Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

a.lo posted:

Government...just...doesn't....work

ya authority is a lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oh dang i forgot i had that in my sig

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
as an american i hate satire. it never makes any sense. we don't torture anyone under the american flag, we do it at gitmo and chigaco warehouses.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
this is the WP scene i was talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQw5VlfYDTw

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

I actually meant to emptyquote and lmao about this, and I'm not really sure what alchemy led me to not but I'm phoneposting so leave me alone

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/746803108949409793

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dredd is excellent satire first and foremost because Dredd conducts an ICE raid on someones giant rear end, which I can 100% see happening now

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Trey Gowdy

Gohmert

King.

Chaffetz

There are some real dumb and bad GOP reps

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
SON OF A BITCH AMERICAN
AMERICAN IS PIG
DO YOU WANT A HAMBURGER?
DO YOU WANT A PIZZA?
AMERICAN IS PIG DISGUSTING
DONALD JOHN TRUMP IS A MURDERER
loving U.S.A

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

dredd is simultaneously a very subtle satire of our police and surveillance state and a sweet action movie where dredd karate chops a dude's trachea shut and blows another dude's head off w explosive ammo

it's basically a perfect movie

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Gringostar posted:

dredd 3d movie favorite scene: a bunch of people burned alive

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

cumshitter posted:

even as a child i knew there was no way taco bell would win the franchise wars that part was just completely ridiculous

the satire in that movie was from top to bottom dude

taco bell was a 5 star restaurant

that's how lovely the future actually became

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Gringostar posted:

:sun:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

Jesus fuckin christ, theyre gonna start building temples in his honor next

god emperor confirmed

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

CAROL posted:

SON OF A BITCH AMERICAN
AMERICAN IS PIG
DO YOU WANT A HAMBURGER?
DO YOU WANT A PIZZA?
AMERICAN IS PIG DISGUSTING
DONALD JOHN TRUMP IS A MURDERER
loving U.S.A

same

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gringostar posted:

stalone dredd is the fascist action movie, but stalone demolition man is loving art

What about Stallone Death Race 2000?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Demolition Man owns

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Tainen posted:

Looks like someone got too close to the piss tape and got pissed on

https://twitter.com/grynbaum/status/840241710223544320

It's like Infinite Jest, except with the Piss Tape

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Al! posted:

the guy that uploaded it was a shithead

i know this comes as a shock, but there are lots of shitheads on the internet

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fullhouse posted:

dredd is simultaneously a very subtle satire of our police and surveillance state and a sweet action movie where dredd karate chops a dude's trachea shut and blows another dude's head off w explosive ammo

it's basically a perfect movie

a good dredd opinion right here.

Gringostar posted:

It's not just a 5 star restaurant, it's the ONLY restaurant after winning the Fast Food Wars. (Pizza hut if you are international)

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

what seems to be your boggle?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

sullat posted:

What about Stallone Death Race 2000?

more carradine than stallone, but owns

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

It's like Infinite Jest, except with the Piss Tape

infinite piss

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Gringostar posted:

Probably serve well done steak

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

punchymcpunch posted:

what seems to be your boggle?

I have no quarrel with you brother

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

The best movie explaining America is Johnny Mnemonic but just imagine instead of getting over himself and joining the dolphin mind resistance he keeps ranting and raving about how he deserves good burgers and expensive prostitutes for the rest of the movie

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This is also happening

quote:

Imagine that a black man is stopped and frisked by New York Police Department officers. When he asks why he’s being stopped, one officer answers, “for being a loving mutt.” Having no reason to arrest him, they let him go. Now suppose encounters like this happen not only to one man but to New Yorkers of color by the thousands.

Class action lawsuits provide a vehicle for bringing coordinated legal claims when large groups face such widespread wrongs. It was a class action, Floyd, et al. v. City of New York, that brought an end to the NYPD’s discriminatory and unconstitutional use of stop and frisk in 2013. I was a lead attorney on the Floyd trial, and our victory led to much-needed reform within the nation’s largest police department. Floyd’s existence and success hinged, though, on procedures that enable that kind of case, procedures that might soon disappear when lawmakers vote on a bill that would gut class actions.

Last month, House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) introduced the “Fairness in Class Action Litigation Act of 2017” (H.R. 985), a pro-business bill that would impose significant new restrictions on class action lawsuits. Goodlatte proposed a similar bill by the same name last year, but it died in the Senate. The House is expected to vote on H.R. 985 this week, however, and insiders close to the bill believe it—or some version of it—could become law given the limited bandwidth of Senate Democrats to fight it and increased support for tort reform from the nation’s biggest lobbying group, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

In a statement, Goodlatte positioned H.R. 985 as a commonsense measure to prevent greedy trial lawyers from “gaming” legal loopholes and siphoning millions from corporations, but the bill would also have the effect — unintended or intentional — of making civil rights class actions nearly impossible to bring and successfully litigate.

H.R. 985 creates a web of hurdles for civil rights class actions. First, the bill would make it financially difficult for civil rights attorneys at nonprofits to take on these cases, which are resource-intensive, by delaying and limiting how courts award fees when a case is won. In addition, it would give defendants — the alleged wrongdoers — the right to automatically appeal a judge’s decision that a case can proceed as a class action, something that would disrupt and prolong a case, sometimes from the very onset.

More at the link: https://www.themarshallproject.org/2017/03/08/a-critical-civil-rights-tool-is-on-the-chopping-block#.DaUVPtxLl

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

IDK that there's evidence this kind of thing happens. Megachurches are still a minority of American churches, and most church donations go to keeping the church up and running various programs. Obviously there's issues with church-based charity, but it's not a cover for crime.

Even mainstream churches game the system. One example I've personally encountered: say your church wants to build a parking lot, or a 'soup kitchen' that mysteriously only serves the congregation and can be rented for wedding receptions/wakes. A family member or congregant owns a private construction company. They win the no-bid contract, and construct the facility. But, surprise, the church doesn't pay the agreed upon amount. The private company gets a tax write off, and a lot of the money is unaccounted for at the end.

Catholic and Baptist churches are notorious for creatively maximizing tax-free transfers of wealth during renovations and expansions.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Al! posted:

This is what I meant before. The problem isn't really judge dredd its the people seeing a big authoritarian monster and going "lol that rules"

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Fullhouse posted:

infinite piss

Infinipee

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol the franchise winner was changed to Pizza Hut in Europe as we would have no clue who Taco Bell was :o:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
New Dredd is quite good and it's hilarious to think that's Dr McCoy from the new Trek movies.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

The Brown Menace posted:

The best movie explaining America is Johnny Mnemonic but just imagine instead of getting over himself and joining the dolphin mind resistance he keeps ranting and raving about how he deserves good burgers and expensive prostitutes for the rest of the movie

any movie with rollins is a good movie

anything with rollings is good though

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the issue with making satirical murderous fascist action movies in modern America is that we've had so many unironic murderous fascist action movies that telling the difference between "killing literally dozens of people preemptively is good and they deserved it" and "killing literally dozens of people preemptively is kind of hosed up, shouldn't there be a way to do that without killing all of them?" basically depends on your political leanings and nothing more

like people can see actual videos of the real police choking a guy to death for selling unlicensed cigarettes and say "yeah, it's good that that unarmed man was murdered, because he is a criminal" and how do you get these people to understand satire?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
imo the best movie explaining america is dirty harry

it perfectly encapsulates america's obsession with law and order and indifference towards doing whatever needs to be done to achieve it

with plenty of casual racism and :argh: liberal pussies!! :argh: to go around

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Fullhouse posted:

the issue with making satirical murderous fascist action movies in modern America is that we've had so many unironic murderous fascist action movies that telling the difference between "killing literally dozens of people preemptively is good and they deserved it" and "killing literally dozens of people preemptively is kind of hosed up, shouldn't there be a way to do that without killing all of them?" basically depends on your political leanings and nothing more

like people can see actual videos of the real police choking a guy to death for selling unlicensed cigarettes and say "yeah, it's good that that unarmed man was murdered, because he is a criminal" and how do you get these people to understand satire?

reeducation camps :v:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Gringostar posted:

any movie with rollins is a good movie

anything with rollings is good though

He Never Died owns

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bethamphetamine posted:

Even mainstream churches game the system. One example I've personally encountered: say your church wants to build a parking lot, or a 'soup kitchen' that mysteriously only serves the congregation and can be rented for wedding receptions/wakes. A family member or congregant owns a private construction company. They win the no-bid contract, and construct the facility. But, surprise, the church doesn't pay the agreed upon amount. The private company gets a tax write off, and a lot of the money is unaccounted for at the end.

Catholic and Baptist churches are notorious for creatively maximizing tax-free transfers of wealth during renovations and expansions.

The Catholic diocese in Portland declared bankruptcy rather than paying the sex abuse damages. Surprise, they don't own anything, they just rent it from the Vatican.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

chamber of commerce fascist, so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

mormonpartyboat posted:

imo the best movie explaining america is dirty harry

it perfectly encapsulates america's obsession with law and order and indifference towards doing whatever needs to be done to achieve it

with plenty of casual racism and :argh: liberal pussies!! :argh: to go around

Now here's a fight waiting to happen.

Are the dirty Harry movies satire?

• Locked thread