Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

Not having the R2/L2 seems like a huge dealbreaker. How do you work around it?

The little thumb stick acts as the L2/R2. Pushing left or right uses one, pushing up uses both at once. It's not as bad as it sounds for most games (games like MGS or Power Shovel are totally playable and you can come close to forgetting that you're using a hanky control scheme) but I would never play Megaman Legends on a PSP or other games that require the D-Pad and the 2nd shoulder buttons at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Thank you, you're a saint.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

1.19 gigabyte text file :stonklol:

You know you've done too much IT work when you go, "1.19 gigs? I guess he must have had brief logging on."

Spoderman posted:

The little thumb stick acts as the L2/R2. Pushing left or right uses one, pushing up uses both at once. It's not as bad as it sounds for most games (games like MGS or Power Shovel are totally playable and you can come close to forgetting that you're using a hanky control scheme) but I would never play Megaman Legends on a PSP or other games that require the D-Pad and the 2nd shoulder buttons at the same time.

The official emulator lets you map if the PSP triggers are the 1 or 2 buttons, IIRC, though there's going to be plenty of games where you'd still need to be an octopus to manage things.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm confused. Are you guys talking about an emulator or is the PSP natively backwards compatible with PS1 games?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Mak0rz posted:

I'm confused. Are you guys talking about an emulator or is the PSP natively backwards compatible with PS1 games?

It's natively playing ROMs, so yes.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

worthless. posted:

It's natively playing ROMs, so yes.

I had no idea this was a feature of the PSP. I never did own one but I feel like this is something I would have read about at some point. Did they just expect people to rip their own ISOs and put them on a memory stick or what?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

I had no idea this was a feature of the PSP. I never did own one but I feel like this is something I would have read about at some point. Did they just expect people to rip their own ISOs and put them on a memory stick or what?

Not exactly. You have to softmod your PSP to do this. It's playing natively, but it's not an intended feature or anything like that. If I remember correctly you could buy a lot of PS1 games on the PSN market specifically for PSP, but it would be a literal PS1 ISO, with maybe some adjusted controls. Circumventing DRM means you can use its actual hardware to play PS1 games.

At least early on. Later models just emulate I think.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

The native support was just buying a PS1 classic off of PSN and playing it that way. Eventually people reverse engineered those emulators and you could play whatever PS1 game you wanted as long as you ripped it and put it in a specific format for a hacked PSP to play.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phantasium posted:

The native support was just buying a PS1 classic off of PSN and playing it that way. Eventually people reverse engineered those emulators and you could play whatever PS1 game you wanted as long as you ripped it and put it in a specific format for a hacked PSP to play.

IIRC the PSP itself straight-up has something like the PS1 core built into it and the "emulator" is just activating that. Regardless of how it's doing it, everything runs pretty much exactly like it does on a stock PS1, including composite and component out if you have a non-1000 series PSP and the right TV Out cable, and to my knowledge there's no game which doesn't work with it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have an official 360 wireless controller with an official 360 USB dongle receiver for Windows that used to work with my Windows Vista machine, but I can't get it to work with my Widows 10 laptop

From what I read online it's something to do with the dongle not handling properly on a 64-bit operating system

Is there any workaround for this, or should I just junk the controller?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

I have an official 360 wireless controller with an official 360 USB dongle receiver for Windows that used to work with my Windows Vista machine, but I can't get it to work with my Widows 10 laptop

From what I read online it's something to do with the dongle not handling properly on a 64-bit operating system

Is there any workaround for this, or should I just junk the controller?

Uh, I used the official dongle with Win7 64 bit with no trouble. I could see it being a Win10 issue, but they were making those dongles when 64 bit was already a standard.

I'll try plugging mine into my Windows 10 machine when I get home and see if it finds the driver.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wa27 posted:

Uh, I used the official dongle with Win7 64 bit with no trouble. I could see it being a Win10 issue, but they were making those dongles when 64 bit was already a standard.

I'll try plugging mine into my Windows 10 machine when I get home and see if it finds the driver.

Ok cool - thanks

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah they work for sure on Win7 x64, which you should be running anyway :colbert:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It should work, try moving it around ports. Apparently the Chinese clones don't work well on Windows 10 though.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
I know I was using a cheap Chinese clone of the 360 wireless receiver on Win10 around when Win10 released. Honestly, I've never understood the hatred for the unofficial dongles. Mine has never been a problem in any situation, including working without any special assistance on an Android box where I was certain it was going to give me problems. You just plug the thing in, press the pair button on both dongle and controller, and from there it just works.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mak0rz posted:

Uh, Sony expected you to pay them money for the games. It's just that people figured out how to put their own ISOs on instead of buying the small number of PS1 games Sony officially had on the store.

And Sony couldn't really patch the systems to close this loophole without loving up how their older PS1 game sales were delivered, which was too much work and money for them to deal with.

It's like how it was really easy to pirate games on the Dreamcast not by Sega's intention, but because they wanted to support a weird interactive CD standard that never really got used.

univbee posted:

IIRC the PSP itself straight-up has something like the PS1 core built into it and the "emulator" is just activating that. Regardless of how it's doing it, everything runs pretty much exactly like it does on a stock PS1, including composite and component out if you have a non-1000 series PSP and the right TV Out cable, and to my knowledge there's no game which doesn't work with it.

The PSP's CPU is very similar to an advanced version of the PS1 CPU, both being based on the MIPS basic core design - the PS1 being the R3000 basic core and the PSP being the R4000 basic core. The instruction set available on the R4000 core the PSP uses contains all instructions implemented on the PS1 CPU, making software compatibility very easy to achieve. The PSP then makes use of the fact that the CPU in it operates about 6.5x-10x faster clock rate depending on the mode it's been set in, and uses this extra power to handle emulation of things like the original PS1's sound and video and I/O chips while it executes the CPU code natively.

It is similar to how Nintendo chose to achieve backwards compatibility on the Wii and Wii U with the GameCube, via using the same PowerPC basic core design throughout all of them, although Nintendo had less need to emulate the previous video chips since the GPUs they chose to use for the Wii and Wii U were designed to support everything in the GameCube GPU. So the Wii can use native code execution on the CPU and mostly native code execution in the GPU for GameCube titles, where a PSP must do emulation for most of the GPU functionality of the PS1.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not only should the 360 dongle work, it was even the only option for some win10-specific games like Killer Instinct when it first launched.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jadius posted:

I know I was using a cheap Chinese clone of the 360 wireless receiver on Win10 around when Win10 released. Honestly, I've never understood the hatred for the unofficial dongles. Mine has never been a problem in any situation, including working without any special assistance on an Android box where I was certain it was going to give me problems. You just plug the thing in, press the pair button on both dongle and controller, and from there it just works.

If it works, then I don't see any problem. It's not like the official ones were great. I had to bridge the 2mm fuse on mine because it burned out.

Also, I just plugged it in to a win10 machine and it recognized it right away.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wa27 posted:

If it works, then I don't see any problem. It's not like the official ones were great. I had to bridge the 2mm fuse on mine because it burned out.

Also, I just plugged it in to a win10 machine and it recognized it right away.

For me it makes the "hey something connected!" jingle but it doesn't show up in Device Manager and there's no light

Is the dongle maybe just dead?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

For me it makes the "hey something connected!" jingle but it doesn't show up in Device Manager and there's no light

Is the dongle maybe just dead?

Could be - I can't remember how mine behaved when it was dead. No light seems like a sign, though.

If you have a multimeter, you could crack it open and test continuity over the F1 fuse. And if there is none, just drop a blob of solder over it to bridge it.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

fishmech posted:

Uh, Sony expected you to pay them money for the games. It's just that people figured out how to put their own ISOs on instead of buying the small number of PS1 games Sony officially had on the store.

And Sony couldn't really patch the systems to close this loophole without loving up how their older PS1 game sales were delivered, which was too much work and money for them to deal with.

It's like how it was really easy to pirate games on the Dreamcast not by Sega's intention, but because they wanted to support a weird interactive CD standard that never really got used.

The PSP's CPU is very similar to an advanced version of the PS1 CPU, both being based on the MIPS basic core design - the PS1 being the R3000 basic core and the PSP being the R4000 basic core. The instruction set available on the R4000 core the PSP uses contains all instructions implemented on the PS1 CPU, making software compatibility very easy to achieve. The PSP then makes use of the fact that the CPU in it operates about 6.5x-10x faster clock rate depending on the mode it's been set in, and uses this extra power to handle emulation of things like the original PS1's sound and video and I/O chips while it executes the CPU code natively.

It is similar to how Nintendo chose to achieve backwards compatibility on the Wii and Wii U with the GameCube, via using the same PowerPC basic core design throughout all of them, although Nintendo had less need to emulate the previous video chips since the GPUs they chose to use for the Wii and Wii U were designed to support everything in the GameCube GPU. So the Wii can use native code execution on the CPU and mostly native code execution in the GPU for GameCube titles, where a PSP must do emulation for most of the GPU functionality of the PS1.

Wait, the Wii U can play GameCube games?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

worthless. posted:

Yup, you have to hack your Wii U and use the USB to GC adaptor but it works pretty flawlessly from what I am told.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

worthless. posted:

Yes, because it can play Wii games, and supporting Wii games fully means the system is also backwards compatible with GameCube games. You can't however plug in official GC controllers or memory cards without USB adapters and you can't use original GameCube discs in the drive, but with some software mods similar to getting homebrew on the original Wii, you can play the games from ISOs.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

fishmech posted:

Yes, because it can play Wii games, and supporting Wii games fully means the system is also backwards compatible with GameCube games. You can't however plug in official GC controllers or memory cards without USB adapters and you can't use original GameCube discs in the drive, but with some software mods similar to getting homebrew on the original Wii, you can play the games from ISOs.

Djarum posted:

Yup, you have to hack your Wii U and use the USB to GC adaptor but it works pretty flawlessly from what I am told.

Oh, that makes sense, for a second I thought you meant I could just toss in a disc and go to town. I have a gamecube so I'm not going to mod it, but it's cool to know that I can.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Also just about any Android device and an 8bitdo controller will do PS1 like a boss. Like Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden with frame limiter off was hitting 150 fps on a 30 dollar cheap as gently caress Smart Talk phone from Walmart. With epse emulator.

I hadn't hosed with any 3d games on it but I am sure it could handle it. I upgraded to a bigger device that's a little faster mostly for a bigger screen. I'm sure it would be just ducky with 3d. But my 8bitdo controller is a FC30 and thus doesn't have 2nd shoulders or analog sticks so no real need to check it out as of yet. I'm playing FF5 SNES at the moment because switching devices kinda borked my SRW save 15 missions back and my SMS Ultima 4 notes got misplaced and I kinda want to play it legit and am too lazy to rerun through a handful of towns to get the mantras right now. Plus I'm sure my note page is somewhere... Been meaning to play ff5 through for years though the PS1 port loves to lock up on most hardware. I think it only ran right on my launch window PS2 with certain settings. It didn't on a year 1 PS1 or 3 that's for sure. :doom:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Captain Rufus posted:

Also just about any Android device and an 8bitdo controller will do PS1 like a boss. Like Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden with frame limiter off was hitting 150 fps on a 30 dollar cheap as gently caress Smart Talk phone from Walmart. With epse emulator.

I hadn't hosed with any 3d games on it but I am sure it could handle it. I upgraded to a bigger device that's a little faster mostly for a bigger screen. I'm sure it would be just ducky with 3d. But my 8bitdo controller is a FC30 and thus doesn't have 2nd shoulders or analog sticks so no real need to check it out as of yet. I'm playing FF5 SNES at the moment because switching devices kinda borked my SRW save 15 missions back and my SMS Ultima 4 notes got misplaced and I kinda want to play it legit and am too lazy to rerun through a handful of towns to get the mantras right now. Plus I'm sure my note page is somewhere... Been meaning to play ff5 through for years though the PS1 port loves to lock up on most hardware. I think it only ran right on my launch window PS2 with certain settings. It didn't on a year 1 PS1 or 3 that's for sure. :doom:

The ps1 re-releases of the FF games are pretty lovely, so it's no surprise to me that it locks up on you. I've been playing through the ps1 Chrono Trigger in FF Chronicles, and the load times just to enter a battle are like 5-10 seconds. That may not seem like much but compared to the snes or DS versions, it's ridiculous. It does have :krad: anime cutscenes which I guess is a plus, but I'm pretty sure those are in the DS version as well.

FF Origins on ps1 at least updated the lovely gameplay decisions in NES FF. Namely characters not retargeting after a targeted enemy dies. Still has some load issues, but the music makes it worth it :banjo:

Final thought, as bad as the ps1 ports of the 8 and 16 bit Final Fantasies are, I still wish they would have ported FF3, because it would look better on my shelf if I had final fantasy 1-9 for ps1, instead of having a random ds box thrown in right at the beginning.

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

What happened to Acid Police? I don't mean to raise any undue drama, but I participated in group-buys from him via this thread with mostly positive, but varying results. I hadn't realized there was any fallout.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Spoderman posted:

This is actually how I re-experienced MML 10 years ago. You can remap the controls so I had something like the shoulder buttons used for straffing, the d-pad L2/R2, and the analog stick movement. It worked quite well because MML has auto aim when you're close to an enemy and the few times you need lock on (lake and sky boss in particular) you're largely stationary.

It made me realize how brilliantly designed that series is. It doesn't hold a candle to pure analog controls but those guys knew what they were doing when designing a 3D game for what is ostensibly a Super Nintendo controller.

TheMammoth posted:

What happened to Acid Police? I don't mean to raise any undue drama, but I participated in group-buys from him via this thread with mostly positive, but varying results. I hadn't realized there was any fallout.

Long story short he was permabanned(?) for not delivering after collecting hundreds of dollars in a group buy. Someone can go deeper than that.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

al-azad posted:

This is actually how I re-experienced MML 10 years ago. You can remap the controls so I had something like the shoulder buttons used for straffing, the d-pad L2/R2, and the analog stick movement. It worked quite well because MML has auto aim when you're close to an enemy and the few times you need lock on (lake and sky boss in particular) you're largely stationary.

It made me realize how brilliantly designed that series is. It doesn't hold a candle to pure analog controls but those guys knew what they were doing when designing a 3D game for what is ostensibly a Super Nintendo controller.

Long story short he was permabanned(?) for not delivering after collecting hundreds of dollars in a group buy. Someone can go deeper than that.

That's my understanding too. I tried to see if i couldnt help folks get their money back but it probably didnt do anything. Acid likes the weed. Not someone to give money to. I'm hoping it was THC fueled stupidity as opposed to actual intent not that this is any comfort to people who are out cash obviously. People can go back a few months and maybe find the contact email i got if they want to pursue further. I wish the affected the best of luck but... :smith: Its a goddamned shame though.

At least Mike Kennedy's dumb poo poo was mostly funny when he hosed people over...

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Captain Rufus posted:

That's my understanding too. I tried to see if i couldnt help folks get their money back but it probably didnt do anything. Acid likes the weed. Not someone to give money to. I'm hoping it was THC fueled stupidity as opposed to actual intent not that this is any comfort to people who are out cash obviously. People can go back a few months and maybe find the contact email i got if they want to pursue further. I wish the affected the best of luck but... :smith: Its a goddamned shame though.

At least Mike Kennedy's dumb poo poo was mostly funny when he hosed people over...

Yes the devil's weed made him do it.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
never trust a weed doer, it's illegal

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

al-azad posted:

The whole situation was super-weird and incredibly baffling, namely because they were given every opportunity to avoid the permaban and just didn't put in the relatively small amount of :effort: that maintaining a few years' worth of community building would have required. Most people did more or less wind up with their goods eventually, a very small number of people including myself lost somewhat more bigly (in my case I never got an Everdrive GB from a group buy), apparently as a vindication move since I'm so buddy-buddy with the mods (loving what) and orchestrated a grand conspiracy against them (I did try to coordinate a police investigation when it was looking like AP was bolting with thousands of dollars, but the vast majority of people got their Everdrives and other stuff shortly after that and nothing really came of it). Whatever Acid Police hypothetically pocketed from it was definitely not worth burning the years' worth of bridges. Making things worse was that a Google search for AP's real name pulled up some other threads on other boards where similar smaller-scale poo poo went down.

Officially, the permaban wasn't even for the Everdrive group buys, but rather for PS2 memory cards that were a few bucks each because the Everdrive group buys weren't done through SA Mart (we got a stern mod talking-to from SWSP and Cowcaster when poo poo was going down because of this).

Basically in all likelihood AP just got in over their head due to some awkward timing, like starting a 2nd group buy before a 1st group buy had really settled because of the surprise Everdrive GB announcement, and probably there was some money mismanagement and "stealing from Peter to pay Paul" or whatever that expression is type of planning that didn't really pan out.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 10, 2017

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

univbee posted:

Basically in all likelihood AP just got in over their head due to some awkward timing, like starting a 2nd group buy before a 1st group buy had really settled because of the surprise Everdrive GB announcement, and probably there was some money mismanagement and "stealing from Peter to pay Paul" or whatever that expression is type of planning that didn't really pan out.

I think posters in this thread should stop making excuses for Acid Police. During the whole mess, AP kept starting even more group buys and taking in more money while saying that he is getting "over his head."

It was a total scam, well planned ahead of time.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
are there any good ready to go replacement n64 analog sticks, or is buying one of the china gamecube styles and replacing the pcb still the preferred method

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Can someone add the kitsch-bent link to the OP so I don't have to repost it all the time?

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/n64-joystick-gears

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

A Yolo Wizard posted:

are there any good ready to go replacement n64 analog sticks, or is buying one of the china gamecube styles and replacing the pcb still the preferred method

The GC-style replacements might feel great but they are pretty flawed and have fewer degrees of control than the OEM stick. Check out this video for a break down and the comments are helpful too: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o3GYtAyRCOo

No idea about OR-STYLE replacement sticks.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I'm just glad I eventually got my Turbo Everdrive from that group buy, because it loving owns

I need to bust it out again, I've been terribly neglectful of my real hardware lately, focusing too much attention on my retropies. Man those things are cool, though. I need to get on stuffing them inside the NES cases I bought, but :effort:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Joe Chill posted:

I think posters in this thread should stop making excuses for Acid Police. During the whole mess, AP kept starting even more group buys and taking in more money while saying that he is getting "over his head."

It was a total scam, well planned ahead of time.

Maybe, but that is some really terrible ROI if so. If I'm going to spend literally years hanging out in an online community with the intention of ripping everybody off, I'd want more than a few hundred dollars out of it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

univbee posted:

Maybe, but that is some really terrible ROI if so. If I'm going to spend literally years hanging out in an online community with the intention of ripping everybody off, I'd want more than a few hundred dollars out of it.

It was probably not the long con. He saw an opportunity and figured he didn't care if he burnt the bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You see some of the weirdest stuff on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-PepsiMan-Reproduction-GameBoy-Advance-PS1-GBA-/122301118582?hash=item1c79b6f876:g:TU8AAOSwo4pYK2uF

Looking it up, apparently it's an NES fangame of the PS1 title, running in that one NES emulator for the GBA.

• Locked thread