is peaches.

it's been said before and it'll be said again, but make sure you aren't playing them as cover shooters--they weren't meant to be played like that, and especially in the first one, the enemies can take a lot of bullet punishment before going down. you're meant to be running around, firing a couple shots from the hip, and punching enemies out before rolling into cover for a breather. if you still don't like it after playing it that way, then it's fine--the first one is generally thought of as the worst one by most people. the later games give you a lot more options for dealing with enemies, but overall the design philosophy is the same: keep on the move, run and gun is your friend.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Uncharted is the game I've felt the most benefit from dropping the difficulty way down.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

morallyobjected posted:

what was the last good demo, anyway? Nier's seems middling, and god knows the FFXV one turned people off of it despite the main game being much better. I used to play the hell out of those jampack demo discs back in the day (Tekken 2 where you only got to choose between Lei and Jun!), but I dunno what the last demo was that actually sold me on a game.

Nioh got a whole three demos, which got incrementally better as they took on player feedback.

Who knows what would've happened without those demos? Maybe the final game would've still had that god-awful durability system.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I just started Nier Automata and it's super-interesting going from Horizon Zero Dawn directly to it to see two different visions of how a robo-apocalyse aftermath would look. HZD's world is incredibly vibrant, with the remnants of humanity being totally reclaimed by beautiful nature and the main active reminders of the old world being obviously destroyed by violence and conflict. Just from the first zone Nier:A feels way more melancholic and solemn about it and if I wasn't explicitly told about the war I'd feel that humanity just died out rather than was killed off.

I'm trading back in my PS4 Slim and getting a Pro because this console feels like a real keeper, and I may even see if a cheap-ish 4K TV is a possibility. Kinda kicking myself for not going Pro in the first place but I never thought I'd like the console this much. Bloodborne > Nioh > HZD > Nier:A, and then Persona 5 real drat soon and after that a big list of exclusives games I actually give a poo poo about are amazing.

Edit: HAhahaha okay no, there's no such thing as a budget 4K TV yet.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 10, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I'm not an expert on Platinum but what I've played of them has been quite good. (Bayonetta, Anarchy Reigns, God Hand counts right?)

There's a very strange aura to the original Nier that made it my favorite JRPG of last gen. I've only put 3 hours into Automata though, wanted to 100% Horizon first.

I can't really give you concrete points on if you should get it. Im playing it for the story and not the best judge of it since I don't view its gameplay as a deal breaker. Nier was not a good game, but its mood and story excelled.

Going from previous experience, Nier Automata story might be a lil JRPG at points, but it will also be hosed up and unexpected.

Cool. I'm definitely intrigued by how much people like the story.

To be clear I thought the gameplay in the demo was fun, I love the art direction and the music is great. The thing that puts me on the fence is that, stuff like the environmental design seems really sparse. The videos I have watched kind of seem like a lot of bland environments with a lot of really sparsely populated and samey enemy groups. I guess the thing that worries me is that it looks like it might (or might not be) be a mix of not particularly engaging gameplay mixed with big, long info dumps.

The reason the demo left me luke warm, was less that I didn't like the demo and more that I felt like the demo didn't give me a very good idea of if I'd like the whole game or not.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I played the DOOM demo and bought the game the next day.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I played the DOOM demo and bought the game the next day.

Good man.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pierson posted:

Edit: HAhahaha okay no, there's no such thing as a budget 4K TV yet.

Yeah, right now the cheapest set with decent quality is around $1300 on a good day.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

it's been said before and it'll be said again, but make sure you aren't playing them as cover shooters--they weren't meant to be played like that, and especially in the first one, the enemies can take a lot of bullet punishment before going down. you're meant to be running around, firing a couple shots from the hip, and punching enemies out before rolling into cover for a breather. if you still don't like it after playing it that way, then it's fine--the first one is generally thought of as the worst one by most people. the later games give you a lot more options for dealing with enemies, but overall the design philosophy is the same: keep on the move, run and gun is your friend.

If betas count, Overwatch's public beta sold me on the game.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Gravy Jones posted:

I'm a little concerned based on...

They patched it a day later and it IS much better. But now I get some screent-tearing, just in certain spots. I wonder if their solution was to turn off V-Sync.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Why the gently caress won't patch 4.50 download?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It takes ages to initialise I found. I thought it had it crashed

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It takes ages to initialise I found. I thought it had it crashed

I'm not getting initialise issues - it just immediately fails as soon as I try to start it up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sony's servers have been having issues the past day or two, I believe. Lots of people reporting slow downloads and random disconnects. Happened to me a time or two yesterday.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Even the official PSBlog is posting Nier/Drakengard summaries now
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/10/heres-what-happened-before-nier-automatas-story-began/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

"Everything is terrible and hosed"

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

veni veni veni posted:

Cool. I'm definitely intrigued by how much people like the story.

To be clear I thought the gameplay in the demo was fun, I love the art direction and the music is great. The thing that puts me on the fence is that, stuff like the environmental design seems really sparse. The videos I have watched kind of seem like a lot of bland environments with a lot of really sparsely populated and samey enemy groups. I guess the thing that worries me is that it looks like it might (or might not be) be a mix of not particularly engaging gameplay mixed with big, long info dumps.

The reason the demo left me luke warm, was less that I didn't like the demo and more that I felt like the demo didn't give me a very good idea of if I'd like the whole game or not.

I have beaten route A and am some way into route B. So far there has not been any info dumps of any particular length but the enemies absolutely are samey. Ignoring bosses there's about 10 variants on monster type and then just reskins of those monsters combined with them sometimes having different weapons which will change how they act a small degree.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Failboattootoot posted:

I have beaten route A and am some way into route B. So far there has not been any info dumps of any particular length but the enemies absolutely are samey. Ignoring bosses there's about 10 variants on monster type and then just reskins of those monsters combined with them sometimes having different weapons which will change how they act a small degree.

Almost everything in orginal nier is a yellow squigle monster or a brown robo square so this is a huge upgrade

ufarn
May 30, 2009
1.5% of Horizon owners have plat'd it. That seems like a decent share for a trophy that takes at least 10-20 hours more to get.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ufarn posted:

1.5% of Horizon owners have plat'd it. That seems like a decent share for a trophy that takes at least 10-20 hours more to get.

I got every achievement on the first run with the exception of the grazer dummies, which were kind of a pain to find without consulting a walkthrough. It seems like a pretty easy game to plat if you do everything.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I'm still waiting for my Bloodborne Plat theme

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Real hurthling! posted:

Almost everything in orginal nier is a yellow squigle monster or a brown robo square so this is a huge upgrade

I imagine that about 10 seperate enemy types is nearly 200% more monster variety than original Nier, true.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Just Offscreen posted:

I'm still waiting for my Bloodborne Plat theme

It's really bad though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I got every achievement on the first run with the exception of the grazer dummies, which were kind of a pain to find without consulting a walkthrough. It seems like a pretty easy game to plat if you do everything.
It's fairly straightforward with a trophy guide, but it's still interesting that people didn't just put it down after completing it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

exquisite tea posted:

Same. The grazer dummies are the only things you have to go out of your way to do to plat it. Otherwise it's just "do the mainquest, do all the sidequests, collect the easy collectibles (don't worry about the little lore clippings all over the place), and the plat is yours." I beat the game in 50 hours and got the plat and it never felt like some chore, except the dummies which took all of 5-10 minutes.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Horizon's platinum is not so bad. I thought getting all blazing sun marks would have been a pain but they were surprisingly easy. Even getting to level 50 was no problem, but I did luck out and hit 50 during the final mission.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

slev posted:

It's really bad though.

Don't care- I need it to live.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Just Offscreen posted:

Don't care- I need it to live.

Email customer support and bug them about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a thing somewhere about letting Sony send you promotional e-mail you need to have that checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I got Inside at this week's sale and enjoyed it the whole way through. But like Limbo it feels kind of distant and unemotional, even though the overall atmosphere is pretty great. I enjoy team Ico's similar efforts more since I feel more emotionally connected to what is happening. The last few chapters feature some awesome animation, but the ending itself was (intentionally) underwhelming. I would have preferred if it ended in total carnage. I wanted some release dammit!

Tldr; Inside is pretty enjoyable but way overrated and barely worth the discounted price, considering how short it is, and its non-existant replayability.

To those who have seen it, is the secret ending worth unlocking or should I just YouTube it?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 10, 2017