Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Is Citi Double Cash still the best cash back card for people who don't travel a ton? Just looking for the best cash back card, not a huge fan of revolving categories

You might want to consider the Costco and/or Amazon cards if you find yourself buying more within those categories. Otherwise, the Fidelity card also offers a 2%.

I always have a no-foreign-transaction fee card handy also, whether for travel or overseas purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Is Citi Double Cash still the best cash back card for people who don't travel a ton? Just looking for the best cash back card, not a huge fan of revolving categories

It's fine if you don't want to have to think about it, but I think people really underestimate the value of a signup bonus which it doesn't have. The Capital One Quicksilver as an example has a pretty small signup bonus but a smaller cashback reward (1.5%). The Citi DoubleCash only breaks even with the Capital One card after you spend $20,000 on the card. It only breaks even with the Chase Freedom after $15,000 in spending and that's if you never once take advantage of the rotating 5% categories.

Despite that I absolutely get the desire for simplicity, I have a doublecash and use it pretty often. Citi has some nice perks too like price protection and virtual account numbers.

Fake edit, ETB's suggestion of the Costco and Amazon cards are also a good simple choice.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I want USAA to open up the "Limitless" 2.5% cash back card for California already. :mad:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I want USAA to open up the "Limitless" 2.5% cash back card for California my state already. :mad:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Bumped up my average age of accounts from 1.5 years to 3.5 years by adding myself as an authorized user to my wife's oldest cc. Credit score isn't a game but at least now I have a 0 ftf card with my name on it I can use overseas (Quicksilver)

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Bumped up my average age of accounts from 1.5 years to 3.5 years by adding myself as an authorized user to my wife's oldest cc. Credit score isn't a game but at least now I have a 0 ftf card with my name on it I can use overseas (Quicksilver)

Have you checked your credit report directly? I didn't think credit card companies still used the primary account holder's signup date for authorized users.
Amex used to do this, my credit history is actually older than I am because my dad added me as an authorized user to his ~30 year old account when I was in high school.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Thufir posted:

edit: I did cancel my Amex Plat yesterday. The retention agent: "Do you have the Chase Reserve? Yeah, we're hearing that a lot".
I don't think I've gotten a retention agent when I cancelled an Amex, at least in a long time. Usually it's handled by automated system. Wonder what I'm doing wrong.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

THF13 posted:

Have you checked your credit report directly? I didn't think credit card companies still used the primary account holder's signup date for authorized users.
Amex used to do this, my credit history is actually older than I am because my dad added me as an authorized user to his ~30 year old account when I was in high school.

Ya I use the nerd wallet app to track it, and according to the report that pulls it shows there. Both of my cards I've added my wife to have also shown up on her credit report (former Sallie Mae and double cash)

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Ya I use the nerd wallet app to track it, and according to the report that pulls it shows there. Both of my cards I've added my wife to have also shown up on her credit report (former Sallie Mae and double cash)

Some reports use it and some don't I believe.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Tyro posted:

I want USAA to open up the "Limitless" 2.5% cash back card for California my state already. :mad:

Was just opened up in AR, CT, FL, ND, MN

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Small White Dragon posted:

I don't think I've gotten a retention agent when I cancelled an Amex, at least in a long time. Usually it's handled by automated system. Wonder what I'm doing wrong.

I dunno, I called the automated service line on the back of the card and got routed to retention. Maybe because of the product or spend (though mine was pretty middling)?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

THF13 posted:

Depends on the card issuer.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

THF13 posted:

Was just opened up in AR, CT, FL, ND, MN

Boo-urns

Rollout seems to be going fairly quick though which is nice. I'll be happy if I can get one in the first half of the year.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Drove two hours to apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve for a process that took maybe 10 minutes.

I still have to figure out if it's worth it to make this my primary card over the Double Cash. We do tend to eat out and travel a lot which are expensive habits I'd like to pare down, but might as well get points for it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
CSR/CSP question: I signed up with both and now have the bonuses. It seems like the best strategy for maximizing my rewards/minimizing cost is to just stop using the CSP and transfer all the points to the CSR card which has better redemption if I use the portal and more points on travel/restaurant purchases. If I decide to dump these cards for whatever reason like not getting my money's worth from the $300 travel credit on the CSR, I should ask Chase to convert one to a Chase Freedom Unlimited card. That sound about right?

I'm at 4/24 so I guess I could open up another Chase account for greed.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

CSR/CSP question: I signed up with both and now have the bonuses. It seems like the best strategy for maximizing my rewards/minimizing cost is to just stop using the CSP and transfer all the points to the CSR card which has better redemption if I use the portal and more points on travel/restaurant purchases. If I decide to dump these cards for whatever reason like not getting my money's worth from the $300 travel credit on the CSR, I should ask Chase to convert one to a Chase Freedom Unlimited card. That sound about right?

I'm at 4/24 so I guess I could open up another Chase account for greed.

If you've had the CSP for under a year, and you don't expect to get any referral bonuses on it to offset its annual fee, you can product change that CSP to the no-annual-fee Sapphire. Then, a day later, you can product change that Sapphire to a Freedom Unlimited.

Definitely keep the CSR for the year, get the two years' worth of $300 travel credits, then if you don't want to keep it as a CSR, product change it down to a CSP or Freedom or whatever.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

astral posted:

If you've had the CSP for under a year, and you don't expect to get any referral bonuses on it to offset its annual fee, you can product change that CSP to the no-annual-fee Sapphire. Then, a day later, you can product change that Sapphire to a Freedom Unlimited.

Definitely keep the CSR for the year, get the two years' worth of $300 travel credits, then if you don't want to keep it as a CSR, product change it down to a CSP or Freedom or whatever.

Thanks. Maybe dumb question but why not just change CSP directly to Freedom Unlimited, does Chase want it converted to a regular Sapphire first?

How about the Ink Preferred card - it sounds like I can claim to be a sole proprietor and still get the bonus?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Thanks. Maybe dumb question but why not just change CSP directly to Freedom Unlimited, does Chase want it converted to a regular Sapphire first?

If it's under a year they don't let you go directly between CSP and the other no-AF cards. It's weird.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

TIL metal credit cards are baller as poo poo

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

AndrewP posted:

TIL metal credit cards are baller as poo poo

It feels so dumb for that to be the reason I finally pull the trigger on an Amazon Prime VISA, but goddamn it I'm really close to doing exactly that.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Power of Pecota posted:

It feels so dumb for that to be the reason I finally pull the trigger on an Amazon Prime VISA, but goddamn it I'm really close to doing exactly that.

It's a good card, Bront.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I just got a Amex Blue Cash Preferred. The huge grocery discount (6%) is too good to pass up, as a man who loves to buy food from grocery stores. 10% off restaurants for the next 6 months is also cool

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

How about the Ink Preferred card - it sounds like I can claim to be a sole proprietor and still get the bonus?

Yes. Chase is the most stringent of any major CC issuer in terms of approval for business cards, but it is quite possible to get one and rarely two cards with a sole prop "business" and as long as you are approved you'll get the bonus.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Anyone have an opinion on the Barclaycard CashForward World MasterCard? I just got the spend reward for the Chase Unlimited Freedom, so I'm looking for a new card where I can easily hit the spend bonus. I'm pretty thrifty so a lot of the $1000+ in 90 days cards are out of the question. I already have the Capital One Quicksilver.

Only thing I'm seeing about the CashForward that I don't like is that redemption begins at $50, so I'd probably hit the $500 spend to get $100 and then never use it again. There aren't any reviews on nerdwallet so I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the Barclaycard CashForward World MasterCard? I just got the spend reward for the Chase Unlimited Freedom, so I'm looking for a new card where I can easily hit the spend bonus. I'm pretty thrifty so a lot of the $1000+ in 90 days cards are out of the question. I already have the Capital One Quicksilver.

Only thing I'm seeing about the CashForward that I don't like is that redemption begins at $50, so I'd probably hit the $500 spend to get $100 and then never use it again. There aren't any reviews on nerdwallet so I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with it.

If redemption begins at $50, then couldn't you redeem $50, get the 5% bonus on next redemption, then redeem the last 57 or so dollars with the 5% and then put it away?

I've never used the card and it's only a few extra dollars, but that seems like a reasonable way to do it if you can. $50 is a weirdly high redemption requirement for a 1.5 card.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I just did this one! Got a targeted $200 offer after $500 spend. You might want to wait for the targeted offer.

The nice thing is that the initial spend bonus plops into your rewards pool, so it puts you over the $50 minimum as soon as you reach it. You can then redeem the entire amount at your leisure (no $50 increments or anything dumb like that so long as you're above the minimum--looking at you, AMEX).

I will probably stop using it as soon as I go ahead and redeem my entire bonus pool. Waiting to reach $50 again would take some $3,333 in further spending, which is annoying.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Vox Nihili posted:

I just did this one! Got a targeted $200 offer after $500 spend. You might want to wait for the targeted offer.

The nice thing is that the initial spend bonus plops into your rewards pool, so it puts you over the $50 minimum as soon as you reach it. You can then redeem the entire amount at your leisure (no $50 increments or anything dumb like that so long as you're above the minimum--looking at you, AMEX).

I will probably stop using it as soon as I go ahead and redeem my entire bonus pool. Waiting to reach $50 again would take some $3,333 in further spending, which is annoying.

Did you have an existing relationship with Barclay? Not familiar with how their targeting works and they are the only major/semi-major card company that I have never received anything from.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

No prior business with them. I get a shitton of mailers these days, though. I think they've sent me other offers as well. My girlfriend also received a mailer for their card even though she has fewer accounts open. Maybe it's a demographic thing.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 11, 2017

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I get mailers for them for their airmiles card, but it requires 3 or 4 grand in spending in 90 days to get the bonus and it has a higher annual fee than I want to take up (IIRC). I never get targeted offers in the mail any more ever since I started signing up for lots of cards with bonus offers. Now I just get a lot of mailers for low interest personal loans from citybank and AMEX.

CraigSlice
Sep 23, 2005
: )
Just want to make sure I have this straight. I already have the bank of America cash rewards card I don't use. I want to start using it (or get the Amazon prime card) to get the free cash back. If my closing date is the 15th of each month, and the payment date is the 12th of the next month. As long as I pay the card in full by the 12th I'd get no interest, correct?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Yep.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I got a Chase Unlimited Freedom card at the end of February and hit the $500 mark on it a few days ago for the $150 bonus - is that just going to show up as points or something with my next end of month statement, or do I have to do anything to redeem it?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

I got a Chase Unlimited Freedom card at the end of February and hit the $500 mark on it a few days ago for the $150 bonus - is that just going to show up as points or something with my next end of month statement, or do I have to do anything to redeem it?

It'll show up on the next statement after enough transactions post, unless it's within something like 7-10 days of the next statement cut. In that case, it might not show up until the statement after that.

astral fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 23, 2017

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
For the Chase Amazon Prime card did you guys get the metal one yet? I have the card and got the upgrade to 5% mailer, but no new card. I do Prime every month but on a monthly plan, because I am an idiot. Is the metal card for all Prime users, or is it only annual members?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Michael Corleone posted:

For the Chase Amazon Prime card did you guys get the metal one yet? I have the card and got the upgrade to 5% mailer, but no new card. I do Prime every month but on a monthly plan, because I am an idiot. Is the metal card for all Prime users, or is it only annual members?

I have the metal one, have been an annual Prime member for 10 years.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
I got the paperwork, but no new card. Shows the new card style image on the bank website and Amazon though. Wondering if they'll be waiting until the card holder is closer renewal, or if they just push them out in a certain order.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

If it really bothers you, you could probably just call in a lost card.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I've read that everyone is getting one, but I don't know how they send them out. I haven't gotten mine yet.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
hmm i havent seen new paperwork or a new card. I only put a buck on it a year though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pjhalifax
May 29, 2004

love boat captain

Rated PG-34 posted:

If it really bothers you, you could probably just call in a lost card.
I did this and the metal card came about 2 days later. Perfect for impatient folks like me.