Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

So Annie's plan the entire time was 'if someone gets hurt, the psychopomps will heal them'?

There are many, many flaws with that plan.

v I didn't think about it that way. Annie got her father's 'TERRIBLE PLANS INVOLVING PSYCHOPOMPS' genes.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Annie confirmed to be just as big an idiot as her dad

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Holy poo poo, not getting Smitty to a doctor right away was part of the plan. They didn't have any healers and no way to get healed other than the psychopomps, this was a really bad plan.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

This is honestly starting to cross from "honest but brutal takedown of a character's ill thought out plan" to approaching a weird uncomfortable territory where it's going a bit over the line and I think I'm just going to check out until next chapter. Maybe being able to binge it in one go will feel a bit better because this ain't really doing it for me.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i feel like this isn't a case of anybody being entirely right

annie definitely hosed up though

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At this point Red is just being an rear end in a top hat. Kat, Parley, and Smitty all knew exactly what they were getting into and chose to go down there on their own. Parley was even the one that initiated the whole expedition AND if the court found out what they were doing down there, especially by means of someone being teleported into a hospital with a ghost knife in their chest, they might all be out on their ear. Annie's done a terrible job of standing up for herself since her Dad came back, and I do not believe that Red is putting things in a fair light at all. For all we know Annie made them both chant "What we are about to do will be extremely dangerous." fifty times before they popped down.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Really need to reconsider my choice of waifus now.

It's a joke.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Annie confirmed to be just as big an idiot as her dad

Tony didn't drag innocents into his plan

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

A lot of Annie Stans in here not able to tolerate criticism of they girl being a total idiot

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EmmyOk posted:

but... tony is innocent???

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Red's superpower is a direct phone line to the goddamn Truth.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

This is honestly starting to cross from "honest but brutal takedown of a character's ill thought out plan" to approaching a weird uncomfortable territory where it's going a bit over the line and I think I'm just going to check out until next chapter. Maybe being able to binge it in one go will feel a bit better because this ain't really doing it for me.

I kind of feel in the world of "Every adult is either Indifferent, powerless or actively kinda a dick" this is a little harsh for a teenager effectively goaded into fighting a murderghost yeah.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Tony almost accidentally killed his own daughter because he's an idiot.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Annie continues to get pooped on. Also mystery solved

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

EmmyOk posted:

Uh-huh.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Oh... so I guess that Red is a goon seeing as she is essentially stating what everyone was saying in this thread while everything was going on.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I wonder how much of this chapter was written directly in response to the reaction to last chapter

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

dragon enthusiast posted:

I wonder how much of this chapter was written directly in response to the reaction to last chapter

None, I'd expect, given how much of a buffer he has.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wrist Watch posted:

So, binging through the last chapter and this just now, I find that Red is addressing outstanding questions an attentive and reasonable reader would raise.

I'm not seeing what's uncomfortable here. Annie's top priority was not minimization of pain and risk. Or, if it was her top priority, she accidentally let other factors - like avoiding trouble - displace it.

Red sees this for what it is. Given her growing distress, Annie seems to be seeing it too. Growing up is hard but necessary, and the capacity to see how you weigh your own ideas and priorities from a more objective standpoint is a monstrous, humbling part of maturation. I hope fake comic book character Annie picks up improved self-awareness from this.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

Being uncomfortable is the right reaction. Look at Ayilu's eyes, you are not alone.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Regy Rusty posted:

Being uncomfortable is the right reaction. Look at Ayilu's eyes, you are not alone.

I'm basically waiting for Ayilu's rebuttal / re-framing. This is likely her chapter, and she may have a balanced perspective to offer we're meant to take as the author's debriefing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wrist Watch posted:

Sometimes the most pernicious thing of all is not active malice, but a sort of passive rationalized manipulativeness/self-centered outlook. Annie's learning that right now. She didn't set out to be an rear end in a top hat, but she kind of was regardless :shrug:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Basically Annie has always had a bit of a bad habit of placing her personal goals over the well-being of her peers, if unintentionally so, and Red is giving her a much-needed reality check on why this is kind of not a great thing.

Annie often operates on a "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission" basis and like Kat once said way long ago that makes it hard to be Annie's friend.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So the fairies are basically the SA forums come alive.

I'm okay with this.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Uthor posted:

So the fairies are basically the SA forums come alive.

I'm okay with this.

It checks out.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Why is Red now the logical one and "Ayilu" is the one who goes into a fit of rage? Why is Red so drat good at dropping truth bombs when they usually seem so oblivious all the time? Where did that easel and vase come from? Why is nobody else around to congratulate Ayilu on her ceremonial naming? Why does Ayilu just snap out of her rage suddenly and stand around to watch Red brutally take down Annie with a kind of neutral expression, as if nothing happened?

This sure seems like the kind of trick Tom would pull but it's also just plausible enough to not be one. I gotta give him credit either way.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
this sequence is confusing to me because it doesn't match up with who was involved at all. red and ayilu have a right to be pissed off if annie really didn't communicate the danger of the mission to them ahead of time, but red's also trying to speak on behalf of people who were involved almost from the very beginning, and knew exactly what they were getting into. it's weird that annie is being treated as the leader of the mission when she didn't actually have a way to stop parley from bipping her hubby to a doctor immediately if she had actually wanted to do that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Venuz Patrol posted:

this sequence is confusing to me because it doesn't match up with who was involved at all. red and ayilu have a right to be pissed off if annie really didn't communicate the danger of the mission to them ahead of time, but red's also trying to speak on behalf of people who were involved almost from the very beginning, and knew exactly what they were getting into. it's weird that annie is being treated as the leader of the mission when she didn't actually have a way to stop parley from bipping her hubby to a doctor immediately if she had actually wanted to do that.

Yes you just outlined what is happening here, what's confusing about that

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Yes you just outlined what is happening here, what's confusing about that

annie knows all this but isn't saying so to red.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Venuz Patrol posted:

annie knows all this but isn't saying so to red.

I think she's justifiably overwhelmed by the whiplash. It's not necessarily easy to calmly point that stuff out when someone is talking like this to you.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm not at all clear on how "I couldn't physically restrain Parley from saving Smitty's life, she had the option to ignore me when I told her not to so I wouldn't get in trouble" is in any way a counterargument

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
"I'd rather sell my soul than have to talk to dad again," seems about right for a Carver.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

"I'd rather sell my soul than have to talk to dad again," seems about right for a Carver.

Well she was banking on them doing it for free since she just did them a solid, and ended up wasting precious teleporting-to-a-doctor-time while bargaining, so she got sorta forced into selling her soul.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Like Annie is loving dumber than Tony because she knew she was walking into a blender and had just the worst plan. She's known about Jeanne for years and still made such a loving mess of it. If you think Tony hurting Annie is the same you're really dumb for a variety of reasons even if you think Tony Was Innocent TM

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Annie is literally a child so

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I'm not at all clear on how "I couldn't physically restrain Parley from saving Smitty's life, she had the option to ignore me when I told her not to so I wouldn't get in trouble" is in any way a counterargument

parley leaves in the fight and everyone gets instagibbed

she really was the main tank down there, and who knows whether she can precisely teleport back to the annan waters to ferry everyone back after she's taken Andrew to a surgeon

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

comic books

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Annie is literally a child so
Are you implying that teenagers are bad at planning and risk analysis? :colbert:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This latest page is coming perilously close to convincing me that the main character has been irredeemably selfish gambling with the lives of her closest friends. Like, it was there while it was happening, but this is shattering the "it's just how fantasy fiction is" of it. We're shutting off the possibility of the behavior "making sense in-world", because we have a normally unserious character voicing the most condemning criticisms that previously were coming from readers, outside the story. I mean yeah, if you want to go there, treat this like you would if it weren't a story with moral exceptions for narrative... Annie's such a heartless and irresponsible idiot that there's no coming back from this. You kinda have to hope that she's brought to justice by more level-headed authorities, and participates in nothing resembling an adventure again for the rest of her life. We need a new protagonist who we could even half-hope maintains agency.

Like, cheer ambiguity and flawed protagonists (which she already was), but this is dangerously close to just shutting out the possibility of the main character being someone you'd want to attempt to bring about any net good.

Also you should probably probate me for drunkposting, I won't believe any of this tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Lighten up people, it's bad but all this 'Annie is not a rational risk free ghost busting professional therefore I emotionally struggle to continue with the comic' is a bit much.

There's a reason that it was historically common for teenagers to go off on raids/armies/dangrous travel and either come back wiser or not at all.