Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

mandatory lesbian posted:

eh it was shity when the prize for Gen 1 slots was a friggin porygon so i'm okay with them upgrading it to something worthwhile

course, the slots weren't available by the third gym so i guess its a wash

The Gen 1 Game Corner is in Celadon, so you could get a Porygon before fighting Erika.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupendousMan
Feb 28, 2016
no one can stop mr domino backhoe dragon

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

EclecticTastes posted:

Bullshit subtypes for Steel and Dragon are why I always endeavor to have at least one move of every type present on my team (I even managed it the past two gens, though both required some creativity to cover some gaps*). Bronzong was always the worst, you never knew if you'd need Fire or Ground until after you'd wasted a turn. I'd honestly say Steel/Psychic is worse than Steel/Dragon, but it might just be that Metagross and Bronzong are just massive pains in the rear end.

These days steel doesn't protect against ghost or dark, so steel/psychic is a lot more manageable. Steel/fairy is the new thing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

The Gen 1 Game Corner is in Celadon, so you could get a Porygon before fighting Erika.

eirika isn't the third gym, in badge order

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

eirika isn't the third gym, in badge order

Right, she's fourth, meaning you can do the Game Corner technically between 3 and 4

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

EclecticTastes posted:

Bullshit subtypes for Steel and Dragon are why I always endeavor to have at least one move of every type present on my team (I even managed it the past two gens, though both required some creativity to cover some gaps*). Bronzong was always the worst, you never knew if you'd need Fire or Ground until after you'd wasted a turn. I'd honestly say Steel/Psychic is worse than Steel/Dragon, but it might just be that Metagross and Bronzong are just massive pains in the rear end.

*In Gen VII, Silvally's diverse TM compatibility fixed me right up, and in Gen VI, my Charizard's Hidden Power type was, conveniently, Ice, the one type I lacked.

Steel/Psychic isn't as ridiculous anymore due to Steel losing Dark and Ghost resistances. Steel/Dragon has a whopping two weaknesses and nine resistances, while Steel/Psychic has four weaknesses and nine resistances. Metagross lost out when it was made physical because physical Psychic is pretty bad. It still has a bullshit mega though. Not the most bullshit, but still bullshit.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

also OFS never showed any stats so i'm assuming something is terrible about it

Huge attack, reasonably fast, and decent enough defenses given steel/dragon resistances.

Except wait a minute. Speed Boost boosts its speed by one stage every turn, so its good speed becomes unassailable with due haste. Ah, those are its level-up moves down there. What's up with those?

Shift Gear, +2 speed and +1 attack. A better Dragon Dance. gently caress. So it doesn't need speed boost to become unreasonably fast unreasonably fast. Iron Head and Dragon Claw are all the STABs it needs.

That's not even counting what it gets from TMs and move tutors, which is about like 8 types worth of coverage, which you barely need. Only two types resist dragon and Iron Head dunks on one of those.

While I'm here I'll just correct the category in the Pokedex...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
holy poo poo that thing is a monster

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, that's a pretty MEGAWEAPON.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There are a bunch of types that lack good physical and/or special moves, or are severely lacking in moves that don't have a miss rate that will gently caress you over when you least expect it

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

holy poo poo that thing is a monster

You could say it's a pocket monster
:smug:
:shepface:

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

:eyepop:

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Why the gently caress does a god drat backhoe have 100 base speed, and speed boost. Your telling me a piece of construction equipment is as fast as zaptos on turn one and gets 50% faster every turn. Did they stick nitros on it or something?

Edit: Thier stupid overpowered fakemon can't even be overpowered in thematic way.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 11, 2017

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Vorpal Cat posted:

Why the gently caress does a god drat backhoe have 100 base speed, and speed boost. Your telling me a piece of construction equipment is as fast as zaptos on turn one and gets 50% faster every turn. Did they stick nitros on it or something?
Hey, it works for tractors :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
That is on top of one of the best defensive typings in the game. Goddamn.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

While I'm here I'll just correct the category in the Pokedex...

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Tracton isn't even the most broken fakemon.

did I say Teacton? I meant MEGAWEAPON.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Reminds me of my favorite childhood book.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It is, however, pretty much the only physical attacker ever to not have access to earthquake, rock slide, or stone edge. I'm guessing that's what they thought was balanced about it. It's moveset is pretty much guaranteed to be:
Dragon Claw
Iron Head
Shift Gear / Swords Dance
X-Scissor / Shadow Claw / Aerial Ace

It has no other coverage to speak of except for the usual random assortment of special attacks.

e: forgot about move tutors lol gently caress this thing.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 11, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
There's only one way to make Tracton more powerful

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 11, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:vince:

Steel/Dragon, with Speed Boost ability, Iron Head, Dragon Claw, and Shift Gear?

:vince:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

What the hell are those abilities? Speed Boost is strictly better than Motor Drive, why does it get one or the other on a coin flip? The only purpose that has is to poo poo on people who got unlucky and weren't digging around for information on the game.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

What the hell are those abilities? Speed Boost is strictly better than Motor Drive, why does it get one or the other on a coin flip? The only purpose that has is to poo poo on people who got unlucky and weren't digging around for information on the game.

Motor Drive also gives immunity to electric so it's not strictly worse, just mostly worse.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

LAY-ZX posted:

It's not like the actual games don't do that. Bewear: Coin flip between a clumsy bear who can't use items vs a fluffy bear that resists every contact move in the game in exchange for a weakness to fire.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

Motor Drive also gives immunity to electric so it's not strictly worse, just mostly worse.

I didn't know Motor Drive came with immunity, I guess that makes it...marginally better?

Dr Subterfuge posted:

It's not like the actual games don't do that. Bewear: Coin flip between a clumsy bear who can't use items vs a fluffy bear that resists every contact move in the game in exchange for a weakness to fire.

But those aren't two abilities that do the same thing, except one of them more consistently.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

LAY-ZX posted:

But those aren't two abilities that do the same thing, except one of them more consistently.

Well okay not strictly strictly, but not having items effect you has the narrowest of narrow use cases and the other one is amazing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
With Shift Gear around, it's reasonable to take Motor Drive to give Tracton a real easy entry point off of its extra immunity.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

With Shift Gear around, it's reasonable to take Motor Drive to give Tracton a real easy entry point off of its extra immunity.

Yeah, I don't think I'd use shift gear on a speed boost one, opting instead for Swords Dance to get my better than Dragon Dance use of a turn in. But being faster than scarfed pokemon after 1 turn of setup does have its usess

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

LAY-ZX posted:

A better example would be Gen V Reuniclus. It had one ability that prevented all forms of indirect damage, and one ability that only prevented damage from weather (which counted as indirect damage.) And in those games, you had no way to change your Pokemon's ability, so it would be stuck with the worse version permanently. Of course next gen buffed said ability to the point where it was generally the better pick in doubles, and introduced a way to change your Pokemon's ability.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I think I'd take Motor Drive purely to add electrical immunity to the Steel/Dragon gently caress-you resistance portfolio.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
So, for non poke maniacs, why is speed so good to have when attacks are always locked one-to-one?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Added Space posted:

So, for non poke maniacs, why is speed so good to have when attacks are always locked one-to-one?

If you kill your enemy in a single hit, then they won't do anything to you, barring fringe abilities.

It may be locked one-to-one, but it's a blitzkrieg nonetheless.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Added Space posted:

If you go first, you're more likely to win damage races and you get a chance to prevent your opponent from attacking at all. Either by giving them a status ailment (sleep, freeze, paralysis), making them flinch, or just knocking them out with one attack.

It's a huge advantage in basically any circumstance.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Added Space posted:

Because pokemon is a game of rocket tag. An especially tanky pokemon might survive 3 or 4 hits. Also, when you drop one of your opponent's guys before it gets to attack your opponent doesn't get to do anything but switch in a replacement that turn.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

If it didn't learn Shift Gear, Speed Boost would be an autopick, but being immune to electric attacks - especially Thunder Wave - is really attractive and having Shift Gear makes that even better.

Added Space posted:

If your speed is higher, you move first 100% of the time, which is important because hitting the opponent before they use their healing move is better than after.

In this specific case, Iron Head has a 30% chance of preventing the opponent from taking their turn, but only if you're faster. Which our killdozer will be.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 11, 2017

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Okay, this is a great one. Nice job on this, Uranium. :3:

A backhoe dragon!????!??!?!?!?

This is... a thing, but hey, I guess-

Huge attack, reasonably fast, and decent enough defenses given steel/dragon resistances.

Except wait a minute. Speed Boost boosts its speed by one stage every turn, so its good speed becomes unassailable with due haste. Ah, those are its level-up moves down there. What's up with those?

Shift Gear, +2 speed and +1 attack. A better Dragon Dance. gently caress. So it doesn't need speed boost to become unreasonably fast unreasonably fast. Iron Head and Dragon Claw are all the STABs it needs.

That's not even counting what it gets from TMs and move tutors, which is about like 8 types worth of coverage, which you barely need. Only two types resist dragon and Iron Head dunks on one of those.

What. What the actual gently caress. :shepface:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
The thing about backhoe dragon is, it's actually the tip of the iceberg of overpowered sweepers in this game.

If anything, it's just the introduction to them.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Did OFS ever show us Tracton/Crane Beast's pokedex entry?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So, I decided to get in on this shitshow and decided to check if there was any way to trigger trade evolutions with the servers down from the DMCA. I found that cheatengine would allow it, but jesus christ look at this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemonuranium/comments/519gw5/evolving_trade_pokemon/

Apparently discussing how to get trade evolutions that are otherwise impossible to obtain is "ruining the fun" :psyduck:

edit: okay apparently the servers are back up, but still that's ridiculous

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So in what is supposed to be a fan game designed to challenge experienced players...that challenge goes straight out the window by allowing a player to acquire a Legendary-tier Pokemon not by fighting it, but by doing an easily-solvable minigame a bunch of times and just buying it. :eng99:

• Locked thread