Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

TheBizzness posted:

Meh. Can't believe we haven't released Misi yet.

I've no problem believing they'll hold onto Misi till the draft, just to make sure they don't get caught without enough bodies.

How come Pittsburgh hasn't made more effort to keep Timmons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I seem to remember somebody a couple years ago that claimed they would refuse to play under the tag, since if they got injured their career would be hosed with no long term contract. I thought back then that the player would become an unrestricted FA after sitting out the franchise tag year. I think it was a DB or a safety or something and they did end up getting a deal worked out, but it seemed perfectly sensible to me that a person would want to sit out a year in order to preserve their career. Is this an option for Cousins? Am I completely misremembering what happened and/or totally wrong about how sitting out a tagged year works?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

tarbrush posted:

I've no problem believing they'll hold onto Misi till the draft, just to make sure they don't get caught without enough bodies.

They apparently offered him a fair deal, too. He just decided to move on. We probably paid a little more.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/840297535184990210

Congratulations to Mike Glennon for setting the new world record for quickest vote of confidence.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Did we already talk about DJ Fluker visiting the Giants? I sorta wish he'd visit the Colts.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ehud posted:

They apparently offered him a fair deal, too. He just decided to move on. We probably paid a little more.
Mike Tomlin was probably too hip-hop for him.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/840299325255229440

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

fsif posted:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/840297535184990210

Congratulations to Mike Glennon for setting the new world record for quickest vote of confidence.

lol this is so pathetic

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Stills contract

https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/840299912214515714

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Lions will still find a way to split the season series with the Bears.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Inspector 34 posted:

I seem to remember somebody a couple years ago that claimed they would refuse to play under the tag, since if they got injured their career would be hosed with no long term contract. I thought back then that the player would become an unrestricted FA after sitting out the franchise tag year. I think it was a DB or a safety or something and they did end up getting a deal worked out, but it seemed perfectly sensible to me that a person would want to sit out a year in order to preserve their career. Is this an option for Cousins? Am I completely misremembering what happened and/or totally wrong about how sitting out a tagged year works?

You don't accrue a year of service time if you don't play at least 6 (? I think it's 6) games, so the team could just franchise you again and the number wouldn't go up I believe. Vincent Jackson did this his last year in San Diego, just sat out as a gently caress you and then signed for the end of the season.

That's probably the most leverage Cousins would theoretically have, but he reportedly signed his tender and now he's going to be stuck there for a year.

I mean there is some leverage for just flat out sitting out too of course, but if you go all the way the team can just gently caress you again next year as far as I know.

e: Hell I must be remembering this wrong, Jackson played 16 games in his last year in San Diego. Don't listen to me, although I am pretty sure the player is just screwed if he's franchised and sitting out the whole year won't fix things.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 10, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Grittybeard posted:

You don't accrue a year of service time if you don't play at least 6 (? I think it's 6) games, so the team could just franchise you again and the number wouldn't go up I believe. Vincent Jackson did this his last year in San Diego, just sat out as a gently caress you and then signed for the end of the season.

That's probably the most leverage Cousins would theoretically have, but he reportedly signed his tender and now he's going to be stuck there for a year.

I mean there is some leverage for just flat out sitting out too of course, but if you go all the way the team can just gently caress you again next year as far as I know.

e: Hell I must be remembering this wrong, Jackson played 16 games in his last year in San Diego. Don't listen to me, although I am pretty sure the player is just screwed if he's franchised and sitting out the whole year won't fix things.
I think you are remembering what he did right, it just wasnt his last year. I think he did that when they Franchised him or gave him a lowball offer or something. I dont exactly remember it either but I think he played there another season or two before he walked in FA.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/840303100137209856

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

WTF.

Kony Ealy to move from 72 to 64.

Why.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Works out to be 8 slots in the draft.

Seems promising for a 25 year old guy putting up 5 sacks a year.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Thanks for trading him to the Patriots, assholes

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

He a 3-down guy or more rotational?

Bill loves his 2nd rounders, so I fully expect him to do something to get another one very soon.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Ok that makes some sense. I guess I thought that if a player sat out their franchise year and didn't sign the tender or a contract then they would be free and clear to sign with whoever they want the following year.

I wonder how this whole situation is viewed by players around the NFL though, I mean dicking around with players and personnel cannot be looked on kindly and has got to affect people's decision to work/play for the organization.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Kony Ealy is an absolutely infuriating player and had exactly one (1) good game. Not at all sorry to see him go.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Who is Kony Ealy and why does that sounds like a fake name?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Alter Ego posted:

He a 3-down guy or more rotational?

He played 60% of defensive snaps for the Panthers last year and some ST. So yeah, two down guy, rotational pass rusher

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Vernon Butler better be the loving truth then. Gotta trust Gettleman, he's earned that right but gently caress if it doesnt worry me

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

tarbrush posted:

My understanding was they had a pretty firm ceiling for what they would pay him and he got more from Miami. They got hosed for a couple years there by extensions they'd given to guys in their declining years and they just refused to do anything close to that here because of the younger guys they have and will have to shell out for.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

There was an African warlord who got memed somehow called Kony

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

RumbleFish posted:

Kony Ealy is an absolutely infuriating player and had exactly one (1) good game. Not at all sorry to see him go.

Can't fault his timing on that good game at least.

Shame he can't seem to put things together and be a consistently good player, I still think he theoretically has the tools.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

He would've been the MVP of Super Bowl 50 if the Panthers won

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
8 spots for a situational pass rusher and some ST value seems like a great deal.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/840305222148870145

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Patriots somehow turned Shea McClellin into a servicable player last year, so sure, let's go with a player who actually showed some promise once ever

They also got nothing but ST snaps out of Barkevious Mingo, so that's cool too.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/840305621182382084

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

When's the last time a team actually got the better of the Pats in a trade?

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Can't fault his timing on that good game at least.

Shame he can't seem to put things together and be a consistently good player, I still think he theoretically has the tools.

For sure -- he likely would've been the Super Bowl MVP. I don't blame Gettleman at all for rewarding him and thinking he could be a building block for this team, but yeah, "inconsistent" doesn't begin to cover it. Feels like he gets flagged for offsides/neutral zone infractions on like half of his snaps, too.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

fsif posted:

Jordan Poyer signed with the Bills.

Browns fans does this move matter literally at all or is he just a warm body?

It was a foregone conclusion that we were using our 2nd first to take a safety about half way through the season. He's a room temp body on a good day.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Are you making GBS threads me

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
AFC West-cest

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Shangri-Law School posted:

Mmmaybe Seymour? Dunno, at worst they're generally good trades

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Bye TP wish you would have stayed.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Pryor is a good pickup for the Skins after losing Djax and Garcon. Pryor/Crowder/Doctson isn't too bad for a WR trio, I know Doctson hasn't played an NFL snap yet

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Shangri-Law School posted:

The Cardinals got Chandler Jones. The Patriots got Cyrus Jones and Jonathan Cooper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Cardinals got Chandler Jones. The Patriots got Cyrus Jones and Jonathan Cooper.

.... yeah, that's a pretty good one.

• Locked thread