Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

FireMrshlBill posted:

Wow, I guess it is because they are still trying to determine the issue (like others haven't already figured it out for Nintendo). But having to RMA the whole unit is kinda crappy. Makes me disapprove less of people who buy a new set of joycons swap them with the originals and return them as DOA.

Yeah. It's anecdotal but pairing that with "you can't back up any saves and you'll probably lose every game's save progress" is unforgivably poo poo in my UX book and an impressive leap backwards given that it's 2017 and they've had 3.5 consoles over 11 years that could handle doing that just fine. The literal only saving grace is the 8/10 ifixit score means I probably won't ever have to deal with their CS department...I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

jisforjosh posted:

4 feet away from my Switch and the Left Joy-Con has connection issues, unresponsive, and at times completely unpairs

Have you called Nintendo about it?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I noticed in the system options now you can lock the console to 720p when docked. When I first got it the only options were 480p and auto.

That should resolve the framerate issues with Zelda on TV.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

less than three posted:

I noticed in the system options now you can lock the console to 720p when docked. When I first got it the only options were 480p and auto.

It doesn't

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Welp. At least my menus look better when set to 720.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

less than three posted:

Has anybody done this yet? How good is the scaling on 1080p TVs?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

GreatGreen posted:

Has anybody done this yet? How good is the scaling on 1080p TVs?

For my system menus, they look better set at 720p vs 1080p. My guess is the TV is better at upscaling compared to the Switch.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I unlocked the secret menu to upscale my switch to 4K. Shovel Knight looks loving fantastic now and is fully 3D and I'm enjoying the secret 4K dungeon.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Rad Valtar posted:

I bought Zelda from Amazon because of the Prime discount without knowing when ill get an actual Switch. That thing is going to sit and taunt me.

Haha, I did the same loving thing. I hope I get to play it one day.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Jimmy Hats posted:

I unlocked the secret menu to upscale my switch to 4K. Shovel Knight looks loving fantastic now and is fully 3D and I'm enjoying the secret 4K dungeon.

Same, I can't believe there's a secret Bubsy campaign.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Jimmy Hats posted:

Same, the blades of grass talk to me in Zelda now.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I would love to RMA my Switch that has like six dead pixels but I don't wanna lose my Zelda saves :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I would love to RMA my Switch that has like six dead pixels but I don't wanna lose my Zelda saves :(

If the paid online has no save storage its a huge gently caress up

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sea Sponge Run posted:

You should. That's way too many dead pixels. Your penalty is you have to pay Zelda again? Lucky guy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I kind of goofed the install of my screen protector. Ended up putting it down too fast and got a bubble in the middle. fixed that and got it good but then somehow had a dust spec on the other end of the thing. Fixed that but screwed up the adhesive in the corner in the process. I'll try with the hot shower thing later with the second protector. My mom's phone was a lot easier to do than this. In any case, it's on and is protecting my screen from the dock. I had some smudging on the screen. While some people are getting full on scratches somehow, mine looked like some other people's "scratches" that were where they dock seems to grab the bottom of the screen. I think these are just rubber smudges as they buffed right out with a microfiber cloth. The screwed up corner doesn't reach the actual display so no harm no foul, I'll reapply a new one at a later time. I just wanted to get the screen protected.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Would be cool if tides of numenara came out on Switch so I can play it on the go.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I've had zero luck finding ANY case for my Switch.

Pre-ordered one on Amazon, it's delayed until April. TRU, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and Amazon online all have nothing. The stores have nothing as well.

What the hell.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

parallelodad posted:

Have you called Nintendo about it?

Haven't yet. Still trying to eliminate all factors causing it. It's kind of hard to isolate it from all wireless devices when the TV is has WiFi connectivity.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Astro7x posted:

Pre-ordered one on Amazon, it's delayed until April. TRU, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and Amazon online all have nothing. The stores have nothing as well.

What the hell.

Yeah they're pretty much gone everywhere. I've been using a beanie to keep mine safe in my bag during commutes. Thinking of just going ahead and adding myself to the waiting list for that dumb expensive leather one.

Lacermonia
May 15, 2002

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Some places will not accept RMA requests because of dead pixels

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Astro7x posted:

What the hell.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/02/early-impressions-of-my-very-own-nintendo-switch/

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Astro7x posted:

What the hell.

Maybe I just got lucky, but the Fry's I went to had a bunch of these.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah they're pretty much gone everywhere. I've been using a beanie to keep mine safe in my bag during commutes.

I've been doing the same and it works well enough that I'll probably skip getting a case. I like being able to pluck it out of the "case" without having to unzip anything.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Yeah. It's anecdotal but pairing that with "you can't back up any saves and you'll probably lose every game's save progress" is unforgivably poo poo in my UX book and an impressive leap backwards given that it's 2017 and they've had 3.5 consoles over 11 years that could handle doing that just fine. The literal only saving grace is the 8/10 ifixit score means I probably won't ever have to deal with their CS department...I hope.

Would it be so hard for them to do a fw update that mirrors the saves to the micro sd card? even if they do release cloud storage with the paid online, still have that as a bandaid until then

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

SNOT CORN posted:

Some places will not accept RMA requests because of dead pixels

Exactly.

So put the thing in a sock or something soft, then hit it against a hard surface until the display stops working.

That way you can RMA the thing because it doesn't work but there's no obvious exterior damage that indicates you were the one who caused the damage.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nintendo also doesn't do RMAs for a low number of dead pixels, but 6 might be above the threshold.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

GreatGreen posted:

Exactly.

So put the thing in a sock or something soft, then hit it against a hard surface until the display stops working.

That way you can RMA the thing because it doesn't work but there's no obvious exterior damage that indicates you were the one who caused the damage.

Also take a video while you do this please.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Astro7x posted:

These are still in stock, and honestly are the only cast that would support my carries-around-too-much-stuff-like-a-dumb-dumb tendencies anyway:

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Elite-Player-Backpack/dp/B01MS7DVLT

I'm looking forward to it arriving, along with my gooseneck mount, third party fancy-stand, and extra AC adapter so I don't have to reach behind the TV when I want to take the thing to work and beyond.

The hidden costs are real.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I vaguely remember some talk about this but everyone does know you can bring the system out of standby with the pro controller by holding home until it rumbles right?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't even hold it, just a press.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

A backpack is too big for a handheld. We need Switch fannypacks.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

ChocNitty posted:

A backpack is too big for a handheld. We need Switch fannypacks.

Joy con thigh holsters.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

parallelodad posted:

I don't even hold it, just a press.

1/2 a press

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Welp, thanks Switch, got in a fender bender on the way to work.

Lmao

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just look at it with clear intention and focus my chi to my thumbs.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

LethalGeek posted:

1/2 a press

how do you do a half press? well you see, if you go out of the joy con wireless range, hold it down, and then enter the loading zone, then :words:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Also unrelated but re: save games, I wanted to test something out in the BOTW starting area without scrapping my save and it turns out that save games are literally per-console-user. Which is clever from a usability standpoint (no more "you can borrow my pokemon game but don't save") but I will put down cash money on the fact that someone came up with the idea and never sat down and figured out a way to map "X user's save backups" to "Y user but on a different console" in a way that doesn't allow for paid item duping or something.

It doesn't forgive it (full system backups/restores should absolutely have been a thing on launch), but I can absolutely see someone saying "but what if they have to send the console in" at a QA meeting a month before launch and all the engineers just staring at each other with the blood draining from their faces.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
What's the likelihood they're just sick of people using save files to break open their systems? I can't imagine it's a good feeling finding out your past three systems have the ability to play pirated software due to code injected in to a save file. We don't have a browser and I'd be very surprised if we get anything beyond online backups tied to accounts.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Just tested TSA and they don't make you take the Switch out of your bag. Handheld status confirmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bloodplay it again posted:

What's the likelihood they're just sick of people using save files to break open their systems? I can't imagine it's a good feeling finding out your past three systems have the ability to play pirated software due to code injected in to a save file. We don't have a browser and I'd be very surprised if we get anything beyond online backups tied to accounts.

If they want to have online backups tied to accounts that's fine, but that costs money for the servers to store it on and I don't think they'd provide it out of the goodness of their hearts-- and I'll be hosed if I'm going to pay a monthly subscription for the sole purpose of "making sure if I leave my bag on a train I don't have to start every game from scratch". I'm hoping they get their heads out of their butts once they've screwed up enough joyconn RMAs of their most vocal launch-days supporters, but it's always three steps forward and two steps back on this poo poo for Nintendo, it seems like.

• Locked thread