Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Luminaflare posted:

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, feel free to ask for anything specific.

You've got a broken spoiler tag in there. It's not spoiling anything terrible, but I figured you'd want to know since it was probably an accident :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Ainsley McTree posted:

You've got a broken spoiler tag in there. It's not spoiling anything terrible, but I figured you'd want to know since it was probably an accident :)

Whoops. Fixed it now. Like you said, it's not much of a spoiler but people might prefer to find out themselves.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BotW - really, don't read tips, you don't have to and the game is full of so many cool little discoveries that it's not like you'll be bored or lost without knowing right where the good equipment is hidden. It's seriously the most ridiculously intuitive game I've ever played.

Like, this is the only tip I'd really consider worthwhile (updated a bit):

quote:

Yes, you can probably do that crazy thing you're thinking of to that hapless Moblin/Lizalfos/Wizrobe/tree/crate/dam/waterfall/chest/wildlife. Try it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

PJOmega posted:

Anything for Horizon: Zero Dawn?

- Do the hunting lodge quests, they are a pile of XP.

- Always keep at least one of every item to trade for gear

- Make sure you clear the sidequests in the first area, one give you an upgrade to your spear that you can't get any other way.

- Drawing back a shot is for accuracy, not damage. Feel free to shoot wildly if you are close enough.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

- Always keep at least one of every item to trade for gear

I assume that just means the ones that say "Trading with Merchants" on them, not "Selling for Metal Shards" right? I keep the former, and sell everything of the latter.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yes, anything that's only "Sell for shards" is vendor trash, and most of the machine components can also be sold off as you progress further into the game and need items from scarier robots to buy gear.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Breath of the Wild; aka "What to do once you're done on the Great Plateau."

Just to add one thing to this:

-At Hateno Village there is an evil shrine statue that will allow you to respec your stamina/heart meter off the beaten path as you enter the village from the main road, a child will guide you there with a quest.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

juliuspringle posted:

Just to be sure I understand. There is no downside to messing up at stealth and shooting my way to victory in Alpha Protocol right? I tend to get all ocd with that stuff and I don't want to waste time reloading if it doesn't matter.

Something to be aware of if you're going to Stealth until caught, you can switch out weapon and armor mods mid mission. By all means, take off the silencer for something that adds damage, and stick some loud Damage Reduction parts in.

On that note, Damage Reduction is far more important for tanking than Stamina, and since Damage Reduction comes exclusively from armor mods, Combat Armor is pretty useless.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Jegan posted:

Something to be aware of if you're going to Stealth until caught, you can switch out weapon and armor mods mid mission. By all means, take off the silencer for something that adds damage, and stick some loud Damage Reduction parts in.

I've played this game countless times, including now, and didn't know this. How do you change mid mission? The closest I've came is gaining a level and upgrading my skills at a checkpoint.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

food court bailiff posted:

BotW - really, don't read tips, you don't have to and the game is full of so many cool little discoveries that it's not like you'll be bored or lost without knowing right where the good equipment is hidden. It's seriously the most ridiculously intuitive game I've ever played.

Like, this is the only tip I'd really consider worthwhile (updated a bit):

The stuff I put in the post is stuff that gets asked repeatedly in the BoTW thread over and over from new players.

hoverboard Humpty-Dumpty
Sep 5, 2007

A few small tips for Torment: Tides of Numenera

-This game rewards repetition. Asking the same questions, attempting the same actions or even resolving the same puzzles when the option is given will get you more flavor, lore or items. Even the nameless NPCs have a bunch of unique things to say if you keep clicking.
-While a bunch of the time failing a stat check just makes you reroll at a stat point cost, in Circus Minor you get an extra skill point in quick fingers if you fail the might check on the pile of rocks in the upper left, succeeding only gives some shins.
-At least in Sagus Cliffs having a point in perception gives a fair number of extra dialogue choices.
-While I've heard Rhin (the little girl) eventually becomes decent in combat as some kinda cipher megauser, some might not want to wait and would rather have her leave the party (At which point she disappears forever). If you want to remove her without feeling bad, talk to the kid named Jherem running around the merchant stalls in bottom right Circus Minor. If you follow that chain of conversation up to Alcen Perie she'll get adopted and if you ask the Council Clerk in Government Square you can learn more about what happens to her.

hoverboard Humpty-Dumpty fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 10, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jegan posted:

On that note, Damage Reduction is far more important for tanking than Stamina, and since Damage Reduction comes exclusively from armor mods, Combat Armor is pretty useless.

tfw u get the perk for getting shot a ton of times and get free stamina, and then health doe :v:

e: I swear there were a couple skills in, what was it, the tree where the symbol is a gear(technician?) that gives flat DR to all armor.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anything for The Flame in the Flood?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Mystic Stylez posted:

Dragon Dogma's Before I Play page looks the size of a walkthrough instead of a handful of tips. Any really important stuff to know?

The wiki page being unmanageable, and having to ask for tips again in the thread, is pretty much the worst case scenario.

So I'm going to start being more strict with the tips I add to the wiki. Generally it's easy to tell if tips are for before you play the game, or after you've been playing for a while.

I'll start not adding the tips that are for people who have been playing for a while.

I've edited the Dragon's Dogma page to take out any tips that I thought weren't suitable.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It might be better to just have more than one section on the page for games like that -- one for tips for basic, completely new players and one for tips that are still good to know but might be more useful further in. I think it's more helpful in the long run to do that instead of outright removing helpful information from the page, but that might just be me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It should probably be on separate tabs if we do that. I know that even if it's sorted, for me, seeing a huge-rear end wall of text is intimidating as hell.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

flatluigi posted:

It might be better to just have more than one section on the page for games like that -- one for tips for basic, completely new players and one for tips that are still good to know but might be more useful further in. I think it's more helpful in the long run to do that instead of outright removing helpful information from the page, but that might just be me.

I appreciate this argument, but I feel like tips about a game all the way through are what GameFAQs is for.

I don't think the wiki should try to compete with that. Simple and focused is effective, I've found.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think the point is to do two things:
Identify common questions that new players have, or things they might overlook. "You can access a map of the world if you hold the select button outside of town." Or "There are multiple pages on the nega-skill menu, some important early skills are on page 2 and 3"

It's also to help players avoid missing important items that can't be gotten later, or avoid losing important things.
"Make sure to talk to the novice gardener at the end of act 2, otherwise you miss out on the forest dungeon much later."
"You can safely sell any item that is grey in color, with the exception of 'notable trinkets,' which can only be farmed from early enemies or in the post-game dungeon and they're used for crafting powerful items."

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Yeah, I've always thought of this thread as a mix between "getting started" and "these are the dumb mistakes you can make that won't be fixable. Don't do that/make sure to do this other thing."

Some games just have way too much of the latter. (In which case, if listing them all isn't worthwhile, it's probably worth pointing out that "there's a whole lot of that kind of poo poo and you can learn more [somewhere.]"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

Yeah, I've always thought of this thread as a mix between "getting started" and "these are the dumb mistakes you can make that won't be fixable. Don't do that/make sure to do this other thing."

Some games just have way too much of the latter. (In which case, if listing them all isn't worthwhile, it's probably worth pointing out that "there's a whole lot of that kind of poo poo and you can learn more [somewhere.]"

Yeah, I feel like sometimes a tip might not come up until later in the game, but it's still definitely something that a first-time player should know. Like I've recently been playing mass effect again, and one thing I'd definitely want to know as a new player is that starting the reaper IFF mission begins a countdown clock toward the end of the game. It's not something that comes up until literally the end of the game, but it's still kind of a big deal, and definitely something that someone playing the game for the first time may want to know.

I dunno. It's a judgment call. If game pages are getting just way too big and unwieldy and something has to go, then yeah, I'd agree that later game tips would be the best candidates I suppose.

It's also not my website and I'm not holding anything against you running it the way you want, I'm just weighing in :)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

MockingQuantum posted:

Anything for The Flame in the Flood?

You heal injuries by going to the correct page of your menu that lists them, and clicking on an item to use to fix it. If there are multple items listed, up to you which you use.
I thiiink the condition with have an icon at the end of it's bar if it progresses, and not if it fades with time.

Stuff in dog backpack carries over between runs.

If you really want more mold, mulberries go off relatively fast.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

flatluigi posted:

I disagree. If I want in-depth stuff, I look up a guide. This is for things that you should know when starting, strictly spoiler-free.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
When I say that, I'm mostly thinking stuff like dumb mistakes, easily missable things, stuff like that where you'd go 'man I wish I knew about this before I started playing." That can be really basic tips, but it can also be important information to know that becomes relevant partway through the game -- the Mass Effect 2 finale timer is a good example.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

These are all good points.

I like to have the best possible run in a game. For example, in Mass Effect I looked up how to keep as many party members alive throughout the trilogy, while I was playing, because the thought of losing a party member permanently bothered me.

So I personally appreciate tips about that.

On the other hand, not everyone wants to maximise their play through. I never go for 100% completion, for example, so I wouldn't care about tips which help you get something that's missable.

I'm just worried that if the wiki pages cater to all approaches, up to and including completionists, it'll get harder to manage and harder to use.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The unfortunate thing about Mass Effect is that it's way more interesting if certain party members are dead in ME3, but there's no incentive to doing that in ME2, and in fact it's rather easy to save everybody just by playing the game to completion in the way that anybody would.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Personally I just use my own judgment depending on the game and the advice in question. I generally prioritize early-game/universal stuff, but I did for example add in a mention about having to find the well-hidden keys to the DLC areas in the Scholar of the First Sin -version of Dark Souls 2 even though that's not relevant until quite late into the game because it felt like something one should at least be aware of. I did put it to the bottom of the list though.

Games are so different that it's tricky to figure out universal standards about what's "too advanced" or "too late in the game" or what have you.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

The best use of the wiki is for making explicit information that the game won't/can't tell you clearly. Missables, trap options, particularly useful mods/patches - this is stuff that you won't find without spoilers elsewhere. General tactical advice is easier to find and maybe doesn't always need to be on here, at least not in much detail. Advice on how to play/best enjoy is even more dubious.

I think it only needs to be an issue with long pages. A game with a couple of points of advice doesn't need to be as ruthlessly edited as e.g. Alpha Protocol, which is full of information that's redundant, irrelevant or better suited for an actual walkthrough.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Lt. Danger posted:

The best use of the wiki is for making explicit information that the game won't/can't tell you clearly. Missables, trap options, particularly useful mods/patches - this is stuff that you won't find without spoilers elsewhere. General tactical advice is easier to find and maybe doesn't always need to be on here, at least not in much detail. Advice on how to play/best enjoy is even more dubious.

Basically this. Things that the game gives you little or no information on, and if chosen will gently caress you up.

For example, for Fallout 4: do not take the perks Lead Belly, Basher, Aquaboy, Ricochet, or VANS. They are all totally useless and you can't respec without console commands or mods. Also, if you are wandering around and see a hatch in the ground labeled "hatch", do not click it, you will die.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gynovore posted:

Basically this. Things that the game gives you little or no information on, and if chosen will gently caress you up.

For example, for Fallout 4: do not take the perks Lead Belly, Basher, Aquaboy, Ricochet, or VANS. They are all totally useless and you can't respec without console commands or mods. Also, if you are wandering around and see a hatch in the ground labeled "hatch", do not click it, you will die.

There's no level cap in Fallout 4 though, so how badly do poor perk choices REALLY screw you?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Gynovore posted:

Also, if you are wandering around and see a hatch in the ground labeled "hatch", do not click it, you will die.
Nah, this only makes you reload your last save, and immediate fuckups are part of the experience.
Now if said hatch gave you non-obvious poison that kills you half an hour later, probably when you'd have overwritten your save...

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

limp_cheese posted:

I've played this game countless times, including now, and didn't know this. How do you change mid mission? The closest I've came is gaining a level and upgrading my skills at a checkpoint.

On PC you can just push i to bring up your inventory and switch out your mods there. You can't swap out the actual weapons and armor or gadgets though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Gynovore posted:

I probably wouldn't include either of those as is. Regarding the former, as I've said before I usually prefer giving information and recommendations over straight up telling people what to pick or not pick at least without elaborating why. How optimally people like to play varies and there are better websites for anyone looking for detailed character builds, so I tend to only mention individual perks/talents/whatever if they stand out as especially impactful or worthwhile.

The latter on the other hand is super specific and practically irrelevant anyway, one death doesn't mean enough in a game like that to dedicate an individual tip for it. Basically what Pierzak said, if it had more serious consequences or it was a recurring element it'd be a different matter.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

Keeshhound posted:

There's no level cap in Fallout 4 though, so how badly do poor perk choices REALLY screw you?

If you spend all your perks on things that don't actually help you in combat, then, yeah, you're gonna make it harder than it needs to be.

But my personal tip for fallout 4/Skyrim/any Bethesda game would be: don't pick things up unless you know they'll be useful, and even then, if you're running out of room, it's OK to leave almost anything behind. Even legendary items aren't usually that good or rare. I wasted tons of time with totally unnecessary inventory management when I first started out because I came from games where you're expected to be a human vacuum cleaner that leaves nothing behind.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Keeshhound posted:

Every single time I play, regardless of style, it's not until level 40 or so that I run out of good perk choices. Therefore, if you choose a lovely perk at level 2, you're gimped for the next 38 levels. Granted the default difficulty is pretty easy, so you're not gimped to the point of being unplayable, but it still sucks to be staring at that lovely perk every level.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Madoushi posted:

Anything for Project Highrise?

- You can manually save your game; there is an icon in the lower right of the screen. This is one of the most asked about things on the Steam forums, and I sure never saw it until it was pointed out to me.

- Careful about your Prestige points. Some tenants are only happy if you have a certain level of prestige and your prestige drops if people move out, so you may quickly find yourself with a landslide of people leaving because your prestige is dropping (because people keep leaving (which lowers your prestige (which makes people leave (which lowers your prestige (etc))))). The easiest way to alleviate this is to always have an art fund so you can throw down a bunch of paintings or statues to make up the difference.

- You only need two transformers on each floor -- the same one can be used for cable, phones and electricity and the other can be used for water and gas. You don't need a closet for each type.

- Don't take contracts you don't think you'll finish soon, or you'll end up with this stupid objective that may take you forever to do while there is another waiting for you that you could actually finish. You'll discover toward the late game a lot of instant-win contracts because all they require is a certain population level, or whatever. They're a great way to make quick cash in a pinch.

- Keep an eye on what the needs of your office folk are. Not all large size offices are the same; a financial office will need different amenities than a legal one. I have frequently found that my entire floor of offices are pissed because I didn't realize they all needed limo service or some poo poo I never realized was a thing at the time.

- The beginning of the game will probably go VERY slow. You don't have much cash, your tower isn't that big, you're not making much money, and the fastest you can make time go is still pretty slow. Don't get carried away; the days are long and you will probably have need of that extra 500 bux you got, so don't go spending it at 2:00 AM and have nothing else to do for 22 hours of gametime. 22 hours in which your residents are pissed for some reason you can't fix because you're broke.

EDIT:

- Oh, and renovate whenever possible. For some reason this tower is prone to some kind of nuclear waste catastrophe every other day. Tenants will quickly leave if their place is dirty, and in the first few days of your tower probably 80% of your income will go just toward this. It will gently caress you hard in the beginning, but it doesn't scale too well so after a while it's a small expense.

credburn fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 11, 2017

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Gynovore posted:

Also, if you are wandering around and see a hatch in the ground labeled "hatch", do not click it, you will die.

What is this about?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Gynovore posted:

Aquaboy can be useful depending on your play style. But it is a quality of life perk that can be useful to remove a potential resource drain, at least for the first rank. The other perks though are much more questionable. Basher, for example, doesn't scale well at all.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Kanfy posted:

I usually prefer giving information and recommendations over straight up telling people what to pick or not pick at least without elaborating why.
I'd keep those warnings when the picks literally do not do anything, as in they're stuff left over from the dev process, like some old games have.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Like Final Fantasy on the NES, there are spells that don't do anything. TMPR, SABR, and LOCK are totally broken. LOK2 actually buffs enemies instead of debuffing.
Houses only recover spell points if you save, and then you have to save again because it saves before restoring the spell points.

The INT stat is broken, so Red Mage spells work just as well as Black or White mage spells, although this is sort of a pointless tip because a new player has limited control over stats.

A lot of weapons are supposed to do bonus damage to certain enemy types, they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Like Final Fantasy on the NES, there are spells that don't do anything. TMPR, SABR, and LOCK are totally broken. LOK2 actually buffs enemies instead of debuffing.
Houses only recover spell points if you save, and then you have to save again because it saves before restoring the spell points.

The INT stat is broken, so Red Mage spells work just as well as Black or White mage spells, although this is sort of a pointless tip because a new player has limited control over stats.

A lot of weapons are supposed to do bonus damage to certain enemy types, they don't.

And weapons you get later always have a higher chance to crit, because the game accidentally uses the weapon's ID in the list as its crit chance rather than the actual crit stat.