Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

FrostyPox posted:

The game plays fast and fun and is solid competitively.

This is only true when comparing AoS to other GW games (and maybe not even then).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also when people worry about getting Sigmared it's in the sense of "My setting set on fire and thrown in a dumpster."

Any GW game's rules are already/will already be a trainwreck after all.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I though Blood Bowl was reasonable as a game but I only ever played the pc games so :shrug:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

tbh I think AoS's uptick is because:
1.) It's new
2.) That really long deadspace between the release of 8th and the really, really slow trickle of army books did WHFB no favors
3.) GW fanbois

I don't know quite how bad MKIII's stumble was but, anecdotally, the game did not do any worse locally.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LordAbaddon posted:

I though Blood Bowl was reasonable as a game but I only ever played the pc games so :shrug:

Blood Bowl is good, but you have to take it for what it is: a random number generator that hates you. Half the game is setting up the field to roll the least amount of dice while forcing your opponent to roll the most dice.

Fun models for a good game:

EDIT: OMG the snake have little roboarms! :eyepop:

LordAba fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 11, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

LordAba posted:

Blood Bowl is good, but you have to take it for what it is: a random number generator that hates you. Half the game is setting up the field to roll the least amount of dice while forcing your opponent to roll the most dice.

Fun models for a good game:

EDIT: OMG the snake have little roboarms! :eyepop:

I have no desire to take up another minis game but these models own, drat

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Those are holy loving balls amazing, but Wrath of Kings seemed to die out almost immediately locally :(

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Honestly I would not be surprised if any uptick in AOS is because a bunch of people realized that as bad as it is, you can still reliably find a GW game in most places. There are lots of games that are much better, but you will never get a chance to play unless you buy all the stuff for both armies and then browbeat some nerd into playing it with you. It sucks, but GW, even at AOS levels, is essentially the McDonalds of wargaming - yea, its dull and crappy and probably bad for you, but you can get the same reliable set of choices all across the country. :shrug:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

One of the reasons I got into Dark Age was to be able to get two armies together so I can just play with whoever. I might grab some WoK guys too but I've already got a lot of little fellers to paint.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ashcans posted:

Honestly I would not be surprised if any uptick in AOS is because a bunch of people realized that as bad as it is, you can still reliably find a GW game in most places. There are lots of games that are much better, but you will never get a chance to play unless you buy all the stuff for both armies and then browbeat some nerd into playing it with you. It sucks, but GW, even at AOS levels, is essentially the McDonalds of wargaming - yea, its dull and crappy and probably bad for you, but you can get the same reliable set of choices all across the country. :shrug:

In more rural areas i can understand that but I would imagine that almost all major cities have a warmahordes scene and most either have malifaux, infinity, or both.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I don't think you need an elaborate explanation for why AoS is popular. This is a world where every Transformers movie makes a billion dollars.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Avenging Dentist posted:

I don't think you need an elaborate explanation for why AoS is popular. This is a world where every Transformers movie makes a billion dollars.

Are you accusing China of making AoS popular?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Only if China can be blamed for Nickelback too. I know I certainly can't scrute why people would listen to them.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging Dentist posted:

Only if China can be blamed for Nickelback too. I know I certainly can't scrute why people would listen to them.

Hey! At least Nickleback has that one song.

The joke is that all Nickleback songs sound the same.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

FrostyPox posted:

Those are holy loving balls amazing, but Wrath of Kings seemed to die out almost immediately locally :(

Same happened here. A bunch of people backed the KS then just as quickly tried to sell them off mere weeks after delivery, and I don't think I ever saw anyone play a single game at the LGS.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Slimnoid posted:

Same happened here. A bunch of people backed the KS then just as quickly tried to sell them off mere weeks after delivery, and I don't think I ever saw anyone play a single game at the LGS.

I'm really hoping that The Other Side doesn't suffer the same fate

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

LordAbaddon posted:

I'm really hoping that The Other Side doesn't suffer the same fate

I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The other side looks a bit crap

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

The other side looks a bit crap

I got a buddy who did playtesting for it before it went to kickstarter and he raved about it, but nothing about it save some of the models excite me. It's a bit of a hard sell when the market is already packed with 28mm mass battle games, and when the mechanics come off as watered-down Malifaux with none of the charm or depth.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Wrath of Kings support seems to be ongoing but it looks like an uphill struggle - CMoN apparently had a load of stuff on a Hanjin ship when the line went bankrupt and that screwed some of their distributor relations. Looks like they might finally have a UK distributor again, and I've had some success getting interest at my local club, but the lack of product hasn't helped.

Pity, because it's a way better 'skirmish' game than AoS.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

TBH I can see where the bitterness comes from, but this dude is kind of convincing me in the other direction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Aga1D2YtKQ

NB: He explicitly avoids mentioning the actual gameplay!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

NB: He explicitly avoids mentioning the actual gameplay!

I feel like that's what you gotta do if you're gonna sell people on sigmos.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Xarbala posted:

I feel like that's what you gotta do if you're gonna sell people on sigmos.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
AoS is really good if you just avoid the gameplay

also the setting I guess

and the models too

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The best way to play AoS is by posting about it in this thread.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

FrostyPox posted:

There are a ton of good things about AoS.

Compared to leprosy? Yeah, definitely.

FrostyPox posted:

Same, I see people talk about it constantly but I've never met anyone who plays :smith:

LordAbaddon posted:

In more rural areas i can understand that but I would imagine that almost all major cities have a warmahordes scene and most either have malifaux, infinity, or both.

I wonder if the lack of a widely-played "simple" game isn't a factor. Granted, warhammer (or 40k) aren't exactly paragons, but they're what a lot of people grew up with and learned that Wargames Are, so a lot of people internalised it, while Malifaux and Infinity are both very intricate games, and warmahordes has a lot of moving parts to play a faction correctly.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hours spent painting all these fancy mans with tumor-chins, popeye arms and impossible capes. It'd sure be a shame if the game ended at the bottom of the first turn because you lost one figure out of the 20 on your side of the board. :v:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

spectralent posted:

I wonder if the lack of a widely-played "simple" game isn't a factor. Granted, warhammer (or 40k) aren't exactly paragons, but they're what a lot of people grew up with and learned that Wargames Are, so a lot of people internalised it, while Malifaux and Infinity are both very intricate games, and warmahordes has a lot of moving parts to play a faction correctly.

This is why I like Deadzone. You can learn to play in about 5 minutes.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

LordAbaddon posted:

The Blood Bowl novels are some quality Warhammer novels.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is why I like Deadzone. You can learn to play in about 5 minutes.

Also Mantic are doing a skirmish game later this year on KS, alternately referred to as Fantasy Deadzone or not-Mordheim. Combining the factions/minis (plus new hard plastic troop sprues funded with it) from Kings of War and the pedigree of Deadzone as a ruleset should make for a good skirmish game, but it won't be at retail until 2018.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spectralent posted:

Same, I see people talk about it constantly but I've never met anyone who plays :smith:

Anyone going to Adepticon? I'll kick your rear end in Wrath of Kings. I have have a couple armies to chose from.

EDIT: Some people collect miniatures, I collect miniature games.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

NTRabbit posted:

Also Mantic are doing a skirmish game later this year on KS, alternately referred to as Fantasy Deadzone or not-Mordheim. Combining the factions/minis (plus new hard plastic troop sprues funded with it) from Kings of War and the pedigree of Deadzone as a ruleset should make for a good skirmish game, but it won't be at retail until 2018.

Finally a place to use the old mordheim ruins!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

NTRabbit posted:

I need this like I need another hole in my head so I guess I better go get a drill.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Not a viking posted:

Finally a place to use the old mordheim ruins!

Amongst other things no doubt!

And to answer the... naysayers before they ask, yes it's another Mantic KS; yes, they really could fund the development and printing of the new rulebook out of pocket, and even some new resin/metal characters they can now produce in house, but the real reason they're going to KS is to use the preorder money to fund the production of as many new/replacement hard plastic troop sprues for Kings of War as they think they can get, and probably some terrain as well. Hard plastic moulds are expensive, small companies can't pay for them without a pre-production cash injection (preorder/bank loan/crowdfunding) etc

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How many AoS/ 40k games go longer than 3 turns? It seems like you normally get 2 or 3 chances to make some decisions, then the game ends. In 5 hours.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

ilmucche posted:

How many AoS/ 40k games go longer than 3 turns? It seems like you normally get 2 or 3 chances to make some decisions, then the game ends. In 5 hours.

I keep watching it be played and this is basically it. There's not really anything to comment on, just a turn or so of moving them you resolve combat for ages.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

spectralent posted:

I'm actually really enjoying Battletech Alpha Strike for this exact reason. The base rules are simple as hell and flow really well, and the advance rules can be added in piecemeal until you have a game as complex or simple as you want.

Also I love the chunky derpbots.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Skirmish games (Malifaux, Wrath of Kings/Dark Age, even Kings of War if you are talking about unit footprint, Infinity) tend to scale very well model wise. Warmahordes is between a war game and a skirmish game (compare a 75 point game to a battlebox game) so it scales as well.

Infinity and Warmahordes tends not to scale very well rulewise. Warmahordes is a totally different game at larger points when infantry and blocking become key. Infinity goes from "roll a D20, here are the basics of AROs" to "LINK TEAMS WARGEAR LOSS OF LIEUTENANT ARGH" very quickly.

40k doesn't scale down on both fronts; see taking a landraider in a 1000 points or less game against orks. That is the one thing that Age of Sigmar does well I guess, but it is at the cost of everything feeling the same rulewise.
That's why I'm sad people are saying Wrath of Kings isn't something they see being played... it really is everything that Age of Sigmar was going for but implemented well. That box up there? Has a single 30mm, 4x40mm, and 2x50mm models for 50USD. That represents about half an army point-wise. You can get a good, legal Shael Han force for about... 135 bucks. To play the biggest Battle sized games, add about 50-100 dollars on to that, though most of the time you will be playing the Skirmish level. In comparison the GW Prosecutors box is 6 models for 75USD, and they are smaller models to boot... not to mention that this is a cheaper way to get them than before. They used to be something like 40-45 dollars for 3 of them!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 11, 2017

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Man i'd love to play one of these games but I'm afraid i'd spend the money and A) get frustrated halfway through and stop painting or B) not be able to find a game. There's a group I know of that plays AoS and Warmahordes, but KoW seems like such a better investment of money. Sigh. The closest i've come to playing these was the Dark Vengeance 40k box. I painted all of the Chaos minis and some of the Space Marines. I played maybe two games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

TheHoosier posted:

Man i'd love to play one of these games but I'm afraid i'd spend the money and A) get frustrated halfway through and stop painting or B) not be able to find a game. There's a group I know of that plays AoS and Warmahordes, but KoW seems like such a better investment of money. Sigh. The closest i've come to playing these was the Dark Vengeance 40k box. I painted all of the Chaos minis and some of the Space Marines. I played maybe two games.

Invest in an airbrush and play a skeleton faction my duder

• Locked thread