Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pontius Pilate posted:

Doomsday isn't annoying to play against. It usually only takes a couple turns after they resolve it for them to lose.

waiting 5 minutes for the opponent to resolve doomsday is very frustrating

Madmarker posted:

I have yet to see someone other than LSV pilot a doomsday deck to victory after casting the namesake card.

steve mendi-i cant spell his last name okay, he did it in vsl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
One of the last times I played mtgo someone with 30 seconds more on their clock than I did on turn 3 of the game 2 typed in the chat "play faster, you're playing too god drat slow" and after I beat them (with 45 seconds more on my clock) they sent me a parting "go gently caress yourself" - heh

I think every LGS has to have the poor sportsmanship player. At the LGS I go to he always concedes really early in matches and then proceeds to loudly gripe up a storm about if his opponent didn't have x y z and he wasn't drawing all his lands / not enough lands he would've won. He also lost round 2 (of a four round event) and then dropped from the tournament and quit magic on the spot, sold all his decks on Facebook. He came back a couple weeks ago and started playing again. He is a really nice guy outside of tournament games but he is hyper competitive it seems, he cannot take a loss with any amount of grace

I miss playing at Card Kingdom.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There really ought to be a VARIANCE IS A PART OF MAGIC sign next to the CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELVES and occasional HYGIENE signs I see at various LGSs.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Don't forget the DON'T DISCUSS POLITICS OR RELIGION sign, that one went up at my lgs recently

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

80s James Hetfield posted:

It's great when someone doesn't know what you're playing and they're on the GR Pummeler deck or something super aggro-like and they get so confident on T3 or T4 when they can kill you but you drop a fog after they waste like 4-5 cards on pumping the creature.

One guy at my LGS gets all huffy and puffy and is like "I basically won, if you didn't have that card you'd be dead" and then you throw back at him how if he didn't have the cards he had then you wouldn't have died and they go through all kind of mental gymnastics how you're lucky to be alive and their style of play was slighted because you prevented them from doing X by doing Y

There's a guy at my store that screams and yells and says "THIS IS BULLSHIT I'm sick of your topdecking" and calls his opponent a lucksack every time he loses.

I used to ignore it but I got sick of his poo poo at some point so I tell him to stop being a loving twit and that drawing good cards is the point of the game every time he does it now. 99% of the time the vast majority of store players are too meek to do anything about toxic players so standing up to it will usually embolden others to call the toxic types out on it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

sit on my Facebook posted:

Don't forget the DON'T DISCUSS POLITICS OR RELIGION sign, that one went up at my lgs recently

Can I tattoo this onto the face of some LGS owners? Stopped going to Artifex in San Diego because I got tired of whatever right wing conspiracy the owner was repeating.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

steve mendi-i cant spell his last name okay, he did it in vsl

while true he can only do it on vsl because it is untimed and he can spend 50 minutes on a match

there's a reason he isn't a pro, and it takes all of watching him resolve a single brainstorm to realize why

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

UberJew posted:

while true he can only do it on vsl because it is untimed and he can spend 50 minutes on a match

there's a reason he isn't a pro, and it takes all of watching him resolve a single brainstorm to realize why

Well the fact that he only plays vintage is part of it.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

UberJew posted:

Quoting because this is one of the funniest posts in the thread.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

There's a guy at my store that screams and yells and says "THIS IS BULLSHIT I'm sick of your topdecking" and calls his opponent a lucksack every time he loses.

I used to ignore it but I got sick of his poo poo at some point so I tell him to stop being a loving twit and that drawing good cards is the point of the game every time he does it now. 99% of the time the vast majority of store players are too meek to do anything about toxic players so standing up to it will usually embolden others to call the toxic types out on it.

My favorite is when people very obviously gently caress up but still blame luck. Had some dude who told me my deck was bullshit (specifically the snow mechanic???) after drawing three lands in a row. Meanwhile I was at 2 and he had a mutavault out that he had completely forgotten about.

It's important to realize that some people just need to vent and will go back to being friendly 5 minutes later. For the people who are jerks constantly, it's also important to master the art of subtle trolling. If they get mad about your topdeck, say you agree, it was super lucky because you only play one copy of that card. Or bring up some mistake you made and say you're just lucky you didn't get punished for it.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 11, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

little munchkin posted:

If they get mad about your topdeck, say you agree, it was super lucky because you only play one copy of that card. Or bring up some mistake you made and say you're just lucky you didn't get punished for it.

I had a burn player whine that I opened with Leyline of Sanctity 2 games in a row. They said it was like 13% odds to have it if I have 4 then asked how many I play. I said one. Then I discarded my 2nd copy to Thirst for Knowledge.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

suicidesteve posted:

I had a burn player whine that I opened with Leyline of Sanctity 2 games in a row. They said it was like 13% odds to have it if I have 4 then asked how many I play. I said one. Then I discarded my 2nd copy to Thirst for Knowledge.

Owns

Also :lol: at a burn player whining about topdecks

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

This is the best.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I'm now imagining a police officer rolling into a game store to conduct interviews and gather evidence for a police report on fraudulent Mishra's Baubles circulating in the community and witnessing one of these beyond pathetic tirades and just turning right back out the door.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

suicidesteve posted:

Well that's a silly thing for them to say. The probability is 15.96%, obviously

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Modern Mono-B Devotion?

4 Fatal Push
2 - 4 Disfigure/Go for the Throat
4 Inquisition
2 - 4 Thoughtseize
2 - 4 Night's Whisper/Read the Bones

4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Bloodghast
4 Gifted Aetherborn
3 - 4 Gray Merchant :v:

4 Lili (Old)
2 Lili (New)

X Swamps
4 Nykthos

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Modern Mono-B Devotion?

4 Fatal Push
4 Inquisition
2 - 4 Thoughtseize

4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Bloodghast
4 Gifted Aetherborn

4 Lili (Old)
2 Lili (New)

X Swamps
4 Nykthos

Fatal Push isn't good in Modern without fetches :ssh:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Fatal Push isn't good in Modern without fetches :ssh:

Well, yeah. Fair enough. -8 Swamp, +8 Fetch.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Well that's a silly thing for them to say. The probability is 15.96%, obviously

Isn't it 33.6?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Isn't it 33.6?

I don't think so? I figure there are (56 choose 7)/(60 choose 7) ways to draw an opening hand with zero of your four Leylines, so the probability of drawing at least one Leyline in your opening hand is 1 minus that number. Then square it because you have to do it twice.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone playing GPNJ?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

AlternateNu posted:

Modern Mono-B Devotion?

4 Fatal Push
4 Inquisition
2 - 4 Thoughtseize

4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Bloodghast
4 Gifted Aetherborn

4 Lili (Old)
2 Lili (New)

X Swamps
4 Nykthos

Bob's probably better than Whisper or Read the Bones. You'll want 8 fetches as noted, and 4/2 on lili might be overkill with too many dead cards in your hand if a lili sticks. Maybe drop it to 3/1 like most jund decks run currently.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Well, yeah. Fair enough. -8 Swamp, +8 Fetch.

You want fetches for bloodghast anyway. There are a ton of Legacy and Modern death cloud or pox prison style decks I'd probably start there. Is Gifted Aetherborn really the best option? You also get a lot of free splashes thanks to the lands available.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

Modern Mono-B Devotion?

4 Fatal Push
4 Inquisition
2 - 4 Thoughtseize

4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Bloodghast
4 Gifted Aetherborn

4 Lili (Old)
2 Lili (New)

X Swamps
4 Nykthos

As others have said I'd look up some Modern Pox or 8-Rack lists, it doesn't get played a lot but it's there (actually had a guy playing it at FNM tonight but I didn't get a close look). I also don't know if I like Nykthos without something to sink the mana into, especially if you want to squeeze in fetches. You could really throw people for a loop and play Phyrexian Obliterator as a finisher!

Also if you want to pump up your devotion count and draw cards, you could play my favorite Modern card that doesn't get played anywhere Phyrexian Arena!

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
pack rat

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

AlternateNu posted:

Modern Mono-B Devotion?

4 Fatal Push
4 Inquisition
2 - 4 Thoughtseize

4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Bloodghast
4 Gifted Aetherborn

4 Lili (Old)
2 Lili (New)

X Swamps
4 Nykthos

No phyrexian obliterator?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

uggy posted:

pack rat

Hell yes

edit: Also Phyrexian Arena and Gatekeeper of Malakir are good for black devotion too

TwistedNails fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 11, 2017

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
FNM trip report: U/R Zombies - 3-0 (6-0)

Only change from the lists that have been posted are -1 Wandering Fumarole/+1 Island, -1 Sideboard Lightning Axe/+1 Sideboard Chandra Torch of Defiance.

Match 1: 4 Color Cat Lady

G1 progressed fairly normally, I had some zombies in the graveyard, got a couple fevered visions out, dumped a K-Return early, and was generally doing my thing. Guy dropped a Cat one turn to no removal, then Saheeli the next to combo off along with a Gideon and soldier token on board. Made him play through it. He +'d Gideon after setting up about 20 cats with two blue sources, a plains, and an Aether hub with no energy, then moved to combat against my tapped Advanced Stitching and Stitching Skaab with two islands, two U/R duals, and a Mountain. My hand is two Elder Deep Fiend and a land.

I respond to the start of combat by emerging a EDF sacking the Advanced Stitchwing and tapping the two islands then put the K-Return counter on the stack over the EDF tap trigger. He responds by Disallowing the trigger. I respond to that by emerging the other EDF sacking the Skaab to reactivate the trigger. Blows up everything on his board, taps down his lands and planeswalkers, and it was all downhill for him from there.

G2 he was visibly confused about what to do because nothing good against the rest of the field is good against this Deck. He also ends up getting horrible draws against the counters I sideboard in, and I just Fevered Visions him out. He was actively trying to avoid killing any zombies I played because he didn't want to get back into the graveyard recursion game.

Match 2: GW Brisela

Guy hadn't played in a few years, so this was fairly casual. Fevered visions wins both games, no sideboarding happened because the guy didn't have a board with him.

Match 3: Mardu Vehicles (plus Saheeli combo)

G1 went a long time, I hit a couple Fevered Visions early and was able to stabilize for the most part while he tried to work Gideon along with Scrounger, Ballista, Heart of Kiran, and Harvester. I manage to pull off enough removal to stay alive, then end up drawing ALL FOUR EDF to seal it. At one point, we both hit massive land pockets at the same time, but I was able to Cathartic Reunion through most of it.

G2 I sided out the Visions, one Reunion, and one Tormenting voice for a couple negates, the two release the gremlins, and one extra Fiery Temper. Game starts off with Toolcraft exemplar into Scrapheap Scrounger into Aethersphere Harvester for him. My turn 2 is a Tormenting voice to put a Stitchwing into the graveyard, then turn 3 release the gremlins to kill the Harvester and use the gremlin to save some damage turn 4. Then it gets weird. My opener had an EDF in it, I draw another one, then I get a sanctum. I easily get to five lands and dump some zombies and prized almagams into the yard, and have to deal with him getting Gideon reset and another harvester and more creatures. I end up emerging an off an amalgam for the first EDF, Emerging the second EDF off the first one, firing a graveyard K-Return and popping the Sanctum to get a third EDF and manage to stick a couple advanced stitchwings over the course of these turns. I draw the FOURTH EDF on my next draw step, attack him down to 8 from 16 from the EDF and Stitchwing and pass turn. He goes to combat and I fire off the third EDF using the active EDF to tap his creatures and black sources. He fires off an end of turn Avacyn to try to stabilize the air.

Then I peel a lightning axe, cast it on Avacyn, and he scoops. I get first, he gets second.

I got stupidly lucky with my draws tonight, but good god does this deck play on a totally different axis from everything else out there. I honestly felt like I was playing with two separate hands at multiple points in the night. This deck is pretty much the perfect display for the need for some graveyard hate.

The only changes I'd make would be get the fourth Fumarole and remove a Highland Lake (I don't like there being that many tapped sources for the late game). Can't say too much about the sideboard beyond it seems properly designed. I only put the Chandra in there because I wanted to have a Chandra in the 75 somewhere.

Edit: Mezzanon, looking forward to your PPTQ report. I hope people there are as confused people were at my FNM tonight.

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 11, 2017

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

AlternateNu posted:

Modern Mono-B Devotion?

4 Fatal Push
4 Inquisition
2 - 4 Thoughtseize

4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Bloodghast
4 Gifted Aetherborn

4 Lili (Old)
2 Lili (New)

X Swamps
4 Nykthos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd7JXgixOd8

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is Nykthos really doing much for you in this deck?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Modern Mono-B Devotion?

4 Fatal Push
4 Inquisition
2 - 4 Thoughtseize

4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Bloodghast
4 Gifted Aetherborn

4 Lili (Old)
2 Lili (New)

X Swamps
4 Nykthos

Victim of Night seems like a better Go for the Throat if you're mono black.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

akulanization posted:

Victim of Night seems like a better Go for the Throat if you're mono black.

The thing about Go For the Throat is that:

1) It works on Kalitas.
2) Spellskite cannot redirect it.

Victim of Night has neither of those things going for it.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

The thing about Go For the Throat is that:

1) It works on Kalitas.
2) Spellskite cannot redirect it.

Victim of Night has neither of those things going for it.

Killing Inkmoth Nexus seems better than both those things.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

YeehawMcKickass posted:

FNM trip report: U/R Zombies - 3-0 (6-0)

Only change from the lists that have been posted are -1 Wandering Fumarole/+1 Island, -1 Sideboard Lightning Axe/+1 Sideboard Chandra Torch of Defiance.

Match 1: 4 Color Cat Lady

G1 progressed fairly normally, I had some zombies in the graveyard, got a couple fevered visions out, dumped a K-Return early, and was generally doing my thing. Guy dropped a Cat one turn to no removal, then Saheeli the next to combo off along with a Gideon and soldier token on board. Made him play through it. He +'d Gideon after setting up about 20 cats with two blue sources, a plains, and an Aether hub with no energy, then moved to combat against my tapped Advanced Stitching and Stitching Skaab with two islands, two U/R duals, and a Mountain. My hand is two Elder Deep Fiend and a land.

I respond to the start of combat by emerging a EDF sacking the Advanced Stitchwing and tapping the two islands then put the K-Return counter on the stack over the EDF tap trigger. He responds by Disallowing the trigger. I respond to that by emerging the other EDF sacking the Skaab to reactivate the trigger. Blows up everything on his board, taps down his lands and planeswalkers, and it was all downhill for him from there.

G2 he was visibly confused about what to do because nothing good against the rest of the field is good against this Deck. He also ends up getting horrible draws against the counters I sideboard in, and I just Fevered Visions him out. He was actively trying to avoid killing any zombies I played because he didn't want to get back into the graveyard recursion game.

Match 2: GW Brisela

Guy hadn't played in a few years, so this was fairly casual. Fevered visions wins both games, no sideboarding happened because the guy didn't have a board with him.

Match 3: Mardu Vehicles (plus Saheeli combo)

G1 went a long time, I hit a couple Fevered Visions early and was able to stabilize for the most part while he tried to work Gideon along with Scrounger, Ballista, Heart of Kiran, and Harvester. I manage to pull off enough removal to stay alive, then end up drawing ALL FOUR EDF to seal it. At one point, we both hit massive land pockets at the same time, but I was able to Cathartic Reunion through most of it.

G2 I sided out the Visions, one Reunion, and one Tormenting voice for a couple negates, the two release the gremlins, and one extra Fiery Temper. Game starts off with Toolcraft exemplar into Scrapheap Scrounger into Aethersphere Harvester for him. My turn 2 is a Tormenting voice to put a Stitchwing into the graveyard, then turn 3 release the gremlins to kill the Harvester and use the gremlin to save some damage turn 4. Then it gets weird. My opener had an EDF in it, I draw another one, then I get a sanctum. I easily get to five lands and dump some zombies and prized almagams into the yard, and have to deal with him getting Gideon reset and another harvester and more creatures. I end up emerging an off an amalgam for the first EDF, Emerging the second EDF off the first one, firing a graveyard K-Return and popping the Sanctum to get a third EDF and manage to stick a couple advanced stitchwings over the course of these turns. I draw the FOURTH EDF on my next draw step, attack him down to 8 from 16 from the EDF and Stitchwing and pass turn. He goes to combat and I fire off the third EDF using the active EDF to tap his creatures and black sources. He fires off an end of turn Avacyn to try to stabilize the air.

Then I peel a lightning axe, cast it on Avacyn, and he scoops. I get first, he gets second.

I got stupidly lucky with my draws tonight, but good god does this deck play on a totally different axis from everything else out there. I honestly felt like I was playing with two separate hands at multiple points in the night. This deck is pretty much the perfect display for the need for some graveyard hate.

The only changes I'd make would be get the fourth Fumarole and remove a Highland Lake (I don't like there being that many tapped sources for the late game). Can't say too much about the sideboard beyond it seems properly designed. I only put the Chandra in there because I wanted to have a Chandra in the 75 somewhere.

Edit: Mezzanon, looking forward to your PPTQ report. I hope people there are as confused people were at my FNM tonight.

This deck sounds like so much fun I'm tempted to pit it together since I have all the pieces

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This deck sounds like so much fun I'm tempted to pit it together since I have all the pieces

What deck am I sideboarding key to the city in against?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Marvel decks? There is a guy who plays non-marvel ramps decks and an Ulamog is very tough to deal with no matter what.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Marketing New Brain posted:

Has there ever been a genuinely sweet mill deck that wasn't terrible?

I don't know about "genuinely sweet," but I'm having a lot of fun with the UB mill deck I built that focuses on getting a huge Consuming Aberration and making it unblockable.

It cost me like $7 to build and it makes people really mad. It would be a lot better if I felt like shelling out for fetches to make the mana faster but it gets the job done.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I went 2-0-2 with Energy Fog last night.

Beat G/B and Mardu Vehicles

Drew against Jeskai Shaeeli and Temur Tower (A newer but non deliberate slow player)

Would have beat Tower if it weren't for time, I had 3 Visions in play on T2 of extra turns.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Went 2-1 with Abzan Midrange/Walkers.

I beat complete jank game one, lost to Pharmanhonican or what ever it is called, and beat Temur Tower.

I have way too many dead cards against control game one, so I am permanently swapping with the board -2 Flaying Tendrils +2 Transgress the mind.
An other part of me is thinking of cutting white, so I would lose 1x Sorin 2x Gideon 2x Fumigate 2x Anguished Unmaking and 2x Painful truths, and 1x Kambal out of the side.

Has any one here tried forcing G/B Delirium since Aether Revolt has been released. I'm hoping Walking Ballista eats a ban, so that I know I am not playing the obsolete G/B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

B&R list update announcement is on Monday. Presumably everything was finalized last week.

Any guesses/predictions, or is it all up in the air at this point?

I don't follow Modern, but my mostly-baseless Standard predictions are:
Saheeli Rai
Scrapheap Scrounger
Walking Ballista

Gotta break up copy cat IMO, and taking out Scrounger and Ballista removes some (mostly) colorless weapons that could warp the format after copy cat is gone.

• Locked thread