Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think that line is just a standard case of a white liberal trying to relate to a black person/appear not racist.

I agree with "trying to appear not racist" but I'm not so sure about the white liberal part. I mean, they're killing black people and taking their bodies. I'm pretty sure all the "I would've voted for Obama a third time" isn't a genuinely held opinion or misguided white liberalism, it's BS fed to targets in order to lure them into feeling comfortable (although yes, it's what these evil white people inaccurately think black people want to hear)

I would actually like to see a variation on this movie where the bad guys are actual misguided liberals doing what they think is good for black people but harming them unintentionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I would actually like to see a variation on this movie where the bad guys are actual misguided liberals doing what they think is good for black people but harming them unintentionally.

One could (and many have) interpret this movie as being exactly this already.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

One could (and many have) interpret this movie as being exactly this already.

ehhhhh, it's kind of a stretch. I mean yeah the grandpa has flowery speeches about how this is the final butterfly form for all involved, but it's pretty clearly just evil body snatching. I'm talking about a movie where it's misguided but clearly good intentions

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Actually, the mindset is exactly what I see in the "I'm not racist, but..." crowd.

They swear up and down they're not racist, but don't want to live in the same neighborhood, have them date their daughters, or just focus on physical/talent attributes instead of as another human being.

You don't have to hate to be racist.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I don't think it's a stretch at all honestly, even if the movie focuses more on objectification of the body on the surface.

EDIT: Beaten but-

Egbert Souse posted:

Actually, the mindset is exactly what I see in the "I'm not racist, but..." crowd.

They swear up and down they're not racist, but don't want to live in the same neighborhood, have them date their daughters, or just focus on physical/talent attributes instead of as another human being.

What Egbert Souse says here is 100% fact.

None of the white people in the movie wake up in the morning and think "Dang, I sure do hate black people!" In their minds they think black people are so cool they want to be them, just without the baggage. "Everybody wants to be black, but nobody wants to be black." The dad would vote for Obama a BILLION times, he loves Obama because Obama existing as president means he can fool himself into thinking racism doesn't exist and there's the added benefit that there is literally no chance he would ever meet Obama in person or have to know him in any way other than what's presented in the mainstream media.

The film's setting isn't literally rich white people rapidly gentrifying and exiling minorities from a neighborhood, which is how this concept is often brought up in conversation today, but it's the same mindset. The grandfather loves the black body so much he literally had a young black man murdered and took his body over...but the concept of Chris dating his granddaughter? He wasn't too happy about that. If you want to look at it in terms of gentrification, you know how often a white person will be suspicious of a dark skinned person in their building because they're so afraid of talking to anyone not white they don't realize the person has literally lived in the building for like twenty years and is their neighbor? It happens too often because of the same mindset you see on display in Get Out.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 10, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Egbert Souse posted:

Claiming to be willing to vote for a 3rd term of Obama is the ultimate a black friend.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
One thing I'm shocked no one has brought up yet is the fact that poor Andre is still stuck in the sunken place forced to watch as some dude uses his body to bang a senior citizen, FOREVER

That's some dark poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

JT Smiley posted:

One thing I'm shocked no one has brought up yet is the fact that poor Andre is still stuck in the sunken place forced to watch as some dude uses his body to bang a senior citizen, FOREVER

That's some dark poo poo.

No, the *darker* poo poo is that that couple was obviously there to 1) show off his new Andre suit, and 2) potentially trade up to a newer model if the price was right and the 'features' were better.

Here's another thing to mull over - I know it's been discussed, but it'd be interesting if it'd been implied that the Chinese guy was a former 'transplant' that the buyer simply had kept for a long-ish time.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Here's another thing to mull over - I know it's been discussed, but it'd be interesting if it'd been implied that the Chinese guy was a former 'transplant' that the buyer simply had kept for a long-ish time.
I thought it was possible maybe he was a transplant when white people were obsessed with the model minority and Tiger Mom horseshit.

But I think the intended (and better) reading is that Asians and Asian Americans are often complicit with white supremacy and colonialism.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Echo Chamber posted:

I thought it was possible maybe he was a transplant when white people were obsessed with the model minority and Tiger Mom horseshit.

But I think the intended (and better) reading is that Asians and Asian Americans are often complicit with white supremacy and colonialism.

Somebody please watch this movie a second time and look for scars around this guy's scalp

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
http://nextshark.com/get-out-film-asian-character-racism-llag/

quote:

The cocktail party scene was a brilliant way to demonstrate the racial microaggressions and dehumanization that Black folks experience. Upon meeting the white party guests, protagonist Chris (Daniel Kaluuya) was asked a number of rude, racist questions. These specific questions said a lot about the questioner: an old white man who could no longer do sports asked if Chris could swing a golf club like Tiger Woods; an older white woman with a dying husband asked if the stereotypes were true about the big Black penis. When the Asian character made his grand entrance, he asked:

“Is the African-American experience an advantage or disadvantage?”

To understand why the Asian man asked this, you have to consider Claire Jean Kim’s theory of racial triangulation. Racial triangulation posits that Asians exist on a spectrum where they are 1.) perceived as better than Blacks (but not as good as whites) and 2.) categorized as perpetual foreigners who will never be accepted as “full” Americans. According to racial triangulation, Asians are in racial limbo, trying desperately to achieve whiteness and status as “real Americans” by stepping on the heads of Black folks.

So when the Asian man asked Chris, “Is the African-American experience an advantage or disadvantage?” he wasn’t just making small talk, he was wrestling with the decision of whether or not it would be better to trade bodies with Chris and experience anti-Blackness or stay the same and live life as an Asian man in America and experience xenophobia

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Either way gently caress that guy, yeah that's what we need fellow asian of indiscernible descent, a race war between minorities. That'll make the white racists accept us as Americans.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

wasn't the guy japanese. it's a pretty racist country.

i thought it was obvious either way he was supposed to be a nod to the "model minority".

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No, the *darker* poo poo is that that couple was obviously there to 1) show off his new Andre suit, and 2) potentially trade up to a newer model if the price was right and the 'features' were better.

What I find interesting is when Andre is brought back to consciousness with the phone camera flash, he doesn't try to escape, he warns Chris to get out. The only reason I can think of him doing that is his consciousness would only maintain control for a short period of time before the new consciousness takes over again.

Steve Yun posted:

[/spoiler]

Tucker & Dale vs Evil but with racists.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Franchescanado posted:

What I find interesting is when Andre is brought back to consciousness with the phone camera flash, he doesn't try to escape, he warns Chris to get out. The only reason I can think of him doing that is his consciousness would only maintain control for a short period of time before the new consciousness takes over again.

It kind of seemed like how it worked was that a camera flash wakes up the small part of their brain that's still them, and Missy's spoon puts them back in the dark place. When Andre wakes up, I seem to remember them dragging him away and then he re-emerges in the house later trapped back inside his subconscious with the passenger brain taken over. So I kind of assumed that once someone is "woke" it could be permanent if something isn't done about it.

Seems like a huge issue with the procedure if it can just be switched off and on like that.

e: corrected a name before someone else did

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 10, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Franchescanado posted:

I think most of them is gone. They're just a ghost floating in the sunken place and forced to watch the actions of their replacement. Even when they can briefly take control, they're already mostly gone, on top of being deeply traumatized.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

wasn't the guy japanese. it's a pretty racist country.

i thought it was obvious either way he was supposed to be a nod to the "model minority".

As a nod to Rosemary's Baby, which has the same peculiar, American anxiety:

The point of this character in Rosemary's Baby is to highlight the cosmopolitanism of the ginchy, leisure suit wearing Satanists.

The Castavets are coded Jewish (they lead a secret cabal of power behind their changed names) but the other Satanists are pretty WASPy. Rosemary is Catholic, possibly a hippie, "Guy Woodhouse" is noveau riche (obviously). They both need to be "promoted" in class and racial status. By making the pact, Guy knows exactly what he's after.

However, the stereotype Japanese tourist shutterbug isn't there yet. He's still a curiosity. In 30 years, he'll get his promotion.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
There's this interesting article about the Japanese guy here:

http://reappropriate.co/2017/03/unpacking-get-outs-asian-character/

quote:

The twist here is that the actor who played Tanaka, Yasuhiko Oyama, is also a world-renowned martial artist and founder of the World Oyama Karate Organization. (Get Out was filmed in Fairhope, AL, the same state that houses Oyama’s dojo in Homewood.) Peele is an avowed MMA fan, and Key and Peele has featured multiple MMA-based sketches. If we look more closely, we see Peele nods towards intertwined histories of Afro-Asian collectivity. Recall that during dinner, Rose’s brother Josh asks Chris if he’s an MMA fan. The two briefly discuss the merits of jiu jitsu, a Brazilian form of Japanese judo brought to Brazil in the early 20th century by Japanese teacher Esai Maeda.

Photo of actor Yasuhiko Oyama from his website. (Photo credit: World of Oyama)
Josh reminds Chris that the key to jiu jitsu is not physical strength, but mental acuity: staying three or four moves ahead of your opponent. During the film’s climax, Josh attempts to prevent Chris from escaping by wielding a lacrosse stick (the ultimate white-boy sport, made even more so by its appropriation from Native Americans), but Chris eventually overcomes him through the jiu jitsu spirit Josh had earlier remarked upon: as Deadspin’s Tom Ley noted, “Chris remembers the psychopath brother’s speech about jiu jitsu and being three or four moves ahead. When they are wrestling in the foyer, the brother keeps kicking the door closed when Chris reaches to open it. When Chris reaches for the door the fourth time, he’s ready to stab the brother in the leg with the letter opener as soon as he kicks the door.”

We might see jiu jitsu as the twenty-first century answer to the now-campy karate of decades past. Asian martial arts like kung fu and karate were popularized in the United States after World War II and saw their heyday in the 1970s with film stars like Bruce Lee (recall that Lee’s first U.S. feature, 1973’s Enter the Dragon, co-starred African American martial artist Jim Kelly). The chopsocky aesthetic was especially embraced by blaxploitation film culture, giving us Black Belt Jones, T.N.T. Jackson, Black Samurai (now in development as a television show starring Common), and Carl Douglas’s soul-disco earworm from 1974, “Kung Fu Fighting.” Black power drew on elements of Asian culture and thought, just as American “Orientals” drew on the rhetoric of black power during the formation of the Asian American movement.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

So, the old timey song in the opening scene was used as a dig against the Nazis during WWII.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_Rabbit_Run

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

You realize this is exactly how American right wing media portrays decades of liberal government and Democratic Presidencies and Congresses, including the New Deal, Great Society and every type of welfare and affirmative action program, right? The language has gotten bolder and more explicit with each year where now black mouthpieces are used to express sentiments such as how Democrats are the real slavekeepers keeping black people on their plantations of despair shackled by the chains of the welfare state.

Hell as the language gets bolder and bolder you will more frequently see it expressed how Lincoln harmed black people with the misguided war forcing them out of their previously cozy situation on the plantations, you already see a bit of this here and there.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Here's one folks seemed to miss:

Why did Rose see the flash and not realize her grandfather wasn't in control? Because he didn't rage out. Andre, when triggered, did everything he could to warn Chris. Instead of seeing this as a reaction to the horrors he'd been put through, instead they simply labeled it as rage being a side effect of exposure to the flash. That he wasn't airing legitimate grievances, but that he was simply an angry, animalistic black man. So when Chris' camera flashed Rose's grandfather and he DIDN'T flip out, she simply assumed he was still in control.

Which is commentary on that very stereotype in society. The Angry Black (Wo)Man. That our grievances are not justified or reasonable. That we're just needlessly pointlessly furious. And that what we're saying can be discarded out of hand.

It's just that this time, it got Rose killed.

Also, this film was very much a treatise on liberal implicit racism. The admiration of black bodies and culture while ignoring us, tossing us away, as individuals. As people. Right down to the (color) blind man who says he doesn't care about Chris' skin color, but is still perfectly happy to treat him no differently than the ones who do.

Steve Yun posted:

That movie exists. It's called Get Out

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 11, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Adder Moray posted:

That movie exists. It's called Get Out

Oh come on. They know what they're doing is evil poo poo. They know what they're doing isn't for the benefit of black people. When the mom sends Chris to the sunken place, she knows he's going to hate being stuck there. It's why they have to trick the black people, why they have to use hypnosis, handcuffs and locked doors to remove all the black people's brains.

Several people have made this same claim and c'mon guys you have to have to willingly ignore a large part of the movie to think the white people think they're doing the blacks a favor.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Oh come on. They know what they're doing is evil poo poo. They know what they're doing isn't for the benefit of black people. When the mom sends Chris to the sunken place, she knows he's going to hate being stuck there. It's why they have to trick the black people, why they have to use hypnosis, handcuffs and locked doors to remove all the black people's brains.

Several people have made this same claim and c'mon guys you have to have to willingly ignore a large part of the movie to think the white people think they're doing the blacks a favor.

In the video the grandfather LITERALLY GIVES A SPEECH about how much they're helping the black people they kidnap by combining all that potential in their bodies that they're 'wasting' with white minds. They trick them in a paternalistic manner, because they believe them to be too foolish to realize all the good that they're doing. This is the same poo poo that, for example, Sanders supporters pulled during the primaries. Criticizing blacks as not knowing what was in their best interest because we voted primarily for Clinton.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 11, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Steve Yun posted:

What's happening can easily be seen as the end result of the misguided liberal mindset. Obviously the family in the movie is evil as hell and is aware that what they're doing is illegal, but none of them woke up in the morning and magically had that entire plan in mind. I don't think there's anything wrong with that interpretation.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Adder Moray posted:

In the video the grandfather LITERALLY GIVES A SPEECH about how much they're helping the black people they kidnap by combining all that potential in their bodies that they're 'wasting' with white minds. They trick them in a paternalistic manner, because they believe them to be too foolish to realize all the good that they're doing. This is the same poo poo that, for example, Sanders supporters pulled during the primaries. Criticizing blacks as not knowing what was in their best interest because we voted primarily for Clinton.

this is comparison is very bad.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is comparison is very bad.

It's not. From the reaction, I'm guessing you're guilty of it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

in the sense that the only people that vote in their own interests are rich white people. rural white voters are far more guilty of voting against their interests than any other group. frustration mounts.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

in the sense that the only people that vote in their own interests are rich white people. rural white voters are far more guilty of voting against their interests than any other group. frustration mounts.

You want a political debate with me, happy to take it to PMs, because there is a litany of reasons we, as a community not every single individual one of us, trusted Clinton to look out for us far more than Sanders. But as far as the message of the movie is concerned, these are the facts:

When liberal whites say rural whites vote against their interest it is blamed on religion/racism/etc.

When they told us we were guilty of the same, it was because we just didn't know what was good for us. Not for any tangible reason that would lead us to do it. We just didn't know any better.

It's not limited to this particular event, but that is a very recent example of it.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 11, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Adder Moray posted:

When they refer to black minds as being a waste of potential and frame their activity as doing a favor to the black bodies, I think that still squarely puts them in the category of "not intending to do black people a favor."

If it resembles any horrible opinions held by white people today, rather than white liberals who mean well but do stupid things, it would be much closer to the kinds of white people who want to make blacks subservient and take away their free will and couch it as doing blacks a favor. They intend harm on blacks but use BS language to make it look like they're doing them a favor. Here is the round hole for Get Out's round peg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pWSLRmfbMw
(temporary conservative hero Cliven Bundy arguing that blacks were better off under slavery because they had things to do and stayed out of jail)

edit: VVV I dunno, I'm just erring on the side of caution

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 11, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

do we really need all the spoiler text still.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 11, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, I'm sure Grandpa was still considering being published in JAMA and the Journal of Neurosurgery after doing the old ~switcheroo~.

Groovelord Neato posted:

do we really need all the spoiler text still.

There are still people who've skipped seeing the movie because they don't normally dig on horror, so...~kinda maybe~?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
As an aside from the current line of argument, my roommate pointed out that many movies dealing with race will always have the One Good White Guy in the movie who isn't racist and takes sides with the aggrieved black people in the film, and Get Out doesn't even have that.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

When they refer to black minds as being a waste of potential and frame their activity as doing a favor to the black bodies, I think that still squarely puts them in the category of "not intending to do black people a favor."

If it resembles any horrible opinions held by white people today, rather than white liberals who mean well but do stupid things, it would be much closer to the kinds of white people who want to make blacks subservient and take away their free will and couch it as doing blacks a favor. They intend harm on blacks but use BS language to make it look like they're doing them a favor. Here is the round hole for Get Out's round peg:
(temporary conservative hero Cliven Bundy arguing that blacks were better off under slavery because they had things to do and stayed out of jail)

edit: VVV I dunno, I'm just erring on the side of caution

Dunno what to tell you, Cous'. You're clearly determined not to look at this from the perspective that a bunch of folks see it from, including someone pretty close to the whole experience being discussed here. I can't convince you, so just keep thinking what you want.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

As an aside from the current line of argument, my roommate pointed out that many movies dealing with race will always have the One Good White Guy in the movie who isn't racist and takes sides with the aggrieved black people in the film, and Get Out doesn't even have that.

they do have a fake out one tho.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Adder Moray posted:

Dunno what to tell you, Cous'. You're clearly determined not to look at this from the perspective that a bunch of folks see it from, including someone pretty close to the whole experience being discussed here. I can't convince you, so just keep thinking what you want.

In a white liberal world, Bernie Sanders supporters get mad at you for voting for Clinton because they say it's against your own economic interest, but they still believe in your right to vote for whoever you voted for.

Cliven Bundy and the white people in Get Out don't believe in your right to make your own choices, they take away your freedom and tell you that subservience is what's best for you.

That's the difference, and why there's room for there to be a separate movie about well-meaning white liberals who do harm unintentionally.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 11, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Grandpa was still considering being published in JAMA and the Journal of Neurosurgery after doing the old ~switcheroo~.

There are still people who've skipped seeing the movie because they don't normally dig on horror, so...~kinda maybe~?

Why are they this deep in the thread though?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

If anything, an even more super-racist rationale for the whole body-switching thing is that the white people see 'going black' as almost being their version of a *rest home*, where they're no longer expected to do what they were expected or 'privileged' to do in their first life, because no one would expect ~Walter the gardener~ to be a neurosurgeon.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Steve Yun posted:

In a white liberal world, Bernie Sanders supporters get mad at you for voting for Clinton because they say it's against your own economic interest, but they still believe in your right to vote for whoever you voted for.

Cliven Bundy and the white people in Get Out don't believe in your right to make your own choices, they take away your freedom and tell you that subservience is what's best for you.

That's the difference, and why there's room for there to be a separate movie about well-meaning white liberals who do harm unintentionally.

I think you're missing the point, dude. There's no such thing as well-intentioned, accidental racism. There's just racism. It all comes from the same place - the objectification of human beings. That's what the movie was trying to convey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I want to put white Hillary supporters and white Bernie supporters in a room, ask them which group is more woke, and then back out and lock the door when they start arguing.

• Locked thread