Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

I know I machinegun better while getting a massage from a muscular shirtless man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's a little known fact the BEF that escaped Dunkirk had to even abandon their shirts and bench press their ways off the beach.

I don't know why but the super patriotic Canadian sex tourists face has made my day.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

"These plastic statues represent various gods of the time. Most gods represent aspects or forces of 21st century life. Coincidentally, this collection features mostly women with amazing tits, reflecting the sex starved nature of life in the early 21st century. This figurine, in the leather jacket, combat pants, and purple corset is Kusanagi, the Goddess of technology. This figurine in the yellow rubberized halter top is Faye Valentine, the trickster goddess. This statuette is of Haruhi Suzumiya, goddess of Megalomania, of which prominent political figures were frequently devoted to."

:bravo:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Ensign Expendable posted:

I know I machinegun better while getting a massage from a muscular shirtless man.

My dad had this poster among his various USN antiques:

p sure it's what made me gay

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1iCZpFMYd0

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le2eB2xtvBQ

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

i think you'll find battleships need bauxite, not zinc

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i thought it said ZING and i was like hell yeah wanna join that navy

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The exact thing I was going to post.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Benagain posted:

How many cities are there like that in the world?

Florida to a degree. There were a couple minor battles up in the Panhandle and that's it. The wars that really shaped Florida were the Seminole Wars, not that most people would know it these days beyond perhaps noting all the Florida towns with "Fort Such-And-Such" names.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pontius Pilate posted:

Is it not homoerotic on purpose? Looking back on the 1940s is so weird now

PittTheElder posted:

I wasn't going to post it but I definitely think of it every time someone mentions zinc (which honestly is rare)

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

They're literally preparing to ram a dong into the rear of a second, larger dong.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

PittTheElder posted:

Every post you make is a Simpsons reference. Let others have some fun.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is it not homoerotic on purpose? Looking back on the 1940s is so weird now

I assume not but hey navy so maybe. And it's actually from WWI.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 11, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Hey Gal, tell us about the subtle meaning of where the shell's pointing.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Pontius Pilate posted:

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 11, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

xthetenth posted:

It's also a booty shot a landsknecht would be proud of.

Context now!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
It's a poster commemorating the liberation of Western Ukraine and Belarus from Polish occupation in 1939. It's not gay to kiss on the lips if you're doing it for communism.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Suddenly I don't feel well

Guys

Oh poo poo, I'm having a relapse

I need canned fruit

i cant stop it im gonna

uber loot for stalin

Fascists are dicks, even to each other

Goddamnit Canada

Oh god, I'm sorry, talk amongst yourselves

...im gonna write a awesome thing about nazi warplanes...just think about that, relax

These guys make socks BTW

Agriprop?

On the Murmansk Convoy:

I once sent this picture to a vegetarian friend of mine and said "the guy on the left is a vegetarian. Coincidence?!?"

This is an ad for Dixie cups:

Once again, a sock company

Trigger discipline????? God

[passes out]

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
CKD import tanks

Queue: Emil and KRV, M3A1, ZIK-20, T-12/T-24, LPP-25, LTP, Valentine in the USSR, ZIS-41 and ZIS-43 halftracks, Medium Tank M2, T2E1 Light Tank, Combat Car M1, T18 HMC, M10 Wolverine, Infantry Tank MkI, Hummel, LT vz. 38, Pz38(t)

Available for request:

:911:
Light Tank M3A3

:britain:
A1E1 Independent

:ussr:
T-37 with ShKAS
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122
76 mm gun mod of the Matilda
Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis
45 mm M-42 gun
SU-76 prototype
T-60 production in difficult years

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40
Strv m/42
Landsverk prototypes 1943-1951
Strv m/21
Strv 81 and Strv 101

:poland:
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40
25 mm Hotchkiss gun

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzI Ausf. C
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzII Ausf. c through C
PzII Ausf. D through E
PzII Ausf. F
PzII trials in the USSR
Pak 97/38
7.5 cm Pak 41
s.FH. 18
E-50 and E-75 NEW

:eurovision:
LT vz 35
Praga AH-IV NEW

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah nothing will get your hair ripped out of your scalp faster than putting your teeth into the job.

quote:

Come on Canada

quote:

The aftermath of the previous poster.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

they want to Come On Canada

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAIL posted:

they want to Come On Canada

Lick them over there

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Sounds about right. :sigh:

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Hey thread, I'm going to be in Seoul for work in a week or so, and I'll be there for 2-3 weeks. Depending on how frisky I feel I might take the train to Busan or something too.

Anything milhist (or otherwise) I should check out? Is the Topics in Korean history Podcast guy still around?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

This documentary series on some of the conflicts in the former Yugoslavia was linked in another thread, and it is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_PzsfXbyAw

It was produced in 1996, so it obviously doesn't cover the Kosovo War but it gives a great window into the earlier events, with lots of interviews with many of the important players before the ICJ could get a hold of them and while the events were still fresh in memory. It touches on a lot of lesser known issues, for example implicating that Croatian President Franjo Tuđman was likely involved in or at least aware of the ethnic cleansing of Bosniaks by Croatian forces. There's another follow up documentary I just started watching which covers some later events, including the Kosovo War. It's also good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIouFeIqBlI

The Death of Yugoslavia begins with a crisis in Kosovo in which an angry mob of Serbs confronted Milosevic, accusing Albanian residents of trying to drive them out of the region. Milosevic later refers to accusations of the desecration of graves and churches as well as more direct forms of violence. There isn't much more information on the actual conflict here however. The wikipedia page on Serbophobia describes anti-Serb pogroms in Kosovo occurring in the 2000s, however that was after the war and all the attendant bad blood. So I'm just wondering if anyone knows what kind sort of conflict was occurring between Serbs and Albanians during the 1980s that made inter-communal relations just so bad?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

aphid_licker posted:

There's this cottage industry of, uh, enthusiasts that are absolutely hellbent on proving that Allied fighters strafed survivors of the Dresden bombings. Last time I saw it pop up was in the comments of some random diving article where someone pondered diving for 50cal casings in the Elbe.

I'm pretty sure that was a scene in Slaughterhouse 5. Did it originate there or did Vonnegut use a bad source? I can see why that would convince people it happened, since he was actually in Dresden.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
"This rocket was designed for upward vertical firing from heavy bomber aircraft to disrupt attacking formations of enemy fighters."

:getin:

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

whoever wrote this was either a good writer being satirical or an idiot with a thesaurus, hard to tell

it's me I'm the opprobrium of hash.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

You piece of poo poo. Yuo loving idiot. You don't couch your lance with your shield arm.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The one thing I remember about The Death Of Yugoslavia documentary was the 2nd or 3rd episode where a reporter dramatically pretends to shoot himself on air with a fake automatic pistol to announce the end of Yugoslava?

Also Trin, where'd you get those hilariously exploitive and incredibly naive newspaper articles with the shameless advertising? It's the one thing sadly missing from your e-books.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Military History Mk III: hash and a good licking

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 11, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

aphid_licker posted:

Military History Mk III: hash and a good licking

Military History Mk III: It's not gay to kiss on the lips if you're doing it for communism.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tias posted:

Military History Mk III: It's not gay to kiss on the lips if you're doing it for communism.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Nebakenezzer posted:

Awesome poo poo
[passes out]

Yeah, the lack of people that read Japanese is a problem, maybe you could concentrate them someplace?

Also, context for the creepy A High Honor For Your Daughter pic.

https://books.google.com/books?id=M...aughter&f=false

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

The one thing I remember about The Death Of Yugoslavia documentary was the 2nd or 3rd episode where a reporter dramatically pretends to shoot himself on air with a fake automatic pistol to announce the end of Yugoslava?

Also Trin, where'd you get those hilariously exploitive and incredibly naive newspaper articles with the shameless advertising? It's the one thing sadly missing from your e-books.

The Daily Telegraph is still reposting its war archives from 100 years ago on the internet. Still full of the finest in vintage propaganda and adverts for 100% British tyres for one's horseless carriage.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

The Daily Telegraph is still reposting its war archives from 100 years ago on the internet. Still full of the finest in vintage propaganda and adverts for 100% British tyres for one's horseless carriage.

I don't think anything will ever top

quote:

HORRIFIC SENSELESS GORY SLAUGHTER
of prices
TENS OF THOUSANDS RENT ASUNDER AND MOANING IN MORTAL AGONY
due to amazing discounts

But please, I would love to be proven wrong. Also please repost that one if you've got it handy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh cool, thanks I will start looking through that right away.

I don't think that article can be topped simply due to the timing and slaughter involved. But I'll be keeping my eyes open!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
"...Aaand generally apologize for having flags in the show." Extra History finishes its series on Catherine the Great.

This series and the series on the Crusades I deeply regretted looking at the comments.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think due to recent events now the comments section in articles about politics and or history should just be avoided now. Get that YouTube browser plug in that just removes the whole thing entirely. Never looked back baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Raenir Salazar posted:

"...Aaand generally apologize for having flags in the show." Extra History finishes its series on Catherine the Great.

This series and the series on the Crusades I deeply regretted looking at the comments.

I made it all the way through "Hello ever-"