Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't Daredevil, one of the shows he specifically lauds in comparison, also about a well-off white man who learns generic ninja skills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cultural appropriation is okay when the things I like do it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rocksicles posted:

This is why i don't read reviews. Someone always has an axe to grind.

This cultural appropriation poo poo rubs me the wrong way. You can't have a society where people aren't allowed to use any aspect of another culture.
There are plenty of Asian martial arts movies, the art of kicking someone in the face has no barriers.

If all you took from that quote was "this guy is mad about cultural appropriation" then boy did the point go zooming over your head.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mameluke posted:

Isn't Daredevil, one of the shows he specifically lauds in comparison, also about a well-off white man who learns generic ninja skills?

But he's blind, ergo a handicapped minority, so that makes it OK.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mameluke posted:

And the full review points out that all the Marvel shows have been flawed. But even then, I'm not sure that the comparison really sticks. DAREDEVIL is about a man who learns to fight well from Scott Glenn and takes a misguided tour into Ninja-ville. IRON FIST is steeped in Asian mysticism.

They could've easily just done as suggested in Sepinwall's review and made him Asian American. Problem solved. And it would still retain the 'Stranger in a strange land' vibe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That doesn't solve the problem because it still apparently has everyone else being a crappy, boring stereotype.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It solves the problem with the setup, clearly there are other problems with the execution.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

raditts posted:

If all you took from that quote was "this guy is mad about cultural appropriation" then boy did the point go zooming over your head.

He didn't like the show, yeah i totally got that. But it's not going to change my mind even a tiny bit. I'll judge it for myself.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Rocksicles posted:

Homeslice might have an axe to grind or is professionally angry, i don't know who he is. Sticking to the show reviews would be good, arguing arbitrary politics and theory crafting reasons for drama, no one bats an eyelid when this stuff happens 99% of the time.

Rocksicles' ideal Iron First review posted:

The show is shot and available for streaming in 4K. The entire season comes out on March 17th. The main character is portrayed by Finn Jones. It is a show about martial arts, and yet the fight scenes are scripted and nobody is actually getting harmed by the action unfolding on screen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay but please don't feel it necessary to report back.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hahah

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rocksicles posted:

He didn't like the show, yeah i totally got that. But it's not going to change my mind even a tiny bit. I'll judge it for myself.

You seem to be confused as to why he didn't like the show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I do get it, but i haven't seen it, so i can't agree or disagree.

I just don't see his other argument the way he does. It just seems selective.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I wonder why the FXnow app requires service provider information when the CW app doesn't. It just seems like a unnecessary hoop to follow in order to stream their videos.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder why the FXnow app requires service provider information when the CW app doesn't. It just seems like a unnecessary hoop to follow in order to stream their videos.

Presumably because FX is on cable and therefore makes its money on subscriber fees, whereas CW is over-the-air broadcast?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Cant help to watch When We Rise I hope it's really good.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I see netflix has added Into the Badlands. I was hype after seeing the trailer a year ago and promptly forgot it existed. Worth binging?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Okay but please don't feel it necessary to report back.

Yeah, no reporting of opinions necessary, constant one line snide barbs are a much better fit for this thread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you want to hear about that guy's blossoming racism you'll have other threads you can find it in I'm sure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Paracaidas posted:

I see netflix has added Into the Badlands. I was hype after seeing the trailer a year ago and promptly forgot it existed. Worth binging?

It's got some killer fight choreography and some very pretty sets but that's about it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It's got some killer fight choreography and some very pretty sets but that's about it.

Yeah it's worth watching for the fights alone. Far more elaborate and skillful than anything else i've ever seen on a TV show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah it's worth watching for the fights alone. Far more elaborate and skillful than anything else i've ever seen on a TV show.

I believe they had the cast take dance classes first. It's an old tactic for graceful fighting.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm watching the high court. I didn't know each episode was only 15 minutes. Probably would be better if they had weirder cases or maybe a real judge with comedian bailiffs who then got high and deliberated.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm sure there are a handful of others, but outside of those two, the UK Office, and Modern Family do any other single cam sitcoms actually do it? It's hardly some epidemic that's used in every half hour comedy show.

I meant that the shows that use that gimmick tend to over employ it throughtout the show, not that every show uses it. Modern Family probably does the best job in terms of using it less often. The Office uses it the most, PnR uses it alot and just a tad too much. Modern Family used it alot at the beginning of the show, but less and less as it went on.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh No watching When We Rise on a Friday morning was a terrible idea.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

I am full of ANGER and FIRE guys because apparently I can't download the app from the Playstation store, the latest ep of Legion isn't on Demand, and a teaser for next week might have ruined the last episode's twist (I'm assuming there is a twist, dammit, please don't confirm).

NOT GOOD, Bill.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There's no CW app on ps4, because no one likes to make apps for ps4. So I downloaded the app on my 360. Holy god it's bad. The episodes screen doesn't tell you the order of the episodes. To find out what number an episode is, you have to go to it's episode screen, which is like a 30 second load screen.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Oh No watching When We Rise on a Friday morning was a terrible idea.
Was it good? Critics didn't say much about it and it had terrible ratings. I feel bad that, for a project so ambitious, it didn't seem to make much of an impact.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Snak posted:

There's no CW app on ps4, because no one likes to make apps for ps4. So I downloaded the app on my 360. Holy god it's bad. The episodes screen doesn't tell you the order of the episodes. To find out what number an episode is, you have to go to it's episode screen, which is like a 30 second load screen.

Just get a Chromecast.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think I'm out of ports on my tv and why should I buy more poo poo? In like 5 years, cw will come out with a ps4 app.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And possibly something worth watching.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Playing Horizon Zero Dawn made me want to start watching The 100 again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Speaking of 'The 100', it was renewed today for season 5.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yer Burnt posted:

Was it good? Critics didn't say much about it and it had terrible ratings. I feel bad that, for a project so ambitious, it didn't seem to make much of an impact.

I liked it some parts really got to me. Overall I thought it was decent. It didn't explore transgender people's struggle for acceptance but that would be my only complaint.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, word is that Viacom is pulling out of Hulu's TV service before it even launches.

I would say their days on DirecTV Now are numbered unless they are giving them a pass since it's associated with traditional pay TV.

It's fascinating watching a media conglomerate commit suicide.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Isn't their stated goal to reinforce television watching? Or some weird dumb poo poo.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Their result is encouraging piracy so good call I guess Viacom! :shrug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hollismason posted:

Isn't their stated goal to reinforce television watching? Or some weird dumb poo poo.

They want to reinforce the traditional pay TV market.

What they are going to find is that in the world of OTT skinny bundles, people aren't going to pay extra for their channels because there's not a ton of worthwhile content.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

So, word is that Viacom is pulling out of Hulu's TV service before it even launches.

I would say their days on DirecTV Now are numbered unless they are giving them a pass since it's associated with traditional pay TV.

It's fascinating watching a media conglomerate commit suicide.

Didn't they just sign on with Hulu for the live-streaming backend like a few months ago after the initial month of All Access did a complete faceplant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Timby posted:

Didn't they just sign on with Hulu for the live-streaming backend like a few months ago after the initial month of All Access did a complete faceplant?

That's what was reported, yes.

At this point, they think if they put their fingers in their ears and hum really loudly, it will go back to 1985.

• Locked thread