Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
So that tomb in the tablet vision is the consort's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pyrolocutus posted:

I think I just hit double digits for trying to fail at Robbing the Brass Embassy but succeeding :v:

I just want to be thrown in prison again without further racking up the record! marwood! Send me to prison!

Go eat some spore toffee at the Carnival.

That's how I did it: I couldn't get thrown in jail for stealing, but I could get thrown in there for eating a bunch of candy that I legally bought and paid for. The neath is weird.

Or, alternativly, buy and equip a talkative rattus faber to lower your shadowy skill enough that you can fail challenges easily.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yes but then you get a criminal record

failing the brass embassy robbery does not impact your criminal record; you just go straight to prison

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Hammer away at your sense of self at the Nadir. (And then get the rat.)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

yes but then you get a criminal record

failing the brass embassy robbery does not impact your criminal record; you just go straight to prison

Ah, my mistake, I misunderstood what he was trying to do.

Do get the talkative rat though, if you're trying to fail at something that little guy is the way to go.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

What Down Jacket said.

Also, Brass Embassy robberies (and similar robberies in the Flit) hinge off your Casing... quality. You have to make Shadowy checks to get Casing, yes, but when it comes time to the actual robbery, you check against Casing. Also, you have to have a minimum Casing... to even do certain robberies. The best one can do is level Casing... juuuuuust enough to cross the threshold, leaving you with a 50-60% chance to succeed. That's what nuts about it, I've basically flipped a coin ten times in a row and it's come up heads every time. Fallen London will gladly gently caress me on a 96% chance to succeed, but that coinflip? 100% of the time, every time.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Looks like we get Blemmigans! :toot:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Memories of chains also don't increment your criminal record...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ah, my mistake, I misunderstood what he was trying to do.

Do get the talkative rat though, if you're trying to fail at something that little guy is the way to go.

That'll only help with mainstat checks, not the casing check on the embassy robbery.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

After repeatedly clobbering the receptionist at the Brass Embassy while yelling "I'M ROBBING YOU BEFEELERED BASTARDS", I have finally been sent to New Newgate after 13(?) attempts. I have a working theory that after blowing up the original Embassy and messing around with the timely arrival of a train to Hell, the devils were just trying to spite me.

Now my next item to tick off the list of Renown items is to set to zail for a mine. Then I start ticking up Tomb-Colonists and Urchins when the opportunity presents itself.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014
this has probably been covered upthread, but does being logged into the phone app gives you 2 actions every ten minutes? I've timed it a couple times here and it looks like I get 12 actions/hour instead of 6 when I'm logged into the app. so right now I'm spending down to zero, syncing into the app, then a couple hours later syncing the app and spending my doubled actions in my browser. is this intended? only finding a couple references to it on the reddit/googling in general.

just confirmed it happens again! this is definitely happening, is it known and intended by FBG?

crawlkill fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 5, 2017

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I haven't played this for ages but I fired it up tonight. I don't remember where all the stuff I have came from, I don't know where I'm at in various plotlines (I think I was going to Polythreme for the Watchful Ambition? Or did I do it and I was on my way back from it? I don't know, I just started at sea!).

I almost want to start a brand new character so I can soak up all the lore again and do a new ambition.

Maybe I'll use this account to go seek the name...

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

super sweet best pal posted:

Looks like we get Blemmigans! :toot:

One day I'll get lucky enough to get the secretary to go with it and my hat.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Hooboy, I left a card in my hand and got it locked on me, ugh.

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Park_and_Palace%3A_Society

I have the Stylish important card saver, but this doesn't seem that important?

I guess it is considered an important card to save? Is it supposed to be or did card IDs get shuffled and I need to update my CSS? Disabling stylish got rid of it at least.

Why would they draw a card that you're nowhere near able to do, anyway? my connected: society doesn't match my persuasive to do any of raise persuasive options.

Harik fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 5, 2017

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

Harik posted:

I guess it is considered an important card to save? Is it supposed to be or did card IDs get shuffled and I need to update my CSS? Disabling stylish got rid of it at least.

Why would they draw a card that you're nowhere near able to do, anyway? my connected: society doesn't match my persuasive to do any of raise persuasive options.

You can raise Connected:Society ultrafast if you want by being Entertaining/Erudite at the Duchess' Salon at the Palace.

The one reason I'm hesitant about recommending Stylish add-ons to protect important cards and block misclicks is that some of the blocked options aren't blocked for immediately obvious reasons. But if you've got the Opportunity Protector installed, any blocked card (appearing with neither a 'discard' or a 'can't discard' button) will always be down to Opportunity Protector IME.

The most useful choice on the 'Park and Palace: Society' card is 'An invitation to Dinner ' - this gives +5CP of MW with no quirks change, plus reduced Wounds and a little Connected: Society. Taking Port with the Veteran Privy Counsellor gives twice as much MW, but tanks Connected:Society and only increases Persuasive, the one stat that it's very hard not to raise just by existing.

I think that the only other two Faction cards that increase MW are 'The Demi-Monde: Bohemians' and the 'Altars and alms-houses: the Church'. Bohemians is also locked by the Opportunity Protector, Church is not for some reason. Buying drinks for Bohemians gives a little MW and boosts Hedonist at the expense of Austere; Attending a Church Fete gives a little MW and boosts Austere at the expense of Hedonist.

crawlkill posted:

this has probably been covered upthread, but does being logged into the phone app gives you 2 actions every ten minutes? I've timed it a couple times here and it looks like I get 12 actions/hour instead of 6 when I'm logged into the app. so right now I'm spending down to zero, syncing into the app, then a couple hours later syncing the app and spending my doubled actions in my browser. is this intended?

Judging from the past shenanigans of the FL app, I'd say, probably not. mobilesupport@failbettergames.com is the bug-reporting email.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Carnival of Shrews posted:

Judging from the past shenanigans of the FL app, I'd say, probably not. mobilesupport@failbettergames.com is the bug-reporting email.

Apparently it's a known issue with the app that can't be avoided if you use the app. Sounds like no ETA on fix.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I haven't played this for ages but I fired it up tonight. I don't remember where all the stuff I have came from, I don't know where I'm at in various plotlines (I think I was going to Polythreme for the Watchful Ambition? Or did I do it and I was on my way back from it? I don't know, I just started at sea!).

I really wish there was an easy way to go and see how each plot played out. There are stories that I had to grind for, and by the time I got back to them I had completely forgotten what was going on.

And the Journals only help so much and can become cluttered messes. Not very helpful.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope

crawlkill posted:

Apparently it's a known issue with the app that can't be avoided if you use the app. Sounds like no ETA on fix.

I always assumed it was intentional; maybe as an incentive to get people to use the app. Either way, getting double the actions doesn't seem like an issue you would want to get fixed.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

So, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on where to start getting those Candles for Seeking Mr Eaten's Name? I've tried looking around elsewhere but I couldn't find anything useful.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
So I'm finally at the point where I need to begin Fasting and Meditating on the Name (and divest myself of all worldly possessions). I mean, if I'm committed to going North then it doesn't really matter anymore, does it. Is the best thing to do just spend as long as it takes to max out SMEN at the lighthouse, then go back and resume the candles? I don't mind leaving my dudes at Winking Isle for a month or whatever it takes to grind it out. I just don't want to sell all this stuff then come to realize I actually still need it.

I guess I could buy Semiotic Monocles or something and "store" echoes that way?

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

So, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on where to start getting those Candles for Seeking Mr Eaten's Name? I've tried looking around elsewhere but I couldn't find anything useful.

When the value of your Seeking Mr Eaten's Name hits certain levels, the Seeking Road storylet in your lodgings will point you towards the candle.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

frest posted:

I guess I could buy Semiotic Monocles or something and "store" echoes that way?
Rookery Passwords are the most popular wealth storage medium for Winking Isle pilgrims.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

frest posted:

When the value of your Seeking Mr Eaten's Name hits certain levels, the Seeking Road storylet in your lodgings will point you towards the candle.

Ah, okay. Thanks man.

UrbanUrsine
Oct 17, 2007

Pyrolocutus posted:

After repeatedly clobbering the receptionist at the Brass Embassy while yelling "I'M ROBBING YOU BEFEELERED BASTARDS", I have finally been sent to New Newgate after 13(?) attempts. I have a working theory that after blowing up the original Embassy and messing around with the timely arrival of a train to Hell, the devils were just trying to spite me.

Now my next item to tick off the list of Renown items is to set to zail for a mine. Then I start ticking up Tomb-Colonists and Urchins when the opportunity presents itself.

Congrats. For a few profitably annoying hours I thought I was headed down this same rabbit hole, but perhaps you finally annoyed the RNG enough for it to start paying attention, as they locked me away on my fourth try.

Now if only I could quit losing the coinflip that is trying to get a Docks favour out of Sinning Jenny's finishing school. I'm starting up my sixth straight try there...

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Man the Black Ribbon Dueling Society sucks, it takes a full set of actions just to get a reasonable chance at winning half a point of progress and you spend all the rostygold you win on doctor visits. I just want to get past it and do more dangerous stories.

Also I could use some help with two things:

1) Nightmare reduction, I was relying on painting children's portraits at the shuttered palace for reduction but that story is closed to me now and I don't want to lose my recurring dreams by ending up in a state of some confusion. Is there a reliable method other than buying laudanum?

2) I need 1000 Nevercold Brass for Heart's Desire but I don't know where to grind.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CheeseThief posted:

spend all the rostygold you win on doctor visits.
1) Nightmare reduction
The solution to both is the same. Go home and take a nap. You have a very good chance of losing Wounds, and a pretty decent chance of losing Nightmares. (It can also raise it slightly, instead, so don't wait until the last second.)

If you need Nightmares down NOW, Mrs. Plenty's Carnival, you can drink spiced wine, usually drops Nightmares, sometimes raises Scandal.

UrbanUrsine
Oct 17, 2007

CheeseThief posted:

1) Nightmare reduction, I was relying on painting children's portraits at the shuttered palace for reduction but that story is closed to me now and I don't want to lose my recurring dreams by ending up in a state of some confusion. Is there a reliable method other than buying laudanum?
If you're at Tales of the University 5 (the first Term Passing carousel), there's a storylet under Enjoying the Pace of Academic Life that reduces Nightmares. Since you're dealing with the Black Ribbons, I'm guessing you don't have access to the Labyrith of Tigers yet; once you do, the Somnolent Hyena on the second coil lets you trade Nightmares for Wounds. What I generally do is use the Hyena until I get to Wounds 2, then go sleep them both off.

quote:

2) I need 1000 Nevercold Brass for Heart's Desire but I don't know where to grind.
If you have Connected: Hell to spare, you can call in favors in the Forgotten Quarter to score 240 brass at a time. If you don't have the Connected for it, grind Casing in The Flit and use it to Sell Information to devils; between grind-up and trade-in, you get 480 brass for 5 actions.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CheeseThief posted:

Man the Black Ribbon Dueling Society sucks, it takes a full set of actions just to get a reasonable chance at winning half a point of progress and you spend all the rostygold you win on doctor visits. I just want to get past it and do more dangerous stories.

Also I could use some help with two things:

Do you have access to Mahogany Hall? If you do you can just educate a devil and you'll be rolling in Nevercold Brass.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 9, 2017

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Harik posted:

I think it's because the dinner party option is a source of Making Waves. I assume you're still on Veilgarden content, the Accomplishment needed to do that is at the end of the Veilgarden stories.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CheeseThief posted:

To give to the Manager? Go get a ship and find the key, it's an infinitely better option and you'll need to go zailing soon anyway.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Would you like a secret about the masters?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Well, now we know that there are 11 masters and that they have all been very naughty.

I wonder (warning: name seeking spoilers) which transgression was committed by Mr. Eaten? Probably Light bringing, since he used to be Mr. Candles.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What does Unaccountably Peckish do? I seem to get it when I'm invited to dinner with devils, and I buy my way out with some Rostygold, so. Should I try to maintain it? I imagine that it's the game's way of saying I've eaten people!

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Bogart posted:

What does Unaccountably Peckish do? I seem to get it when I'm invited to dinner with devils, and I buy my way out with some Rostygold, so. Should I try to maintain it? I imagine that it's the game's way of saying I've eaten people!

Unaccountably Peckish is imperative to the Seeking Mr Enter's Name story. By having it, it allows special black cards to appear which can get you a Seeking Mr Eaten's Name quality.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Which, it should be pointed out, is an incredibly self-destructive story to follow. You only do it when you no longer care about your character and achievements as it will hurt you, badly.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Aleth posted:

Which, it should be pointed out, is an incredibly self-destructive story to follow. You only do it when you no longer care about your character and achievements as it will hurt you, badly.

Yeah, this. I've even heard it will completely make you account unplayable if you do it, but I'm not positive on that.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Yeah, this. I've even heard it will completely make you account unplayable if you do it, but I'm not positive on that.

Yup, that's a thing that happens. The game warns you, quite pointedly, about it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Bogart posted:

Oddly enough, that's what it means in Sunless Sea but not in FL.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It means precisely what it says. You get moments of sudden, undeniable hunger, usually because you've come into contact with something Bad. That's all. Just eat something pleasant and it will go away.

Unless you take it further.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've begun Seeking. I've done all I care to with this character. Perversely, this is the most excited I've been in Fallen London in quite a while. I'll keep you posted as I work to head NORTH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mise
Oct 6, 2010
I just got f***ed by the phone app,...

I was waiting for an unsigned message after I finally became notable enough to become a midnighter. Had a 33% chance and took it with a second chance, did it in the first try and was excited but remembered to sync up before anything else. After doing just that and it giving me the message that everything is fine, I wanted to set up my new shrine, the app freezes and as the next thing it tells me its reverting to the last save.

The last save seemed to before I got the unsigned message :bang: