Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man they really phoned it in on the final boss and ending huh :(

I parried Calamity Ganon like 3 times and he died due to the cutscene chunking away his health. Pig form just kinda stood in a field until it fell over and then my reward was a bunch of still images instead of a party or celebration like the other games. What a pathetic end to a otherwise great game.

Yeah I wasn't sure what was going on with that last form there-- when I got dropped in the field with the horse my first thought was "oh christ it's twilight princess all over again". And then he ended up doing exactly jack poo poo, I just literally ran circles around him on a horse. Maybe it's "tuned" for being on foot or something, in case you didn't register a horse, and it was just that easy because having a horse turns it into "Fierce Diety Majora Fight v2.0"?

I feel like it would have been better if they had inverted the phases and had the on-foot "actual fight" be the back half, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

This game is such a breath of fresh air in comparison (heh) that it's almost incomprehensible to think the same company made both of them.

This is what really confuses me about Breath of the Wild. Did Nintendo actually listen? Did Skyward Sword sell incredibly bad?

In everything but art style BotW is the anti-SS. Skyward Sword had tutorials right up until the final boss, everything you picked up, looked at or interacted with got explained. And then explained again by Fi. Master, there's a 98% chance you've heard this twice already, would you like to hear it again? Skyward Sword dropped interconnected areas for a hub town and smaller, themed areas that you travel to by loading screen and were basically mini-dungeons followed by bigger dungeons. Skyward Sword required you to fight the same incredibly annoying gimmick boss 3 times.

I really wanted to like the game. It has some good parts, I was never bothered by the motion controls and the art style is gorgeous (I'm still amazed at the watercolor DOF effect)... but man, it's by far my least favorite Zelda game and there's a 76% chance that Fi ruined that game for me.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Modus Pwnens posted:

Hateno sidequest: Thanks for finishing my house, now get the gently caress out of my yard.

If you're asking, there is a way Do the tarrey town quests from hudson, once you've finished they seem to move there

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Your Computer posted:

This is what really confuses me about Breath of the Wild. Did Nintendo actually listen? Did Skyward Sword sell incredibly bad?

I mean survey says yes to at least one of those. Anecdotal, but: I'm a bit of a Zelda fan since OOT. I've played/owned all of the mainline games since that one, some of them twice for remakes, and Skyward Sword is the only one I don't have laying around somewhere because I gave it away to someone for free as a warning not to buy it.

BotW feels like such an inversion from that that I could almost believe it if someone turned up with a "It wasn't originally supposed to be Zelda" development story.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I enjoyed skyward sword a lot. Even with the over tutorializing, but I don't think I'd ever play it again. Despite how disappointed I was with twilight princess, I played through it completely again and really enjoyed it. It held up, even if hyrule field was barren and the world felt a little... eh.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Does anybody have that one picture of Sidon asking Gerudo Link to marry him?

Edit: Ayy thanks.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 11, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

cheetah7071 posted:

Holy poo poo is this real

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stormgale posted:

Fighting a White Lynel is basically a dark souls boss, complete with big AOE And charge attacks... and that's okay

The number one way to improve this game would be to make the combat more dark soulsy. If attacking and dodging had stamina costs I think the combat would feel much better.

UberJew posted:

problem is the two categories getting run atm are any % and all dungeons neither of which involve actually doing shrines :(

I wish the longer category was "true ending" instead, so they would have to do the memories and get the master sword. I guess that would turn a 4-hour run into an 8-hour one though so maybe it's for the best

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Count Bleck posted:

Edit: Ayy thanks.

Well, here goes a few hours running around talking to literally everybody dressed as a lady to see the different responses

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

I enjoyed skyward sword a lot. Even with the over tutorializing, but I don't think I'd ever play it again.

I'm in the same boat. I liked the dungeons, I loved the aesthetic, but the pacing was way too slow.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hey, want to do some dumb poo poo? Draw your bow with an Explosive Arrow on Death Mountain and blow your rear end up. God drat it I felt like an idiot when I did that.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

s.i.r.e. posted:

Hey, want to do some dumb poo poo? Draw your bow with an Explosive Arrow on Death Mountain and blow your rear end up. God drat it I felt like an idiot when I did that.

Turns out explosives in the middle of an active volcano isn't a good idea

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Computer posted:

In everything but art style BotW is the anti-SS. Skyward Sword had tutorials right up until the final boss, everything you picked up, looked at or interacted with got explained. And then explained again by Fi. Master, there's a 98% chance you've heard this twice already, would you like to hear it again? Skyward Sword dropped interconnected areas for a hub town and smaller, themed areas that you travel to by loading screen and were basically mini-dungeons followed by bigger dungeons. Skyward Sword required you to fight the same incredibly annoying gimmick boss 3 times.

I really wanted to like the game. It has some good parts, I was never bothered by the motion controls and the art style is gorgeous (I'm still amazed at the watercolor DOF effect)... but man, it's by far my least favorite Zelda game and there's a 76% chance that Fi ruined that game for me.

The worst was if you turned off your game you have to go through FI explaining every collectible you picked up and watch it slowly be put on your inventory screen

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
how the gently caress do amiibos work>? i'm touching them to the right joycon like it showed me to and nothing is happening

e: never mind i was just in a bad spot

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Count Bleck posted:

Turns out explosives in the middle of an active volcano isn't a good idea

pff wuss

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm starting the goron area and I'm looking forward to forgetting and equipping something wood and have it spontaneously combust on me.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Someone asked who sold mushrooms. I just remembered a korok does in the lost woods

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

s.i.r.e. posted:

I killed my self TWICE on eventide because I got L and R mixed up on throwing my bombs ._.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Did you find the royal claymore in the skull?

:stare:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

"Oh, they explode, haha makes sense that's cool. Let me just pull my bow out again so I can switch arrow ty-"

Edit: Similarly "why are my bomb arrows not exploding during this heavy rain storm!!! Maybe if I try a few more it'll work!"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MokBa posted:

You guys

This is the best game ever made.

Love,

The OP

And I wish I could get into iiiiit :cry:

Gonna blame the sadbrains for this one

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know where I can find voltfin trout? Down to my last 4 side quests now and this one especially is killin me.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Eventide is great and I wish there were more one-off, huge challenges like it. Fog-bog and labyrinths sorta do a similar thing but aren't nearly demanding, just sort of a "go to point X" and you've solved it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Whoever said the climbing pants make the bandana work were right. After dyeing the bandana green it went from my least favorite to one of my favorites. (Unless they were talking about the set bonus. Still need more materials for that)

I like that tower with the skull cause it's a good sense of world building. The tower erupted under a bokoblin camp and carried that with it all the way up.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kalsco posted:

Eventide is great and I wish there were more one-off, huge challenges like it. Fog-bog and labyrinths sorta do a similar thing but aren't nearly demanding, just sort of a "go to point X" and you've solved it.

Yeah, that was really fun. I really like the "start with nothing" part of games, and running around as invincible king poo poo of everything is a lot less fun to me

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Escobarbarian posted:

Anyone know where I can find voltfin trout? Down to my last 4 side quests now and this one especially is killin me.

There's a small pond with them on the way up to the Lynel before the cliff you jump off of for Ruta

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Outside of the Lizalfos Boomerang Daggers, where the hell else do you find Boomerangs? I found a really lovely basic one in the early game and it wasn't until I got close to the end when I found a giant :fuckoff: Boomerang made of Metal and as large as me. Are they super rare or something? I don't want to use this big one up but how can I not?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I just beat the Water Ganon thing and didn't have arrows so I just threw the ice blocks back at him.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Ciaphas posted:

And I wish I could get into iiiiit :cry:

Gonna blame the sadbrains for this one

It sucks because this is way more adventure/exploring-driven than story driven so if you don't feel something when you start playing, it's gonna be hard to get in. I had way more anxiety issues when I was playing SS so the stealth sections really drove me crazy, but the story kept me playing more or less.

Now I'm super medicated and this game has been positively soothing, especially because if I'm in a situation I don't want to be in, I can just bail. If I'm doing something I don't want to do, I can just do something else.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So is there anywhere that's actually compiled a list of materials and what they're each used for in terms of quests/outfit upgrades/weapon crafting/etc?

It'd be a huge help to know when it's safe to sell a certain type of gem/monster part and when I should still be saving it to upgrade my pants to level 4 or whatever.

Kind of on that note, is there actually any point to the gerudo accessories? They're neat and all, but all the bonuses seem like stuff you can get on the helms of other armor sets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

what the hell do you do to them? I couldn't figure anything out, I was looking for giant boulders to roll down the hill at them lol

From several pages back, but what generally happens in video games when you roll a small snowball down a snow-covered slope? Head up the hill and find the snowballs nearby.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
There are...drones in Hyrule?!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Thanks Obama.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bakanogami posted:

So is there anywhere that's actually compiled a list of materials and what they're each used for in terms of quests/outfit upgrades/weapon crafting/etc?

It'd be a huge help to know when it's safe to sell a certain type of gem/monster part and when I should still be saving it to upgrade my pants to level 4 or whatever.

Kind of on that note, is there actually any point to the gerudo accessories? They're neat and all, but all the bonuses seem like stuff you can get on the helms of other armor sets.

It's safe to sell everything, you can always farm up more of whatever you need without too much effort. The only things I wouldn't sell are the items with something like "you could cook this, but it seems like a waste" in their descriptions, which is basically the game telling you "this is a special thing, hold onto it". And even those aren't THAT hard to get more of.

Even Diamonds are easy to get a bunch of after doing the Zora area, you can just trade glowstones for them at a 10:1 ratio.

As for the armor you mentioned, they're more a style option than a useful piece of equipment IMO. But they're much more helpful for the player if you did the area they're from early on.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Those things are the goofiest things. They bob in the air so shield reflections may or may not work, they only "see" you if you get directly in their cone of light, and they can lose track of you while staring directly at you if you're more than like 30 feet away. They're irritating to kill but nearly useless to have in the first place :psyduck:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Those things are the goofiest things. They bob in the air so shield reflections may or may not work, they only "see" you if you get directly in their cone of light, and they can lose track of you while staring directly at you if you're more than like 30 feet away. They're irritating to kill but nearly useless to have in the first place :psyduck:

Yeah I didn't realize the vision cone limitation at first and was super terrified of scaling the one tower in that ruined castle guarded by a bunch of those things, until I ran into one later and found out how dumb they were. Nowhere near as hard to avoid as the actual land-bound guardians. Especially if you shoot their propellers off, then they're just immobile lumps on the ground.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I was wondering why the snowballs I was rolling kept getting smaller and realized the fire rod on my back was melting them. Neat!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I find myself itching to wrap up the game and go for the final boss, but constantly stalling by doing sidequests and running around looking at stuff. I don't know whether I'm trying to speed it along or if I don't want the game to end. Maybe I just need a break...after I play a little more.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Emalde posted:

There's a small pond with them on the way up to the Lynel before the cliff you jump off of for Ruta

Thanks for this, but checked all the ponds around there and not found anything yet :( did get the Zora Helm though which was neat

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

They're more than made up for by the guardians' ability to chase you for ten miles firing lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No matter how many Koroks I find, I never stop :3:'ing at the little "Yahaha!"

Treebabbies, you're the best.