Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Breath Ray posted:

I like him. He is a lovely bloke when you get to know him and a drat good MP in a tough ward.

This is an exciting new line of trolling for you. Interesting. I wish you well in your endeavour of pretending George Galloway is not a shithead and not a terrible constituency MP.

10th March 1944: The National Liberation Front was formed in the mountains of northern Greece in opposition to the Nazi occupation.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kustomkarkommando posted:

The people of Bradford East seem to have disagreed

God KNOWS who is a Muslim. And he KNOWS who is not.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The EU are clearly trying to intervene in the upcoming Cornish independence referendum. Sad!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

This is an exciting new line of trolling for you. Interesting. I wish you well in your endeavour of pretending George Galloway is not a shithead and not a terrible constituency MP.

10th March 1944: The National Liberation Front was formed in the mountains of northern Greece in opposition to the Nazi occupation.

Someone asked for opinions on George so why shouldn't I share mine?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hmm ... guess Galloway is a bad man then.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Galloway is also transphobic as all hell. Overall a big shithead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But Iran is #2 in the world for gender reassignment therapy. Why do you hate the Islamic Republic George? Why do you make Ali Khamenei cry so?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Breath Ray posted:

Someone asked for opinions on George so why shouldn't I share mine?

It's not actually your opinion though, is it? If it was, I look forward to all the reasoning behind thinking Galloway isn't a self-promoting shitehawk who has continually used religion in the most grotesque & divisive way during his career.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

But Iran is #2 in the world for gender reassignment therapy. Why do you hate the Islamic Republic George? Why do you make Ali Khamenei cry so?
He still thinks the Ayatollah is (famous Scottish tory) Sean Connery just in robes.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Excited for his pirate book tho.

Will you be pirating it?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It would only be ethical.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

kustomkarkommando posted:

The people of Bradford East seem to have disagreed

Nah, Bradford East had an MP in David Ward! :haw:

In other news, Katie Hopkins found to have libelled Jack Monroe. £24k damages and looking like substantial costs on top.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

In other news, Katie Hopkins found to have libelled Jack Monroe. £24k damages and looking like substantial costs on top.

The judgment is well worth reading because the court's attempts to explain Twitter (with the aid of an appendix, no less!) have the potential to be the "popular beat combo" of the 2010s.

Edit: Here's a copy, for convenience.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 10, 2017

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

It's not actually your opinion though, is it? If it was, I look forward to all the reasoning behind thinking Galloway isn't a self-promoting shitehawk who has continually used religion in the most grotesque & divisive way during his career.

Its my opinion based on meeting him once. I suppose the lesson for whoever asked is to think for themselves and remember there's two sides to every story.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

George Galloway blocked me on Twitter.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Paxman posted:

George Galloway blocked me on Twitter.

Well it's hardly surprising he wouldn't get on well with Jeremy Paxman.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Breath Ray posted:

Its my opinion based on meeting him once. I suppose the lesson for whoever asked is to think for themselves and remember there's two sides to every story.

I love that I posted celebrating that even the resident trolls hated the guy and you popped up and promptly successfully trolled the thread. :sun:

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I find the concept of resident trolls problematic. Is plurality so unwelcome?

Anyway, some good news. Real disposable income growth 2010-2014 is up for the poorest 10% in the UK and down for the median and top 10%. From a graph in yesterday's FT. Source: OECD.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Isn't Galloway one of those weirdo leftists who think the West is the greatest evil so anything that opposes Western interests must automatically be good?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

TinTower posted:

Nah, Bradford East had an MP in David Ward! :haw:

Seems like costs will be in the area of 300-500k, and I'm guessing that's a lot of money for her.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
So apparently leaked emails have shown collusion of assange and farage. ?https://mobile.twitter.com/ericgarland/status/840159977016836096

ShredsYouSay fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 10, 2017

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Dabir posted:

Isn't Galloway one of those weirdo leftists who think the West is the greatest evil so anything that opposes Western interests must automatically be good?

I mean I agree with most of that but the last part, does that make me a weirdo leftist?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/Law_and_policy/status/840227323907567616

this is rather good, especially since hopkins (well, the mail) will need to pay for her own lawyers on top of that

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If someone was confusing me with Laurie Penny, I would want that much too.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

I find the concept of resident trolls problematic. Is plurality so unwelcome?

Anyway, some good news. Real disposable income growth 2010-2014 is up for the poorest 10% in the UK and down for the median and top 10%. From a graph in yesterday's FT. Source: OECD.

Baseless contrarianism and a plurality of opinion are different concepts. At least you don't get weirdly aggressive like Pissflaps. It stops being funny.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

TomViolence posted:

I mean I agree with most of that but the last part, does that make me a weirdo leftist?

I think it's more things like how he loves Assad because America doesn't and turned on dime from hating Saddam to praising him after the Gulf War.

Basically West is Bad, so anyone who opposes the West is Good. Like how the really pro-tier tankies talk about North Korea sticking it to the imperialists.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
katie Hopkins vs a food blogger is a tough one.. but I suppose she makes a lot of money for the mail, the uk's favourite quality daily. Plus I never knew she started on the Apprentice!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galloway is too crazy for me to figure out whether he is good, bad, or operating on an entirely different moral spectrum.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Western "interests" are bad, the thing is that non-western "interests" are just as bad, or worse. At some point though, they all meld together into a big pool of poo poo.

By "interests" I mean big money, mostly. Which in the end is the reason behind every military power play, every terrorist group, every everything.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Breath Ray posted:

quality daily
Eh? Or was that self aware satire or somthing

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Western "interests" are bad, the thing is that non-western "interests" are just as bad, or worse. At some point though, they all meld together into a big pool of poo poo.

By "interests" I mean big money, mostly. Which in the end is the reason behind every military power play, every terrorist group, every everything.

Its the ŕeason behind your arrival on these shores too tbf

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

LemonDrizzle posted:

this is rather good, especially since hopkins (well, the mail) will need to pay for her own lawyers on top of that

Apparently she didn't turn up once to the court proceedings lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Ethan_Booker/status/840239109436248064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Breath Ray posted:

Its the ŕeason behind your arrival on these shores too tbf

At this point I'm going to assume you just have a massive hardon for latinos, that's why you keep bringing it up. Sorry, I'm not available.

PS I have zero shame about being an economic migrant so I'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve here but lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Should have asked the kid their opinion on the matter tbh, I want them vox pops.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

(8) Later on 18th May 2015 the claimant posted the following on Twitter: "BA-DA-BOOM! it lies! it smears! it's wrong! It panics! It blocks! It's @KT_Hopkins everyone!" (With six pictures of a chicken)

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
So BT's been forced to sell off Openreach to improve competition in broadband provision: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39228115

quote:

BT has bowed to demands by the telecoms regulator Ofcom to legally separate Openreach, which runs the UK's broadband infrastructure.
Ofcom said that Openreach will become a distinct company with its own staff, management and strategy "to serve all of its customers equally".
It must consult with customers such as Sky and TalkTalk on major investments.
Ofcom boss Sharon White told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that "we can now expect better service from Openreach".
Openreach controls the fibre connections, ducts and pipes behind the UK's broadband infrastructure and sells access to BT's rivals, such as TalkTalk and Sky.
The regulator had threatened to force BT to legally separate Openreach.
However, Ofcom said on Friday that the company had agreed to all of the changes needed to address its competition concerns.
"As a result, Ofcom will no longer need to impose these changes through regulation. The reforms have been designed to begin this year."
Will be interested to see how this affects the broadband offers I receive, if at all.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

Why would the mail pay to defend her personally? Or do you mean in the general sense that they pay her salary?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

jabby posted:

Why would the mail pay to defend her personally? Or do you mean in the general sense that they pay her salary?
They won't - i brainfarted and forgot that she made the comments on twitter rather than in her mail column. Got mixed up with the last time she got sued, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

LemonDrizzle posted:

So BT's been forced to sell off Openreach to improve competition in broadband provision: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39228115

Will be interested to see how this affects the broadband offers I receive, if at all.

Err, if by "sell off" you mean "be the 100% shareholder of a company still within BT Group".

• Locked thread