Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I got Inside at this week's sale and enjoyed it the whole way through. But like Limbo it feels kind of distant and unemotional, even though the overall atmosphere is pretty great. I enjoy team Ico's similar efforts more since I feel more emotionally connected to what is happening. The last few chapters feature some awesome animation, but the ending itself was (intentionally) underwhelming. I would have preferred if it ended in total carnage. I wanted some release dammit!

Tldr; Inside is pretty enjoyable but way overrated and barely worth the discounted price, considering how short it is, and its non-existant replayability.

To those who have seen it, is the secret ending worth unlocking or should I just YouTube it?

Youtube it. The requirements are crazy complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Horizon's platinum is not so bad. I thought getting all blazing sun marks would have been a pain but they were surprisingly easy. Even getting to level 50 was no problem, but I did luck out and hit 50 during the final mission.

The harder ones are made much easier with the knowledge that you can suicide them and still get completion credit.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Neddy Seagoon posted:

screenshot Let's Play of it.

lmao this guy

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Oxxidation posted:

Youtube it. The requirements are crazy complex.

Holy crap you weren't kidding. That would not in any way be worth the trouble.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SSLPs are very good

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

They are but Drakengard 3 is terrible and not even worth reading or watching an LP of.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I platted Horizon and The Witness on the same evening, my gaming career is all downhill from here.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Renoistic posted:

I got Inside at this week's sale and enjoyed it the whole way through. But like Limbo it feels kind of distant and unemotional, even though the overall atmosphere is pretty great. I enjoy team Ico's similar efforts more since I feel more emotionally connected to what is happening. The last few chapters feature some awesome animation, but the ending itself was (intentionally) underwhelming. I would have preferred if it ended in total carnage. I wanted some release dammit!

Tldr; Inside is pretty enjoyable but way overrated and barely worth the discounted price, considering how short it is, and its non-existant replayability.

To those who have seen it, is the secret ending worth unlocking or should I just YouTube it?

Wow that has to be the first time I've heard of someone not liking the ending of Inside.

kirbysuperstar posted:

SSLPs are very good

Too bad LP's are the worst form of entertainment ever.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
In the vein of trophy chat, how do those of you with crippling OCD deal with games you never beat/didn't like/sold off?

I have at least three games that I ended up dumping for the Steam versions for performance reasons (Witcher 3, Mad Max) or because they sucked (Fallout 4), and an errant trophy from Rocket League when I did the tutorial back when I had PS+. I sold off every PS4 game I owned that was available on Steam to make my PS4 library exclusives only. The fact that my account had trophies for other games bothered me so much I made a second PSN account to start over, focusing on getting back the trophies for the PS exclusives I do own (Bloodborne, Last Guardian, Last of Us.

About 6 hours in to HZD realized it was silly and went back to my main account. The thought of platting BB again is also intimidating. Anything to be done besides "don't look at your trophy list"? Seek therapy? Haha.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 11, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I platted Horizon and The Witness on the same evening, my gaming career is all downhill from here.

Plat Bloodborne and maybe you'll get some respect. Pleb.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

veni veni veni posted:

Also Drakengard 3 is a pretty good ride if you already like Drakengard.
After many many hours in Drakengard killing five to ten knights at a time with Cometdance it feels like a dream murdering lots of enemies as Zero.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

In the vein of trophy chat, how do those of you with crippling OCD deal with games you never beat/didn't like/sold off?

I have at least three games that I ended up dumping for the Steam versions for performance reasons (Witcher 3, Mad Max) or because they sucked (Fallout 4), and an errant trophy from Rocket League when I did the tutorial back when I had PS+. I sold off every PS4 game I owned that was available on Steam to make my PS4 library exclusives only. The fact that my account had trophies for other games bothered me so much I made a second PSN account to start over, focusing on getting back the trophies for the PS exclusives I do own (Bloodborne, Last Guardian, Last of Us.

About 6 hours in to HZD realized it was silly and went back to my main account. The thought of platting BB again is also intimidating. Anything to be done besides "don't look at your trophy list"? Seek therapy? Haha.

Wasn't there supposed to be some option to hide trophies from selected games? I think that was mentioned in this thread at some point.
You won't be able to delete them, because the system works as feedback to developers.

Otherwise, yeah, seek therapy, same as other people with crippling disorders.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo. I have never cared about trophies. I thought the whole concept of achievements, when they were introduced on xbox, was silly.

It really sucks that they are a thing that some people care about. Like, I don't feel that way about trophies, but I understand conceptually that type of ocd and that's really sad.

Because trophies are such a dumb pointless thing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

video games are dumb pointless things. if you wanna go and get a trophy because it gives you something else to do in a game you like, more power to you

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I never got the whole thing of plat'n a game and cheevos like who even looks at that but yourself but hey if you have fun doing it I guess more power to you

Just makes a game more of a chore imo

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm not exactly proud of this behavior, to be fair. And it's only in single-player games that I become a cheevo/trophy whore, but my OCD manifests in multi-player games by tracking my stats.

Time to seek therapy :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Wow that has to be the first time I've heard of someone not liking the ending of Inside.

I dunno, it was alright, but yeah I thought even $10 was a stretch for that game.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

trophies are the only reason to play a game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I do not normally platinum games. Usually that is for non-story games like the witness. With that one the platinum is a good sign that I've done all I would want to do with the game and I can move on. With story-based games I usually just go and do the ending. With Horizon zero Dawn by the time I finished the story I was almost at the Platinum anyway so I just went and bashed those dummies.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Platinum fun games that you enjoy and want to see everything in but dont bother if its some 200 hour chore grindfest unless you really like it

peace and god bless

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Trophies are just another goal/mission mechanic. It's little different than grinding for XP or loot, and it's only worth doing if the trophy criteria are reasonable.

If you play something like a Souls game, it can be hard to tell when you've really *beat* a game and challenged yourself as much as possible.

Given that Horizon doesn't have much of an ending, getting plat is a nice way to wind down to the point where you can finally put it asides and move on.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of trophies, I just noticed the other day that you can show the requirements of hidden trophies if you want to, at least on two games I happened to check it for. Was it always that way?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Speaking of trophies, I just noticed the other day that you can show the requirements of hidden trophies if you want to, at least on two games I happened to check it for. Was it always that way?

They added it sometime back on PS4 with a firmware upgrade.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Platinum fun games that you enjoy and want to see everything in but dont bother if its some 200 hour chore grindfest unless you really like it

peace and god bless

Yeah, this is how I go about it. I platinum'd Horizon because they were pretty reasonable and I love doing things in the game. So it was really easy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ufarn posted:

Trophies are just another goal/mission mechanic. It's little different than grinding for XP or loot, and it's only worth doing if the trophy criteria are reasonable.

If you play something like a Souls game, it can be hard to tell when you've really *beat* a game and challenged yourself as much as possible.

would you say I beat dark souls 3 or that it beat me if I told you that I took one look at how obnoxious the spell trophy was, said lol nah and shut the game off

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

would you say I beat dark souls 3 or that it beat me if I told you that I took one look at how obnoxious the spell trophy was, said lol nah and shut the game off
The DS3 ones are kinda stretching it for me; I never even finished one playthrough basically due to the convoluted trigger system for story and NPC stuff.

Some companies clearly hate their audience like Naughty Dog, and there's a good reason I only have like two plats on the PS4 (Bloodborne+Horizon). I'd get the Rocket League one, too, mainly because it's so easy, but I kinda have to grind it out, and I can't really be bothered.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
All my plats are from my wife playing Lego, with the sole exceptions of Horizon, Rayman Origins, and Transistor which I did cuz they were games I was really enjoying and the plats weren't tough to get. I started going for Bloodborne but got miffed about one of the late chalice bosses. The werewolf one that you couldn't parry (or I couldn't anyway) that was after the harder Amygdala.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Kind of a random question. I dumped my save data onto a USB stick and then put a new hard drive into my PS4. When I try to restore the save data from the stick, though, the console can't see the data.

On the stick, I have a folder named PS4, which contains a folder named EXPORT, which contains a folder named BACKUP, which contains a folder named for a timestamp, and then there's an archive.dat file that's the actual data.

After doing some googling, it seems like that's not the right format for the data? But that's how the ps4 exports it. I tried sticking the old hard drive back in the console, and the console complained that the drive needs to be reinitialized, which will of course remove all the save data on it.

So without getting into complicated hard drive recovery stuff that's really not worth it for some video game saves (my yakuza 0 file :smith:), is there a way to successfully restore from the archive.dat?

This console isn't my primary ps4, the saves on this console aren't backed up in the cloud. What's on the usb is what there is.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Guess I'm one of those weirdos who likes to trophy hunt. But I'm not so severe that I have to plat every game I've played.

I went through hell to platinum Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy. DC2 has missable photos and medals. Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 were easier.

Course I've also made it my goal to platinum any Ps2 game I buy on Ps4. Done Wild Arms 3 and working on Okage.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I got a new drive for backing up my ps4. All of the guides say "format the USB external drive before the backup". So this won't work if there's any data on the external drive? I don't have any clean external drives... can I back up onto a drive with other data, and not destroy that other data?

I have a 500GB ps4, so I need to back up about 500gb. I have a 2tb and a 3 or 4tb external drive, both of which have tons of files but also 500GB free.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I've platted other games, Mirror's Edge Catalyst was fun, and Uncharted 2. Resogun and Titanfall 2 were a challenge.

Bloodborne is the only game where I think the plat is kind of special and essential to the experience, both fun and a rewarding challenge to see what's at the end of the gauntlet.

edit; if Shu can do it, so can you! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljVnni3vUd8

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 11, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Resogun was a really satisfying platinum. I thought I was going to plat Infamous but I actually blanched at the thought of doing a second playthrough of that game.

I am glad that there were games with really lovely platinums that involved endless grinding or multiplayer or randomness, those broke me of any desire to platinum a game for the sake of it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I loathed the ending of Inside. It ruined the game for me. Going from atmospheric and creepy to BIG MONSTER ROLLS AROUND OOH SQUISHED A DUDE was just awful to me and pulled me insanely out of the game. I understand why people like it but it's unironically and without hyperbole on my list of bottom 5 game endings.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've played Bloodborne more than any other game and I haven't platted it. Or any other game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snak posted:

I've played Bloodborne more than any other game and I haven't platted it. Or any other game.

I've come very close to platting games but I run into the problem of there being one or two specific goals which I find super tedious and I have absolutely no encouragement to bother with something tedious for a meaningless shiny. Even games I've spent literally hundreds of hours on I've never platted because eeeeh.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ImpAtom posted:

I loathed the ending of Inside. It ruined the game for me. Going from atmospheric and creepy to BIG MONSTER ROLLS AROUND OOH SQUISHED A DUDE was just awful to me and pulled me insanely out of the game. I understand why people like it but it's unironically and without hyperbole on my list of bottom 5 game endings.

I wouldn't quite go this far, but I was definitely dissatisfied with the ending. "That's it?" was how I felt.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Anti-Hero posted:

If a game isn't holding my attention it gets 3 months then if I haven't played it I'll trade it for something else.

I can always pick it up again when it's cheap, but with spare time getting less and less I'm not too bothered.

No point bashing my head against a wall with a game I'm not enjoying purely for a reason to finish it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I kept reading about how the ending to Inside was some huge major mind gently caress and it really isn't at all. You have to pay attention or infer a bit to understand what even was going on in the game but that's it, and several things are left completely unexplained without even enough room to theorize.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bloodborne is my only plat aside from Telltale games which give them to you for just playing. HZD is looking like it will be my second.

precision posted:

and several things are left completely unexplained without even enough room to theorize.

Like what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Snak posted:

Holy poo poo. I have never cared about trophies. I thought the whole concept of achievements, when they were introduced on xbox, was silly.

It really sucks that they are a thing that some people care about. Like, I don't feel that way about trophies, but I understand conceptually that type of ocd and that's really sad.

Because trophies are such a dumb pointless thing.

It's really baffling to me how many people complain about what a slog the premade chalice dungeons are in bloodborne and then say "and as soon as I get this meaningless trophy I can be done with them forever!" Like jesus if you're not going to depth 5 for root dungeons then why on earth are you sitting through hours of content you're not even enjoying

Why would you sit through all that and then stop right when you get to the good part