Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

No, that's the British version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Garage update: Got visit from door contractor tomorrow morning to assess what's needed (clue: a new loving door) and pricing. Will discuss potential uprated options with him.

Dagen H posted:

No, that's the British version.

http://thechap.co.uk/

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

the spyder posted:

I use Ubiquiti's DVR with these: https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-video/unifi-video-camera-g3/ and https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-video/unifi-video-camera-micro/
Both types of camera work well in low light and provide a good image quality. I have motion based recording setup and I can access the DVR from an app on my phone.

I really like Ubiquiti stuff (I have 2 UAP's at home) and bet their cameras are also good but these are £150 over here and I cant find any sample images or a way of testing the app. Nor have I yet managed to work out if I can just record onto a server running the unifi video software rather than having to use the NVR because their documentation is poo poo.

Can you share some nighttime shots from yours?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was being facetious lol.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I can get a 2 camera wired swann system and an additional wireless camera for about £200-250, that'll probably do me. Going to have a chat with my neighbors so they don't feel I'm taking liberties tomorrow.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4MKDSE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2KUZVNQ9LP7N9

Anyone have experience with battery chargers like this?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Haven't used those exact ones, I've been using multiple Battery Tender Jr's around the garage for all my stuff. They go on sale once and a while but even at regular price they aren't bad. Have never had one fail or have a battery need to be replaced since buying one.

https://smile.amazon.com/Battery-Te...ttery+tender+jr

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I can get a 2 camera wired swann system and an additional wireless camera for about £200-250, that'll probably do me.
I'm tempted by the "Kare" systems on Amazon. Other than a certain amount of "these instructions are definitely from China", reviews seem good.

Going to have a chat with my neighbors so they don't feel I'm taking liberties to ask them not to walk in front of the cameras cos they UGLY
I really like CTEK ones

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I can get a 2 camera wired swann system and an additional wireless camera for about £200-250, that'll probably do me. Going to have a chat with my neighbors so they don't feel I'm taking liberties tomorrow.

Forgive me if you know this already, but be careful where you have them pointing. If it is outside your property boundary, you have to register with the ICO under the Data Protection Act - which costs £35/year

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

FHP is what everyone I know calls em, no real special name for them.

They have one of the more stately (:v:) liveries out there, and they used to have the best interceptors.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
black with old-white-people-skin accent color

nice

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

I'm tempted by the "Kare" systems on Amazon. Other than a certain amount of "these instructions are definitely from China", reviews seem good.

I really like CTEK ones

I have a CTEK, and it's done a fine job so far. I like the interchangeable ends. Handy for attaching a set of ring terminal leads to your bike battery, for example. I mainly got it for the reconditioning and float features.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

Garage update: Got visit from door contractor tomorrow morning to assess what's needed (clue: a new loving door) and pricing. Will discuss potential uprated options with him.

http://thechap.co.uk/

Will you get in trouble if you put a big piece of chicken wire in the middle of the door connected to an electric fence transformer, so if someone cuts through again they get lit up? I figure that would give any return customers a bit of a wakeup call that they should look elsewhere.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

kastein posted:

Will you get in trouble if you put a big piece of chicken wire in the middle of the door connected to an electric fence transformer, so if someone cuts through again they get lit up? I figure that would give any return customers a bit of a wakeup call that they should look elsewhere.

quote:

One in 20 householders admit they have rigged devices to halt a burglar.

However, the homeowners themselves risk jail as it is illegal to set a trap to injure or kill an intruder. Common booby traps include holes in floorboards, loose stairs, hidden trip wires, garden pits and even plant pots or ornaments attached to hidden strings.

According to the Crown Prosecution Service, a householder who "knew of an intended intruder and set a trap to hurt or kill them rather than involve the police would be acting with very excessive and gratuitous force and could be prosecuted."
In extreme cases, some property owners who have been repeatedly burgled have illegally set traps involving nail bombs or shotguns.

The study also found four in ten householders would arm themselves with objects they could hurl at an intruder.
Seven per cent would even use an axe and 14 per cent would use a knife.
Sixty-five per cent of British householders would arm themselves with bats, walking sticks and other household items to use as protection if they were to come face-to-face with an uninvited guest.
early one in three (29 per cent) would use a cricket bat, baseball bat or tennis racquet to protect themselves, while 17 per cent would reach for a walking stick to keep themselves safe.
Forty-one per cent would arm themselves with anything they could throw at an intruder, while eight per cent would approach a burglar bare-handed.

Men are much more likely than women to try to stop an intruder.
More than seven in ten men said they would approach a burglar, compared to 54 per cent of women.

Only us Brits would consider a tennis racquet as an acceptable defensive weapon.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm never eating that much food again holy poo poo

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

poo poo man if you beat someone with a tennis racket that would hurt like crazy.

Especially if they're not suspecting it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

Short answer, yes. Anything I do that might actually give people pause to reconsider their life choices is :cop: territory. We're so far from castle doctrine here, you barely have the right to yell "Git oot ah mah swamp".

Though hopefully this may set some form of precedent: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-39233017

Given that I would actually like to own firearms in this country, I am effectively required (no, I'm not loving joking) to also comment that I Do Not Condone The Action(s) Depicted Here.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Jesus, welding PPE is expensive.
A 5.5"x4.25" piece of auto-darkening glass to slot into my current helmet is more expensive than a new helmet with auto-darkening glass already in it

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

John Surtees, the only person who has won a world championship in both a Formula One car and 500cc bike, has passed away at the age of 83.

Shows how tough they were racing open wheelers in the 60s:

quote:

On 25 September 1965, Surtees had a life-threatening accident at the Mosport Circuit (Ontario, Canada) whilst practising a Lola T70 sports racing car. A front upright casting had broken. A.J. Baime in his book Go Like Hell says Surtees came out of the crash with one side of his body four inches shorter than the other. Doctors set most of the breaks nonsurgically, in part by physically stretching his shattered body until the right-left discrepancy was under an inch – and there it stayed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I'm never eating that much food again holy poo poo

I miss my ramen/curry place, it burned down :(

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

kastein posted:

This gets you in trouble in the us.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nm posted:

The world is indeed a topsy-turvy, messed-up place.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

nm posted:

An electric fence doesn't kill or actually harm anyone, I thought it was only stuff that kills or harms people that gets you in poo poo here.

Glad I asked! :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

An electric fence doesn't kill or actually harm anyone
You're not building it right.

Electric fence in a garage is fine. It stops the bull escaping. You should be glad you didn't manage to break in.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

nm posted:

Trust him, he's a lawyer.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kastein posted:

An electric fence doesn't kill or actually harm anyone

Ummmm......... yeah I'm not so sure about that, especially the harm bit.

nm posted:

I beleive that this is in some ways legal in Aust with the proper warnings in place and built to regulations. Electric fences are also legal in a suburban situation as long as they built to local regulations.

As an aside, a good way to make sure a fence isnt live is use a straw of paspalum or whatever other stalk grass you might have and use that to touch the fence first. It'll tickle but a good deal less than the back of the hand method. Which is of course a HELL of a lot better than just grasping a live fence.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I beleive that this is in some ways legal in Aust with the proper warnings in place and built to regulations. Electric fences are also legal in a suburban situation as long as they built to local regulations.

As an aside, a good way to make sure a fence isnt live is use a straw of paspalum or whatever other stalk grass you might have and use that to touch the fence first. It'll tickle but a good deal less than the back of the hand method. Which is of course a HELL of a lot better than just grasping a live fence.

A fence as a barrier is one thing. A fence as a boobytrap is something else entirely.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

black with old-white-people-skin accent color

nice

Eh, bad picture. Its really a nice dark gold color. Its a pretty color scheme, too bad 90% of state troopers I've met at unbelively assholish.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Took the day off today to work around the house in prep for listing it for sale. Got to bed around midnight last night, woke up at 10:15 this am. I honestly can't remember the last time I slept over 10 god drat hours.

Feels good. :)

nm posted:

Acquaintance of mine got sick and tired of his car getting broken into every few nights so he stayed up one friday night and caught the local crackhead in the act. Immediately called the cops and then he saw him move on to his wife's car a couple minutes later. Said gently caress it, grabbed a croquet mallet and laid into him. Cops came about 10 minutes later, saw the mallet and said it would make everyone's life easier if he just moved it so he wouldn't have to include it in the report.

I am all for cops using their own judgement depending on the circumstances.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!

nm posted:

See, Minnesota was enough winter for me. At least there i could drive on lakes.

Anything under $400,000 is either either tiny, in a place you will get stabbed, or miles out -- admittedly in Sacramento "miles out" isn't actually that far.
CA property taxes are hard to calculate, because the tax rate is based on the price you paid, not the current market value. The increase in value is a fixed at 2% per year, which is basically nothing. Oh and the assessed value passes through inheritance, so you can have multi-million dollar vacation homes paying taxes on an assessed value of $200,000 or less. (There's also many other fun loopholes to avoid re-assessment when sold). Basically, you'd pay the same for that $420,000 today, but 20 years from now, you'd be paying way less. P13 is one of the reasons that there has been so little turnover in come high demand property markets. If you are a middle income person in SF who bought a $300,000 house in 1990 that is now worth $2 million can either: hold it, pay taxes on $400,000 or something; or sell it, buy a smaller house in a worse location for $1,000,000, pay way more taxes. I guess they could also rent it out for $5000 per month while paying $2000/yr in tax.

My older sister has lived in the Bay Area her whole post college life (we grew up in Iowa). She moved out there with two friends from college and they've all stayed there and all ended up buying houses there eventually. First friend had a law degree and bought in 1997 and he got a really awesome 3 story Victorian in a nice neighborhood for 500k. Second was my sister with a STEM degree and in 2001 she got a kinda crappy two story but in a decent neighborhood and with a really nice lot (with a mother in law cottage in the backyard) for 500k. Third was in 2005 and had a sociology type degree and she got a shoe box with a recent double murder within a 1 block radius for 500k. And of course it rapidly lost ~50% of its value with the crash.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I enjoy the confusion I sow when I use "chooch" and "gargler" at work/in everyday conversation.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation

kastein posted:

excuse me, have you heard the word of the one true economical* 4WD hatchback yet? ~45-50mpg is possible, 4wd, 5 speed, seats 5**

* until you have to start buying it new oil pumps and $480 NLA timing covers
** as long as at least 3 are midgets and/or multiple amputees

I love those old Justys. CVT?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation

ilkhan posted:

AWD is for rain, not dirt.

And if the non-AWD version is FWD, I ain't interested.

True. Weather... I prefer this side but not by much. I lived in Reno for a few years and the snow wasn't my cup of tea. But if I could get my county annexed by NV I would be deliriously happy. It even touches the border!

Weather tolerance is still a little bizarre to me. My older sis has lived in CA for 25 years so I understand that she needs to wear a winter jacket and knit cap whenever the temp dips below 64. But my mom lived in Iowa for 50 years and then CA for 8 years and now she lives in Reno and bitches endlessly when it snows more than 3/4 of an inch.

And on the opposite end of the spectrum in Juneau AK as soon as it's 45+ degrees and sunny you'll literally see old guys riding around on Harleys and teens walking around wearing shorts and tank tops.

Everything is relative I guess.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

ilkhan posted:

AWD is for rain, not dirt.

Them's fightin words

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So the friend that died a few weeks ago.. his dad told me today they think he had a heart attack. Autopsy is still pending of course, but heart issues run in their family, and I remember him telling me he had been diagnosed with high blood pressure but didn't want to take meds.

37 years old. :smith:

e: welp, not even an hour later the person who found him got ahold of me.. he was found with a needle in his arm. Damnit.

Enourmo posted:

FHP is what everyone I know calls em, no real special name for them.

They have one of the more stately (:v:) liveries out there, and they used to have the best interceptors.

I dunno, Michigan has a pretty classic look

beep-beep car is go posted:

What do you guys call the State Police?

I grew up in MA, and they've always been "Staties". My wife grew up in Upstate NY, and they've been "Troopers" and when we first started dating, she though it was weird that I called them Staties. Now I'm wondering what other nicknames people have for their state police.

Most people in Texas call them state troopers, but I'll use the term staties occasionally. Which confuses the poo poo out of a lot of Texans. Highway patrol is sometimes used, but they have jurisdiction state-wide, and on parts of the Dallas North Tollway, they're the only officers who have jurisdiction of any kind.

They're also part of DPS, so just saying DPS will get the point across too.

Clear as mud, right?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 11, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You can warn and probably be fine. Might depend on the state.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I just read the OP. Are you talking about me being reprogrammed with a baseball bat? :(

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
loving Logan just lost me my best friend I think

he hates me and will probably never talk to me again

how the gently caress was I supposed to know that Professor Xavier was going to make him upset because it reminded him of his grandfather? he was the one who said he was spoiled on the flim and we both knew nothing

what the gently caress does that have anything to do with me not liking the movie? like he sent me a text about not wanting me to make fun of it when we were on the way out and he was staying behind but loving surprise I turned my phone off in a goddamn loving movie theater

I'm having a panic attack but I already took more of my Xanax than I'm supposed to and I don't want to actually die over this (very much)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Our security fence around the compound at work in the northern suburbs of Adelaide punches out about 12KV.. its not designed to stop someone touching it, its designed to incapacitate someone climbing it. Your average electric cow fence maxes out at about 6kv.

I do know it leaves nice burn marks on the trailers when someone backs one up too far and earths it out, and that it has ZERO problems with earthing out through the rubber tyres into bitumen.

• Locked thread