Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

The whole "cryosleep and golden worlds" thing is giving me hella Interstellar vibes which is making me irrationally hyped for this.

I'll probably order from GMG for 20% off and play this the same way I played the others: at night, lights off, headset on, and baked. Same way I watched Interstellar, incidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Decius posted:

Man, everyone suffers from nervous eye syndrom. Also, I hope dialogs will be a bit more dynamic than the shot-countershot shown here. Witcher 3 and Uncharted 4 really upped the ante there.

Haven't played Witcher 3, but Uncharted 4 is a few hours of linear story cutscenes. They don't have to deal w/hundreds of hours of branching sidequest dialogue. That's always going to look way better.

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010

The Salarian seems to have better facial animations than any of the humans.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Serf posted:

This has been bothering me too. Although, for most of the time they were talking to Liam, he had the same problem that Horizon does: they forgot to make anything above the mouth emote at all aside from blinking. It's disconcerting. But Peebee and the salarian seemed to have better facial animations going on.

Dragon Age 2 had this thing where for every spoken line, the face would animate, right up until the sentence finished, and then it was back to :geno: for a split second before the next one started.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

AlternateAccount posted:

Do we know if the music is going to be handled like the awesome spacey-synthy stuff of ME1, the more boring and generic ME2/3 or something new entirely?

Every time you post this nonsense I'mma gonna debunk it. The soundtracks were consistently a mix of awesome space-synth stuff and bombastic orchestral throughout all three, with the last re-using just about most themes of the previous two.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Why would you buy a PS4 when you could have a good console with good connection speeds that most (all, in my case) of the games you want to play come out on, with free Xbox 360 backcompatibility, with two (EA and Non-EA) Netflix-like services with large libraries which allow you to download all the currently available games you like versus streaming them, which also happens to be the most affordable Ultra BluRay player on the market instead?

People make weird choices driven by peer pressure I guess.

What happened?
:coolfish::wth:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

every single character seems insanely insufferable

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Serf posted:

This has been bothering me too. Although, for most of the time they were talking to Liam, he had the same problem that Horizon does: they forgot to make anything above the mouth emote at all aside from blinking. It's disconcerting. But Peebee and the salarian seemed to have better facial animations going on.

I noticed that too. I wonder if the aliens don't have that problem because they have to make special models for their entire faces/heads rather than a segmented model or whatever they do for humans.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

fridge corn posted:

every single character seems insanely insufferable

big reveal at the end of the game: that was the Council's plan all along

put all the insufferables in Milky Way on a space ship and send them off to another galaxy

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
It all begins here. We're at the starting line. The Nexus is ahead, the Hyperion's engines are prepped, and your stasis pods are waiting. There's only time for a few words, so I’ll be brief.

I know you’re nervous. There’s probably a cold sweat at the base of your spine now that the hard truth of a six hundred-year voyage is sinking in. Trust me, I know, because that's how I felt when we activated the Charon mass relay years ago. We stood together, staring into that bright blue light, not knowing where it was going to take us or if we'd even make it through alive.

It was the hardest step I've ever taken, but it took humanity farther than we could have ever imagined.

This is another step on humanity's great journey – the longest so far. We're leaping into the void. This time, there's no chance to turn back.

But we go forward. We take that step. Because we know that whatever fate waits for us beyond dark space, we dared to be first.

We'll leave footprints where no human has ever been. We'll breathe the air and drink the water of worlds we can't even imagine. We will lift our heads to the stars, and see the Milky Way from the outside for the very first time.

It begins today. We're ready. Humanity's future is waiting.

I’ll see you in Andromeda.

Alec Ryder, Pathfinder - Ark Hyperion

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

frajaq posted:

Be funny as hell if it turns out the Ketts are just like us but coming from a galaxy on the opposite end of Andromeda and running away from, oh I don't know, the Creepers or some poo poo.

This realization leads to peace talks between the Council races and the Kett which quickly break down when the Kett ask which color the Council chose for their galaxy.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The faces were just as dead in the previous mass effects

it's so insanely more noticeable now that the faces are more realistic and detailed though. You expect those fuckers to animate more like real people and when they don't it's just disturbing :stare:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Where's this from?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's a kind of weird revisionism to "well the facial animations were always this bad, Mass Effect was never a good-looking series." Mass Effect 2 was maybe one of the most graphically impressive games of 2010 and still looks great today, especially compared to its contemporaries that don't hold up nearly as well. It had really strong art direction that made up for its shortcomings in other areas and ran well on even the most piece of poo poo system.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No one said anything about graphics, we're talking animations which has never been Mass Effects strong suite

Shepard had like 3 facial expressions, 2 of which he almost never used

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

There's a kind of weird revisionism to "well the facial animations were always this bad, Mass Effect was never a good-looking series." Mass Effect 2 was maybe one of the most graphically impressive games of 2010 and still looks great today, especially compared to its contemporaries that don't hold up nearly as well. It had really strong art direction that made up for its shortcomings in other areas and ran well on even the most piece of poo poo system.

But the humans talking in ME2 look to be on par with Andromeda

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

This is true with the exception of the generic NPCs whose faces were clearly made with little care in the same create-a-face editor from ME1. But all the important NPCs in ME2 have great facial animation for the time.

I also remember being at least a little baffled at how weird everyone's hands looked in Dragon Age 1 and 2 but how normal they looked in Mass Effect and thought maybe the Dragon Age team should take some notes.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

RBA Starblade posted:

This realization leads to peace talks between the Council races and the Kett which quickly break down when the Kett ask which color the Council chose for their galaxy.

"You'r people didn't pick the Orange ending?.........Savages"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zzulu posted:

No one said anything about graphics, we're talking animations which has never been Mass Effects strong suite

At the time that ME2 was relevant, nobody was doing facial animations better with the exception of games like Heavy Rain which used extensive motion capture and had much less content.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That doesn't mean much to me because facial animations basically stopped progressing outside of cutscenes after Half-Life 2

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

exquisite tea posted:

At the time that ME2 was relevant, nobody was doing facial animations better with the exception of games like Heavy Rain which used extensive motion capture and had much less content.

True but also :shepface:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

enraged_camel posted:

big reveal at the end of the game: that was the Council's plan all along

put all the insufferables in Milky Way on a space ship and send them off to another galaxy

Oh god we're gonna be the telephone sanitizers from Hitchhikers Guide.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Right, which is why, even though they were "bad," they were better than I think most would expect for the time. ME Andromeda also having bad facial animation stands out a lot more now that we've seen plenty of games with much better animation. Hell, even Inquisition's animation, which wasn't stellar, didn't stand out as especially bad or awkward, especially given the amount of content that required facial animation.

They could've compensated by having fewer humans and asari and more turians, krogans, etc. where the threshold for what looks "realistic" to our eyes is going to be much easier to hit.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
My favorite facial expression was the "Looking over your shoulder as you walk away" one that everyone used whenever they walked away.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I just got around to watching the launch trailer and it looks like they're going to dodge some of the potential awfulness of a "colonizers vs. natives" plot by having the bad guy race also not be native to the star system. So that makes it "colonizers vs. invaders" which is... I guess a bit more gray.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Harrow posted:

I just got around to watching the launch trailer and it looks like they're going to dodge some of the potential awfulness of a "colonizers vs. natives" plot by having the bad guy race also not be native to the star system. So that makes it "colonizers vs. invaders" which is... I guess a bit more gray.

I have the exact opposite take on it honestly. I think that a story where you're the colonizers and the conflict comes from the natives not accepting you the way you hoped could, if written well, be really interesting and different. Instead we get this "actually, you're saving the new galaxy from an invading menace" handwave thing

Of course, I wouldn't really have full faith in bioware to write that complicated story very well so I suppose this is for the best

Maybe some day they'll let obsidian do one of these games and we'll get a good story too

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How much of space can you realistically claim tho?

Like if I say "this universe now belongs to teh humans" are all other aliens now aggressive colonizing supervillains if they settle on some remote world [anywhere in the universe]

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ainsley McTree posted:

I have the exact opposite take on it honestly. I think that a story where you're the colonizers and the conflict comes from the natives not accepting you the way you hoped could, if written well, be really interesting and different. Instead we get this "actually, you're saving the new galaxy from an invading menace" handwave thing

Of course, I wouldn't really have full faith in bioware to write that complicated story very well so I suppose this is for the best

Maybe some day they'll let obsidian do one of these games and we'll get a good story too

Good thing Obsidian's making a game explicitly about colonialism as we speak.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The andromeda galaxy should probably be full to bursting with sentient life after spending 50 million years not getting reaped by reapers. Hell, the biggest plot hole so far is that we didn't see the Milky Way Initiative circa 10000 B.C.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Like if I say "this universe now belongs to teh humans" are all other aliens now aggressive colonizing supervillains if they settle on some remote world [anywhere in the universe]

As much of it as you can hold onto via murder

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

"Heavy themes"

Every night I lie awake, staring at the ceiling, thinking of the alien sex that could have been. Why Miranda, WHY

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Yeah, the Milky Way Imperialist Colonizers argument always fell apart because the Milky Way Council Species already don't contact or colonize systems with sentient pre-ftl life. Some imaginary space civilization colonizing Alpha Centauri would have no effect on humans.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Right, it's not that a story where you're trying to establish a colony and come into conflict with the natives is a bad thing--it could be handled well and explore all the complexities of being in that situation, especially when the Citadel races really have no other choice but to find somewhere to settle. But I don't have faith in Bioware to pull that off and I think it runs a big risk of having "evil natives" who you kill dozens and dozens of, and really, a story where your antagonists are people whose home you're trying to settle probably isn't a great fit for a shooting-focused action game anyway. Better to just sidestep it and relegate any conflicts with the native people of the star system--which I'm sure will be there--to subplots and side quests instead.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Good thing Obsidian's making a game explicitly about colonialism/the pirate's life is for me as we speak.

Fixed

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Ha ha. EA can go eat a bag of dicks. It kept re-directing both the main Mass Effect webpage and Origin to the loving ridiculous ripoff that is Super Deluxe Edition whenever I tried to pre-order and gave no options to only grab the standard edition. Just zero. Super Deluxe or nothing. Even searching specifically for the standard edition and selecting it would just redirect you to the Super Deluxe automatically. Then I managed to wrangle up a link via Google specifically to the standard edition webpage and put it in my cart, only to go and check out to find that it had been auto-replaced with the Super Deluxe edition in the hopes that I wouldn't notice.

That's whole new levels of shady. Ended up just buying it on Amazon since they just give you a key and gently caress off like God intended. Kind of hate myself for even buying it, but I want to play it and I can't in good conscience condone piracy just because a corporation is run by assholes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Esroc posted:

Ha ha. EA can go eat a bag of dicks. It kept re-directing both the main Mass Effect webpage and Origin to the loving ridiculous ripoff that is Super Deluxe Edition whenever I tried to pre-order and gave no options to only grab the standard edition. Just zero. Super Deluxe or nothing. Even searching specifically for the standard edition and selecting it would just redirect you to the Super Deluxe automatically. Then I managed to wrangle up a link via Google specifically to the standard edition webpage and put it in my cart, only to go and check out to find that it had been auto-replaced with the Super Deluxe edition in the hopes that I wouldn't notice.

That's whole new levels of shady. Ended up just buying it on Amazon since they just give you a key and gently caress off like God intended. Kind of hate myself for even buying it, but I want to play it and I can't in good conscience condone piracy just because a corporation is run by assholes.

Click the tab that says "standard edition"

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Esroc posted:

are you mentally handicapped

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

IcePhoenix posted:

But no, yeah, super shady. Fight the power.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

FunkMonkey posted:

"Heavy themes"

Every night I lie awake, staring at the ceiling, thinking of the alien sex that could have been. Why Miranda, WHY

I know what I am going to name my first hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

IcePhoenix posted:

It's not there on my end. It's certainly possible somethings wrong and I'm getting worked up over a simple glitch. But from where I'm sitting there are no tabs, no options, absolutely nothing I can select to access the cheaper editions and even using search to specifically bring up all the different editions in the search window just redirects me to Super Deluxe when I select standard or even "regular" deluxe. Doesn't matter though, getting it through Amazon worked just fine.