Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The hammer is just incredibly nasty. They tuned it down in the last patch, and it can still easily ruin runs, especially if you get it during boss fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I fuckin did it after 60 hours :dance:

Pretty sure the only reason I won was amazing items. Helix bullets, Stout bullets, Shadow bullets and a Zorgun loving destroyed Dragun.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Finally platinumed the game. I was the Bullet, and got a clone really early, so killed myself after the Dragun and looped so I could easily get the Lead God achievement.

I hosed up really early with the shopkeeper too, and tried to steal two items with the Decoy, meaning I had no shop throughout two runs.

Didn't really matter though!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
So far I appreciate the changes that the developers have made to Challenge Mode and am relatively encouraged by the direction they're going in. The Wall in particular is a much more manageable fight--the addition of snipers complicates things, but they don't turn the experience into a purely pass/fail experience based on luck of the draw.

I believe there are still some tweaks that could be introduced to leave it challenging but fair, and I remain unsold on the Dragun's additional "Stress" modifier that temporarily knocks you down to a half-heart on your first hit, but obviously it's a step in the right direction if I am actually able to (somewhat) consistently GET to the Dragun now without an over-reliance on RNG/slot-machinery. Not to discredit those who managed to beat the mode previously, but I feel like many of those people were just talented players who happened to have a run of good luck (i.e. Getting the Curse Pots and Ghost in the Shell modifiers on something like Kill Pillars is mostly irrelevant, and results in something shockingly easier than the same fight with Gorgun's Gaze and Hammer Time, which is arguably insurmountable unless you're already overpowered going into the fight).

I actually feel like the Dragun is one of the easier bosses in the base game, so I understand why the developers are continuing to mess with that fight in Challenge Mode. Will be interested to see what the next patch or two changes.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
today i discovered that flak bullets and alien engine are a very potent combo. it somehow converts the short range high intensity attack into a long range rain of death

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Snazzy Frocks posted:

today i discovered that flak bullets and alien engine are a very potent combo. it somehow converts the short range high intensity attack into a long range rain of death

In a similar vein, I killed the Lich using nothing but Casey and flak bullets recently. It makes each swing fire out three tiny bullets that each do lots of damage since they're basically projectile representations of massive melee damage. Managed to finish him off with half a heart left and now I feel like I should take a break from the game since I probably won't do anything as ridiculous for a while.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I hadn't played this since before the ammo drop fix was added and yeah builds feel way more different and fun now. I still can't tell if this game is way harder than Isaac or if I'm just complete garbage at it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah I think I'm pretty garbage at this game too, so don't feel bad.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

All gameplay differences aside, I think Isaac is easier to get into because even as an unexperienced player, you'll often get amazing items on the first few floors that can carry a run for you. Whereas Gungeon not only has fewer items that almost guarantee victory, but also a system where the quality of items tends to increase as you go further down, making it rarer to see powerful items right at the start.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
This is probably me being crazy, but has anybody else noticed (particularly towards the end, when most items are unlocked) that you can go a long time without seeing certain weapons and items, and then suddenly you'll see those MIA items pop up multiple times over 5 or 10 runs? For example, I'll go 2 or 3 hours without seeing Gunther, and then I'll encounter it (him?) 3 times over 5 consecutive runs. Then nothing again.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This is probably me being crazy, but has anybody else noticed (particularly towards the end, when most items are unlocked) that you can go a long time without seeing certain weapons and items, and then suddenly you'll see those MIA items pop up multiple times over 5 or 10 runs? For example, I'll go 2 or 3 hours without seeing Gunther, and then I'll encounter it (him?) 3 times over 5 consecutive runs. Then nothing again.

Its probably just luck but I know what you mean. Recently I found the super hot watch three times in rapid succession and after that I got the aged bell, which I never loving find, twice over five runs.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'm pretty sure any item you recently unlocked has a much higher chance of appearing for the first time, but other than that, it's just luck. Some guns definitely feel rarer than others, though. I've only seen the Super Meat Gun once in 130 hours.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I really like this game although it feels like most of the weapons and powerups I get might have an interesting gimmick, but aren't strong enough to feel like an upgrade. Like the closest I've gotten to a "gently caress yeah!" moment is finding the alien engine.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

Achtane posted:

I really like this game although it feels like most of the weapons and powerups I get might have an interesting gimmick, but aren't strong enough to feel like an upgrade. Like the closest I've gotten to a "gently caress yeah!" moment is finding the alien engine.

That is something that has bothered me about the game. Even out of green chests, a lot of the guns are really only so-so in later chapters.

Also, the MineFlayer feels like such a poo poo boss compared to all the others.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
mine flayer is very 4th level tier in boss difficulty (not counting wallmonger)

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

And it only took me 167 hours.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
The rail gun! :eyepop:

The rail gun with backup gun and quickdraw holster! :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

The rail gun with a potion of gun friendship and ring of triggers! :allbuttons:

You literally cannot see the enemy bullets for all the poo poo bouncing everywhere. It cost me two master rounds and I died like a chump on the lich's third phase. :suicide:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

And it only took me 167 hours.

gently caress dude.

There was a long stint where I would play EtG right before going to sleep, so I've got maybe 30-35 hours of idle time on the game, but I'm over 300 hours and STILL haven't 100%'ed the game. The Challenge Mode is literally the last achievement I have left.

I'll get there. One day.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

gently caress dude.

There was a long stint where I would play EtG right before going to sleep, so I've got maybe 30-35 hours of idle time on the game, but I'm over 300 hours and STILL haven't 100%'ed the game. The Challenge Mode is literally the last achievement I have left.

I'll get there. One day.

The last ones I had were the ones for killing enemies with chandeliers and while riding in mine carts, since they're not things I ever do while playing normally and it probably would have also taken me around 300 hours if I was just getting them incidentally rather than focusing on them directly.

Good luck with challenge mode. I beat it before they adjusted things to make it more forgiving, but even now I don't see it being manageable without lucking into a really overpowered run. Took me about thirty or so tries, and it's really obnoxious and demoralizing when you're playing fine and then die on floor 4 because a pot shot hit you while high stress was active or some other complete bullshit reason like that. 30-40 minutes of play wasted on account of some unfortunate series of events which happened in the span of about a second. Beating it was absolutely no fun, I finally got the achievement and haven't touched the mode since then. I don't care to even find out how awful double challenge mode is to play.

Arguably worth bashing your head against it though, since the "YEAH gently caress YOU" moment when you finally kill the Dragun is hard to beat.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Woot after bitching about difficulty I finally beat the Dragun! I'm glad he wasn't too tough, probably easier than lost floor 3 or 4 bosses.

I didn't even have that great of a loadout. I cleared most rooms with Hexagun and Machine Pistol and had Vulcan Cannon and Commando for bosses. No good passives but I used time stop once and double vision twice on bosses.

I'll probably never do any of the secret poo poo :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The secret poo poo is not very fun so don't worry about it.

edit: Well, the Oubliette and Abbey of the True Gun would probably be more fun to go through if they were one floor further down apiece, because they can be tough unless you get good poo poo on your first floor. Bullet Hell is just lovely though.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Yodzilla posted:

Woot after bitching about difficulty I finally beat the Dragun! I'm glad he wasn't too tough, probably easier than lost floor 3 or 4 bosses.

I didn't even have that great of a loadout. I cleared most rooms with Hexagun and Machine Pistol and had Vulcan Cannon and Commando for bosses. No good passives but I used time stop once and double vision twice on bosses.

I'll probably never do any of the secret poo poo :(

To be fair Hexagun, Vulcan Cannon, and Commando are really good weapons. So your loadout sounds pretty good to me :v:

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
oubliette's boss is dumb easy, tho the level itself can either be fine or annoying, plus 2 keys is pretty steep early on. the abbey is almost never worth going to outside of just to get there the first time and maybe a second time to get the lies item from the secret guy, old king is stupid to face.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

In my experience, the Oubliette is almost always worth it because the extra resources you get easily compensate for losing two keys. The Abbey is potentially worthwhile if you've got health to spare or are decent at dodging the Old King. Bullet Hell is more of a bonus round; the place you go to when you have a fun build and don't want the run to end yet.

None of those should concern you if you're still learning the ropes because they're all considerably harder than normal floors.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Samuel Clemens posted:

In my experience, the Oubliette is almost always worth it because the extra resources you get easily compensate for losing two keys. The Abbey is potentially worthwhile if you've got health to spare or are decent at dodging the Old King. Bullet Hell is more of a bonus round; the place you go to when you have a fun build and don't want the run to end yet.

None of those should concern you if you're still learning the ropes because they're all considerably harder than normal floors.

I took your advice and it was certainly worth it. I was overflowing with items! Managed to both unlock and beat the abbey for the first time this run before killing the dragun. Also drat cursed bullets are great if you can curse yourself somehow. The extra damage made my regular shotgun an amazing room clearer even in Forge.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

There were other things, but the important ones are circled. The Supply Drop update can result in some insanely overpowered combos.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The abbey is pretty worthwhile if you are fairly good at the game or least have a good boss killing weapon to handle the old king. Tbh nowadays I think the hardest part is getting the crest to the entrance without breaking it (loving lead maidens).

When you get down brother albern is easy to find and gives you an additional item for only the cost of a blank.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

khwarezm posted:

The abbey is pretty worthwhile if you are fairly good at the game or least have a good boss killing weapon to handle the old king. Tbh nowadays I think the hardest part is getting the crest to the entrance without breaking it (loving lead maidens).

When you get down brother albern is easy to find and gives you an additional item for only the cost of a blank.

i never realized he was abbey exclusive

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i never realized he was abbey exclusive

I don't know if he's Abbey exclusive, but I think he is guaranteed to be in the Abbey.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

I've been trying hard for a week or two to beat the game with the Robot and finally killed the Dragun tonight... then got sucked down into bullet hell for the first time. But I beat it! Black Hole Gun to clear rooms meant getting to the Lich was easy, though, and I managed the fight pretty easily. Nanomachines, son!

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Holy poo poo I killed the lich on my first time reaching his chamber thanks to the help of a glitch chest (which I have never seen/didn't know existed, so I was freaking out).

Megahand/Stinger/Lamp carried the gently caress out of the run. Honorable mention to the Pig which basically won the run for me when I died on Phase 2.

Vaah fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 17, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The pig is a true hero. :911:

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Samuel Clemens posted:

The pig is a true hero. :911:

I didn't even realize what had happened. I was so caught up in the frustration of dying i didn't see him jump in front of the bullet.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wish I had taken a screenshot but I think I had the best run I'll ever have last week.

I got a lucky spawn of a black chest on the first floor, which gave me the 7 leaf clover. Making all future chests black as well.

I managed to get a skellington key and have enough keys leftover to buy a ring of chest friendship so I had black chests spawning on room clears, in addition to the 14 regular chests from the 5 floors + 2 secret, and had a Clone since they drop from black chests. I also had an item bazaar on the first time through.

On the clone playthrough I sold most of the garbage items and ran into a second bazaar.

By the time I got to bullet hell I'd had 30+ black chests, two full bazaars and was completely unstoppable. I didn't even dodge the lich because I had all of the gluon stones and could poo poo out a massive clip of stinger rockets like machinegun fire.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Vaah posted:

I didn't even realize what had happened. I was so caught up in the frustration of dying i didn't see him jump in front of the bullet.

yeah getting the pig and not knowing what it does and then when it happens is a fun thing

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Space Crabs posted:

I wish I had taken a screenshot but I think I had the best run I'll ever have last week.

I got a lucky spawn of a black chest on the first floor, which gave me the 7 leaf clover. Making all future chests black as well.

I managed to get a skellington key and have enough keys leftover to buy a ring of chest friendship so I had black chests spawning on room clears, in addition to the 14 regular chests from the 5 floors + 2 secret, and had a Clone since they drop from black chests. I also had an item bazaar on the first time through.

On the clone playthrough I sold most of the garbage items and ran into a second bazaar.

By the time I got to bullet hell I'd had 30+ black chests, two full bazaars and was completely unstoppable. I didn't even dodge the lich because I had all of the gluon stones and could poo poo out a massive clip of stinger rockets like machinegun fire.

You realise that you'll probably never win the lottery now, right?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Not pictured, about 8 guns I fed to the hell muncher.

Got really lucky with pseudo-link and that strain on floor four.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
4 runs today and not a single caped bulletkin. Pretty sure I only need one... maybe 2 more. Hate you, game.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Finally unlocked and made it to bullet hell. Died to the 3rd phase lich. Pretty drat lucky run though, had two markets where I managed to get mimic tooth necklace, ring of chest friendship and ring of mimic friendship. Also learned that the owl and gold ammolet is a pretty strong room clearer. I also had a shitton of different damage ups, made clearing bullet hell real easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
finally beat dragun in challenge mode after god knows how many tries (i was in the 1H cost runs)