Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MinibarMatchman posted:

looking at the Zelda/Nier/persona 5 reviews earlier I was remembering the old Phil Fish quote about how Japanese games suck, then watched the video again and was surprised that when he describes his ideal Zelda game, it's pretty much what BOTW became https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKUGwlFJAHw

Jesus, what bunch of arseholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Macaluso posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider completion question:

I'm at 84% done on Geothermal I'm missing 3 challenges, one mission, two survival caches. I'm at the point in the story where I need to go back through the Soviet Installation and rescue Jonah. Is there more story after I do that that'll bring me back here to unlock more stuff in the area or am I just somehow completely missing some stuff (I feel like I've swept every inch of Geothermal Valley).

Rescuing Jonah feels very end-gamey

Nah there's a bunch more story after that but I don't remember if it takes you through that area again, I don't think so though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

oh yeah for sure. am i going to have to use magnesis to get this ball in the hole, or stasis on this moving object

[wokely] or both

Sure, some of the shrines are obvious and straightforward, but other ones get pretty clever and fun.

bloodychill posted:

I haven't played long enough to get that feeling with the combat yet. It's really fun to explore but yeah, after I play for a few hours it's really easy to look at something and go "this could have been a lot better if they tweaked [this element of the game] a little." I'm definitely understanding oddium and hurthling's complaints about the game.

At the same time, it's really fun and the puzzles are neat. Nothing that has hit the same level as the puzzle games people recommended to me here back in December but I'm not expecting anything on that level from an open world game.

I think it's a game that is significantly better than the sum of its parts, perhaps entirely because its world design means getting around and exploring are both fun and rewarding. In a lot of open world games, I feel like traveling around to places I can't fast travel to yet is me waiting to play the game, but in Zelda, I think they do a good job of making that travel an important and enjoyable part of the game. It's good stuff.

It has some big flaws, like the combat balance and a lot of technical aspects, plus I think its main dungeons are disappointing. But I'd still call it one of the best open world games ever made and probably my favorite Zelda game just because I've never played a game that made me this excited to just go and explore for the hell of it, knowing I'm going to find something fun on the way (and I'm not going to just chase an icon on my map to find it, either).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ethanol said its the 3rd best zelda, 1st best when not playing it.

It was maybe the first good ethanol post

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

Jesus, what bunch of arseholes

I wonder if Phil Fish is still an rear end in a top hat dipshit fucker. He was last time we saw him but he has since removed his presence from the internet, but I can't help but wonder if he like snipes at his toaster when the toast pops up while he's making breakfast or his mom when she tells him he should shave his sideburns.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also re: BotW's stamina: sprinting drains it too quickly, swimming shouldn't drain it at all unless you do your swim-dash (especially because it isn't even a limiter for the map boundaries, since you can just hop across Cryonis ice pillars as long as you want), climbing is fine. That's my hot take.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm looking forward to rolling my eyes until they fall out of my skull when people say zelda is bad two weeks from now

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

that sounds good yeah. i don't mind stamina as a limiter, especially after you get your second ring

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm looking forward to rolling my eyes until they fall out of my skull when people say zelda is bad two weeks from now

I don't need to wait 2 weeks to say that!

edit: Only people who have actually played it need to wait 2 weeks to say that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm happy to see we haven't seen the expected backlash against goon-loved game Horizon yet, so maybe Zelda will escape it for longer than usual, too.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I was doing some puzzle in zelda where you put an orb into a hole but I was on top of a small plateau near the ocean and had to use stasis to move a rock so I could put the orb in the hole and when I flicked the rock it nicked the orb and shot it out into the ocean.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think Stamina is fine as is and if anything probably could stand to be a bit more limiting as its' pretty rare to run out with 1 or 2 upgrades unless you're trying to brute force climbing instead of being smart. Swimming and sprinting both have other lower-stamina options which encourage you to think about how you're going to approach things rather than just mash the forward button until you can't. If anything I think BotW plays better with base stamina because you're forced to consider how to climb and you can get a feel for the strong level design instead.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I don't need to wait 2 weeks to say that!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am definitely going to pick up zeldo when I eventually get a WiiU for cheap, I hope it drops in price soon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think Stamina is fine as is and if anything probably could stand to be a bit more limiting as its' pretty rare to run out with 1 or 2 upgrades unless you're trying to brute force climbing instead of being smart. Swimming and sprinting both have other lower-stamina options which encourage you to think about how you're going to approach things rather than just mash the forward button until you can't. If anything I think BotW plays better with base stamina because you're forced to consider how to climb and you can get a feel for the strong level design instead.

I think the climbing is fine exactly as it is (though it could do with rain being less punishing). Swimming really doesn't need to cost stamina, especially not as much as it does. Make it cost stamina to swim-dash or to swim against a current, but not normal swimming, and you'd accomplish a similar goal.

I think sprinting drains it too quickly but it also doesn't bother me that much because Link moves at a decent speed without sprinting. I don't feel like I have to sprint to move at satisfying speed, so its stamina cost isn't a huge deal for me.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the number one change i would make to the durability system would be make the Champion weapons unbreakable. the rest could stay exactly the same really if that were the case

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

As a person who will never be able to play Zelda because of money concerns, I'm happy to hear that it's a piece of trash and Nintendo's biggest disappointment yet

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

As a person who will never be able to play Zelda because of money concerns, I'm happy to hear that it's a piece of trash and Nintendo's biggest disappointment yet

I heard it through the grapevine that Nintendo is doomed and is going to go under any day now so you won't have to deal with that much longer!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

the number one change i would make to the durability system would be make the Champion weapons unbreakable. the rest could stay exactly the same really if that were the case

As much as I'd like to agree, I think making the Champion weapons unbreakable would invalidate the game's weapon-scavenging system almost entirely unless the Champion weapons were also much weaker than they are now. Being able to reforge them is a good middle-ground, I think, though I'd rather it be more that you're repairing them because it feels weird to break an ancient heirloom and then make a replica like it's totally fine :v:

I found the durability system started making more sense when I started thinking of weapons like guns in Halo or something. Like, I can only carry two guns at a time in Halo, and if enemies stop dropping ammo for the gun I like to use, I eventually have to ditch it for one of their weapons and keep going. As long as I think of Breath of the Wild's weapons like that it started to get a lot less frustrating.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

looking at the Zelda/Nier/persona 5 reviews earlier I was remembering the old Phil Fish quote about how Japanese games suck, then watched the video again and was surprised that when he describes his ideal Zelda game, it's pretty much what BOTW became https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKUGwlFJAHw

lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

As much as I'd like to agree, I think making the Champion weapons unbreakable would invalidate the game's weapon-scavenging system almost entirely unless the Champion weapons were also much weaker than they are now. Being able to reforge them is a good middle-ground, I think, though I'd rather it be more that you're repairing them because it feels weird to break an ancient heirloom and then make a replica like it's totally fine :v:

I found the durability system started making more sense when I started thinking of weapons like guns in Halo or something. Like, I can only carry two guns at a time in Halo, and if enemies stop dropping ammo for the gun I like to use, I eventually have to ditch it for one of their weapons and keep going. As long as I think of Breath of the Wild's weapons like that it started to get a lot less frustrating.

Yeah, I think the durability system works here because combat is, rather than the focus, something you consider and you have plenty of options for how to approach things or even avoid fighting all together. Getting into a fight feels meaningful if just because it actually means you have to consume resources (or use your non-resource-limited weapons like the bombs). It sucks in something like Dark Souls where it adds nothing to the game but BotW uses it really well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Macaluso posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider completion question:

I'm at 84% done on Geothermal I'm missing 3 challenges, one mission, two survival caches. I'm at the point in the story where I need to go back through the Soviet Installation and rescue Jonah. Is there more story after I do that that'll bring me back here to unlock more stuff in the area or am I just somehow completely missing some stuff (I feel like I've swept every inch of Geothermal Valley).

Rescuing Jonah feels very end-gamey

There's an entire other major area that's going to open up shortly after that sequence. Your final campfire save before the last boss literally has a pop-up message saying THIS IS THE POINT OF NO RETURN and even then you can go back and 100% everything once the game is finished.

E: I had to just google some of the cache locations to 100% the entire game because some of them are tricky to find.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lurdiak posted:

He starts with a special move that's a dashing straight that sends people flying, plus more options when grabbing people.

For a second I thought this was continuing the "kid gets pulled by its arm" discussion and I was like "whoa that sounds pretty hardcore"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I think the durability system works here because combat is, rather than the focus, something you consider and you have plenty of options for how to approach things or even avoid fighting all together. Getting into a fight feels meaningful if just because it actually means you have to consume resources (or use your non-resource-limited weapons like the bombs). It sucks in something like Dark Souls where it adds nothing to the game but BotW uses it really well.

the combat in botw is nowhere near complex enough to support this and the fact that there's weapons everywhere only hurts it more. you equip your favorite weapon type (sword for shield, lance for speed, axe for power) and power through. elemental weapons are the only time this really comes into play

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Harrow posted:

The durability system just needs tweaking. Unbreakable weapons that are middling in power and require some neat quest to get would be a nice addition. The throwing spear being ironically a great non-thrown weapon is really :what:

And yeah, their ubiquity kind it makes it feels like "eh what's the point though"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

the combat in botw is nowhere near complex enough to support this and the fact that there's weapons everywhere only hurts it more. you equip your favorite weapon type (sword for shield, lance for speed, axe for power) and power through. elemental weapons are the only time this really comes into play

It's slightly complicated by the game's occasional "gear check" moments. Strong weapons are a rare commodity for a while, and fighting a third-tier moblin with like 300 HP using a weak sword is a slog, but doing so with a 40-attack Guardian Sword++ is no problem. For a while, the resource management comes in when you have to decide if an enemy is worth the durability of your strong weapons, and running into a strong enemy with no strong weapons leaves you scrambling (or just taking forever to kill it).

That said, I've also said in this thread and the main BotW one that I think attack/defense have way too big of a range and it makes damage/health disparities way too spiky both for players and enemies, so I'm also not a huge fan of the "gear check" enemies you can sometimes run into. And eventually you can farm Major Tests of Strength and come out with two more weapons than you broke so even the resource management part falls apart eventually.

bloodychill posted:

The durability system just needs tweaking. Unbreakable weapons that are middling in power and require some neat quest to get would be a nice addition. The throwing spear being ironically a great non-thrown weapon is really :what:

And yeah, their ubiquity kind it makes it feels like "eh what's the point though"

One of those does exist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oddium posted:

Yes, weapons are everywhere, but not every weapon is created equal and even if the game isn't actually hard to enough to punish you severely for it there's a genuine push to use minimal resources wherever possible while still encouraging you to actually break weapons for the benefits. It's not a ~super hardcore game~ but its also a game aimed at fairly casual players and does a good job of making meaningful resource usage for a crowd who normally doesn't go in for that.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I think the main Zelda backlash will be "why did so many people perfect score this, it is not a perfect game, and that messed with expectations." The technical problems alone bring it down.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah thinking about it i cared a lot more about weapons at the beginning of the game. i can't pinpoint when i had 14 30+ weapons all the time but that was probably when i started to see the durability system as useless more than anything

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

I think the main Zelda backlash will be "why did so many people perfect score this, it is not a perfect game, and that messed with expectations." The technical problems alone bring it down.

Anyone who is stupid enough to think a perfect score means a perfect game probably has trouble figuring out that they should stop trying to breathe underwater.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bloodychill posted:

It's more or less impossible for people who grew up playing Zelda to be rational about Zelda, so reviewer scores are especially meaningless here.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

exquisite tea posted:

There's an entire other major area that's going to open up shortly after that sequence. Your final campfire save before the last boss literally has a pop-up message saying THIS IS THE POINT OF NO RETURN and even then you can go back and 100% everything once the game is finished.

E: I had to just google some of the cache locations to 100% the entire game because some of them are tricky to find.

Oh okay cool

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Anyone who is stupid enough to think a perfect score means a perfect game probably has trouble figuring out that they should stop trying to breathe underwater.

B-but reviews should be perfectly objective, I don't want any of this subjective poo poo in my game reviews!

(objectivity is impossible in any sort of art and entertainment and any attempt to review those things with total objectivity is likely to miss the entire point of art or entertainment right from the start)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The White Dragon posted:

For a second I thought this was continuing the "kid gets pulled by its arm" discussion and I was like "whoa that sounds pretty hardcore"

Unreleased footage of news dad at a local high school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khEzmN_Ok90

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am sitting next to a girl at pax who fantasizes about the cold war and in the same breath complained about her pokemon game not patching fast enough

And I just heard someone talking about giant bomb on my other side and it's pat baer, the guy heading the panel I'm going to next

Weird

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

B-but reviews should be perfectly objective, I don't want any of this subjective poo poo in my game reviews!

(objectivity is impossible in any sort of art and entertainment and any attempt to review those things with total objectivity is likely to miss the entire point of art or entertainment right from the start)

Even beyond objectivity, 'the top score in a critical review' has not and should never mean 'literally without flaw.' Nobody looks at a 4/5/whatever star movie review and goes "oh gosh, that means this movie is perfect and has no flaws?!" or sees the top score for a gadget review and assumes that it cures cancer or whatever. The fact that a top score is treated as The Literal Perfect Game is as much a problem with review scoring as the fact that 7 is treated as a failure. If you have a review score you literally never use then your review system is pretty stupid.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a perfect game

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Okay that's not exactly true because the main quest writing sucks but everything else (including side quest writing) is really really good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I am sitting next to a girl at pax who fantasizes about the cold war and in the same breath complained about her pokemon game not patching fast enough

And I just heard someone talking about giant bomb on my other side and it's pat baer, the guy heading the panel I'm going to next

Weird

show them your sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

an actual dog posted:

Okay that's not exactly true because the main quest writing sucks but everything else (including side quest writing) is really really good.

There are a ton of really good dialogue options in the game. I like the guy you can talk to and just keep picking 'Why?' after everything he says

• Locked thread