Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Stroop There It Is posted:

Guys, which videos should I show my sister to begin indoctrinating her into the McElverse? I'm thinking the Sims Monster Factory, 'cause she's not a ~gamer~ but she's played some iteration of that.

When I was watching through them, that was one of my least favorites - not bad but not as fun as the other ones. I'd go with Failing to Clone the Rock, which I used to get my sister hooked, or Exploding Shephard's Face Bones for the sheer over-the-top-ness of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Stroop There It Is posted:

They could've gotten way gnarlier with the makeup, but DJ Slime Time was pretty great as-is.

Guys, which videos should I show my sister to begin indoctrinating her into the McElverse? I'm thinking the Sims Monster Factory, 'cause she's not a ~gamer~ but she's played some iteration of that.

That one, maybe the Oblivion one since it's just a lot of loving around with console commands, and probably even Car Boys to some extent. And maybe TIBaS, if you think she'd enjoy something very Justin. Does it have to be video, though? If you don't want to start with MBMBaM proper, you might be able to find some intersect interest in the McElroy Expanded Universe material.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

"I hate you, Ron" is my go-to McElroy intro

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Or maybe even the episode of the TV show that's on YouTube. The show is pretty fantastic.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
All of the Monster Factories are pretty good, but when I heard Knife Dad's character history I literally laughed so hard I started choking and almost asphyxiated. None of the other Monster Factory videos almost killed me. I also recommend either the sampler (I haven't heard it but presumably that's what it's for??) or the "bullied into eating little purple flowers" thing because that's what hooked me on the ride.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I know you wanted videos but that The Gambler bit is also a killer

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's old as hell but Peepums Nastygum is the first episode I listened to and I was on board immediately.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

purple death ray posted:

Or maybe even the episode of the TV show that's on YouTube. The show is pretty fantastic.

I don't know how this didn't cross my mind, but yeah, the show is a pretty perfect distillation of their brand, and short enough that it wouldn't be a huge investment for her.

If we're recommending bits, the Cracker Barrel skit is one of my favorites. That, or not knowing anything about Ray Donovan except that it's what we need in our lives.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Thanks for all the suggestions! I was thinking she'd take more to a video, knowing her, but I can definitely see if she likes the samplers/select clips. I don't know why I didn't think of the show, that's a great idea.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This might be my favorite but from Monster Factory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frrv1BAm-P0

showbiz_liz posted:

I know you wanted videos but that The Gambler bit is also a killer

Die in your sleep is the only good advice they've ever given

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
The whole Tit Liquid bit is the hardest I ever laughed at the podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKuEtAyTPtg

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Coffee And Pie posted:

This might be my favorite but from Monster Factory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frrv1BAm-P0

Die in your sleep is the only good advice they've ever given

the canon of Kenny Rodgers getting frustrated with a game and going to 'die in your sleep' has become a common bit in my group now thanks to that. Now whenever someone complains about a level or something the first answer is almost always ends in 'and then die in your sleep'.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
A good bet is to show her the monster factory's perfect recreation of the American cartoon icon Bart Simpson. It's just like Bart™!

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Just like bart!

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

SpacePig posted:

That, or not knowing anything about Ray Donovan except that it's what we need in our lives.

i hope he fixes his dad's toilet sometime

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
The Garfield Monstrosity is a classic intro to the MBMBAM world.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The first bit that got me was the Warrior Cat name segment, it's like a good little representation of the MBMBAM way of comedy. Bizarre yahoo question (since I had no idea Warrior Cat was a thing), Griffin smoothly rattling off name after name, Travis offering input when possible, and Justin dying of laughter off to the side.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Lovegoose was it for me

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3PuN1M1D6g This was always my favorite bit

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Mercury Hat posted:

(since I had no idea Warrior Cat was a thing)

Say what now

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

http://www.warriorcats.com/

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

I don't know if this makes that question make more or less sense

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
My sister loves those books, so when I heard that segment I was like "yeah, sure, Warrior Cats, of course"

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
Griffin and Justin were special guests on an episode of Drawfee today where they help design a board game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bF3ofvI8bM

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Neon Knight posted:

Griffin and Justin were special guests on an episode of Drawfee today where they help design a board game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bF3ofvI8bM

That was really funny, thanks for sharing!

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I found the Big Gulp and now I regret finding the Big Gulp

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

showbiz_liz posted:

My sister loves those books, so when I heard that segment I was like "yeah, sure, Warrior Cats, of course"

(at least in the early 2000s in New York City) they were just branded as "Warriors" with cat pictures on the cover. I only made the connection ages after hearing the bit.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Psychedelicatessen posted:

I found the Big Gulp and now I regret finding the Big Gulp

Irony is a dangerous tool, easily abused. Did you look up the accompanying YouTube videos?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Binged through all of TAZ in like two weeks.

Really great show that gave me a lot of cool insight on how to run a campaign in a different style (I DM as well). And it was also a really great listen... except for the Suffering Game, which I really hated.

A lot of it was just imagining me setting up a campaign where I was going to handicap and remove powers from a party that had been playing those characters for years, with the all-but-explicit knowledge that they wouldn't gain anything tangible in return for it. I would hate to run it and I know the crew I play with would hate playing it, and I think I could hear the frustration in the podcast with the campaign too. And I think the final battle would be a pretty savage kick in the dick, too. If someone did that to my character I probably wouldn't come back next week.

But also this is coming off of Eleventh Hour, which was a really great campaign structure that paid off really well. Still a good show, can't wait to see what's next.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

RyokoTK posted:

Binged through all of TAZ in like two weeks.

Really great show that gave me a lot of cool insight on how to run a campaign in a different style (I DM as well). And it was also a really great listen... except for the Suffering Game, which I really hated.

A lot of it was just imagining me setting up a campaign where I was going to handicap and remove powers from a party that had been playing those characters for years, with the all-but-explicit knowledge that they wouldn't gain anything tangible in return for it. I would hate to run it and I know the crew I play with would hate playing it, and I think I could hear the frustration in the podcast with the campaign too. And I think the final battle would be a pretty savage kick in the dick, too. If someone did that to my character I probably wouldn't come back next week.

But also this is coming off of Eleventh Hour, which was a really great campaign structure that paid off really well. Still a good show, can't wait to see what's next.

If there wasn't that trust between the players and the GM (and even the trust built up between them and the podcast audience!) it could've gone really wrong, yeah, but that trust was there and it's definitely going solid places.

If you're listening to things with an ear for good DMing, I highly recommend Friends at the Table. I just finished Counter/Weight on that and it was so loving fantastic -- definitely worth pushing through the really early episodes with audio issues. I'm partway into Marielda now and I'm just so excited for how that's going.

(Is there a Friends at the Table thread on here somewhere? I'd be surprised if there wasn't.)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't have a ton of D&D experience, but everytime I've played, the party has refused to do anything they thought the DM wanted them to do. I think it would be hard to replicate the TAZ stuff in a real game because TAZ relies on the party allowing themselves to get railroaded.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

PostNouveau posted:

I don't have a ton of D&D experience, but everytime I've played, the party has refused to do anything they thought the DM wanted them to do. I think it would be hard to replicate the TAZ stuff in a real game because TAZ relies on the party allowing themselves to get railroaded.

A certain amount of railroading or forced decision making is just a concession the players have to make for the sake of the narrative or the structure of the campaign/play session. If players just ardently refuse to play along with the DM at the basic level then they're being kinda lovely players. But obviously that's a two-sided coin, since if the DM is constantly shutting down player creativity then he's being a bad DM. Generally Griffin is pretty good at that balance, especially since they're making a narrative for a podcast and not just having a session by themselves.

Suffering Game was pretty much seven sessions of forced decisions and player punishments that they didn't earn and weren't rewarded. And also essentially removing one player from the final fight, again, is a pretty lousy move that removes a lot of potential satisfaction from having put up with all that bullshit. I get the intention, I think: they were obviously attached to their characters after 2 years and having to suffer losses was supposed to be a difficult player choice. The problem I guess is that there wasn't a choice, nor could clever or inspired play mitigate those choices. Removing player agency you do at your own risk, and Griffin is very good at maintaining player agency at the sake of the rules and imo that is good DMing.

Obviously the crew trust Griffin to make sure it works out for the show in the end, and I'm sure there were a lot of people that were hooked on it, but I know I would be a very unpopular DM for running a game like that and I was really tough for me to listen to as a result.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I used to be where you are now on the railroading aspect, but honestly it makes for better radio this way. You really have to put the "If I was a player in this game, I would XYZ" aspect out of your head and just enjoy a good story unfolding.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Kojiro posted:

I used to be where you are now on the railroading aspect, but honestly it makes for better radio this way. You really have to put the "If I was a player in this game, I would XYZ" aspect out of your head and just enjoy a good story unfolding.

It's not an issue I have with railroading, since I agree that it's necessary for the format, and there are other arcs that were railroad-heavy like Crystal Kingdom that I thought still made for good adventuring.

It's just that if you want to have a campaign based around successive deals with the devil, you gotta pay out at least a bit.

eta: or maybe more accurately, a devil deal should be made by the player, not the DM. But who cares, it's over.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 12, 2017

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
My recommendation for McElroy indoctrination would be Tit Liquid, Cake Boss or The Name of Your Dad

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RyokoTK posted:

It's not an issue I have with railroading, since I agree that it's necessary for the format, and there are other arcs that were railroad-heavy like Crystal Kingdom that I thought still made for good adventuring.

It's just that if you want to have a campaign based around successive deals with the devil, you gotta pay out at least a bit.

eta: or maybe more accurately, a devil deal should be made by the player, not the DM. But who cares, it's over.

The Suffering Game wasn't about deals with the devil though. They made that abundantly clear early on when they figured out the whole thing was getting off on their suffering every time they got grumpy. It was about being trapped in a lovely place that was trying to bait them along with treasure that just wanted to feed off them, at least that's what I got out of it. I doubt they even would have made it to the exit if not for the cheating hand of the red robe creating a door out of the "game" and into the lair of the liches Maybe I read the whole thing wrong, but I think maybe in this situation the DM wanted them to figure out how to break the system but they didn't.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The justification of Wonderland in-universe is a deal with the devil, more or less. Sacrifice dearly for a tangible good you desire?

The actual players in this case were sacrificing for a MacGuffin, which kinda ruins the scales a little bit since they all knew they were just going to have to destroy the bell at the end of it anyway.

If there was a way they were supposed to break the game earlier, and they didn't figure it out, then I didn't either.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
I honestly wonder what the natural resolution to the arc was; what would have happened if Taako hadn't casted true sight? How many more rounds were they going to have to play? My guess is that Griffin was trying to bait them into giving up and breaking it anyway by being intentionally vague about how many games they'd have to play to finish.

I personally liked the arc, albeit more because of Edward/Lydia and the imagery of Wonderland than the actual game mechanics used.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

The justification of Wonderland in-universe is a deal with the devil, more or less. Sacrifice dearly for a tangible good you desire?

That was a lie designed to lure people in. They never gave anyone a reward. In fact, the only "prize" the liches ever even had in their possession is the Animus Bell, and they certainly never had any intention of giving that away. The whole thing is just a big trap, and the boys had that figured out pretty much from room 1.

I'm not sure if this affects your larger point at all, I just wanted to make it clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Hey cool, J Man is on a podcast ep with that fantasy writer guy and another dude.

Other dude is the giant loving idiot from cards against humanity, the literal polar opposite of the McElroy comedy style of accepting everything.

They somehow created a podcast with Justin I will not listen to.