Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BioEnchanted posted:

Was there a story behind that cameo? Did Slash have a falling out with his band? I know very little about music history...

Slash was a member of Guns n Roses, and he and Axl Rose were considered to be the heart of the band. Axl is an infamous control freak whose perfectionist tendencies caused the band to not release any albums for 15 years. Partway through that 15 year stretch, Slash got fed up with Axl's poo poo and quit the band.

It doesn't exactly match up with the story in that episode but I don't think them getting him to specifically deliver that message was a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

gently caress yes, I love the pilot and the intro looks cool.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, the OP is Imaishi all over.

Edit: I may be wrong, but does this make Ian the first black creator of a Cartoon Network original show?

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 10, 2017

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, the OP is Imaishi all over.

Edit: I may be wrong, but does this make Ian the first black creator of a Cartoon Network original show?

Adult swim has had a few, not sure if you'd count those though.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

raditts posted:

If any line of dialogue contains the word "zing" I will personally burn down that animation studio and salt the earth.

Nope..... not that I can remember. Zing is such a terrible catch word.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Okay Imaishi and Virt both rule but when will IJQ finish RPG World

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

CuddlyZombie posted:

Okay Imaishi and Virt both rule but when will IJQ finish RPG World

https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/825449631832174592

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

:gizz:

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
oh man i'm hype about OK KO. That main character is Gohan, isn't he??? That's amazing.

Also, hello thread, I also came here to discuss Star Vs. The Forces Of Evil. It kinda took me by surprise how fun and clever it is, been watching since season 2 started and everything leading up to the season finale was bonkers, in a good way. I hope this show continues to mature in interesting ways.

But yeah I'm psyched about IJQ getting his own show!! And... RPG world cameos??? is that what I am to glean from that tweet?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Lupus Rufus posted:

oh man i'm hype about OK KO. That main character is Gohan, isn't he??? That's amazing.

Kid Goku's VA.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Another short DuckTales teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj37D64hWQc

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Seen above: Footage of famed explorer Donald Duck shortly before his recent tragic killing spree

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, is there a reason why Donald isn't being voiced by Tony Anselmo anymore, or, as the case may be, why they decided to hire a second actor to voice the character in certain projects (not that you can really tell much of a difference to be fair)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 10, 2017

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I can't tell if Sonic Boom is actually good or if I just have terrible taste in cartoons.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

YggiDee posted:

I can't tell if Sonic Boom is actually good or if I just have terrible taste in cartoons.

I haven't seen it beyond a few clips, but I heard it was a bit hit and miss?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Megaspel posted:

I haven't seen it beyond a few clips, but I heard it was a bit hit and miss?
I've not seen any full episodes, but when the gags are on point they are on point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6mzBjFtcBc

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
If Tangled Before Ever After is what the series is supposed to look like, I'm impressed. The art style is super solid. Everything moves well and the density of color and shading is amazing, especially for a TV budget. I'd watch it just for the visuals.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 11, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, is there a reason why Donald isn't being voiced by Tony Anselmo anymore, or, as the case may be, why they decided to hire a second actor to voice the character in certain projects (not that you can really tell much of a difference to be fair)?

Nobody knows for sure. Sometimes Disney decides that actors don't "sound themselves" anymore, Disney once declared that the voice of Piglet didn't sound the same age anymore and hired a new one for the Pooh movies (though the old one voiced the theme park rides that opened at the same time).

On the other hand, after Wayne Allwine died they announced one of their animators would be the new Mickey voice, only to hire some Canadian for those shorts they did. So sometimes the reference voice isn't used now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Craptacular! posted:

Nobody knows for sure. Sometimes Disney decides that actors don't "sound themselves" anymore, Disney once declared that the voice of Piglet didn't sound the same age anymore and hired a new one for the Pooh movies (though the old one voiced the theme park rides that opened at the same time).

On the other hand, after Wayne Allwine died they announced one of their animators would be the new Mickey voice, only to hire some Canadian for those shorts they did. So sometimes the reference voice isn't used now.

Well it is something of a tradition at Disney to do so, as seen with Walt retiring as Mickey's voice when he felt he couldn't do it consistently enough anymore due to his smoking and aging

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

I see, I just thought it was kind of odd that they would suddenly use one actor for some productions and another for others rather than do a full replacement (especially seeing as Bret Iwan and Bill Farmer continue to voice their characters in everything they appear in).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

drrockso20 posted:

Well it is something of a tradition at Disney to do so, as seen with Walt retiring as Mickey's voice when he felt he couldn't do it consistently enough anymore due to his smoking and aging

Yeah, that's the famous example. A smilies-yet-different example is when they bought the Muppets around 2006, one of the first things they did was they fired all the old performers and made them re-audition for their roles, which made some old-timers mad. Some Henson performers remained (I know Dr Honeydew has been the same guy forever), I believe some were replaced, and some saw the writing on the wall and took it as a sign to retire.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Ofaloaf posted:

I've not seen any full episodes, but when the gags are on point they are on point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6mzBjFtcBc

That's amazing, it reminds me of one of my favorite gags from Chowder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGb-2oVDWXk

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I miss Chowder. Pretty underrated show.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Finished binging Star Vs with my gf, this show is pretty freaking good. Not much to say that hasn't been said, but we had a blast and I love how much like Marco I used to be.

OK KO finally being a show is dope, the new Ducktales looks dope and if nothing else, the new TMNT season intro looks dope.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Gann Jerrod posted:

That's amazing, it reminds me of one of my favorite gags from Chowder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGb-2oVDWXk

:catstare: This made me uncomfortable, was all of Chowder like that?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

okay 3 2 1 let's jam

[TMNT!]

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
ALTERNATE JOKE: "cowboy bebop (and rocksteady)"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

okay 3 2 1 let's jam

[TMNT!]

I thought this was a stretch until the horns started and jesus, they're not even being subtle about it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What's up with TMNT now? Why is it Tales of now? Also did season 4 continue to drag?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Electric Phantasm posted:

What's up with TMNT now? Why is it Tales of now? Also did season 4 continue to drag?

Well, after foreshadowing Splinter's death all season, it ends with Splinter dying and Leo apparently cutting Shredder's head off in the last episode.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Electric Phantasm posted:

I saw the last eight or so episodes of s4 and it actually managed to get good.

Season 5 is getting "Tales of" in the title and it'll be 7 different story arcs it seems? Like, seven stories that last 3-4 episodes each if i'm understanding things right.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

*silent inhale* That intro looks catchy, but without sound on the animation itself look... okay..? The intro graphics looks really acceptable (quite good, actually) when they have some solid shading and the turtles were not moving at all or just slightly (fluttering headbands), but the 3d white silhouettes made me super sad to watch because that stuff tends to not age well at all unless they are very, very careful with not depending too much on the 'tweening' animation tool from pose A to pose B.

For some reason, 3D televised series always had trouble with this. 2D animation on the other hand never really stagnates as quickly just because the style itself (SAMURAI JACK) just looks dope as all hell and probably will still look dope a decade from now. Even older kids show intros like The Magic School Bus has such a consistent cult following for many years, but that's partially due to the sick opening intro song, but they still handled quick motion of the bus transforming and stuff to be poppy. I think that if the animation in that intro was any less poppy, it might've decreased its longevity. Not by much though, because that intro song is ****ing amazing. 3D, on the other hand..... *silent inhale* I'd give it 5 years, or 10 if I'm feeling very generous.

The best solution for 3D tv series intro is to just pour as much budget into the intro's animation quality as possible. If the animator/client chooses to only rely on the show's episode-quality animation, it could work? But the overall show would have to be dang impressive to be that easily transferable. The only real solution I've found is to just make sure movements are as poppy as possible and have strong secondary motion (hair, hanging cloth, etc) to help describe the path the character took to go from pose A to B.

HelloWinter fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 12, 2017

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm watching through the first two seasons of Gumball. The Authority, the one where Granny JoJo comes to visit and makes the kids all act like Richard, is the best I've seen so far. It would've been great in the first few episodes of the first season because I was annoyed with Richard following the Homer Simpson/Peter Griffin trend.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I miss Chowder. Pretty underrated show.
I like how Gazpacho was just Master Shake except more honest about how pathetic he is. Same Dana Snyder voice and all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We're also officially out of new Gumballs.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just rediscovered an old gem - the Best Episode of old British 70s/80s(? Sources vary) claymation cartoon Trapdoor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldlCD7GR2JI

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I am pretty stoked for the new Ducktales, though my excitement has flagged just the tiniest bit upon learning Alex Hirsch won't be showrunner.

Launchpad's "Oh no the ground" in the trailer kills me every time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Applewhite posted:

I am pretty stoked for the new Ducktales, though my excitement has flagged just the tiniest bit upon learning Alex Hirsch won't be showrunner.

Launchpad's "Oh no the ground" in the trailer kills me every time.

It's the Launchpaddiest thing he could say, it's not enough to not see a building, no, as soon as he looks away from the windscreen, the plane goes into a nosedive.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

loving horrible. :( Good luck, Stephen.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/spongebob-squarepants-creator-stephen-hillenburg-reveals-als-diagnosis-1202007865/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Craptacular! posted:

Tony Anselmo voiced Donald in the half hour Christmas episode of the Mickey shorts a couple months ago and they also had different VAs for Scrooge and the nephews, but I guess as long as they were stuntcasting the rest of the voice cast for DuckTales, they figured they'd just go ahead and replace everyone. If I had to guess, they replaced him as Donald for that one show for whatever reason (unless that was his last Donald voice role, since he's also replaced in that Mickey-themed Wacky Races knockoff).