Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
apple really does not give a poo poo about developers lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
They could always develop for Android.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

iPhones would be much worse without 3rd party apps, all their advertisement features 3rd party apps ("look at this guy teaching starving children in Uganda expressive horse racing using his iPad!"), and the app store makes them a lot of money.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Holy poo poo Apple needs Steve Ballmer.

eames
May 9, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

note: Lids have to be slightly open for the macbooks to not sleep.

state_of_the_mac.jpg

10 years ago this would have been a terrible aprils fools' hoax, Cook made it reality. :bravo:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

eames posted:

state_of_the_mac.jpg

10 years ago this would have been a terrible aprils fools' hoax, Cook made it reality. :bravo:

Mac Mini server farms were a thing ten years ago.

Not as silly as this, but still pretty silly.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

next mac "desktop" will just be the macbookpro with no keyboard and no screen. "courage"

stevewm
May 10, 2005
That comes from here: https://simbimbo.wordpress.com/2015/07/24/well-im-at-it-again-this-time-with-macbook-pros/

It is for product testing. He has pretty sound reasoning for doing it this way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

stevewm posted:

That comes from here: https://simbimbo.wordpress.com/2015/07/24/well-im-at-it-again-this-time-with-macbook-pros/

Runaway thermal failure of the batteries would be really exciting.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I may be able to get a free laptop through my work. Does anyone have experience with the 12" MacBook with the lowest specs (m3 chip)? How much of a limitation is the slow chip for heavy web browsing? This would get pretty light usage but it would be annoying to have it slow down when I get 10 Chrome tabs open.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Give your boss a couple hund and upgrade it's a big diff.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

stevewm posted:

It's okay for his use case, but it'd be nice for Joe Sysadmin to be able to run 48U of Macs

Smashing Link posted:

I may be able to get a free laptop through my work. Does anyone have experience with the 12" MacBook with the lowest specs (m3 chip)? How much of a limitation is the slow chip for heavy web browsing? This would get pretty light usage but it would be annoying to have it slow down when I get 10 Chrome tabs open.

I have the base 2015 model, it's fantastic.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

next mac "desktop" will just be the macbookpro with no keyboard and no screen. "courage"

congrats you just invented the Mac mini?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Strong Sauce posted:

so edgy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Mac Mini server farms were a thing ten years ago.

Not as silly as this, but still pretty silly.

Still literally a thing https://macminicolo.net

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

FCKGW posted:

congrats you just invented the Mac mini?

the imagery of a flat thin desktop with 4 usb-c ports on the side was what i was going for, but yes. a mac mini that is completely un-upgradeable.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

TACD posted:

I keep forgetting they really did that. I'll probably need to replace my phone soon and every time I start to consider a new iPhone I have to remind myself I won't be able to use it for music. Guh.

Arivia posted:

I'm looking at buying an iMac, but wow are the current offerings bad and outdated. I know MacRumours says don't buy, but do we have any indications about an update? I'm guessing WWDC at the latest, but June is a long way away. (I'm upgrading from a 2012 MBP I've basically trashed.)

What are you doing that makes it truly outdated? Bought one in November after they weren't refreshed, and aside from an occasionally weird wakes it up from sleep mode bug it's the best desktop I've ever owned. Photoshop user,plenty of browser tabs open etc.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

updating iphones and backing them up already take a long time. no need to prolong it by doing it wirelessly.

would be cooler if i could get them matte black. but also i think the idea of having to use siri to skip to the next tune or change volume kinda sucks. i hope they change that in the next version.

also apple has a support twitter page now at https://twitter.com/applesupport.

oddly enough their official apple account has no tweets, but has secret ad tweets that tell me when i'm not using wireless, i could be using LTE! (on my ipad pro)... i feel like they're apple's worst ads since those dumb genius ones.

Color ware has you covered...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LionArcher posted:

What are you doing that makes it truly outdated? Bought one in November after they weren't refreshed, and aside from an occasionally weird wakes it up from sleep mode bug it's the best desktop I've ever owned. Photoshop user,plenty of browser tabs open etc.

I'm not doing anything in particular, but it's pretty loving absurd that a $3k CAD iMac ships in 2017 with the same amount of RAM (8gb) and VRAM (1gb) as my non-Retina 2012 MBP that I'm trying to upgrade from. I know that Apple offers options for more, but I shouldn't have to pay - it's like how they were still selling 16gb iPhones until, what, last year? Computer specs aren't always directly comparable, but I'm not complaining about an i5 having less clock speed than a P4, it's RAM. And for $3k, I want a computer that's going to last a good long while and be usable until the next time I can afford a new one. 8gb RAM is already a stretch today in some respects, let alone five years down the road like my MBP has lasted me. Yes, I know I can replace the RAM on a 27" iMac myself still, but I shouldn't have to.

(And I don't do much that's stressful. Playing WoW and occasionally having 50+ browser tabs open at a time is about the worst of it.)

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

To be honest these days if someone wants a powerful desktop and doesn't need Xcode I point them towards PCs. You can build a hell of a machine for 2k, and Apple just has nothing there worth discussing. Even laptops, LG Gram and XPS are pretty darn good, and I'm a fan of the Surface Book as I've posted before (but I didn't have to pay for it).

The rMBPs in a good config with enough SSD and RAM and a dGPU are 3000 CAD + and have been for the past few years, which really only makes sense if you aren't too attached to the money and are attached to OS X.

Upgrading my iPhone and MBP with more Apple gear used to be a sure thing, for at least a decade. Now I'm not so sure.

Still, though. We'll see.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Arivia posted:

I'm not doing anything in particular, but it's pretty loving absurd that a $3k CAD iMac ships in 2017 with the same amount of RAM (8gb) and VRAM (1gb) as my non-Retina 2012 MBP that I'm trying to upgrade from. I know that Apple offers options for more, but I shouldn't have to pay - it's like how they were still selling 16gb iPhones until, what, last year? Computer specs aren't always directly comparable, but I'm not complaining about an i5 having less clock speed than a P4, it's RAM. And for $3k, I want a computer that's going to last a good long while and be usable until the next time I can afford a new one. 8gb RAM is already a stretch today in some respects, let alone five years down the road like my MBP has lasted me. Yes, I know I can replace the RAM on a 27" iMac myself still, but I shouldn't have to.

(And I don't do much that's stressful. Playing WoW and occasionally having 50+ browser tabs open at a time is about the worst of it.)

Two words for you: Refurb Store. I paid I think $2100 for a refurb, and threw in a ton of extra ram. Ended up paying $2500 for 24 of ram, and software I need for my business. I do lots of photo editing (I'm a publisher) and always have Chrome and Safari open, 50+ tabs included. Runs like a dream.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Pivo posted:

To be honest these days if someone wants a powerful desktop and doesn't need Xcode I point them towards PCs. You can build a hell of a machine for 2k, and Apple just has nothing there worth discussing. Even laptops, LG Gram and XPS are pretty darn good, and I'm a fan of the Surface Book as I've posted before (but I didn't have to pay for it).

The rMBPs in a good config with enough SSD and RAM and a dGPU are 3000 CAD + and have been for the past few years, which really only makes sense if you aren't too attached to the money and are attached to OS X.

Upgrading my iPhone and MBP with more Apple gear used to be a sure thing, for at least a decade. Now I'm not so sure.

Still, though. We'll see.

You can build a hell of a machine for 2k, but you add in a 5k display and the fact that it's running Mac OS, and I don't see it. But then different use cases I guess. I'm running a business, 5k imac is the best tool for my job. If you want to play a lot of games, windows machine makes sense.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

LionArcher posted:

You can build a hell of a machine for 2k, but you add in a 5k display and the fact that it's running Mac OS, and I don't see it. But then different use cases I guess. I'm running a business, 5k imac is the best tool for my job. If you want to play a lot of games, windows machine makes sense.

Nah man it's not just about games. Who games on a Mac? 5k display, okay, why not 4k? You have so many different options for huge pixel density in desktop panels, it's not like Apple has a monopoly on pixels.

FCPX, Xcode, what else is Mac exclusive but heavily used professionally?

Look, I enjoy my rMBP, but I just think professionals should take a serious look at whether they should depend on Apple for hardware anymore. I've been with 'em for over a decade but these past 2 years have not been good. Getting rid of the 17" MBP was step 1...

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Pivo posted:

Nah man it's not just about games. Who games on a Mac? 5k display, okay, why not 4k? You have so many different options for huge pixel density in desktop panels, it's not like Apple has a monopoly on pixels.

Look, I enjoy my rMBP, but I just think professionals should take a serious look at whether they should depend on Apple for hardware anymore. I've been with 'em for over a decade but these past 2 years have not been good. Getting rid of the 17" MBP was step 1...

I'm an author and a publisher, so the difference in terms of pixel count actually matters to me a LOT. I'm staring at a screen 8-14 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. When you're spending all that time looking at text, the difference between 4K and 5k does add up, and made a difference for me. Not to mention, while windows has come a long way, it's not as clean. It just ins't. My apple poo poo just works, and gets out of my way so I can get my work done. I know other publisher's who do use windows, and they run into technically issues way more than I do. Don't get me wrong, I'm a major fanboy, but if it was truly better on the other side, I'd jump in a heartbeat.
I have another program called Vellum (made for publishing novels) that is mac based only as well. Scrivener is more fully featured on mac. Not to mention FaceTime, iMessage (that it works so seamlessly across all mac devices is HUGE. Snapchat works better on iPhone... the list slowly adds up more and more why it makes sense for this professional to stick in the ecosystem.

Also, as someone who plans on expanding his business to YouTube in the next year, FCPX is another major factor for sure.

Them getting rid of the SD card on the RMPB is a major bummer though. I think the 17 inch argument needs to die though. It's over and it's never coming back.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

LionArcher posted:

lIt's over and it's never coming back.

Same could be said for your workflow.

Sent from my iPhone.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Pivo posted:

Same could be said for your workflow.

Sent from my iPhone.

My workflow of an Imac working with iOS?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The 12″ Powerbook came back, kind of.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Platystemon posted:

The 12″ Powerbook came back, kind of.

Yes, but I will be the first to say gently caress that keyboard. Otherwise I would love the poo poo out of that computer, and would basically never use an iPad. Weirdly enough, I'm totally fine with the new MBP keyboards. The extra click does make all the difference to me. If only they could have put the keys of the magic keyboard 2 in the laptops. It's my favorite keyboard out there right now.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pivo posted:

FWIW it still works really well for scientists.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cingulate posted:

FWIW it still works really well for scientists.

From what I've seen academic research labs are stuck on Macs because of a combination of a really excellent native terminal, ability to compile / run *nix stuff, but still has native MS Excel because for some reason that's what collaborators keep sending.

If there was Excel for Linux they'd have jumped ship years ago, but gently caress dealing with WINE or VMs.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

From what I've seen academic research labs are stuck on Macs because of a combination of a really excellent native terminal, ability to compile / run *nix stuff, but still has native MS Excel because for some reason that's what collaborators keep sending.

If there was Excel for Linux they'd have jumped ship years ago, but gently caress dealing with WINE or VMs.
I wouldn't generally (I'm sure there's exceptions) count people who're reliant on Excel under scientists really, but sadly, Word is indeed rather important. So it's good we can both SSH into the compute servers as well as open Word docs from the 80yo science legend on one machine.

That said, there's also the comfort/usability side side. Macbooks travel well. Scientists go to conferences a lot. Having a light and small computer with 10 hours of battery life is good.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

When I worked in aerospace R&D it was all Linux VMs on massive clusters of headless nodes, development was Windows or Linux on "workstations" (like, Xeons with 64gb of RAM).

I really struggle to find a good business case for an OS X workstation these days. Which was our whole thing, right!? It's a *nix with a nice GUI! But it doesn't make sense anymore.

Oh well.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Cingulate posted:

That said, there's also the comfort/usability side side. Macbooks travel well. Scientists go to conferences a lot. Having a light and small computer with 10 hours of battery life is good.

Yes but then you get into the whole "I can buy something more powerful for half the price and everyone just VPNs into our cluster anyway" thing ...

Honestly I really do love Apple hardware, but when you're talking about iMac or Mac Pro, you HAVE to admit their offerings are weak and overpriced and industries have ways around that.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pivo posted:

Yes but then you get into the whole "I can buy something more powerful for half the price and everyone just VPNs into our cluster anyway" thing ...
That works the other way. Compute power on the laptop isn't so important for many. Neither is gaming. Good screen, good handling, good OS matter much more. So you stay with the Macbook or MBP.

The Air is extremely prevalent amongst researchers I know. The MB should be even better.
Many don't like the new Pro though cause it's so expensive. Scientists are well off, but not rich!

Pivo posted:

I really struggle to find a good business case for an OS X workstation these days. Which was our whole thing, right!? It's a *nix with a nice GUI! But it doesn't make sense anymore.
Yes ... And the decked-out Pros might also become rarer.
I don't know. Non-Mac laptops are becoming so much better these days. Maybe things will change.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Cingulate posted:

I wouldn't generally (I'm sure there's exceptions) count people who're reliant on Excel under scientists really, but sadly, Word is indeed rather important. So it's good we can both SSH into the compute servers as well as open Word docs from the 80yo science legend on one machine.

??? Are all of the people with PhDs at a tier 1 research university I know doing active research funded by the NIH, NSF, DOD, and DOE not scientists? I don't think I know anyone who doesn't end up either using Excel at some point or receiving xlsx files from someone they then need to export and dump into Matlab/R to do their work with.

I've seen many papers come out of this department recently into high profile journals where the data was manipulated exclusively on Macs with Excel and GraphPad Prism.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

??? Are all of the people with PhDs at a tier 1 research university I know doing active research funded by the NIH, NSF, DOD, and DOE not scientists? I don't think I know anyone who doesn't end up either using Excel at some point or receiving xlsx files from someone they then need to export and dump into Matlab/R to do their work with.

I've seen many papers come out of this department recently into high profile journals where the data was manipulated exclusively on Macs with Excel and GraphPad Prism.

he's probably a particle physicist or something

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I wasn't being serious. I was making an elitist joke because I can do a bit of Python.

(Now people who use Matlab - can you really call them scientists?..)

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

he's probably a particle physicist or something
linguist

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I joined Team Dongle with one of those refurb'ed 13 inch no touchy Pros. Ordered a dongle for each port.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cingulate posted:

Plenty of science can be done in Excel still. Hydraulic analysis and civil/structural engineering finale element analysis for pipeline deflection/stress/stiffening research can still effectively be done using Excel and VBA scripting. It might not output pretty images and renderings like the dedicated software packages like ANSYS do, but for non-client purposes it's fine.

I did my Masters and parts of a Ph. D for hydrosystems engineering with heavy Excel involvement - it's still useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Pivo posted:

Logic