Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Uh, this wouldn't be the good and honorable BaronVonVaderham from our thread, would it? From a stream yesterday

"better lucky than good... hope the rest of your opponents have to mulligan and flood nonstop, otherwise I hope you enjoy scrubbing out with this garbage"

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Nah I used to work in Lexington and moved to the Asheville area a few years ago. My wife used to work in the courthouse in Davidson County, now she's at Buncombe. You going to the Charlotte open in June?

That's cool about Lucky's, saw that on Facebook. Used to go there when I was a part of the FGC for monthlies years ago, didn't even know they had closed.

Most likely, I can't say for certain, but provided the modern meta doesn't go tits up I should be there. And yeah, Lucky's was sold to a guy named Randy, who the community here really didn't like, so Lucky's went down from having 30-35 people FNMs to usually not even having enough people to fire. Than a guy named Billy took over it. Billy did a lot of work to heal the rift with the community and put his competition out of business by giving out boxes every FNM for the first month he was open, as well as other prizes, and doing the same thing on certain holidays. The store was doing pretty well under him, but he got hit hard by some employee incompetence, as well has some personal issues that bled over into the store. So he had to shut down. But now Lucky is coming back out of the woodwork to run the shop....so I have high hopes.

I never really participated at the FGC at Lucky's....it seems Lost Arc and Geeksboro has absorbed that community.

But yeah, here's hoping I see you at the open....I'll likely be piloting Fish as I always do.....oh and in case anyone is wondering....V Clique is SO MUCH BETTER than Kira

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 10, 2017

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Uh, this wouldn't be the good and honorable BaronVonVaderham from our thread, would it? From a stream yesterday

"better lucky than good... hope the rest of your opponents have to mulligan and flood nonstop, otherwise I hope you enjoy scrubbing out with this garbage"

lol

Holy poo poo, what a whiney rear end in a top hat.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Rinkles posted:

lol

Lmao

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Can confirm that guy (at least the MTGO name) whines and complains alot via chat however I never felt compelled to share it ITT

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Re: CFB doing GPs

I've never been to a CFB-run GP but anything that makes Pastimes run fewer events is fine by me.

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008
If anyone is looking for a super offbeat FNM crushinator, try the TurboFog deck that got played at GP Utrecht. List is in the Day 1 coverage on the mothership (would link but I'm on my phone), it has the same Dynavolt Tower / Fevered Visions wincon you all love with the added bonus of directly making GBS threads on both Mardu and all flavors of Saheeli. The tears can fill a venti Starbucks cup.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

lol

He also got turn 1 Stubborn Denial'd and went on tilt.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Can confirm that the BVV we know is just as whiny here so it's probably him

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
edit: double post

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

JohnnyHardcore posted:

If anyone is looking for a super offbeat FNM crushinator, try the TurboFog deck that got played at GP Utrecht. List is in the Day 1 coverage on the mothership (would link but I'm on my phone), it has the same Dynavolt Tower / Fevered Visions wincon you all love with the added bonus of directly making GBS threads on both Mardu and all flavors of Saheeli. The tears can fill a venti Starbucks cup.

I don't really like that build at all because I don't see a reason to use 4x Harnessed Lightning or Attune. The deck can generate a shitload of energy in other ways. However, yes this deck shits all over GB, Mardu, Saheeli. I pretty much go 3-1 or 4-0 and split prizes at FNM for like the last 5-6 weeks. This is what I run:

Spells (29)

1 Wildest Dreams
2 Fateful Showdown
3 Fumigate
3 Negate
4 Commencement of Festivities
4 Repel the Abominable
4 Encircling Fissure
4 Glimmer of Genius
4 Anticipate

Artifacts (4)

4 Dynavolt Tower

Enchantments (4)

4 Fevered Visions

Lands (23)

4 Aether Hub
1 Botanical Sanctum
2 Canopy Vista
1 Cinder Glade
3 Evolving Wilds
1 Forest
1 Inspiring Vantage
2 Island
2 Lumbering Falls
2 Mountain
1 Needle Spires
1 Plains
2 Wandering Fumarole

My SB differs almost every week based on what my local meta morphs into. It's mostly counters, 1 Sphinx of the Final Word and 2 Authority of the Consuls

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

sit on my Facebook posted:

This looks dope, I'm stealing it. How do you feel about a Llanowar Reborn or two? Turn 2 Hangarback/Ballista for 2 seems pretty good

Llanowar Reborn is pretty bad. You have enough lands coming into play tapped already and the benefit is too narrow.

Bow of Nylea is also some spicy tech. All but one mode is relevant. I feel like the deathtouch is very relevant and works well with hangerback and especially ballista.

Lawnie posted:

Thanks, this looks like a pretty sweet deck. I'm buying into modern without any staples on hand already, so I'll probably head down to the old LGS when my bonus comes in and start picking up pieces. I'll probably wait a month or so for the fetches and anything else from modern masters, though.

Again, its expensive landbase for what is tier 3.5 deck. Saying that, the expensive parts of this can easily go into a lot of other decks.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
You see a lot of salty people like that on MTGO. They're usually pretty fun to troll, actually.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

80s James Hetfield posted:

I don't really like that build at all because I don't see a reason to use 4x Harnessed Lightning or Attune. The deck can generate a shitload of energy in other ways. However, yes this deck shits all over GB, Mardu, Saheeli. I pretty much go 3-1 or 4-0 and split prizes at FNM for like the last 5-6 weeks. This is what I run:

I just played it at FMN with Temur Tower. I got to Release the Gremlins on 3 of his towers to win game 3. I screwed up sideboarding after game 1 because I killed really fast and he only got 4 lands out and never played a fog so I thought it was 4C Saheeli. I will need to bring more enchantment removal in the SB next time.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

You see a lot of salty people like that on MTGO. They're usually pretty fun to troll, actually.

Almost everyone I've played against never says anything, but the few who do respond like that guy did.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I usually restrict my chat to a glhf.

Also will usually comment positively if someone has managed to cobble together some insane synergy/combo in cube and is destroying me with it, because that's the best.

edit: Though I admit I did get a little whiny when I was drafting MM2015 and after clicking submit and having the pod start early, I still somehow was playing with every single card I drafted. My very first opponent, after I dropped my 3rd land said something disparaging about my "perfect mana", so I complained about my auto-submitted deck. Later when he had me beat for the match I asked him if he remembered if the deck building timer had run down to 0 or if it started early like I remembered, so I could file for comp. When he didn't answer I repeated "Hello?" "Hello, are you there?" for like five minutes before conceding.

odiv fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 10, 2017

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

I just played it at FMN with Temur Tower. I got to Release the Gremlins on 3 of his towers to win game 3. I screwed up sideboarding after game 1 because I killed really fast and he only got 4 lands out and never played a fog so I thought it was 4C Saheeli. I will need to bring more enchantment removal in the SB next time.
Releasing the gremlins is much fun. They really did a great job with that card.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah, I just don't feel that build goes wide enough. The version I play can kill you with Visions, Tower, Showdown and in the late game I can board wipe and crash in with ManLands

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

lol

it's an oddly specific name to have come up twice independently, and also that guy's a bad poster so sure, it's him and thats canon

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

80s James Hetfield posted:

Yeah, I just don't feel that build goes wide enough. The version I play can kill you with Visions, Tower, Showdown and in the late game I can board wipe and crash in with ManLands

Whoops, I meant I played AGAINST it with Temur Tower. This person had no manlands, so it was all-in. Game 2 he had two Fevered Visions out and I had 3 Harness Lightings and a Radiant Flames just rotting in my hand waiting for something. I took out all my creature removal for game 3 and had 9 counters in the deck. I won two matches tonight by stealing opposing Towers with Confiscation Coup.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Rinkles posted:

lol

lmao

if i had a nickel for every "better than lucky than good" i've gotten

edit: also lol at "this garbage" being what appears to be a pretty stock grixis control list.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 10, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
There's times where I'll grumble on chat in MTGO, but I pretty much always follow it up with an apology and a 'thanks for listening to me whine'.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
The best salty jackoff I've ever come across on modo was Gary_Krakower, who apparently is also an old-school Canadian pro (from the early 2000s, there's some GP reports on WoTC's website with him) who is such whiney bitch to anyone he loses to on modo that there's actually a reddit thread where one guy posted a screenshot of some pathetic poo poo Gary threw at him, and tons of other users come out of the woodwork with their own examples. His "thing" is calling his opponents ma'am (which he called me too) in the course of monstrously overstating how lucky they got / bad they are, while enumerating all the mistakes they've made. He just gets set off and won't stop passive-aggressively ranting with nearly no prompting from the other player, moreso than any other butthurt troll I've come across, and I come across many.

He also is in the top 5 for friendly sealed league trophies on mtgo right now, and based on his picture from articles in like 2002 he has to be pushing late 30s, which makes it even funnier

There are also apparently a number of examples from IRL tourney reports where his salt comes through in incidental quotes/interviews just as thick. Guy is just the posterchild for Grade A Magic Dickwad

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 10, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I think I've told this story before. The saltiest opponent I ever had on MTGO was when I was playing in a free sealed league for judges. My pool sucked, but I had a Battle of Wits, so I said gently caress it, it's free, and played my entire pool with enough lands to pad it out. I hit the Battle of Wits turn five naturally both games of my first match. My opponent said something like, "Great, I lost to the guy who's going to go 1-2 drop."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

I think I've told this story before. The saltiest opponent I ever had on MTGO was when I was playing in a free sealed league for judges. My pool sucked, but I had a Battle of Wits, so I said gently caress it, it's free, and played my entire pool with enough lands to pad it out. I hit the Battle of Wits turn five naturally both games of my first match. My opponent said something like, "Great, I lost to the guy who's going to go 1-2 drop."

tbf that's a perfectly reasonable reaction

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MiddleEastBeast posted:

edit: also lol at "this garbage" being what appears to be a pretty stock grixis control list.

It's actually a transplant of the Jund Deathshadow deck into Grixis.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

lmao

if i had a nickel for every "better than lucky than good" i've gotten

It's BVV, if it's not Pod it's worth dropping the game over

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm tilted just reading this, that's not being salty he's just stating the facts

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You can still be cheerful about it instead of boohooing the fact that you lost an otherwise "deserved win."

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
Ran a turbo fog list at FNM a couple weeks back, and was told by one of the Spikier players that it's bad etiquette to play a deck that slow and it could get me bumped for "intentionally wasting time."

When asked about lantern control, he said "yeah, but that deck's actually good."

*Magic players*

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 10, 2017

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I hope he told you that while pile shuffling.

edit: I did have someone explain mana weaving to me the other day, while they were doing it...

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

smokyprogg posted:

Ran a turbo fog list at FNM a couple weeks back, and was told by one of the Spikier players that it's bad etiquette to play a deck that slow and it could get me bumped for "intentionally wasting time."

When asked about lantern control, he said "yeah, but that deck's actually good."

*Magic players*

Did you tell him to go gently caress himself?

I don't know you guys deal with these lovely players at your LGSes without just playing the entire FNM with a middle finger raised.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

smokyprogg posted:

*Magic players*

I would have laughed in this guys face then made the games take extra long

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Rinkles posted:

It's actually a transplant of the Jund Deathshadow deck into Grixis.

heh didn't notice the literal Death's Shadow on the battlefield.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

guys I don't think you understand

he's playing the good cards in the wrong configuration

E: also BVV appears to be playing noted good deck ponza

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Elyv posted:

guys I don't think you understand

he's playing the good cards in the wrong configuration

E: also BVV appears to be playing noted good deck ponza

lol I was going to ask about that, but I assumed it was some scapeshift variant with a boarded Baloth that I was unfamiliar with that plays ... Utopia sprawl? never heard of ponza before this, what a hilarious pile of like 4th rate garbage

Creature (16)
4 Arbor Elf
2 Birds of Paradise
3 Inferno Titan
2 Stormbreath Dragon
1 Obstinate Baloth
1 Thragtusk
1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Acidic Slime
1 Eternal Witness
Sorcery (10)
4 Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
3 Bonfire of the Damned
2 Primal Command
1 Crumble to Dust
Instant (5)
3 Beast Within
2 Lightning Bolt
Enchantment (8)
4 Blood Moon
4 Utopia Sprawl
Land (21)
9 Forest
1 Mountain
3 Stomping Ground
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Verdant Catacombs
2 Misty Rainforest
60 Cards

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MiddleEastBeast posted:

lol I was going to ask about that, but I assumed it was some scapeshift variant with a boarded Baloth that I was unfamiliar with that plays ... Utopia sprawl? never heard of this ponza pile, what a hilarious pile of like 4th rate garbage

Creature (16)
4 Arbor Elf
2 Birds of Paradise
3 Inferno Titan
2 Stormbreath Dragon
1 Obstinate Baloth
1 Thragtusk
1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Acidic Slime
1 Eternal Witness
Sorcery (10)
4 Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
3 Bonfire of the Damned
2 Primal Command
1 Crumble to Dust
Instant (5)
3 Beast Within
2 Lightning Bolt
Enchantment (8)
4 Blood Moon
4 Utopia Sprawl
Land (21)
9 Forest
1 Mountain
3 Stomping Ground
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Verdant Catacombs
2 Misty Rainforest
60 Cards

Seems like a deck that might not be a good choice if you hate losing.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Why is it called ponza?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cactrot posted:

Why is it called ponza?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ1W29eJdHg&t=462s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Is there an answer that doesn't involve an hour long YouTube video?

• Locked thread