Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bombogenesis posted:

As a cheap-rear end this was my hope. An HQ and fifteen dudes is just over 1k baseline according to my six seconds of research, and I'd assume if I wanted to get more bodies on the field I could bring in Sisters? It'll be a bit before I can go whole hog but I can easily grab a sprue or two from BoP and learn to hate building something new and exciting.

Thanks 30k thread.
Sisters require a Sister of Silence HQ to take; each HQ unlocks up to three units. Other than that limitation, yeah, you can take them alongside Custodes no problem. They are pretty focused on fighting psykers, but their basic unit is still armed with bolters and has a 3+ save. In elites, Oblivion Knights seem like they'll be pretty solid against anything. They all have 2 attacks and +1S AP3 two-handed swords that get AP2 on a 5 or 6 to hit. Ignoring my little divergence there, Sisters would be a good way to boost your numbers if you want to go that route. They also have the only assault transport in the list.

Edit: Oh gently caress, we're doing the top of page thing now, right?

Starting strong.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Bombogenesis posted:

As a cheap-rear end this was my hope. An HQ and fifteen dudes is just over 1k baseline according to my six seconds of research, and I'd assume if I wanted to get more bodies on the field I could bring in Sisters? It'll be a bit before I can go whole hog but I can easily grab a sprue or two from BoP and learn to hate building something new and exciting.

Thanks 30k thread.

Looks like GW is giving you another option for buying what you need: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/10/talons-of-the-emperor-in-the-41st-millennium/

If you play 40k, enjoy your extra Landraider, Rhino, and Contemptor Dreadnought. If not, you could probably sell them on eBay and, presumably, pay for most, or even all, of the box.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Please edit your post to include a picture of your toys.

Are there any White Scars players here? That's like the one loyalist faction I might consider playing.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
As everybody can probably tell from the state of the 40k thread, the age of the emperor is coming hard and fast. Normally this is the time where I recommend that you fire sell your rule books so you only pay $10-$20 for a new edition

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

As everybody can probably tell from the state of the 40k thread, the age of the emperor is coming hard and fast. Normally this is the time where I recommend that you fire sell your rule books so you only pay $10-$20 for a new edition

Wrong! Sad fake news.

https://twitter.com/GamesWerkshop/status/840245705121943553

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Please don't doxx me tia

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
It'd be nice if they made the custodes and sister of silence dataslate detachments 30k compatible so I can take stuff without a full allied detachment

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

It'd be nice if they made the custodes and sister of silence dataslate detachments 30k compatible so I can take stuff without a full allied detachment

I don't even think they make the models to field a valid 30k detatchment yet. None of the HQs are available are they?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Well the Tribune is.

As long as you can get down to Warham World/Warham Fest and have £45 to burn.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I do love that Ixion Hale model, he has the perfect "I sure am tired of these Star Wars" expression on his face and posture. Shame he hovers around $100 on eBay.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I do love that Ixion Hale model, he has the perfect "I sure am tired of these Star Wars" expression on his face and posture. Shame he hovers around $100 on eBay.

At this point I wish I'd bought 10 of the fuckers and scalped the hell out of the playerbase.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Really enjoying painting mine as well. The greataxe/gun is sweet and it's nice to see a passive pose on a Warham that doesn't make them look like they're confused.

The gating on the shoulders can go gently caress it's self though. Seems designed to tear off the top-part of the pauldron trim unless you painstakingly slowly whittle them down.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
While my BaC and BoP marines arrive, plus my Mk2 forgeworld stuff, I went to my FLGS and bought a tac marine box.

Some of them I'll turn into Mk5s later on (it comes with a couple of Mk5 torsos afterall and it doesn't take too much cutting and greenstuffing to turn mk7 heads into mk5 ones) and I can always use mk7s for my 40k army, but what's relevant now is that I'm building some mk6 marines.

Going to have to pick up two extra torsos and a head off ebay, but between these bits here and some shoulder pads from the Mk4 marines I've got enough for my 4 Mk6 marines I need for my vet squad. Going to get those put together and painted up soon to officially start my army.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 11, 2017

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
one of us one of us

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
gently caress it, I'm going full in on Heresy-era Smurfs.

Is there an army builder type of app or site I can use to pre-plan my purchases?
I'd like to sketch out my future pickups beyond BaC and BoP.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Immanentized posted:

Is there an army builder type of app or site I can use to pre-plan my purchases?

Battlescribe is medium good at this and I have an old version on my phone I use for everything, a number of prominent posters in this thread swear by Excel and I would assume have some Visual Basic code or macros or some poo poo to make it all chug along.

As far as purchase planning, my recommendation is to put 8% of your income into a retirement account, an additional 5% into index funds, budget $100 a week per person in your household for food, then subtract rent/mortgage and your remainder should go to resin.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Welcome, new posters. The badcast is required listening for all regulars.

Immanentized posted:

SRM and someone whos SA name I forget have great 30k ultras. They can hopefully give some tips on them.

chutche2 posted:

While my BaC and BoP marines arrive, plus my Mk2 forgeworld stuff, I went to my FLGS and bought a tac marine box.

Some of them I'll turn into Mk5s later on (it comes with a couple of Mk5 torsos afterall and it doesn't take too much cutting and greenstuffing to turn mk7 heads into mk5 ones) and I can always use mk7s for my 40k army, but what's relevant now is that I'm building some mk6 marines.

Going to have to pick up two extra torsos and a head off ebay, but between these bits here and some shoulder pads from the Mk4 marines I've got enough for my 4 Mk6 marines I need for my vet squad. Going to get those put together and painted up soon to officially start my army.

chutche2 posted:

chutche2 posted:

:getin: This is very good and also correct.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Battlescribe is medium good at this and I have an old version on my phone I use for everything, a number of prominent posters in this thread swear by Excel and I would assume have some Visual Basic code or macros or some poo poo to make it all chug along.

As far as purchase planning, my recommendation is to put 8% of your income into a retirement account, an additional 5% into index funds, budget $100 a week per person in your household for food, then subtract rent/mortgage and your remainder should go to resin.

As a banker, these numbers check out.

Thanks for the battlescribe rec, I'll check it out today.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TTerrible posted:

SRM and someone whos SA name I forget have great 30k ultras. They can hopefully give some tips on them

My Ultras are fairly fluffy in that there's a shitload of them, but they're not taking advantage of Interlocking Tactics as much as they could, which rewards MSU. My pro tips are to take a Deredeo and a quad mortar and shoot a lot of things. Stick to one of each at most if you want to keep your friends unless you're playing huge games or whatever.

I'm not especially good at the game or experienced in playing 30k but that's what I've taken away from it so far. Having a lot of fun with it though.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Link to bad cast pls

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

chutche2 posted:

Link to bad cast pls

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-40k-badcast/id1192743040?mt=2

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

I'm sorry that says 40k not 30k I'm not interested

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

I'm sorry that says 40k not 30k I'm not interested

I couldn't be prouder. Welcome to the fang, pup. Awuuuuuuu.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Bravo :golfclap:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

SRM posted:

My Ultras are fairly fluffy in that there's a shitload of them, but they're not taking advantage of Interlocking Tactics as much as they could, which rewards MSU. My pro tips are to take a Deredeo and a quad mortar and shoot a lot of things. Stick to one of each at most if you want to keep your friends unless you're playing huge games or whatever.

I'm not especially good at the game or experienced in playing 30k but that's what I've taken away from it so far. Having a lot of fun with it though.

Abuse rhinos and outflanking vets. Like everyone else.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

So excited for Vets to be costed appropriately in the next red book. :dogcited:

Comparing a 10 man Veteran squad and a 10 man Rampager squad is painful. For 70 more points you lose a Bolter and get Feel No Pain 6+, and Vets can all take power weapons for the same points that Rampagers can take questionable (if kickin rad) Caedere Weapons. And Rampagers have one less WS if you decide to do Weaponsmaster instead of the superior Outflank +Sniper option.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

So excited for Vets to be costed appropriately in the next red book. :dogcited:

Comparing a 10 man Veteran squad and a 10 man Rampager squad is painful. For 70 more points you lose a Bolter and get Feel No Pain 6+, and Vets can all take power weapons for the same points that Rampagers can take questionable (if kickin rad) Caedere Weapons. And Rampagers have one less WS if you decide to do Weaponsmaster instead of the superior Outflank +Sniper option.

I often forget that Rampagers are even a unit, because I have never once seen a WE player use them over Veterans, Assault Marines, Tacticals, Inductii, or pretty much anything else they can use.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I'm a battletech grog, the kind that builds era and faction specific mech battalions with correct chassis and markings

I always said if I got back into the setting it'd be for 30k. My warmachine scene died while the warhammer scene is booming so here I am.

There's probably a dozen 30k people within an hour of me but there's way more 40k so even though 40k is kinda poo poo I'm building my collection to be backwards compatible with it so I'm more likely to get games.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Rampagers were bad from day 1, let alone after generic units got their points readjusted.

And now because of inductii they are even more forgotten.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Inductii are savage. Getting charged by them pretty much always seems to result in death, no matter what the unit being charge is comprised of.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My legion only has generic units right now, so I'll be fully prepared to completely ignore any legion-specific units when they eventually get released. :v:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

My legion only has generic units right now, so I'll be fully prepared to completely ignore any legion-specific units when they eventually get released. :v:

Welcome to the Salt Mines, Brother. :salt:

Awuuuuu

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TTerrible posted:

Badcast and Eye of Horus podcast are mandatory

Eye of Horus:
http://eyeofhoruspodcast.blogspot.com/

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Welcome to the Salt Mines, Brother. :salt:

Awuuuuu
I've always played Dark Angels. I've known nothing but salt. :shepface:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

I've always played Dark Angels. I've known nothing but salt. :shepface:

Luckily all you need to win is swords. Until you give away 3 VPs! :shrug:

God, that rule is brutal.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I'm waiting for Heresy Tyranid rules. On a 2+ your opponent gets to hit you in the face with a ball-peen hammer.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

I'm waiting for Heresy Tyranid rules. On a 2+ your opponent gets to hit you in the face with a ball-peen hammer.
But only if they have no MkVII models in their army.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Can't wait for 30k tau rules, space marines v cavemen

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

chutche2 posted:

Can't wait for 30k tau rules, space marines v cavemen

One of the Tau guys in my 40k group keeps talking about making a 30k militia army of Tau, and just not using any ranged weapons or vehicles. I keep trying to push him over the edge to do it. I have thusfar failed, and this saddens me to no end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
First mk3 squad arrived.

Nice, it comes with 12 heads. I was going to cut and GS some mk7 heads to turn them into mk5 for my leftovers, but I can just plop a mk3 head onto a mk5 torso. Makes it look more Iron Hands anyway and mk5 often has bits of other armor. Still need to make mk5 legs but that's fine.