Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I have a bias in that I work with the ownership/management side of apartment complexes, but pet rent + pet deposits make a lot of sense because animals smell very strongly like animals and the apartment will smell that way and be worth less money unless it gets a deep, deep clean.

Even if you own one cat in 2 Bedroom apartment, your place smells like a cat. I'm not saying it smells like ammonia and feces (though it might), but it definitely smells like a literal animal lives in there.

I'm okay with pet rent and deposits, especially since for every good pet owner there's some gently caress-up who absolutely destroys your unit as a result. However, my general view is that going beyond that is usually ridiculous. If I'm on the hook for all the carpet damage or in some cases have leases that state that by owning a pet, I agree that the carpets will be replaced at my expense when I move out, etc etc, why the gently caress does the building owner care if the cat is declawed? Or as another example I used to see in Pennsylvania and Indiana, "sure you can have dogs, they just have to be surgically debarked." No, gently caress you. Just don't allow dogs if you're going to try to pull that bullshit.

I also hate the whole "dangerous breeds" and "large dog" restrictions, but again I see that as a case of dumb, bad owners ruining it for the rest of the dog owners.

[/rant from guy who loves his pets]

BWM: Having two cats and a dog while being a renter, thus guaranteeing that you have to lie your your landlord no matter where you live because nobody lets you have more than two pets these days. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I have a bias in that I work with the ownership/management side of apartment complexes, but pet rent + pet deposits make a lot of sense because animals smell very strongly like animals and the apartment will smell that way and be worth less money unless it gets a deep, deep clean.

Even if you own one cat in 2 Bedroom apartment, your place smells like a cat. I'm not saying it smells like ammonia and feces (though it might), but it definitely smells like a literal animal lives in there.

Bingo. That dander stays in the carpet and pad, gets in the dust behind appliances, accumulates in furnace filters, etc. For anyone with allergies moving in after, it's miserable if the place hasn't been deep cleaned, besides the smell.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
After signing up for the Wells Fargo dealie to get $250 with minimal work, my cat racked up $200 in vet bills due what turned out to be a stomach ulcer.

Loving and caring about your pets is BWM.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Assuming he also had on jeans and, socks, and shoes this sounds like California tech interview 101.

Seriously - I was wondering where this happened that made it notable. This is literally Werner Vogels reInvent keynote outfit like every year, with the t shirt often being something like a hammered old alice in chains concert shirt.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Loving and caring about your pets is BWM.

It's true. My big fat Garfield-looking bastard spent a $4,800 week at the spa (24/7 animal hospital) when his pancreas decided to stop working.

One week later he was totally back to normal and acting like nothing ever happened. Animals!

The vets kept asking me every day "It'll be about another $600-$800 to keep him overnight. Have you thought about euthanasia?"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Loving and caring about anything is BWM.

Fixed

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Motronic posted:

Seriously - I was wondering where this happened that made it notable. This is literally Werner Vogels reInvent keynote outfit like every year, with the t shirt often being something like a hammered old alice in chains concert shirt.

Literally anywhere other than Silicon Valley or a tech startup is going to notice if you wear an Alice in Chains concert shirt and a blazer to your interview.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Motronic posted:

"Zuckerberg wears t-shirts so that means I can wear a t-shirt to an interview :downs:" is the Millennial logic. Maybe I am an old man who yells at clouds but show up to an interview looking nice, at least business casual if the firm is laid back.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Literally anywhere other than Silicon Valley or a tech startup is going to notice if you wear an Alice in Chains concert shirt and a blazer to your interview.

Well, that's my own confirmation bias, since I've spent my entire adult life working in tech startups.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
better to take a joke or two about being overdressed than to go in the other direction; it's very bwm to not wear a suit to an interview

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Speaking of which, I need a new suit, what's a good price point for a multipurpose suit (charcoal so I can wear it on almost any occasion that I'd have to wear a suit to)?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

monster on a stick posted:

Speaking of which, I need a new suit, what's a good price point for a multipurpose suit (charcoal so I can wear it on almost any occasion that I'd have to wear a suit to)?

If you don't wear it often, then just get a blazer and pants for a little over $100 from a discount outlet during a sale and pair them with any white dress shirt and a tie.

People have a weird investment in the idea of expensive suits for special occasions, but nobody is going to give a poo poo at the wedding/funeral and a $10,000 designer suit is not going to give you a major advantage at a job interview vs. a well-fitting $150 blazer and suit pants.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 10, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Motronic posted:

Think outside the man in the box

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

1 months salary, but this price includes shoes.

PS this is a joke post

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Suits are up there with engagement rings as far as What's The Correct Amount to Spend.

It's probably higher the wealthier you are, some people think they're stupid, and nobody really cares if you've got a $500 or a $50,000 one because they all look pretty similar.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
With the extreme exceptions of fashion folks (obviously) and banking folks.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

If there's a big department store markdown center near you they can have awesome deals on suits. I found a Ralph Lauren blue label suit for ~$200 about 6 years ago at a Dillard's clearance center.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

canyoneer posted:

Think outside the man in the box

:golfclap:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

There's a horse park near me (meaning a local park that has trails that are horse-friendly), and I almost never see guys riding horses. If it's a guy he's there with his wife/girlfriend ("We went to see John Wick 2 last weekend, now it's horse day.") It actually looks kind of relaxing.

Riding horses is great. It can be relaxing to go on a trail ride through the woods, or exciting if you want to do some canters or galloping, and fun in general as you get to steer something like an ATV with a mind and personality of its own.

Owning horses is horrible; they're expensive, fragile, huge and dangerous animals and take up a lot of time to care for.

There's definitely some kind of stronger attraction to horses for girls and women. If I had to speculate, it's a combination of kids' toys being geared to introduce girls to horses, horses being easier to ride for women, and women culturally being more inclined to bond and work with an animal these days.

Anyway I highly encourage people to go on a trail ride sometime, but it's hard to find places that don't do "follow the butt in front of them" - those animals are usually broken and dispirited wretches - and even worse are the starveling ones you see on cruise excursions. Look for a place that advertises "off-trail" riding; even if you never go off trail they'll still have horses that are fun.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 10, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

If there's a big department store markdown center near you they can have awesome deals on suits. I found a Ralph Lauren blue label suit for ~$200 about 6 years ago at a Dillard's clearance center.

Nordstrom Rack maybe?

DarkHorse posted:

Anyway I highly encourage people to go on a trail ride sometime, but it's hard to find places that don't do "follow the butt in front of them" - those animals are usually broken and dispirited wretches - and even worse are the starveling ones you see on cruise excursions. Look for a place that advertises "off-trail" riding; even if you never go off trail they'll still have horses that are fun.

Horse rentals are GWM, never knew

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Horse rentals are GWM, never knew

If flies, floats, fucks, or gallops you're better off renting. :v:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

And here I am buying a horse because renting is throwing money away!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Guinness posted:

If flies, floats, fucks, or gallops you're better off renting. :v:

What if it can do all four?

I'd want to own that beauty.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
So my husband and I are friends with two other couples.

The 1st couple and my husband and I each own rentals. Couple 1 is looking to buy another rental and the wife is a real estate agent.

We are selling our house and purchasing a farm and the wife from couple 1 offered to buy our house as their new rental property for about 15k less than what our actual realtor thinks we can sell it for. The price they want to buy it for is what they previously told us was their max budget for a rental. We said no way, but she insists it's a good deal for us because she is generously offering to waive her realtor fees and will rent the house back to us until we can find a farm property. :jerkbag:

They are being real pushy about it and I'm probably gonna cut them off if they don't drop it.

The husband from the second couple is now insistent that he has to buy a rental now too. They found a duplex for 240k and are doing several BWM things.

1. They are taking out a line of credit for 70k to put a down payment on the rental and replace the windows. The roof needs replacing too but they want to wait on that.
2. The line of credit is at 5% with interest only payments for the time being.
3. One side rents for $1100 and has a current tenant, but the other side is empty and the husband told my husband "the rent from the other side will cover the mortgage so it's okay if we can't get tenants in this one."
4. He installs cable and his wife is a teacher and they are expecting their third baby.

Nothing is set in stone yet so I'm going to try to talk him out of it this weekend over some beers. If he really wants a rental there is one near our rental that's a 4-plex for 160k bringing in the same amount of rent as the one he wants, but he doesn't like it cause it's not in the fancy part of town.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

SquirrelFace posted:

The 1st couple and my husband and I each own rentals. Couple 1 is looking to buy another rental and the wife is a real estate agent.

We are selling our house and purchasing a farm and the wife from couple 1 offered to buy our house as their new rental property for about 15k less than what our actual realtor thinks we can sell it for. The price they want to buy it for is what they previously told us was their max budget for a rental. We said no way, but she insists it's a good deal for us because she is generously offering to waive her realtor fees and will rent the house back to us until we can find a farm property. :jerkbag:

They are being real pushy about it and I'm probably gonna cut them off if they don't drop it.

The husband from the second couple is now insistent that he has to buy a rental now too. They found a duplex for 240k and are doing several BWM things.

1. They are taking out a line of credit for 70k to put a down payment on the rental and replace the windows. The roof needs replacing too but they want to wait on that.
3. One side rents for $1100 and has a current tenant, but the other side is empty and the husband told my husband "the rent from the other side will cover the mortgage so it's okay if we can't get tenants in this one."
4. He installs cable and his wife is a teacher and they are expecting their third baby.

Nothing is set in stone yet so I'm going to try to talk him out of it this weekend over some beers. If he really wants a rental there is one near our rental that's a 4-plex for 160k bringing in the same amount of rent as the one he wants, but he doesn't like it cause it's not in the fancy part of town.

Dude wants to be a vanity slumlord lol

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SquirrelFace posted:

It is super illegal to use a loan as a down payment to qualify for a mortgage and they won't be approved for a mortgage at any bank or credit union. So, don't worry.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 11, 2017

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

It is super illegal to use a loan to as a down payment to qualify for a mortgage and they won't be approved for a mortgage at any bank or credit union. So, don't worry.

That's what I said! But he apparently told my husband that this was a special kind of loan you could use as down payment...:rolleyes:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

But it's a line of credit on their house. The debt to income and total debt could make approvals rough, but it's not like they have a loan from a family member which is the big no no on the down payment?

Do I have that wrong?

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

My first two suits were Joseph A Bank Buy one get ones. Ran about $330 for two with tailoring, one rushed. It got me the job!

Three years and 40 lbs. later, had to get another one. K&G, 220 bucks. Got the job again!

Gaining weight is bad with money.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

crazypeltast52 posted:

But it's a line of credit on their house. The debt to income and total debt could make approvals rough, but it's not like they have a loan from a family member which is the big no no on the down payment?

Do I have that wrong?

I think that's what it is since the have a bit of equity in their house....still think it's really dumb.

Edit: Actually, I think it's highly unlikely they'll get approved since the mortgage on their house and this duplex will be over 50% of their income. That's before you even add in his $600 a month leased truck...

SquirrelFace fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 11, 2017

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

It is super illegal to use a loan as a down payment to qualify for a mortgage and they won't be approved for a mortgage at any bank or credit union. So, don't worry.

"Yes, 911? I have this guy standing in my bank trying to use some money he borrowed for a down payment. Can you send a squad car please?"

Forging documents and lying could potentially be illegal, but getting a loan for a down payment certainly is not.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dustoph posted:

"Yes, 911? I have this guy standing in my bank trying to use some money he borrowed for a down payment. Can you send a squad car please?"

Forging documents and lying could potentially be illegal, but getting a loan for a down payment certainly is not.

No bank is going to approve a mortgage with a 70k loan as a down payment. The only way they would is if they misrepresented the source of the income. It is not literally illegal, but the only way their plan would work is if they did something illegal.

I was just trying to be snippy in one sentence.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Me too :tipshat:

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

No bank is going to approve a mortgage with a 70k loan as a down payment. The only way they would is if they misrepresented the source of the income. It is not literally illegal, but the only way their plan would work is if they did something illegal.

Plenty of banks do 80/15 mortgages or even 80/20.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Lieing to an FDIC insured bank is a federal crime that can be punished by up to 30 years in jail.

Federal prosecutors supposedly love it when they are going after politicians for whatever other crime because it is very, very common. If someone ever misrepresented their expected income or borrowed money from family/friends/lobbyists for a down payment or to show they had the necessary cash reserves on hand they can use the severity of the potential punishment and the fact that with access to their bank records how relatively easy to prove guilt is to force a plea bargain.

They used it in The Wire and referred to it as "The headshot" but it's apparently a real thing. http://davidsimon.com/kwame-brown-another-federal-case-another-head-shot/

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

blackmet posted:

My first two suits were Joseph A Bank Buy one get ones. Ran about $330 for two with tailoring, one rushed. It got me the job!

Three years and 40 lbs. later, had to get another one. K&G, 220 bucks. Got the job again!

Gaining weight is bad with money.

If you want a cheap suit that isn't an uncomfortable polyester garbage bag, and have time to wait, J. Crew outlets have decent suits for $200 on sale (called the Thompson suit). High arm holes, 2 button with a moderate button stance, the only thing I can fault them on is the lapels being a little narrow.

Most of their sales exclude suits, but a couple times a year they go for half off ~400, down to $200. That's what I did for my wedding. 100% wool with a breathable lining. I wore it for several hours in 85 degrees, I was perfectly comfortable until I started dancing.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was perfectly comfortable until I started dancing.

I was a guest at his wedding and also was perfectly comfortable until he started dancing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

:golfclap:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Another person dealt with the issue of "owner works for 9 hours a day" by putting the dog in the bathroom and training it to poop in the tub. They seemed proud of themselves for this innovative solution.

was it a great dane? i also worked with this person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I didn't even think you could get cash from HELOCs any more. I only briefly looked at them and my credit union required approval of whatever you put the money into improving on the house.

• Locked thread