Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

WaywardWoodwose posted:

That's obviously Tiny Mace on the cover, not Fiery Mask, because Fiery mask is a man of mystery and action, and the Mace is a man of busting loving faces with a mace.

...and perky nipples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

a kitten posted:

This is a very exciting cover.

Also, i'm going to go ahead and assume that Fiery Mask does not have a "no killing" rule.

I'm interested in seeing the tale of Doc Doyle Union Underworld Buster!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'm wondering what thought process lead to the conclusion that tying their hostage to the hood of their car was an essential component of these devious villains' master plan.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Slashrat posted:

I'm wondering what thought process lead to the conclusion that tying their hostage to the hood of their car was an essential component of these devious villains' master plan.

I'm also wondering what Druid Smashhead is shooting his flamethrower at, because it sure isn't his hostage.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They revived Fiery Mask in 2008 only to kill him off and have his powers transfer to someone else. He's still got the loving mace.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm also wondering what Druid Smashhead is shooting his flamethrower at, because it sure isn't his hostage.

Also, wouldn't shooting a flamethrower out the window of a speeding car be a really bad idea?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Depends on how fast you're going and current prevailing wind conditions... but generally, yes.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Wanderer posted:

I always wanted to see a limited series or small event based around the participants in Ben Grimm's semi-regular poker game.

You might enjoy this on Unlimited:
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Thing_Vol_2_8

(Cap's facepalm on the cover is great.)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You think a guy wearing a robe like that isn't carrying a magic flamethrower? C'mon, guys. :rolleyes:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Selachian posted:

Also, wouldn't shooting a flamethrower out the window of a speeding car be a really bad idea?

The car is actually driving in reverse.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

They revived Fiery Mask in 2008 only to kill him off and have his powers transfer to someone else. He's still got the loving mace.

Is the mace part of his powerset? Who has the mace now?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Selachian posted:

Maybe he's shooting bullets, but the bullets are so fast that they set some air on fire as they go by.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

a kitten posted:

Is the mace part of his powerset? Who has the mace now?

His powers got retconned in his revival to be a Green Lantern-style transfer upon death (originally it was some crazy thing where he got kidnapped by zombies led by a 20 foot tall mad scientist zombie and had a wacky accident with the mad science), so when he got killed his powers transferred to Phantom Reporter, another obscure Golden Age character who got revived.

quote:

Fiery Mask has the powers of super strength, super breath, pyrokinesis, ability to leap miles in a single bound, and can create forcefields of heat.

I think he carries the mace because he likes crushing skulls.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

chitoryu12 posted:

(originally it was some crazy thing where he got kidnapped by zombies led by a 20 foot tall mad scientist zombie and had a wacky accident with the mad science)

This is fantastic and never I want to see the original story, because the execution can either be disappointingly lame or even better than I could imagine, and so long as I don't open that particular box I can assume it's the one I prefer.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

This is fantastic and never I want to see the original story, because the execution can either be disappointingly lame or even better than I could imagine, and so long as I don't open that particular box I can assume it's the one I prefer.

I think the justification for the retcon is that he made it all up.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Honestly, I REMEMBER liking The Twelve, but I am hard pressed to recall but a few details here and there about it, and the stronger beats of the last issue. And I constantly see it mentioned as a huge disappointment. What's the deal?

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

howe_sam posted:

That was good, this was better

Bear is driving.
How can this be?!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Slashrat posted:

Mythological Thor was drinking from it as part of a drinking contest. It could taste like literal piss and he would have kept chugging.

"The drinking contest was half over before Thor realized that he hasn't seen Loki since it started."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

KaosMachina posted:

Honestly, I REMEMBER liking The Twelve, but I am hard pressed to recall but a few details here and there about it, and the stronger beats of the last issue. And I constantly see it mentioned as a huge disappointment. What's the deal?

I Seem to remember huge delays.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Huge delays, plus Kreuger and Ross wanking over Golden Age characters nobody cares about.

So they went and did it again at Dynamite for some reason.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Huge delays, plus Kreuger and Ross wanking over Golden Age characters nobody cares about.

The wanking was done on a different room. The Twelve was done by J. Michael Straczynski, Chris Weston, Garry Leach and Chris Chuckry.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yo, anyone have those panels from Archie comics of Veronica getting really upset about Rap music?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Unlucky7 posted:

"The drinking contest was half over before Thor realized that he hasn't seen Loki since it started."

No, Loki was there also. He ended up in an eating contest. Against a boy that turned out to be 'Fire'(I.E it eats everything without fail). Thor also got into a wrestling contest with a cat that turned out to be Jormagandr the Midgard Serpent(And he nearly managed to life and toss it, too). A serving boy who was travelling with them ended up in a foot race against 'Thought'. I also recall some sort of contest against an old lady that turned out to be Death, and so unbeatable.

EDIT: Here's a decent bit about it. Better than relying on my memory. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Atgar%C3%B0a-Loki

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I dunno why you wouldn't just go with a primary source.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A comic doesn't really counts as a primary source when it comes to norse myths. Plus, Loki and Thor didn't go to Utgard to settle an argument. the giants (led by Utgard-Loki) just fucks with them for no reason at all.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Bloodly posted:

No, Loki was there also. He ended up in an eating contest. Against a boy that turned out to be 'Fire'(I.E it eats everything without fail). Thor also got into a wrestling contest with a cat that turned out to be Jormagandr the Midgard Serpent(And he nearly managed to life and toss it, too). A serving boy who was travelling with them ended up in a foot race against 'Thought'. I also recall some sort of contest against an old lady that turned out to be Death, and so unbeatable.

EDIT: Here's a decent bit about it. Better than relying on my memory. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Atgar%C3%B0a-Loki

I think he was just making a joke that if there were a different drinking contest in mythology that involved Thor ending up drinking Loki's piss it would be perfectly in character for all involved.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

a kitten posted:

I think he was just making a joke that if there were a different drinking contest in mythology that involved Thor ending up drinking Loki's piss it would be perfectly in character for all involved.

To say someone had drunk the piss of Odin was actually an norse insult against bad poets. Odin once stole the mead of poetry from Suttung by drinking it and regurgitatet it when he returned to the gods, some of it he pissed out though and if you were a bad poet people said it was because you had drunk that piss.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Catching up on comics. Star-Lord #3 from last month.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

a kitten posted:

Also, i'm going to go ahead and assume that Fiery Mask does not have a "no killing" rule.

He has a "no, killing!" rule.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Diet Poison posted:

Catching up on comics. Star-Lord #3 from last month.

I'm blanking on the guy between Shocker and Melter.

Also, isn't Shocker still head of the NY crime families?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The guy with the diamond for a head is called Diamondhead.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I guess that's just a thing he does. :shrug:

e: this is not the same strip as the first.

:)

Apologies for not having sources, they were simply tagged as "golden age"

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I have to know the context of the cactus one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hup posted:

I have to know the context of the cactus one.
Here you go!

http://imgur.com/a/X1BFH

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

The end!

No moral.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Even better than I'd hoped.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I love the cops there. Like, "welp it looks like we've got another case of living jealous cactus". Just immediately accepting the paranormal and they're only worried about telling the commish.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mirage posted:

The end!

No moral.

Looks like a pre-Comics-Code horror comic, which were like 90% horrible things happening for no reason. I may not like the Code much, but I have to admit it lead to more coherent storylines and actual resolutions at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Here lies a lady, hugged to death by cactus.