Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Its where it lands at the end of the delivery stride. Mitchell johnson would always end up out his crease by the time he released the ball.

I might just be getting old but it looks like he has just made contact with his spikes with his front foot *shrug*

Its extremely close obviously

Part of your foot has to be touching the line, or behind it, whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Wandle Cax posted:

Part of your foot has to be touching the line, or behind it, whatever

Overhang is fine. You see it all the time with spinners who usually only plant the ball of their foot.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Overhang is fine. You see it all the time with spinners who usually only plant the ball of their foot.

Yeah I thought that was allowed with spinners but not fast bowlers?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah I thought that was allowed with spinners but not fast bowlers?

https://www.lords.org/mcc/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-24-no-ball

Part 5. No reference as to slow or fast bolwing.

quote:

5. Fair delivery - the feet

For a delivery to be fair in respect of the feet, in the delivery stride,

(a) the bowler’s back foot must land within and not touching the return crease appertaining to his stated mode of delivery.

(b) the bowler’s front foot must land with some part of the foot, whether grounded or raised

(i) on the same side of the imaginary line joining the two middle stumps as the return crease described in (a) above and (ii) behind the popping crease.

If the bowler’s end umpire is not satisfied that all of these three conditions have been met, he shall call and signal No ball.

Benefit of the doubt in this case usually goes to the bowler.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.lords.org/mcc/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-24-no-ball

Part 5. No reference as to slow or fast bolwing.

Benefit of the doubt in this case usually goes to the bowler.

That law is arbitrary as gently caress.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Taylor will bat.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I see Wagner is not expecting his partner to stick around with him. Seems to be trying to get his half century before he gets stranded.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

The Rabbi T. White posted:

That law is arbitrary as gently caress.

I'd actually support the icc at least investigating an alternative.

The front foot law is worse than the old system for the umpires Imo. Obviously guys were taking the piss and dragging themselves halfway up the wicket in the 50s and 60s so I understand why the law was changed

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
:lol: Cook didn't hit it but walked off anyway without reviewing

edit: Peter Fulton levels of not-reviewing

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Smorgasbord posted:

:lol: Cook didn't hit it but walked off anyway without reviewing

edit: Peter Fulton levels of not-reviewing

Looks like he thought he did, judging from his looking straight behind him. But I guess that evens things up...

As for the front-foot rule, surely it should be changed to "Part of your foot actually has to be on the ground behind the line" ... also I want the run out rule changed so that if you've made it to the crease with something over the line, you're safe after that.

e: I may be in the minority on the second one, but I think it is bullshit that someone can get runout for their bat bobbling in the air after they're through.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
At least they're changing the rule so that you're not out if your bat bounces after grounding it!

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

There's a fire alarm in the main stands, for some reason this means everyone in the ground has to evacuate.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Smorgasbord posted:

There's a fire alarm in the main stands, for some reason this means everyone in the ground has to evacuate.

This is loving madness.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

lmao

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
This is farcically funny

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Smorgasbord posted:

ahhaha

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Starc's out of the series with a stress fracture. That's all over then.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

V for Vegas posted:

Starc's out of the series with a stress fracture. That's all over then.

What do you mean? MMarsh's 'injury' led the way for Maxwell, now Starc has to rest, we can put Moises Henriques back in the team.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

rip the Australian tour of India

My brother, the self proclaimed cricket expert, is cheering it, because he thinks Starc is an overrated hack with little talent or consistency. He also thinks S Marsh is an excellent batsman who should be picked in every side for the next few years, so this shows he doesn't know poo poo.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

My brother, the self proclaimed cricket expert, is cheering it, because he thinks Starc is an overrated hack with little talent or consistency. He also thinks S Marsh is an excellent batsman who should be picked in every side for the next few years, so this shows he doesn't know poo poo.

Steve Waugh's account spotted.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

NTRabbit posted:

I think Starc has a real issue with consistency in red ball cricket and that SMarsh has earned his keep so far on this tour.

But that's just loving stupid.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

I'm sorry about your retarded brother.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

NTRabbit posted:

Sorry to hear about your injury Mitch, get well soon.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

He agrees that Mitch Marsh is terrible at least

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Hey now.
Going into this series it was assumed it would be a 4-0 whitewash and Steve Smith would be scoring 200 runs an innings just for the honour of losing by an innings.
Australia won a test match and took it right up to India in the 2nd. gently caress it, this series is still a success.

until the team violently combusts due to media pressure and national expectation again, sometime around the 3rd day of the 4th test

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Its interesting that starc broke down with a fractured foot. I was reading about the no ball rule today with the controversy in nz and this article reckons there has been more foot injuries since switching to the modern no ball rule because bowlers had to change the way they landed.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-05/no-ball-rule-hurting-australias-pace-bowlers/8092284

Obviously this isnt exactly definitive proof it might simply be that bowlers are generating more force in their delivery stride through increase strength

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Varkk posted:

Steve Waugh's account spotted.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Sorry to hear about your injury Mitch, get well soon.

Had a good lol at these posts, thanks

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
When's the last time anyone was called for back foot?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goatface posted:

When's the last time anyone was called for back foot?

I can't remember one being called, but if you're looking for it, you'll see loads during a Test match.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

kingturnip posted:

I can't remember one being called, but if you're looking for it, you'll see loads during a Test match.

Wagner has a few times although not this season.

edit: Afghanistan thrashed Ireland again last night.

edit: gently caress's sake Latham

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 11, 2017

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Latham: totally not just staying in the side due to nepotism.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Latham: totally not just staying in the side due to nepotism.

He is there on merit in tests. Limited overs not so much.

edit: ugh Watling is so bad in deciding reviews

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 11, 2017

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

We thought India were the worst at reviews. Until today.

Goddamn. First we review for a caught behind that was only pad. Then we don't review a plumb LBW. Then we do review an LBW that was edged onto the pad first.

:rage:

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Thel posted:

We thought India were the worst at reviews. Until today.

Goddamn. First we review for a caught behind that was only pad. Then we don't review a plumb LBW. Then we do review an LBW that was edged onto the pad first.

:rage:

Also drop a sitter and a tough but catchable chance. We really had a chance at winning this test but all this poo poo has sunk it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Unless they pick up the pace this still screams draw to me.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

goatface posted:

Unless they pick up the pace this still screams draw to me.

Yeah rained out tomorrow, but the bowlers did more than enough to put SA deep in the poo poo this morning

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable

Ratios and Tendency posted:

We need to pick more South Africans.

It's downright crazy how many times all the players on the field have been born in South Africa, happened with Watling and Wagner batting yesterday. There was even a game against England when all the players and both umpires were South African.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Wagner is so cool and good

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Smorgasbord posted:

Wagner is so cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Agreeing with the commentators re: Santner, what is even the point of him if he's not bowling now let alone an hour ago.