Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Can I gently caress the Krogan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SweetBro posted:

Can I gently caress the Krogan?

I'm betting no. You'll probably have to settle for another turian for your interspecies affections.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
What the gently caress Bioware. 4 games you had to get this right.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm betting no. You'll probably have to settle for another turian for your interspecies affections.

There's also fishcat

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Its a free galaxy. Why can't I gently caress a turtle if I want to?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

But really why are Krogan females going outside the known galaxy? I'm not even talking about the possible Krogan restoration projects in ME3, I mean they're exalted by Krogan males, almost always have positions of great power and get pretty much anything they want. I mean they might want to escape their roles and all that but then why take other Krogan along on the trip?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

:shepface:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm sure Bioware has some number of folks who do that job, but the huge volume of dialogue means that they probably only do tuning passes on cut-scenes and other plot critical stuff.

I'm neither a AAA game developer, nor their marketing team, but if I were, I would flag which bits of the 70 hour game had the most love in terms of animation quality and then use those in my trailers.

E:

evilmiera posted:

But really why are Krogan females going outside the known galaxy? I'm not even talking about the possible Krogan restoration projects in ME3, I mean they're exalted by Krogan males, almost always have positions of great power and get pretty much anything they want. I mean they might want to escape their roles and all that but then why take other Krogan along on the trip?

Someone needs to have *the talk* with evilmiera about how you get subsequent generations for your colony.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

evilmiera posted:

Only fertile females are exalted. The ones who haven't proven themselves capable of birthing live offspring see themselves as expendable.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

I'm neither a AAA game developer, nor their marketing team, but if I were, I would flag which bits of the 70 hour game had the most love in terms of animation quality and then use those in my trailers.

E:

Someone needs to have *the talk* with evilmiera about how you get subsequent generations for your colony.

I meant in terms of avoiding Krogan society and their roles in it. Besides which, I think it might be harder to get new generations of children in an unknown sector of space with even less medical equipment to counter the Genophage than where they came from.

Edit: ^^^^ That I can buy at least.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

That would be ideal, but if there's one thing that's in a sorrier state than video game writing, it's video game marketing.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Admiral Ray posted:

Neat! I dunno if I can really get into the emotional hook of invading and colonizing an already inhabited place, though. Depends how that aspect is handled, if at all.

Also lol @ "none of the golden worlds panned out".

This is the only thing that's keeping me from legitimately anticipating the game. I can deal with janky animations and fanfiction-grade writing and whatnot, but I just can't bring myself to root for a group of people who are basically Space Conquistadores.The whole scenario would feel much less awful if they writers would just admit they're fleeing the Reapers, but the writers seem adamant that there can't be an actual, sympathetic reason for the Andromeda Initiative to exist and it's just 100% hubris and Space Manifest Destiny.

It honestly kind of reminds me of that really awful sci-fi story I read once, where Earth is under attack by aliens and the only way to stop them... was to resurrect a bunch of Nazis. That concept on it's own might have actually worked if the writer allowed the characters in the story to have normal, human reactions to being saved by people who, at a minimum, have a pretty awful reputation, but the writer was determined not to explore any deep themes and made the Nazis unambiguous heroes who were only opposed by evil liberals. It's like, Sci-fi is an loving infinite canvas, you can include basically ANY type of story if you want to, and this is the story you choose to write?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

evilmiera posted:

I meant in terms of avoiding Krogan society and their roles in it. Besides which, I think it might be harder to get new generations of children in an unknown sector of space with even less medical equipment to counter the Genophage than where they came from.

You know what would be even harder than that? Literally not being able to reproduce at all because no women are around.

If you really need a reason I can imagine that being one of the few krogan woman who can carry to term in a new galaxy is a really prominent and powerful position to be in.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
After watching the official release trailer the Mess Defect video seems even more relevant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9r0P6-qziY

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

The whole scenario would feel much less awful if they writers would just admit they're fleeing the Reapers, but the writers seem adamant that there can't be an actual, sympathetic reason for the Andromeda Initiative to exist and it's just 100% hubris and Space Manifest Destiny.

Maybe this is a story about coming of age and trying to be a good person under the wing of your space racist pioneer father.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

doingitwrong posted:

Maybe this is a story about coming of age and trying to be a good person under the wing of your space racist pioneer father.

A coming of age story about video game development that still possess their youthful mid 00's animations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

evilmiera posted:

Some of the conversations you have with Eve in 3 involve the fact that she became a Shaman because the idea of trying to carry to term again only to have her children be stillborn again was too painful to her. And I think there's one with Wrex where some of the females in her tribe used themselves as suicide troops against the reapers to ensure that the fertile ones got out alive. And it was their idea.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Skippy McPants posted:

That would be ideal, but if there's one thing that's in a sorrier state than video game writing, it's video game marketing.

The point of video game marketing is not to hook the enthusiasts who are going to buy the product regardless (yes, yes they will); it's to appeal to the average Joe who normally wouldn't give something like Mass Effect the time of day. They don't need to accurately represent the graphics or plot, they just need to pull together the sexiest, actioniest scenes along with popular music for the time. That's how we got things like this is the new poo poo for Dragon Age.

Before anyone says anything, I'm not implying that that makes the marketers or the target demographics dumber or more wrong than the enthusiasts, simply that they're a much tougher sell for this stuff, and since the enthusiasts are almost entirely already on board, marketing is going to make a reach for the atypical buyer by any means necessary.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

It honestly kind of reminds me of that really awful sci-fi story I read once, where Earth is under attack by aliens and the only way to stop them... was to resurrect a bunch of Nazis. That concept on it's own might have actually worked if the writer allowed the characters in the story to have normal, human reactions to being saved by people who, at a minimum, have a pretty awful reputation, but the writer was determined not to explore any deep themes and made the Nazis unambiguous heroes who were only opposed by evil liberals. It's like, Sci-fi is an loving infinite canvas, you can include basically ANY type of story if you want to, and this is the story you choose to write?

Holy poo poo. Who are you reading, John Ringo?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

This is the only thing that's keeping me from legitimately anticipating the game. I can deal with janky animations and fanfiction-grade writing and whatnot, but I just can't bring myself to root for a group of people who are basically Space Conquistadores.The whole scenario would feel much less awful if they writers would just admit they're fleeing the Reapers, but the writers seem adamant that there can't be an actual, sympathetic reason for the Andromeda Initiative to exist and it's just 100% hubris and Space Manifest Destiny.

i think your being over dramatic. i get more of a 60s star trek/new trek vibe from it. and its loving bioware, they tend to be progressive/left leaning as gently caress. your not going to be king Leopold cutting the hands off of women and kids gleep glops for ore. you are going to uninhabited worlds plus it seems like the nexus arrived their a while before at has begun trading and stuff with the Andromeda residents. the kett are either the dickhead empire faction or they are another outsider group. they aren't the taino. yeah sci fi has awful right wing but again bioware while not subtle, arn't loving heinlen or john ringo.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Edit: ^^^ My argument is that you don't get to have the heroes be on an inherently immoral mission and just handwave that away with 'Well, the guys they are fighting are worse, so it's okay!'. The difference between 60's Star Trek and this is that the Federation had a no-intervention policy, whereas the Andromeda Initiative is explicitly looking to interfere, via loving colonizing their habitable worlds.

doingitwrong posted:

I would be 1000% down for this, or really ANY in-depth exploration of why Colonialism maybe isn't that great, but with the trailer pretty explicitly stating that's its going to be 'Plucky Colonists VS Evil Alien Empire' I don't have a lot of hope.

Edit2: VVV I would also be down with this if they did it Starship Troopers style, because at least then they're acknowledging it.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 10, 2017

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I think colonialism is great and I hope we get to kill 'em all.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

PureRok posted:

That's the spirit

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Andromeda has 1200 speaking characters

"Basically at the point of Mass Effect 2 and 3 put together."

Also check out Jaal:

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 11, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PureRok posted:

Will that include all the Krogan? Can I once more murder every single Krogan I meet and then make sure the Genophage wipes them out?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

Also, posting this from twitter because imgur is down for me, but check out Jaal:

*Cut to Steve Blum doing 100 takes of the same line*

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

The majority of scifi writers are awful people with awful ideas

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

PureRok posted:

Unironically this, but sadly the colonialism fears are really embarrassingly stupid. Either Andromeda is like the Milky Way and there are plenty of planets available for colonization that have no sentient species, or it is hugely and densely settled by vast and technologically sophisticated species who can snuff out the AI with ease if they choose.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Also, posting this from twitter because imgur is down for me, but check out Jaal:

1100 of those characters' lines amount to "hey Pathfinder" when you pass them in the hall.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Edit: ^^^ My argument is that you don't get to have the heroes be on an inherently immoral mission and just handwave that away with 'Well, the guys they are fighting are worse, so it's okay!'. The difference between 60's Star Trek and this is that the Federation had a no-intervention policy, whereas the Andromeda Initiative is explicitly looking to interfere, via loving colonizing their habitable worlds.

I would be 1000% down for this, or really ANY in-depth exploration of why Colonialism maybe isn't that great, but with the trailer pretty explicitly stating that's its going to be 'Plucky Colonists VS Evil Alien Empire' I don't have a lot of hope.

Edit2: VVV I would also be down with this if they did it Starship Troopers style, because at least then they're acknowledging it.

How is colonizing an uninhabited habitable system in Andromeda any different from the Milky Way?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/127687816?t=02h58m58s

Twitch stream of gameplay. Timecode should be linked, but starts at about three hours in if it doesn't work.

Very distracting commentators talking over everything. Very bad player playing badly.

So, par for our course. :v:

e: Or just watch the one linked below I guess. :mad:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 11, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Unironically this, but sadly the colonialism fears are really embarrassingly stupid. Either Andromeda is like the Milky Way and there are plenty of planets available for colonization that have no sentient species, or it is hugely and densely settled by vast and technologically sophisticated species who can snuff out the AI with ease if they choose.

i just find it annoying. like yeah sci fi is full of awful right wing bullshit(thanks heinlen and friends) but mass effect isn't one of them. and various people in this thread acting like its going to be loving columbus and the taino is retarded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_dPTprFWiw from watching the demo today, its clear its more of star trek deal and the Nexus has been there for a while and has made contact with the other sentient(at least the angera shown) already. plus again its loving bioware. they don't make right wing circle jerk poo poo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

You know I'm starting to think that maybe colonizing a handful of worlds in an ENTIRE CLUSTER isn't comparable to real world Colonialism.

You navel gazing ingrate. XOXO

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Anyone else hate that techno monocle poo poo. Most of freddy prince's alt costumes had them.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

BrianWilly posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/127687816?t=02h58m58s

Twitch stream of gameplay. Timecode should be linked, but starts at about three hours in if it doesn't work.

Very distracting commentators talking over everything. Very bad player playing badly.

So, par for our course. :v:

They were good sports at least during the Q&A when someone asked "You're the game designer but you're really bad at playing the game, can you tell us whether there will be a decent level of challenge for people who are actually good at it?"

And when a guy wearing devil horns introduced himself as EA and asked if they had any cool missions they cut out to sell later

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Seemlar posted:

They were good sports at least during the Q&A when someone asked "You're the game designer but you're really bad at playing the game, can you tell us whether there will be a decent level of challenge for people who are actually good at it?"

And when a guy wearing devil horns introduced himself as EA and asked if they had any cool missions they cut out to sell later

im gonna watch the whole thing so you better not be lying!!!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

the Prime Directive isnt about that . its about messing with societies that haven't reached space age tech level. the federation sets up colonies on habital worlds all the time. and i assume the initiative is probaly not doing it in angara or who evers space. plus the galaxy is a big loving place.

Captain Oblivious posted:

You know I'm starting to think that maybe colonizing a handful of worlds in an ENTIRE CLUSTER isn't comparable to real world Colonialism.

You navel gazing ingrate. XOXO

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Oh poo poo I get to play this game in six days. poo poo came up quick!

Wonder what the TTF (time to gently caress) stat is in the game. If I'm not banging some aliens by Thursday evening I'll be very disappointed and demand a refund

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

they got lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a dolls eyyyeeessss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I'm glad 'hideous eye-searing color schemes' are still an option in MP (Phone shot from someone at PAX).