Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've been a groomsman and I've never had to help set up poo poo lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
wedding slave

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You know, Ive got all 400 pages of Bride Magazine here on my desk and after going through it there is nothing about making guests do your work that you didnt tell them theyd have to do so these people have to be getting this idea from somewhere else or chemtrails really work but they make you an rear end in a top hat about your wedding.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
We are having friends help make decorations and stuff but uhhh

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

You know, Ive got all 400 pages of Bride Magazine here on my desk and after going through it there is nothing about making guests do your work that you didnt tell them theyd have to do so these people have to be getting this idea from somewhere else or chemtrails really work but they make you an rear end in a top hat about your wedding.

People have heard weddings cost too much and agree because they want to pay less, but they don't want to make any sacrifices to how their dream plays out, so they outsource to a new labor market

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If the average young couple could outsource all this work to chinese migrant laborers they ... still wouldn't because their friends will do it for even less than 35 cents a day apparently

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Dress woes. To answer your question, ma'am, yes, I think you are being crazy.

quote:

FH's step-sister wants to wear a white floral dress to our wedding.

u/DancingNancy4136

Am I being a bridezilla? Am I crazy for thinking that just because it has a few flowers on it that it's not any less white and shouldn't be worn to a wedding?

Rather than asking me, "Amy" posts a facebook status: "Looking for opinions. Is it OK to wear a white dress to a wedding IF there is a pattern or print on it? I'm not talking about plain white."

By the time I saw it, there were already a bunch of comments saying that it was totally fine. HOLD THE PHONE. I don't have Amy's number and she and FH aren't close at all so I commented "Some brides really, really care and other's don't. If you're not sure which she is, I wouldn't chance it." Of course she responds to my comment and says "Well, it's kind of your wedding I'm asking about, so noted. I fell in love with this dress though!" she posts a picture of a white dress with pink flowers on it.

Her friend then swoops in and responds to my comment and says "That dress is totally appropriate! So cute!" Ummm... beotch! Did you not just read that it's my wedding and I advised against it nicely? Of course I had to reply with a nicey-nice comment noting that my dress isn't solid white either and that I want to stand out on my day.

I woke up this morning and people are still commenting and telling her that it's ok to wear it. GRR. At least she did comment "the bride has spoken!" so she is reasonable and not pressing it. I'm just irritated that if I hadn't been on facebook last night she would have worn it, and that even after I said no and it was put out there that it was for my wedding, people still encouraged it.

I'm just flabbergasted. It's just been common knowledge to me not to do it. I don't care if there are some flowers on it, it's still white! More white than mine, actually, because mine is ivory lace with a champagne satin under it! Even before I was in a relationship, I cringed when I saw white or cream or ivory worn to weddings. Just let me have my time in the spotlight on my day that I put blood, sweat, tears, and half my salary into.

Am I the only one?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

areyoucontagious posted:

what a b

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Maybe dont put half your salary into your wedding? I know its crazy, but were all just brainstorming here.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

areyoucontagious posted:

it sounds like she got her way and the other lady isn't pushing it so idk what the issue is?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

It is generally considered rude to wear white to a wedding if you are not the bride. Level of outrage is out of control though.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
The only time I've ever felt like helping out at an event that I was invited as a guest to was my friend's mom's memorial service, and that was just because my friend was having a tough time. I think I'd balk at anything more than "help Nana to her seat, please?" if the bride or groom asked me at a wedding.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Maybe dont put half your salary into your wedding? I know its crazy, but were all just brainstorming here.

but this $35,000 oscar de la renta gown is peeeerfect for my special daaayyy

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

zakharov posted:

It is generally considered rude to wear white to a wedding if you are not the bride. Level of outrage is out of control though.

the more you know

Barudak
May 7, 2007

zakharov posted:

Well duh, its a funeral color and implies you hope the bride and groom will die. Only do this if you are a villain and your mastery of the Six Sword Stance is unassailable.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
MY WEDDING

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
work at an upscale wedding venue. can confirm weddings make people bad and crazy.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Fullhouse posted:

it sounds like she got her way and the other lady isn't pushing it so idk what the issue is?

She's mad because the girl didn't ask her directly and it's a public facebook post and people are commenting on it to tell the girl she should wear it and calling the bride names for saying she shouldn't. I can understand the frustration but this could have been avoided by sending her a private message (since she apparently can't get her phone number even though she's going to her wedding) explaining her desire for no one else to wear white even if it has a print on it.

But it's largely a non issue since the girl has said she won't wear it. Though an update where she shows up in the dress anyways would be hilarious to read.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Does it really matter though? Even if you're wearing white you probably won't upstage the bride. Everyone is still going to be looking at her because, um, she's the bride.

Also yeah I've also been a groomsman and beyond "help lift heavy thing" we mostly just had to stay out of the way of all people doing the actual work.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I'm a dude so I'm inherently a sexist rear end but I don't get the hate. if a guest shows up in a lacy white puffy dress with a train, yeah, that's lame and crazy. But I don't think a simple white dress is taking away from the bride at all? Like no one is going to be thinking oh, is that woman in white and holding a purse next to a man in a blazer getting married? Or that woman at the front with the bouquet? drat all these white dresses!

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

fruit on the bottom posted:

Does it really matter though? Even if you're wearing white you probably won't upstage the bride. Everyone is still going to be looking at her because, um, she's the bride.

Also yeah I've also been a groomsman and beyond "help lift heavy thing" we mostly just had to stay out of the way of all people doing the actual work.

If you wear white to a wedding and you are not the bride, you will be judged. It's not an issue of upstaging the bride, it's just a matter of it being an accepted cultural norm. An aunt of mine did it once to a cousin's wedding and it made her look petty and weird. (Unsurprisingly, she is petty and weird.)

But to answer your question, no it doesn't matter nothing matters.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well it's also the tone, and the bride being all, well MY dress also has a PRINT so

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Just wear a white wedding dress you dink who cares

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Pick posted:

Just wear a white wedding dress you dink who cares

But this bubbly champagne-eggshell mix is so much more ME

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

The only person that should be wearing white at a wedding besides the bride is the grooms mother and it better be a more expensive wedding gown or else you don't love me, my child.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

I Was The Fury posted:

The only person that should be wearing white at a wedding besides the bride is the grooms mother and it better be a more expensive wedding gown or else you don't love me, my child.

And if there's not a second bouquet throw I'm cutting you out of my will

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what aspect of the bad party that costs as much as a down payment on a house where a couple exchanges gemstones that cost as much as a new car makes you think any part of it is founded in reason

it's a bunch of doofy bullshit mostly recently invented to separate fools from their money but even the women who don't need every goofy rear end rule enforced to the letter to feel 'legitimate' typically have to deal with a shrieking harpy swarm of other women who do think that way, just wear the loving blue dress for a day dude.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 10, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

areyoucontagious posted:

I'm a dude so I'm inherently a sexist rear end but I don't get the hate. if a guest shows up in a lacy white puffy dress with a train, yeah, that's lame and crazy. But I don't think a simple white dress is taking away from the bride at all? Like no one is going to be thinking oh, is that woman in white and holding a purse next to a man in a blazer getting married? Or that woman at the front with the bouquet? drat all these white dresses!

weddings can make people go completely apeshit

we had a courthouse wedding, then we rented the event room at a bar for the reception. $1000 total for the space, drinks and food. some of my family thought it was distasteful not to celebrate more lavishly but gently caress em, thats not how me or my wife do things

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don't know about you but my wedding was a loving killer party, man, and most that I attend are decent to awesome.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Weddings make others nosy and judgmental whether you're having a big or small one. We're planning one on the larger side because we're only going to get to do this once and we like planning parties. The Internet seems to have engendered a race to the bottom to care as little as possible about weddings though. Go big, go small, who cares?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

areyoucontagious posted:

Some brides don't care, hell I saw a story once where the bride requested everyone to wear white...but some brides do care and it's an extremely common tradition that is very well known. I think the best way to approach it as a guest is that it's pretty easy to not wear a white dress to a wedding that someone is paying hundreds of dollars for you to attend, also assuming that you like/care about this person it's easy to choose the option that won't anger/stress them out on their wedding day.

Basically, in the same vein as what's the big deal, why make it a deal when it's really easy to just avoid?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Signs the people on the forums are turning 30: In any thread, any time weddings come up, a 3-page derail starts about each poster's wedding.

In 2005 when I signed up it was the same with like, college applications and SATs. (1500 on the old one baby oooh yeah)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Well duh, its a funeral color and implies you hope the bride and groom will die. Only do this if you are a villain and your mastery of the Six Sword Stance is unassailable.

btw you don't have to address this but my suspicion is you're one of the people who sets up study abroad programs as a university representative :shrug:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Signs the people on the forums are turning 30: In any thread, any time weddings come up, a 3-page derail starts about each poster's wedding.

In 2005 when I signed up it was the same with like, college applications and SATs. (1500 on the old one baby oooh yeah)

Look at this newbie

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

wait till it's more common than not for goons to have kids

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

(1500 on the old one baby oooh yeah)

You should join Mensa! :agesilaus:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

In fact there used to be a yearly GBS thread about going off to college, with memes like "leave your door open" and sage advice like "bring an old video game console people will love it". That hasn't happened in forever, where has the time gone?

food court bailiff posted:

You should join Mensa! :agesilaus:
When I became a mod I considered attempting to join a more exclusive high IQ society as a joke at franco's expense but :effort:.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

btw you don't have to address this but my suspicion is you're one of the people who sets up study abroad programs as a university representative :shrug:

Nah, Im in advertising. Dunno how I pinged study abroad.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's a bunch of doofy bullshit mostly recently invented to separate fools from their money but even the women who don't need every goofy rear end rule enforced to the letter to feel 'legitimate' typically have to deal with a shrieking harpy swarm of other women who do think that way, just wear the loving blue dress for a day dude.

:stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Nah, Im in advertising. Dunno how I pinged study abroad.

You seem to know craploads about international university life specifically.

Advertising is cool and interesting though. (Not a joke.)